HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Butler, Smith, and Josi to play in World Championships (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1414981)

Seth Lake 04-28-2013 01:27 PM

Butler, Smith, and Josi to play in World Championships

Weber (mutual decision - read: $800k insurance policy) and Klein turned down Team Canada invitations. Hornqvist and Rinne (injuries) will not play for Sweden and Finland respectively.

Filip Forsberg has already left for Sweden to finish his high school education!

Bobby Butler and Craig Smith will play for Team USA and be joined by Pete Rogers as equipment manager and David Poile as GM. Josi will play for Switzerland and Trotz will join Team Canada as an assistant coach.

Infinite Jest 04-28-2013 01:50 PM

Why did Klein turn down the invite?

Predator119 04-28-2013 02:15 PM

Klein probably turned it down because he's been banged up through the season. He played some hard minutes this year and played them all out. I hope he keeps the A on his chest next season. He certainly played like it should have been there for the whole season.

Soundgarden 04-28-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predator119 (Post 64836391)
Klein probably turned it down because he's been banged up through the season. He played some hard minutes this year and played them all out. I hope he keeps the A on his chest next season. He certainly played like it should have been there for the whole season.

He deserves a break.

predfan98 04-28-2013 06:29 PM

what happens for the Olympics? Are players required to carry insurance?

Seth Lake 04-28-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predfan98 (Post 64849111)
what happens for the Olympics? Are players required to carry insurance?

International federations (USA Hockey, Hockey Canada, etc) are typically responsible for paying of the players insurance policy. Hockey Canada declined the $800k price tag on Weber for this tournament, but will probably pay it for the Olympics.

token grinder 04-29-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predator119 (Post 64836391)

He was quoted as saying he would have liked to have played I thought. Read on twitter from some blogger that he was moving into a new house and wanted to spend extra time with the family as well. As much a personal choice as professional. Not saying being nicked up didn't factor in though

sighthndlady 05-08-2013 09:58 AM

Hubby watched USA/Russia game. Smith played on a line with Stastny and Moss, with an assist. Said he looked really solid. Commentator (Shane Hnidy!) also was favorably impressed. Maybe it's Trotz.

Also: Bobby Butler meh.

deanwormer 05-08-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sighthndlady (Post 65595275)
Hubby watched USA/Russia game. Smith played on a line with Stastny and Moss, with an assist. Said he looked really solid. Commentator (Shane Hnidy!) also was favorably impressed. Maybe it's Trotz.

well, it's not that it's a huge upgrade in talent; moss? that's the best the US has got? Oh, heck, my bad, it's Smith bringing up the scoring tale on that line, isn't it. :shakehead

barrytrotzsneck 05-08-2013 10:20 AM

I watched the game yesterday, and Smith looked exactly like he does for the Predators-- coughed up the puck, overhandled, typically in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Joe T Choker 05-08-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanwormer (Post 65596235)
well, it's not that it's a huge upgrade in talent; moss? that's the best the US has got? Oh, heck, my bad, it's Smith bringing up the scoring tale on that line, isn't it. :shakehead

remember who's still in the playoffs ... shocked at how they kept it so close... not like I care one way or another ... it's a fraudulent competition without everyone being there.

MoserHockey 05-08-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc (Post 65596469)
I watched the game yesterday, and Smith looked exactly like he does for the Predators-- coughed up the puck, overhandled, typically in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I also watched it and i have to disagre a bit. He didn't played like in the first half of the 2011-2012 season, but he played better than in pretty much all games of last season.
And he also backchecked hard, espacally on one shift against radulov where he catched him up to prevent a 2 on 1 and later in the shift he made a diving poke check to prevent a pass to Radulov, who was standing alone in front of the goal.
I hope he can get his confidence back at the WC.

But man, yesterday i realized again how good Radulov is :cry:

worstfaceoffmanever 05-08-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanwormer (Post 65596235)

Here's an incomplete list of American forwards playing in the playoffs:

Patrick Kane
Phil Kessel
Derek Stepan
Max Pacioretty
Zach Parise
James van Riemsdyk
Ryan Callahan
Joe Pavelski
Bobby Ryan
Dustin Brown
David Backes
Brandon Saad
Alex Galchenyuk
Matt Cullen
Brian Gionta

Minus Galchenyuk and Saad and plus Stastny and Okposo, that's probably the team headed to Sochi next year.

The best available NHL forwards for the US (based on this season's production) are Wheeler, Stempniak, and Legwand. Stastny is fourth, and Moss is fifth. So, to answer your question, yes, that is the best the U.S. has.

I got the feeling when Craig Smith showed up on their first line on the depth chart that this team would struggle. They will be fortunate to reach the knockout rounds, IMO, although picking up three points against both Austria and Latvia probably keeps them out of relegation.

CalleJAMkrok 05-08-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc (Post 65596469)

he had his moments, the whole US team looked disoriented not interested. Now if you wanna talk about Radulov... He looked good as hell :cry:

EDIT: smith just scored against finland with a nice redirect.

Seth Lake 05-08-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka (Post 65608257)
he had his moments, the whole US team looked disoriented not interested. Now if you wanna talk about Radulov... He looked good as hell :cry:

Yeah, nice little redirect off the slap-pass from Moss coming in. Play was made in the neutral zone with the pass that allowed the US to enter with speed. The goalie came far out to play the angle on Moss, but that left the back post open where Smith drove and stopped in front with his stick down and open for Moss to get him the puck.

Big kill continuing to start the 2nd period. Long changes in the 2nd period with the big ice and heavy schedule, this will be a key period for both teams...

jonas2244 05-08-2013 03:05 PM

In the games of Switzerland vs. Sweden, Canada and the Czech Josi was by a fair margin the best defender on the ice. Especially on defence, I cannot think of a single battle he lost.

Top 6 Spaling 05-08-2013 03:08 PM

I really think we have something special in Josi.

Preddownsouth 05-08-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka (Post 65608257)

hat trick.

Top 6 Spaling 05-08-2013 03:28 PM

Finland doesn't have a very good team in this tourney, and one was an empty netter, but hey, it shows he is capable of scoring. The question is this: Can he score on the NHL level?

PredsV82 05-08-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling (Post 65615821)
Finland doesn't have a very good team in this tourney, and one was an empty netter, but hey, it shows he is capable of scoring. The question is this: Can he score on the NHL level?

HE HIT AN EMPTY NET?????

maybe the curse is broken :yo:

Joe T Choker 05-08-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 65615951)
HE HIT AN EMPTY NET?????

maybe the curse is broken :yo:

Non Olympic International Competition doesn't count imho ... as I stated earlier, look at the rosters of every team that is there ... it really isn't the top quality of every team... I mean hey, good for him, he scored in a game ... good for him.

NoNecksCurse 05-08-2013 03:43 PM

what channel are the games on with comcast? thanks in advance to whomever

wadesworld 05-08-2013 03:52 PM

It may not be NHL-level play, but I believe the win today was an upset. From what I saw, the US team looked far better than Finland.

Seth Lake 05-08-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse (Post 65616851)
what channel are the games on with comcast? thanks in advance to whomever

NBC Sports - HD is 1607, SD is 50

Seth Lake 05-08-2013 03:59 PM

Smith with the hat trick. Proud of him. However it is plays like his no look, behind the back pass attempt to David Moss in the neutral zone leading to an easy turnover that allowed Finland their final rush at the US net that shows he has a long way to go before he'll earn the trust of the coaching staff to garner top minutes at the NHL level.