HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   McQuaid- I don't think deserves to play (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1415603)

MarshmontMcSlewfoot 04-29-2013 03:10 AM

McQuaid- I don't think deserves to play

I know he has folk hero status from beating a few middleweights in a few fights, and won a Cup skating on the third pairing w/Kaberle. However I haven't seen anything impressive from him since the 2011 season. Obviously he's been injured but a player of his age usually takes big steps in his game during those 2 years and he really hasn't at all. There have been no signs that he can handle a bigger role than third pairing D.

I actually like Johnson over him to be honest. I wish this post wasn't the slam post it obviously is but I believe REdden and Hamilton both deserve to play in the playoffs over McQuaid and to not do so would be stupid. Redden and Hamilton are both defensively responsible enough for the third pair (which is the only place McQuaid will play b/c he's not that good.) Don't be stupid Claude put McQuaid in the press box and give us some offense on the blue line.

Especially because CHara and Seidenberg look like different players than they were 2 years ago and while both are still great defensively the offensive side of each of their games has quickly become non existent and flat out poor.

westernhome 04-29-2013 04:10 AM

Redden can be a little shaky in his own end, but he can make some big league offensive plays now and then... overall a pretty solid guy to have in the line up I think

the Toronto series has the potential to get pretty rough though, with fights, McQuaid comes in handy

KnightofBoston 04-29-2013 04:20 AM

My reservation with McQuaid isn't that he hasn't taken big steps since the 2011 season, whatever that means. The issue is that his season has been plagued with injuries and he didnt start the season on the right foot to begin with. He should have waited and it his weight back up first. McQuaid is only effective when he's bruising and all there, this season has been tough for him in that regard and it's very obvious on the ice.

I know Hamilton has his defensive short comings but the team is struggling to score goals, he should dress and IF he looks like he's a bit out of place his minutes can be cut back, but his presence offensively on the blue line is missed, especially on the pp

In the end though, it's not going to make a significant difference and if this team can't beat the leafs this issue with the 6th D will not be the culprit

westernhome 04-29-2013 04:23 AM

true, he is playing kind of banged up when you look at what he has been through, he couldn't possibly be considered to be 100% I don't think

MaCam 04-29-2013 07:19 AM

Love McQuaid, but it should be Hamilton in over him or Boychuk in the playoffs.

doubleminor138 04-29-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaCam (Post 64885021)
Love McQuaid, but it should be Hamilton in over him or Boychuk in the playoffs.

Same, but I think we all know that's not what's going to happen.

MaCam 04-29-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleminor138 (Post 64885065)
Same, but I think we all know that's not what's going to happen.

Yeah, I doubt it either. Claude likes to go with experience first.

ODAAT 04-29-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnightofBoston (Post 64883167)
My reservation with McQuaid isn't that he hasn't taken big steps since the 2011 season, whatever that means. The issue is that his season has been plagued with injuries and he didnt start the season on the right foot to begin with. He should have waited and it his weight back up first. McQuaid is only effective when he's bruising and all there, this season has been tough for him in that regard and it's very obvious on the ice.

I know Hamilton has his defensive short comings but the team is struggling to score goals, he should dress and IF he looks like he's a bit out of place his minutes can be cut back, but his presence offensively on the blue line is missed, especially on the pp

In the end though, it's not going to make a significant difference and if this team can't beat the leafs this issue with the 6th D will not be the culprit

Good pts, any other year, in which Quaider has played more, I have no hesitation with him in there, but with his pre-camp health problem, then some injuries during the year, the guy just hasn`t been able to play enough to appear as though he`s yet comfortable out there.

Having the grittier/meaner Quaider against the Leafs (and I believe CJ will do this) is wise.

duckchobbins 04-29-2013 07:36 AM

McQuaid has been caught chasing guys and been out of position way too much lately. I wouldn't be surprised if he was scratched to start the playoffs, but I assume it will be Hamilton sitting.

DarrenBanks56 04-29-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckdobbins (Post 64885329)
McQuaid has been caught chasing guys and been out of position way too much lately. I wouldn't be surprised if he was scratched to start the playoffs, but I assume it will be Hamilton sitting.

i agree.
i dont think claude is stupid enough to start mcquaid against a speedy team.

CptxMorgan 04-29-2013 08:02 AM

I love Lonewolf, but he really hasn't been himself this season. Dougie and Redden should be starting over him IMO.

DKH 04-29-2013 08:05 AM

Toronto is a good team for McQuaid- cant put Dougie out there because he has been shakey lately and Claude is not going to get fired using him over Redden or a Cup vet

Bad Hat Harry 04-29-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe (Post 64882615)
I know he has folk hero status from beating a few middleweights in a few fights, and won a Cup skating on the third pairing w/Kaberle. However I haven't seen anything impressive from him since the 2011 season. Obviously he's been injured but a player of his age usually takes big steps in his game during those 2 years and he really hasn't at all. There have been no signs that he can handle a bigger role than third pairing D.

I actually like Johnson over him to be honest. I wish this post wasn't the slam post it obviously is but I believe REdden and Hamilton both deserve to play in the playoffs over McQuaid and to not do so would be stupid. Redden and Hamilton are both defensively responsible enough for the third pair (which is the only place McQuaid will play b/c he's not that good.) Don't be stupid Claude put McQuaid in the press box and give us some offense on the blue line.

Especially because CHara and Seidenberg look like different players than they were 2 years ago and while both are still great defensively the offensive side of each of their games has quickly become non existent and flat out poor.

So because he hasn't really improved and has shown that he's just a bottom pairing guy he doesn't deserve to play?

I think he brings a more physicality, experience, and poise than Hamilton, and I'll take him in a playoff series.

WreckItRask 04-29-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnightofBoston (Post 64883167)

I've been saying this all along, so I'm glad we're all starting to notice it. Injuries are one thing, but he's literally the same player (and even worse this year) than the first NHL game he played. He hasn't improved even a little bit. I think this year has been an aberration with all the injuries, etc, so I'll say that I'm perfectly fine with him most years as a 6th defenseman. But I'd much rather roll with Hamilton in his spot at this point.

I like Adam McQuaid, but he's a dime a dozen NHLer. There are dozens of guys that can fill the role that he fills.

LSCII 04-29-2013 09:39 AM

You could literally say this about half the roster right now.

DoubleAAAA 04-29-2013 09:40 AM

Quite frankly I think Aaron Johnson looked as good or better than McQuaid in that role this year. I think his surgery took a toll. He's clearly lost some weight and strength. I'll reserve judgement until he gets a full off-season/training camp next year before declaring him dead weight, but he's struggled this year for sure.

smithformeragent 04-29-2013 09:41 AM

I'd go

Chara/Boychuk
Seidenberg/Hamilton
Redden/Ference

You hide Hamilton late in the game if need be, but they didn't go out and get a PMD at the deadline so he needs to play.

Colt.45Orr 04-29-2013 10:39 AM

The playoffs are a (hockey) war.

You want McQuaid when you go to war --he has already proven he is a playoff warrior. All those extra hits in the corner add up over a series.

Do not tell me, not for once second, that he wasn't missed last year.

bme44 04-29-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe (Post 64882615)

I understand the concerns about McQuaid, what I do not understand is how Boychuck's game is not being questioned more. IMO he has been a big disappointment this year, Mc Quaid at least has had injury issues Boychuck what is his explanation??:banghead:

HereWeGoBRUINS92* 04-29-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithformeragent (Post 64889307)
I'd go

Chara/Boychuk
Seidenberg/Hamilton
Redden/Ference

You hide Hamilton late in the game if need be, but they didn't go out and get a PMD at the deadline so he needs to play.

Have you watched Boychuk this season?! WOOF. the guy blows. He is the teams worst defenseman far and away. i don't want him getting top 2 minutes when he's a 3rd pairing guy. He's gotten progressively worse over his years. I want him sitting tbh.

Bruinswillwin77 04-29-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereWeGoBRUINS92 (Post 64892149)
Have you watched Boychuk this season?! WOOF. the guy blows. He is the teams worst defenseman far and away. i don't want him getting top 2 minutes when he's a 3rd pairing guy. He's gotten progressively worse over his years. I want him sitting tbh.

Seems like every time he pinches even the slightest bit he causes a 3-2 or 2-1.

Btown 04-29-2013 11:47 AM

Blah blah blah complain complain complain.
Wednesday u will all be singing another tune.
It's playoffs baby and the bruins will not be stopped!
Dry ur eyes and support ur team!

BrainOfJ 04-29-2013 12:23 PM

We are soft enough as is, unfortunately going up against a team like Toronto we need as much size as we can get.

WBC8 04-29-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr (Post 64891877)
The playoffs are a (hockey) war.

You want McQuaid when you go to war --he has already proven he is a playoff warrior. All those extra hits in the corner add up over a series.

Do not tell me, not for once second, that he wasn't missed last year.

Everyone says we lost the Flyers series because of Krejci's injury...but the Bruins lost McQuaid that same game and as we know lost 4 straight...

He's a must start... a 70% McQuaid is worth it...especially vs the Leafs...

Komorov is going to be the most hated player in the NHL (by us) during this series..

WBC8 04-29-2013 12:33 PM

I like a Dougie-Wade bottom combo would add up to the worst plus/minus rating ever recorded in a 7 games series (only half kidding)