HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   How Big of a Threat is Detroit? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1414887)

Wingsfan2965* 04-28-2013 09:56 AM

How Big of a Threat is Detroit?

The biggest problem everybody was saying they have was defense. They finished 5th overall in goals against. In the last 11 games they've allowed 14 goals. Jimmy Howard has a .942 SV% in the month of April.

If their offense can continue what they did this week, how big of a threat can they be? Getting back Darren Helm and potentially bringing up Tomas Tatar could be huge for them as well.

oXo Cube 04-28-2013 10:03 AM

Any team with good goaltending is dangerous in the playoffs

Wings have good goaltending

Elysian 04-28-2013 10:08 AM

I think they'll take Anaheim out but not much else.

MilanKraft 04-28-2013 10:11 AM

Good chance they beat Anaheim unfortunately.

Should play the Hawks tough.

6 wins in the playoffs I see.

The Nose 04-28-2013 10:15 AM

Helm isn't going to be healthy for the playoffs and Tatar is leading Grand Rapids right now.

Pierre Dagenais 04-28-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 (Post 64828333)
The biggest problem everybody was saying they have was defense. They finished 5th overall in goals against. In the last 11 games they've allowed 14 goals. Jimmy Howard has a .942 SV% in the month of April.

If their offense can continue what they did this week, how big of a threat can they be? Getting back Darren Helm and potentially bringing up Tomas Tatar could be huge for them as well.

I think they'll be a good match for Anaheim. I predict Detroit winning in 7 games.

I think it's really the last year for Detroit to make any noise in the playoffs. They aren't as dominant as they were in the last couple of years and their core is getting older and older. Not to mention they'll have to play in the tougher conference next year.

Yotes90 04-28-2013 10:20 AM

They are a cup contending team. Started doing great at the right time. I have high hopes for them.

Pavels Dog 04-28-2013 10:21 AM

Realistically they have no chance in a 7-game series against Chicago/Pittsburgh, but other than that I think they could beat anyone. Which leaves them in the same threat level as almost all teams in the playoffs except maybe Minnesota and the Isles.

They're finally finding chemistry offensively, with 4 lines all looking good. Defense has been very solid since Dekeyser came in, and Howard is playing beastly. It's been fun to watch the evolution of Detroit this season, they've come a long way. Still I hope Red Wings fans lower their expectations, imo every single win in the playoffs is a bonus for us, this is a rebuilding season and playoffs was our main goal, not a cup.

Wingsfan2965* 04-28-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais (Post 64828935)
I think it's really the last year for Detroit to make any noise in the playoffs. They aren't as dominant as they were in the last couple of years and their core is getting older and older. Not to mention they'll have to play in the tougher conference next year.

I don't even know where to start here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yotes90 (Post 64829043)
They are a cup contending team. Started doing great at the right time. I have high hopes for them.

Wouldn't go that far.

DatsyukianDeke* 04-28-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

I think they'll be a good match for Anaheim. I predict Detroit winning in 7 games.

My feelings at first.. :shakehead then I read it again and was like.. :laugh:

The Apt 04-28-2013 10:44 AM

As a Wild fan I would love to play Detroit in a series. Detroit just knows how to get it done and have the experience and wins to back up making some noise in the playoffs. I don't think they get past the Ducks this season, though.

The Red Line 04-28-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Holmstrom retire.... and the core is getting older? :laugh:

I assume you are referring to Datsyuk (top ten in scoring this season) and Zetterberg (over PPG this season) as the ones getting "older and older".... Do you know who else is getting older? Every single player in the NHL... Its known as the process of aging. Revolutionary new concept, I know... if only the Hakan would scout for players who got younger with time. :shakehead

Randomtask68 04-28-2013 11:11 AM

As long as they have Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they have a chance. Those two played really well despite concerns over aging and losing Lidstrom, I fully expect them to either beat Anaheim or at least take that series to seven.

CloneHakanPlease* 04-28-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

So much fail in this post. Tougher conference, but MUCH easier division. I actually expect them to be slightly better than this year last year. Their defense is younger than a daycare and already 5th best in the league. Contrary to popular belief, this team is probably trending upward again, not downward. If Datsyuk goes back to Russia in a year though that may be a different story.

Beau Knows 04-28-2013 11:17 AM

They are a pretty good team. I don't think they could take the likes of Chicago or Anaheim though.

Hasa92 04-28-2013 11:18 AM

MOD
As for hockey thought they go home after first round but only because they are going to face the new Stanley Cup champions the Anaheim Ducks.

Huis Clos* 04-28-2013 11:19 AM

Not much of one.

Zone Starts 04-28-2013 11:21 AM

I'd say they're a pretty big threat. If Anaheim loses four games, their entire season is over :sarcasm:

c'mon, it's the playoffs. Nobody's entitled to breeze through.

rschile 04-28-2013 11:24 AM

they have a good chance against anaheim their goaltending and defence can be shaky at times and theyre not going into the playoffs to hot. but no chance against chicago obviously

8spokesontheB 04-28-2013 11:44 AM

Detroit is like the you-know-who's of the West. Somehow they make noise, and in the playoffs history and stats are always on their side.

AD1066 04-28-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZBAKE (Post 64831053)
So much fail in this post. Tougher conference, but MUCH easier division. I actually expect them to be slightly better than this year last year. Their defense is younger than a daycare and already 5th best in the league. Contrary to popular belief, this team is probably trending upward again, not downward. If Datsyuk goes back to Russia in a year though that may be a different story.

I think Jimmy played a big part in the 5th lowest GAA, because our defense on paper definitely does not belong in the top five. If we make some noise in the playoffs, it's going to be because of Howard.

I'm feeling good about the future though. Kindl's been improving and Dekeyser looks good. Sproul and Oullet both could turn into solid players.

We had better hope Jarnkrok and Jurco are up to the task of offsetting the inevitable decline in production from Dats and Z.

Reality Check 04-28-2013 01:01 PM

I'm interested to see if they're just happy to make the playoffs. Especially after all they've gone through this season and the inconsistencies.

Going out in a whimper like last season would be disappointing, regardless of their seeding. But I do feel they match up much better with Anaheim than Chicago.

Gliff 04-28-2013 01:03 PM

They are 1 of 2 teams I did not want to play in the first round.... Of course the hockey gods love a Ducks-Wings playoff matchup.

nazembiggs* 04-28-2013 01:03 PM

Not a threat at all, there just in to keep their streak alive.

TOML 04-28-2013 01:06 PM

If they can get Helm back, they could go far. Anaheim is a good opponent for them. They do well vs. the Ducks.