HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Kennedy vs Bennett (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1414933)

Master Shake 04-28-2013 12:14 PM

Kennedy vs Bennett

It is time to sit him. There is no way they can justify sitting Bennett over Kennedy who quite frankly is not worth his contract when compared to Morrow who we clearly have to resign.

Kennedy used to be a pretty valuable 3rd line type. He has a little bit of offense, some pest power and is a decent grinder. While I do not think he has lost his ability I do think its obvious that Bennett is a much better option for the playoffs. Age and experience sometimes has to be overlooked when talent level is clearly superior.

Bennett is an elite level talent. Not in the level of Crosby and Malkin but he is right there with the best wingers in the league as far as ability goes. He will create offense and be defensively responsible on any line. We MUST play him.

I do think this is Kennedys last year here. But with Bylsma, you never know. I appreciate Bylsmas loyalty and trust in vets but he needs to have more trust in young talent too. Especially when the talent level is one of Bennetts.

In the end I truly do not think Kennedy will bring anything in the playoffs that would make him a better choice to play over Bennett. This really is a no brainer.

PS- Its nice to see Glass looking much better the last few games. Looks like he is finding his game finally.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 04-28-2013 12:17 PM

You won't find an argument with any Pens fan here.

IcedCapp 04-28-2013 12:33 PM

Can Beau Bennett take a face wash?

Crafton 04-28-2013 12:34 PM

http://www.therenegadeblog.com/wp-co...-the-choir.jpg

AK 04-28-2013 01:16 PM

Unfortunately, Bylsma's biggest shortcoming as a coach (and there aren't many) is his attachment to the old guard.

Kennedy isn't effective, and Bennett is. It's still not going to matter. There is a zero percent chance Kennedy is scratched over him for the playoffs, and pretty close to a zero percent chance Adams is scratched for him, too.

PensFanSince1989 04-28-2013 01:20 PM

Wait, now Bennett is one of the best wingers in the NHL? Nope, not overrating our players and prospects at all. Good thing you clarified he wasn't on Crosby's or Malkin's level, I was wondering.

Ogrezilla 04-28-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcedCapp (Post 64831785)
Can Beau Bennett take a face wash?

I have my doubts. The kid's only played 26 games in the NHL.

Master Shake 04-28-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK (Post 64833511)
Unfortunately, Bylsma's biggest shortcoming as a coach (and there aren't many) is his attachment to the old guard.

Kennedy isn't effective, and Bennett is. It's still not going to matter. There is a zero percent chance Kennedy is scratched over him for the playoffs, and pretty close to a zero percent chance Adams is scratched for him, too.

Cant scratch Adams because he plays his role to perfection. He hits, he plays well defensively, kills penalties and he annoys the other team. Its really Kennedy who with the players we have now has no real place on the team.

But I agree. Bylsma is being too loyal to Kennedy if he sits Bennett for him.

Sivek 04-28-2013 01:24 PM

Honestly, think it's more of a case of Jokinen taking TK's spot and Bennett fighting for Glass's spot. Sad thing is Glass wins that battle despite being a worse player in every way. Bennett had more impactful hits in 25 games than Glass did all season and that's his calling card.

Ogrezilla 04-28-2013 01:26 PM

Kennedy will sit when Sid comes back. If Bennett is out, it'll be because Glass is in, not Kennedy.

pistolpete11 04-28-2013 01:26 PM

I think you're overstating Bennett's skill. Is he a NHL'er? Absolutely. Is he better than TK? Definitely. Will he be a productive top-6 player? Probably. But he's nowhere near one of the most skilled wingers in the game.

Master Shake 04-28-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 (Post 64833693)
Wait, now Bennett is one of the best wingers in the NHL? Nope, not overrating our players and prospects at all. Good thing you clarified he wasn't on Crosby's or Malkin's level, I was wondering.

His ability is. Difference between ability and production is realization and work. Bennett has the god given ability to dominate as a winger. He is creative as hell, has a respectable shot and has elite level ability to hold the puck while under pressure and make a pass right on the tape to an open man. He has outstanding vision. I honestly cannot think of a single legit weakness this guy has.

The only question is will he be able to sustain and keep progressing and playing to his vast potential. He should be top 5 on HF prospects. We got an absolute steal with him.

PensFanSince1989 04-28-2013 01:36 PM

No, his ability isn't. Stop over rating players just because they are Penguins.

plaidchuck 04-28-2013 01:44 PM

Will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few years, will he be a playmaker or two-way guy? Either way definitely a good pick by Shero.

Coach John McGuirk 04-28-2013 01:51 PM

Let's be real here; he's the best winger prospect we've had in a loooooong time, but he's not elite. Period. End of story. He's not a Jordan Eberle-type guy in terms of elite young guns go.

That being said, I'd take him in the lineup over Kennedy, Glass, or Adams 11 times out of 10. The kid has shown he's ready to play full-time minutes, if not on a scoring line, then definitely on the 3rd line. He's responsible in his own end, he is creative, and his shot and pass are dangerous enough to earn him a spot.

We all know Bylsma isn't going to sit Adams, Kennedy, or Glass though. This argument is a bit moot.

Ogrezilla 04-28-2013 01:53 PM

I bet you 50 bucks he sits at least one of them. :nod:

EdwardBlake 04-28-2013 01:54 PM

Obviously... My stance on this matter should be known. :laugh:

turd 04-28-2013 02:08 PM

If the Pens open against Ottawa, I'd expect TK to be in. He has put up great numbers against them in his career. Not saying it's the right move, but given his history against them, it wouldn't be a shock to me.

MeticulouslyDishevel 04-28-2013 02:08 PM

Dan Bylsma is probably the only person who disagrees with this thread (well, TK too). That being said, Disco has a tendency to favour vets over rookies regardless of talent levels, so I doubt that anything will change for the playoffs.

ColePens 04-28-2013 02:13 PM

The food for thought in my post-game write up even proves by statistics that Beau in about half the games is better than TK in every day. I can also sit here for an hour and tell you all the things Beau does better on the ice.

I cannot figure out one thing TK has done better than Beau this season. I can tell you tales about TK 3 years ago and how damn good he was, but I don't know where that player went.

IcedCapp 04-28-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 64836297)
The food for thought in my post-game write up even proves by statistics that Beau in about half the games is better than TK in every day. I can also sit here for an hour and tell you all the things Beau does better on the ice.

I cannot figure out one thing TK has done better than Beau this season. I can tell you tales about TK 3 years ago and how damn good he was, but I don't know where that player went.

I believe - and maybe this is just the optimist in me speaking - that they know BB is better, and that TK playing last night was just the organizations way of treating a long-time player right in his last home game.

jmelm 04-28-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK (Post 64833511)

While I'm sure pretty much everyone would agree with you about Bylsma in this regard in general, Beau Bennett is the one guy who has been the exception to that trend, and has shown to be deserving of such. I do not expect him to sit unless he under-performs after a game or two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 64833921)
Kennedy will sit when Sid comes back. If Bennett is out, it'll be because Glass is in, not Kennedy.

Sadly, I agree with this (re. Glass). I would like to see a 3rd line of Adams-Vitale-Bennett, or even have Jeffrey in there somewhere over Glass. Glass still blows, even though he scored a goal a few weeks back.

I think the bigger question is if Bennett plays over Jokinen when Sid is healthy. I still think Bennett is the best choice if we have Crosby and Vitale in for their face-off prowess.

SEALBound 04-28-2013 02:35 PM

Is Bennett one of the most skilled wings in the game today? No.

Is Bennett currently a better choice over Kennedy? Yes.

/Bickering

I'm thinking a 4th line Glass-Jokinen-Adams is likely with TK first in, then Jeffrey, then Bennett.

Ogrezilla 04-28-2013 02:37 PM

Vitale isn't as good as Jokinen. Vitale isn't even in the discussion unless its to take Adams' spot. Jokinen will play. The last two sports are the only possible questions. Two of Bennett, TK, Adams, Glass, Vitale and Jeffrey will fill the last two spots. Adams is a lock I figure.

Waffle Fries 04-28-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcedCapp (Post 64837099)
I believe - and maybe this is just the optimist in me speaking - that they know BB is better, and that TK playing last night was just the organizations way of treating a long-time player right in his last home game.

This is my belief as well. Kennedy will be sitting when Sid comes back. Bennett or Glass will round out the fourth line with Jokinen and Adams.