HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   2013 Season Columbus Blue Jacket Team Appreciation Thread!! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1414827)

anteater90 04-28-2013 08:08 AM

2013 Season Columbus Blue Jacket Team Appreciation Thread!!

I am so proud of this team this year. I have been going to NHL games since the 1970's and I can't ever remember being this proud of a team. For the first time since their inception I see long term hope.

Thank you Veteran's for providing leadership and cohesion.

Thank you Youngster's for finally letting us point to our young ones and going see who we have.

Next year will not be here soon enough.

CBJwheel 04-28-2013 08:18 AM

I am disappointed. Disappointed in the outcome. Not disappointed in the team at all.

I don't think I had ever been so excited about hockey. I feel bad for the boys being just on the outside looking in. I hope they don't take it too hard and learn from it.

October can't come soon enough.

Thank you Blue Jackets!! You've made the last two months very exciting. Next season, the battle moves East!

OldGoaltender 04-28-2013 08:38 AM

I would have loved to see this team in the playoffs, we were one of the hottest teams in the second half of the season. I'm sad we didn't get the opportunity I think we could have actually won a series or two. With that said I could not be prouder of this team, for once in a long time we weren't the laughingstock of the league.

I also have high hopes next year. We have a great base and a stellar net minder. If we can add a couple wingers this team should be able to pick up where it left off next year.

Jaymond Flurrie 04-28-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGoaltender (Post 64825339)
I would have loved to see this team in the playoffs, we were one of the hottest teams in the second half of the season. I'm sad we didn't get the opportunity I think we could have actually won a series or two. With that said I could not be prouder of this team, for once in a long time we weren't the laughingstock of the league.

I also have high hopes next year. We have a great base and a stellar net minder. If we can add a couple wingers this team should be able to pick up where it left off next year.

I stated this in another thread too, but it is worth of repeating: After Kekäläinen took over CBJ played the rest of the season with a record that would have won President's Trophy in 2011-12. A team in that kind of form has to be taken seriusly in playoffs too.

Sentinel 04-28-2013 09:25 AM

Guys, congratulations on a terrific run. You have really pushed for it, and I really wanted you to make it, and not those underachieving Minnesota Millionaires. You have all the ingredients to make a splash next year. Good luck!

GoJackets1 04-28-2013 09:27 AM

19-5-5 run to end the season
Full year of Gabby
Development of Cam, Joey, Calvert, Erixon, and Prout
Emergence of Letestu
New, Winning culture created by Jarmo and JD, with the help of Vinny, Jack, and all of the Rangers acquisitions.
The correct decision in retaining Todd Richards.
Ryan Murray.
Boone Jenner.
3 first round picks.
The trades that are sure to occur to give the Jackets even more scoring threats.
The fact that now, free agents may actually be willing to come play here.
The great priced extensions that 3 players have signed so far, which bodes well for the next 2..
But most of all, the emergence of Bob.

There are a lot of reasons to be excited for next year, and many years to come. Thank you Jackets for making me believe again.

plong123 04-28-2013 09:33 AM

Thank you, 2013 CBJ. You are my favorite hockey team ever.

gocbj 04-28-2013 09:35 AM

It was a good run for sure - -

4-10-2 in the first 16
9-3-4 in the middle 16
11-4-1 to end it

Wake me up when September ends...

BlueJacket2 04-28-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gojackets1 (Post 64826099)
Full year of Gabby
Emergence of Letestu
New, Winning culture created by Jarmo and JD, with the help of Vinny, Jack, and all of the Rangers acquisitions.
Ryan Murray.
Boone Jenner.
3 first round picks.
The trades that are sure to occur to give the Jackets even more scoring threats.
The great priced extensions that 3 players have signed so far, which bodes well for the next 2..

There are a lot of reasons to be excited for next year, and many years to come. Thank you Jackets for making me believe again.

Thank you for making me feel a little better.

Ludicrous Speed 04-28-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Full year of Gabby
Emergence of Letestu
Ryan Murray.
Boone Jenner.
3 first round picks.

You nailed it. This team has a lot of promise, and as bittersweet as the season is, I think it could be a good thing that we missed the post-season by such a narrow margin. For all intents and purposes, we're gonna have the same team next year, with the same leadership group and hopefully the same coaching staff. We're gonna be hungry next year. We're gonna want to prove to the league that this wasn't a fluke.

I can't wait for it to come.

Speedy Sanderson 04-28-2013 11:12 AM

What the Jackets' 2013 season did for me is make me legitimately excited for next season. Can't say I've felt that way since 2000-2001. I had an inkling that the 2008-2009 season was a bit of a farce - I don't think this past one was.

The youngsters like Atkinson, Calvert, Johansen and Prout didn't crack at all down the stretch which says something about them. Dubinsky, Johnson, Vinny and Umby all provided solid leadership. I was really impressed with the skill of Foligno and Anisimov. Obviously Bob was amazing, and I tend to think he won't have a Mason-like encore because he works so darn hard. Gaborik is still a bit of a question, but it wasn't like he was terrible for us.

I'm hoping that in 10 years we look back at 2013 as the season the Jackets became legit and Columbus started to become a hockey town.

IBleedUnionBlue 04-28-2013 11:18 AM

I enjoyed this shortened season beyond any year outside the playoff year.

The CBJ were 12-3-4 on games I attended in 2013. ( I also got to attend 14 Ft Wayne Komets games due to the lockout) I traveled 4908 miles to watch the Blue Jackets play in 2013.

My favorite moments from games I attended ...
#1 - The 3rd period last night.
#2 - The opening night win in Nashville.

ikeman79 04-28-2013 11:23 AM

Hi, Blues fan here. I am happy for you guys. I'm sorry you missed the playoffs, I think you guys could have made some noise this year. I just wanted to say you guys are headed in the right direction and your management will take you in the right direction.

Jarmo drafted almost all of our core players, he was was excellent and I was sad when he went. He wanted to be a GM so I am happy for him and you guys, because I know he will do you a great job.

JD is awesome also, if it weren't for those two the Blues would still be swimming in a sea of lousy.

I wish you guys the best in the East, I will miss the rivalry, playing you guys was always fun. Atleast with you guys getting really good, your one less thing in our division to worry about. Unless we meet in cup finals! Which would be pretty nice!!

So as your former rival fan, I commend you on a great season and want you to know, you guys are really headed in a great direction. I wish you the best in the East and hope bright days are ahead for you guys, you deserve it. I think its coming.

Have a great off season, I hope Jarmo and JD work some more of their magic to help your roster even more.

Sincerely,
Your former Central Division fan,
Ikeman79

ikeman79 04-28-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 64826057)
Guys, congratulations on a terrific run. You have really pushed for it, and I really wanted you to make it, and not those underachieving Minnesota Millionaires. You have all the ingredients to make a splash next year. Good luck!

Yep, same thing I thought. I'm a Blues fan and was bummed Minnesota and Detroit made it over Columbus. I was rooting for the Jackets because of how awesome it was coming together for them this year and especially since acquiring Gamborik.

Sad that a team that spent a bazillion dollars got in over a true team play team. Oh well I figure Minnesota is going to get trounced anyways. After watching what Edmonton did to them at home, I can only imaging what the Hawks will do to them in Chicago. Aww well, two of the guys there can pay for every ones golf this summer lol.

Sorry Jackets, no worries as I said again. Your day is coming and its looking pretty good so far. You will be happy when the cap goes down and your management didn't tie up the whole thing on two guys. Team play is way better. Have a great day, brighter days are ahead.

slacketbacker 04-28-2013 11:36 AM

Absolutely Fantastic Season. I loved every minute, even when we were losing you could see improvement in how we played as they adapted to a new system, new team and new leadership.

I had tears in my eyes when Jack's goal went in last night. Cam's empty net followed by the joy expressed by the team and the fans in the arena was simply moving. Yesterday was like Christmas for me. I have waited for a game like that - with all of you - for years.

It was so loud in the arena last night that my ears rang until early this morning!

I simply love what we have going in Columbus. I can't wait for next year. We would have won games in the playoffs - no question about that. Chicago and Anaheim are lucky they don't have to think about us in the first round.

Thank you Columbus Blue Jackets!

Fro 04-28-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Full year of Gabby
Emergence of Letestu
Ryan Murray.
Boone Jenner.
3 first round picks.

couldn't say it any better...

Mayor Bee 04-28-2013 11:38 AM

The keyword for this season was "vindication".

Coming into this year, we heard the following:
- Jack Johnson and James Wisniewski were poor defensemen
- Sergei Bobrovsky couldn't be counted on to be a #1 goalie
- Anisimov, Dubinsky, and Erixon couldn't come close to replacing Rick Nash
- The youngsters (Atkinson, Calvert, Prout) wouldn't crack the roster of better teams
- The team had no heart, no skill, and no grit
- Todd Richards couldn't coach
- A full-scale rebuild was necessary
- I won't say it, but you know what I'm thinking
- There was no fan base, and no one outside of a handful cared about hockey in Columbus

In the span of three months, every single one of those was pretty decisively laid to rest. And not just here among us, but around the league. That's a hell of an achievement in a very short period of time.

RDriesenUD 04-28-2013 11:49 AM

I am very proud of this team and the way they played. They play hard and as a TEAM. We have changed our culture and set a precedence for how you have to play if you join our team. That is huge and the best thing that came from this season.

I would have loved for us to make the playoffs, and I think we could have done good, but not making it might be better for this team. I know we aren't likely to win the draft lottery, but we still need to get the highest pick possible this year. Next year is the year we should make the playoffs and start a tradition of making it more often than not.

Nanabijou 04-28-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee (Post 64829583)

- The youngsters (Atkinson, Calvert, Prout) wouldn't crack the roster of better teams
- There was no fan base, and no one outside of a handful cared about hockey in Columbus

In the span of three months, every single one of those was pretty decisively laid to rest. And not just here among us, but around the league. That's a hell of an achievement in a very short period of time.

Agreed 100%.

The key is for the players to not rest on their laurels and come ready to pick up where they left off next year.

Remember 2009-10? At training camp, the T-shirts the players had made up said 'On the rise' and everyone seemed to assume that the team would build on their brief playoff run. Instead there were rumors of players showing up out of shape (Commie, Mason, Jake), and the key leaders were missing that could have maybe helped to right the ship (Peca, Manny). The team spiraled into 3 years of the darkest period in this franchise's history.

I don't think the players on this team will fall prey to the mentality that afflicted the 2009-2010 team. But, they should learn from the brief history of this club and realize that nothing should be taken for granted.

Maybe missing the playoffs will end up being a blessing in disguise to keep this team hungry, as others here have suggested.

pete goegan 04-28-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slacketbacker (Post 64829521)
Absolutely Fantastic Season. I loved every minute, even when we were losing you could see improvement in how we played as they adapted to a new system, new team and new leadership.

I had tears in my eyes when Jack's goal went in last night. Cam's empty net followed by the joy expressed by the team and the fans in the arena was simply moving. Yesterday was like Christmas for me. I have waited for a game like that - with all of you - for years.

It was so loud in the arena last night that my ears rang until early this morning!

I simply love what we have going in Columbus. I can't wait for next year. We would have won games in the playoffs - no question about that. Chicago and Anaheim are lucky they don't have to think about us in the first round.

Thank you Columbus Blue Jackets!

Well said! I thought Cam was going to go right into the net with the puck on that open netter! Needless to say, he wouldn't even have had to bend down. The play he made behind the net before, I think, JJ's goal was spectacular - he must have changed directions a half-dozen times! The defender looked dizzy trying to keep up. Just one of the young guys who we learned to appreciate, this season, and from whom we will expect so much next year!

committedindian86 04-28-2013 11:53 AM

Was pulling for you guys to make it, even though you'd be a tougher first round opponent. Congrats on an exciting season. You'll be in contention next year for sure.

Speedy Sanderson 04-28-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee (Post 64829583)

Haven't seen many, if any, posts on the mains recently about Columbus' legitimacy as an NHL town going forward. I think people saw that given a legitimate product to watch, Columbus fans rank pretty high in passion for their team.

22FUTON9 04-28-2013 12:02 PM

Congrats coming from an avs fan! the future is bright for your team!

I really hope if the avs aren't winning the lottery, that the bj win it.

Bob should win the Vezina, no question and he should also win the hart

RDriesenUD 04-28-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete goegan (Post 64830023)
Well said! I thought Cam was going to go right into the net with the puck on that open netter! Needless to say, he wouldn't even have had to bend down. The play he made behind the net before, I think, JJ's goal was spectacular - he must have changed directions a half-dozen times! The defender looked dizzy trying to keep up. Just one of the young guys who we learned to appreciate, this season, and from whom we will expect so much next year!

Yep, that was a great play. He finally came out and left it for Jack as he came in, IIRC.

gojacketsgo61 04-28-2013 12:22 PM

Great season. If we just had a bounce or two go our way, we would be in the playoffs. This was a team that was supposed to be a bottom feeder (And was for the first bit). Thankfully, there was a change in attitude and our players started playing. I guarantee if the season was longer we would have made it. The start killed us unfortunately.

However, with a young core (That should only get better with time), an emerging goalie as well as a few vets, this team will be exciting for the next while for sure. For the very first time I can actually say I just want next year to start so we can make our first real playoff run (08-09 wasn't really a run).

Just some things that I'm looking forward to in the upcoming months:

- 3 first round picks in a very deep draft. May even bundle a couple and move up.

- Young core developing further

- Free agency. With the team doing well, players may actually want to sign. Also, with probably $10-$14 million to play with (Depending on how much people resign for), we could acquire a top scoring forward.

- Everything else. Seriously. I literally can't wait to see this team play again. I've been a fan since the beginning (Literally, bought a jersey when I was little just when they were announced and available) and this is the first time I can say I can't wait to see a full 82 game Columbus Blue Jackets season. Hopefully I can make the 6 hour drive down one night and see my first game next year.