HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: $3.5 mill + 1st round draft pick/asset for ANY buyout (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1415181)

Egoclapper 04-28-2013 04:24 PM

$3.5 mill + 1st round draft pick/asset for ANY buyout

Leafs have Mike Komisarek, who they'll look at using their compliance buy out on this summer. He will get paid $3.5 mill next year with cap hit of $4.5 mill. Personally I think he's a decent player at that price if you're not against the cap. But the Leafs will be tight against it with a lot of pending free agents.

The Leafs could leverage their financial strength and their compliance buyout by trading with a financially strapped team who is looking to buyout a large contract. Now obviously fans would prefer their team spends money rather than an asset and some would argue that Leafs ownership has no interest in spending more money than they need to.

But if it were to happen, eg Dipietro's got $36 mill left on his deal and would cost $24 mill to buyout, what kind of assets would the Islanders be willing to give up to save $21.6 mill ($24 mill to buyout DP - $2.3 mill to buyout Komisarek).

And who are other teams/players that could be options?

Egoclapper 04-28-2013 04:26 PM

Another player is Roberto Luongo who's got a lot of money left on his deal which the Canucks may not be able to afford to buy out.

bcv 04-28-2013 04:29 PM

Good luck convincing your owner to throw 24M out the window for a 1st rounder.

CREW99AW 04-28-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egoclapper (Post 64846039)
Leafs have Mike Komisarek, who they'll look at using their compliance buy out on this summer. He will get paid $3.5 mill next year with cap hit of $4.5 mill. Personally I think he's a decent player at that price if you're not against the cap. But the Leafs will be tight against it with a lot of pending free agents.

The Leafs could leverage their financial strength and their compliance buyout by trading with a financially strapped team who is looking to buyout a large contract. Now obviously fans would prefer their team spends money rather than an asset and some would argue that Leafs ownership has no interest in spending more money than they need to.

But if it were to happen, eg Dipietro's got $36 mill left on his deal and would cost $24 mill to buyout, what kind of assets would the Islanders be willing to give up to save $21.6 mill ($24 mill to buyout DP - $2.3 mill to buyout Komisarek).

NYI give nothing to buyout RD at $1.5m per. Haven't we had these fantasy threads before:sarcasm:

Wang bought out Yashin when he was owed more on his contract. Wang also bought out Witt and Bates.

Wang is exploring selling the team. He won't be the owner on the hook for DiPietro's $1.5m per buyout. The next guy will.

Egoclapper 04-28-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcv (Post 64846311)

Thanks for reading the whole post. What do you think is the value of $24 mill? I think a 1st is too little. I'm wondering what others thoughts on this would be.

Philadelphia Ducks 04-28-2013 04:33 PM

This doesn't seem like a sound business/financial decision for an owner to do. And I imagine the league would squash any deal that was something like Dipietro + 1st for 7th rounder. And I have no idea, maybe a 1st rounder for every 5 million left on the deal?

Egoclapper 04-28-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks (Post 64846455)
This doesn't seem like a sound business/financial decision for an owner to do. And I imagine the league would squash any deal that was something like Dipietro + 1st for 7th rounder. And I have no idea a 1st rounder for every 5 million left on the deal?

Teams do this in baseball, throw millions at international free agents hoping one turns out. Dipietro + 1st for Komisarek. Cash can be retained in trades now (although limited) so I would think the league would allow it.

NeutralZone 04-28-2013 04:40 PM

I don't think this is allowed. I think compliance buyouts can only be used on players by the team's who had their contract at the time the new CBA was put in place.

CREW99AW 04-28-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egoclapper (Post 64846619)
Teams do this in baseball, throw millions at international free agents hoping one turns out. Dipietro + 1st for Komisarek. Cash can be retained in trades now (although limited) so I would think the league would allow it.

What team is throwing away $24m, for a mid first round pick?

CREW99AW 04-28-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeutralZone (Post 64846789)
I don't think this is allowed. I think compliance buyouts can only be used on players by the team's who had their contract at the time the new CBA was put in place.

I wish the mods would sticky that info.

GAGLine 04-28-2013 04:43 PM

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf

Quote:

Clubs may elect to terminate and “buy-out” the already existing SPCs of up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) on a Compliance basis (a “Compliance Buy-Out”).

jumptheshark 04-28-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

took me a few moments to figure out what this thread was about--

Frozen Failure 04-28-2013 05:42 PM

Can Dallas just have Komisarek?

herashak 04-28-2013 08:29 PM

komisarek+1st for tanguay?

Teeder9 04-28-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 64846815)
What team is throwing away $24m, for a mid first round pick?

Even the Leafs wouldn't. They are owned by two of the greediest corporations in Canada. They don't throw money away. They bleed their customers

Jax Teller 04-28-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozen Failure (Post 64849641)
Can Dallas just have Komisarek?

Yup, saves a buyout for someone else.

me2 04-29-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 64846855)
I wish the mods would sticky that info.

The listed wording is "already existing SPCs". That can be read as in "existing at the time of the CBA starting, and only that team" or just "already existing, somewhere, anywhere at the tiem the CBA started".

Has it been confirmed it is limited to the team they started the CBA with?

Vancouver Canucks* 04-29-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egoclapper (Post 64846159)
Another player is Roberto Luongo who's got a lot of money left on his deal which the Canucks may not be able to afford to buy out.

Aquilini is loaded, easily afford the buyout.

Also highly unlikely that Luongo gets bought out

me2 04-29-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver Canucks (Post 64879415)

Given it's spread out over about 100 years the cost would barely make a dint in the Canucks profits.

Djp 04-29-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egoclapper (Post 64846039)

There has been a lot of debate and uncertainty on the ability of team A to trade a player to team B so they can immediately do a compliance buyout on making them a UFA.

some believe you have to hold onto a player until next June before you could buy them out.

the only scenario I see would be a trade of 2 players for 1 player where their cap hits are about equal so they then can do just one buy out on one player instead of using their 2 on 2 players.

Since Komisarek has just 1 yr sat $4.5M---a buy out would be $1.5M for 2 yrs of cap hit. A compliance buyout doesnt count aginat the cap.

Toronto could offer to eat $2M of his cap hit (eating the bonus money and $1M of salary) they could get something of value for him.

a team would not give up much for him. They know the Leafs are against the cap wall.

Loyal2TheOil 04-29-2013 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver Canucks (Post 64879415)

Most owners can afford these buyouts if they can pay the player the entire contract in the first place. It does not make sense for vancouver to buyout Luongo when that 2-3 million (not sure exactly what the buyout amount against the cap would be) is lost instead of a crucial depth player to be a championship contender

Paper 04-29-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 64846341)
Wang is exploring selling the team. He won't be the owner on the hook for DiPietro's $1.5m per buyout. The next guy will.

Probably far closer to the opposite. He'll have a harder time selling it with DiPietro's contract or buyout on the books.

At the very least it will be calculated into the cost.

coldsteelonice84 04-29-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

MAYBE 1st overall in a year with a guy like Crosby only because he knows he'll make it back. That's it.

Surly Furious 04-29-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egoclapper (Post 64846159)

Here's a link to cap geeks buyout calculator figures for Luongo: http://capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php?player_id=683.

They'd be paying until 2031, and from 2019-2022, it would be over 5 million per season. :nod:

Yeah, they may not be able to afford it.

CREW99AW 04-29-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper (Post 64888815)
Probably far closer to the opposite. He'll have a harder time selling it with DiPietro's contract or buyout on the books.

At the very least it will be calculated into the cost.

I believe the Isles have about $450m left on their cable deal. The NY Times says Barclay's extra 70 luxury suites, will bring in an extra $35m per season.

According to the press, Wang is turning the business side of running the team over to the Barclay Center group, while Wang and Snow focus on the day to day running of the team.This has led to speculation, that Ratner and Prokhorov will end up buying the team.

Wang's not worrying about DiPietro's $1.5m per buyout and if Ratner and Prokhorov are indeed the new owners, they won't be worried about that $1.5m per either.