HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Boston-Buffalo thought..... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=14143)

TehDoak 09-24-2003 08:00 PM

Boston-Buffalo thought.....

Buffalo has a stockpile of NHL ready centers, while the Bs have very few (well, very few good ones). Would Boston be interested in maybe Curtis Brown (a 2nd line pivot under a coach who's convinced he's a 3rd line guy) or Connolly to anchor their 2nd line? If so, what would you give up for them? Just curious to see if there's any interest from the Bs side of it and if they are in dire need of a 2nd line center.

nathan 09-24-2003 08:04 PM

Do the B's need a 2nd line center? I understand that w/ the trade of Stumpel, but Rolston got bumped up, right?

As for your proposed players, I don't think Connolly will cut it as a 2nd line center just yet.

Enoch 09-24-2003 08:05 PM

they do need a center, but aside from draft picks, I see them without any assets to trade that would be in the best interest of the team.

The Piglet 09-25-2003 01:45 AM

We'll give you Lapointe for either of those two. No? C'mon....

Seriously, the Bruins need a #2, no doubt. Brown would be nice. Connolly could be nice, but I have my doubts about him. As Enoch pointed out, I don't see what the bruins could give up, though, outside of older, marginal players. We do need our top prospects. What would be The Sabres' biggest need?

CelticSabre 09-25-2003 02:15 AM

i wouldnt mind Berrard or Boynton

TehDoak 09-25-2003 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillerTime
i wouldnt mind Berrard or Boynton

Neither of those fill a need for Buffalo now that they have Delmore, IMHO. How about.....

To Buffalo: Huml, 2nd
To Boston: Brown

brianscot 09-25-2003 02:49 AM

Boynton is a better all around defenseman than Delmore and hasnt reached his potential at all yet.

Boston will resign him, but this being Boston, it make take a while.

With Patrice Bergeron making a huge splash in camp, plus Russian rookie Zinojkev and Andy Hilbert, I dont think the Bruins are going to panic right away.

If no prospect is ready to step in, after receiving a legitimate look, look for a possible deal.

Boston's obvious weaknesses remain goal (oh lord, is it goal) and a consistent defense.

neelynugs 09-25-2003 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdoak
Neither of those fill a need for Buffalo now that they have Delmore, IMHO. How about.....

you can have huml for brown, but you won't be getting a 2nd rounder as well. an overpaid, underachieving 3rd line center wouldn't fetch that much.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 09-25-2003 04:32 AM

Quote:

Boynton certainly fills a need in Buffalo. I agree Berard does not.

Buffalo's #1 need IMO is the lack of RH defensemen.

Zhitnik - can play RD, but much better on LD. Put him back on LD, and he will be a top 15 defenseman.

Tallinder - can play RD, but much better on LD.

McKee - cannot play RD to save his life.

Kalinin - cannot play RD to save his life.

Campbell - much better at LD.

Patrick - can play RD, but in limited minutes due to his age.

Fitzpatrick - can play RD, but is he good enough to crack the top 6?

Delmore - can play RD, but do defensive liabilities mean his time is limited to PP and ES when the Sabres are trailing?

No chance we get Boynton for Brown, though. We have 5 quality LD. If we could deal one of them with Brown for Boynton, I would be all over that, assuming Boynton could be signed for a reasonable salary. Boynton's more physical than anyone on our defense except when Zhitnik gets angry or he is playing in the playoffs (unless McKee regains his 1999-2000 form). That addresses another weakness we have.

How about the following:

Boynton

for

Noronen
Campbell

OR

Boynton
Jillson

for

Noronen
Campbell
Kalinin

Ironchef Chris Wok* 09-25-2003 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs
you can have huml for brown, but you won't be getting a 2nd rounder as well. an overpaid, underachieving 3rd line center wouldn't fetch that much.

He's not underachieving. he does everythign asked of him. He checks, he kills penalties, he wins faceoffs... I'd love to have him on my team. A little expensive, but is probably better than Lapointe at 1/5 (i think) of his pricetag.

Bruwinz37 09-25-2003 05:06 AM

Quote:

Let me get this straight, now that you have Delmore you have no use for Boynton? ROFLMAO! Now THAT is funny!

Berard, yea, I can see that...but Boynton? You need to watch some more B's games my friend.

KillToronto 09-25-2003 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
How about the following:

Boynton

for

Noronen
Campbell

OR

Boynton
Jillson

for

Noronen
Campbell
Kalinin

I wouldn't trade Kalinin for Boynton alone. Definitely wouldn't trade a potential number one goalie, and decent #4/5 defenseman for Boynton. And I would rather have Campbell and Kalinin over Jillson and Boynton. Maybe thats just me, but I really like Kalinin and I think Campbell still has time to come into his own and really emerge.

Mayhem 09-25-2003 10:55 AM

I disagree...

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs

...nugs in regards to Brown being overpaid and underachieving. I think a solid defensive third line center has been a missing ingredient on this team since the departure of Tim Taylor(and remember how valuable he was) and Curtis Brown has done everything he has been asked in Buffalo from what I have seen and read. And coming in at according to the NHLPA site $1.6mill a season thats not too cost prohibitive. But having said that a 2nd might be a bit high maybe Huml and a conditional pick depending on how Huml performs.

neelynugs 09-25-2003 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayhem
...nugs in regards to Brown being overpaid and underachieving. I think a solid defensive third line center has been a missing ingredient on this team since the departure of Tim Taylor(and remember how valuable he was) and Curtis Brown has done everything he has been asked in Buffalo from what I have seen and read. And coming in at according to the NHLPA site $1.6mill a season thats not too cost prohibitive. But having said that a 2nd might be a bit high maybe Huml and a conditional pick depending on how Huml performs.

don't get me wrong, i love brown as a player. but he had a crap year last season, and makes a lot of money for a 3rd liner. do we need him? absolutely. is he worth huml AND a 2nd rounder? i think it's a bit much. huml + conditional pick seems fair, but i think a 4th is more appropriate.

Vatican Roulette 09-25-2003 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
He's not underachieving. he does everythign asked of him. He checks, he kills penalties, he wins faceoffs... I'd love to have him on my team. A little expensive, but is probably better than Lapointe at 1/5 (i think) of his pricetag.

exactly the type of guy every team needs. His salary is a reflection of how much he does for the team, i agree.

Takeo 09-25-2003 04:37 PM

Brown + Noronen for Boynton + conditional 1st/2nd

Takeo 09-25-2003 04:44 PM

Brown + Noronen for Boynton + 2nd