HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Loads of Canucks playoff tickets available raising questions about Vancouver market (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1414985)

viper0220 04-28-2013 12:32 PM

Loads of Canucks playoff tickets available raising questions about Vancouver market

Loads of Canucks playoff tickets available raising questions about Vancouver market, I wonder why they are not selling.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/04...couver-market/

go_leafs_go02 04-28-2013 12:37 PM

Absolutely overpriced. $255 for a lower bowl end seat, for round 1?

Forget it. Even if it were the Leafs, i'd struggle to want to pay for that.

PCSPounder 04-28-2013 12:37 PM

Maybe it says they're smart enough to try to buck a Ponzi scheme when they see it.

Can't keep jacking up ticket prices forever.

nyrmetros 04-28-2013 01:24 PM

$$$ pricing themselves out of the market......

JoeCool16 04-28-2013 01:33 PM

It's something along the lines of $130 for upper bowl each! I'm not paying that when I can watch it at home with snacks for free, or at a bar/restaurant for the price of a meal with a bunch of other screaming fans. Can't wait for game one!

Vancouver Canucks* 04-28-2013 01:47 PM

Tickets are way too expensive, same with beer and parking is a whole nother story. **** that, would rather just watch it at home.

ScottyBowman 04-28-2013 02:34 PM

First round fatigue. Fans will get excited after the first round.

DyerMaker66* 04-28-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 (Post 64834401)
Absolutely overpriced. $255 for a lower bowl end seat, for round 1?

Forget it. Even if it were the Leafs, i'd struggle to want to pay for that.

Toronto pays that for regular season games.

ThePuckBaron 04-28-2013 02:37 PM

This has happened with Detroit as well. After coming within a win of the Cup, a first round match-up isn't so special anymore.

kaiser matias 04-28-2013 02:38 PM

The price is a factor, but it is only Saturday. By the time game one starts the tickets will be sold out.

Even so, it looks like the Canucks are finding they have reached a limit on what we will pay. I certainly don't attend games anymore because of the costs, and there's obviously others like me around.

Shorthander 04-28-2013 03:09 PM

Canucks tickets are a very risky purchase. You pay a fortune to go and never know which team will show up the on the ice. The team doesn't have to win for the game to be entertaining, but paying hundreds of dollars to potentially end up seeing Luongo get ventilated for 7 goals is no fun.

saskganesh 04-28-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 (Post 64840737)

Yes. And this proves Vancouver is a horrible hockey market and the team should be moved to Peel Region. ;)

htpwn 04-28-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 (Post 64840737)

Toronto the outlier, not the mean.

Not many here doubt Vancouver's dedication to their hockey team and all one can read into this story is that Canucks have priced themselves out of the market.

Vancouver is not Toronto or Montreal in size or wealth. Charging prices equal or higher than both markets, even and despite having a Stanley Cup contender, will not translate into the same demand.

Killion 04-28-2013 05:53 PM

The retail sector at the moment in Vancouver is beyond sluggish, slow. Dont really know what to make of it, but it aint good.

Dado 04-28-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killion (Post 64850119)
The retail sector at the moment in Vancouver is beyond sluggish, slow. Dont really know what to make of it, but it aint good.

Everyone's packing up for a May 15 drive to Alberta.

Melrose Munch 04-28-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpwn (Post 64848443)

Not many here doubt Vancouver's dedication to their hockey team and all one can read into this story is that Canucks have priced themselves out of the market.

Vancouver is not Toronto or Montreal in size or wealth. Charging prices equal or higher than both markets, even and despite having a Stanley Cup contender, will not translate into the same demand.

vancouver had real bad attendance from 1997-2000. markets between 1.5 million -2.5 million don't drop that much in any sport, you can't compare it to Wpg or the alberta cities because those cities were all 650000 back then.

DyerMaker66* 04-28-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpwn (Post 64848443)

I agree; just pointing out how much it irritates me since it's the only team in town.

DyerMaker66* 04-28-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskganesh (Post 64847231)
Yes. And this proves Vancouver is a horrible hockey market and the team should be moved to Peel Region. ;)

:laugh: Just pointing out how p/o it makes me.

No Fun Shogun 04-28-2013 08:20 PM

Very high prices + likely Atlanta Braves syndrome (been there, done that, wake me up when we advance) = tickets available

Pepe Silvia 04-28-2013 08:29 PM

But that "unbiased" study said Vancouver can support two NHL teams.

Duke749 04-28-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 64860971)
Very high prices + likely Atlanta Braves syndrome (been there, done that, wake me up when we advance) = tickets available

Nailed it.

BoHorvatFan 04-28-2013 08:50 PM

Something nobody is mentioning is people like me haven't been able to afford to go to games over the last 5 years, the ticket prices are ridiculous for such an average product. So now people like me are used to not going to games so we don't even consider buying tickets. All these business people that have been going to games because it's cool to do so will not hang around forever. The true fans can't get in the arena.

They want me to pay $250 for a first round playoff ticket... that's 6 rounds of golf or a trip to Tofino to go surfing or something else that's more fun and a better use of $ than an NHL game. The hockey has been horrible this year.

Mayor Bee 04-28-2013 08:56 PM

So what I'm hearing is that it's okay for Vancouver playoff tickets to be sluggish for any of a number of reasons listed above, but when fans in Florida or Atlanta or Carolina didn't want to show up to watch bad regular season hockey, it's because they're terrible markets that don't support the team or sport.

Just glad we've cleared that up.

Ernie 04-28-2013 09:03 PM

No, what you're hearing is that it is possible to price a large number of fans out of the market, even if you're the Canucks.

Give us Florida or Carolina or Atlanta prices and they could fill a dozen stadiums.

Regardless, the game will sell out. Most fans don't even expect to be able to buy tickets so they don't bother checking.

TheTakedown 04-28-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie (Post 64866227)
No, what you're hearing is that it is possible to price a large number of fans out of the market, even if you're the Canucks.

Give us Florida or Carolina or Atlanta prices and they could fill a dozen stadiums.

Regardless, the game will sell out. Most fans don't even expect to be able to buy tickets so they don't bother checking.

this...

Common man doesn't have access to presales (even though they are ridiculously easy to get a hold of, passwords that is), so if those are missed, they go stragiht to stubhub...

Overpriced? Sports bar it is