HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   MacT press conference (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1415817)

shiva 04-29-2013 11:54 AM

MacT press conference

MacT's first big press conference, at 11 MST. At this time, when a team calls a press conference so soon after a season is over, they announce a coaching change/management change.

here's a quick thread to guess what the announcement is... and to talk about it.

Assistant Coaches let go? I think Kueger is safe, he will be saved to be the designated scapegoat for next year.

post away... :)

UPDATED:
Just talking... most of this was what we already know.
- knows things need to be changed with the players (no kidding) Said 6-8 new players next year. Hopes to fill one Defense slot with Klefblom. talked a lot about effort and the team needs more effort, and more "beef"
- prospect scouting: likes them but would like better later draft choices than what we have, and give some scouts a better voice (interesting)
- Talking with the coach thru this week.
- Goaltending a concern, very weak in that area in terms of depth. A European scout for goalies maybe. Liked Duby, but thinks he can still grow as a goalie.
- Talking about the players. Need "meat and potatoes" type players. Mentioned some players will be "assets" (a few times)
- Whits is moving on (He sounded relieved actually)
- Receptive to moving back in the draft to get help for the team.
- Nothing on Gags yet, but seems to like him on the team and mentioned the locker room was "too much of a circus" in the past (!) Said as a off hand remark when talking about a center that can win faceoffs that gags may be moved to the wing. Mentioned Smyth will be back, no news with Jones. Doesn't sound like Peckham is coming back either. :) Not answering questions on players, until he talks to them personally.

AlowlyOilersfan 04-29-2013 12:01 PM

It should be like an episode of Oprah, but instead of getting stuff, everyone gets fired.

timekeep 04-29-2013 12:04 PM

Unfortunately, I think it will be uneventful. Something like we will be evaluating and filling holes.

Turrican* 04-29-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timekeep (Post 64896221)
Unfortunately, I think it will be uneventful. Something like we will be evaluating and filling holes.

How will we fill the hole left by Ryan Whitney? :sarcasm:

AlowlyOilersfan 04-29-2013 12:06 PM

Seems like Marincin will get a fair shake in training camp.

"6-8 new players next season"

shiva 04-29-2013 12:08 PM

bah, your right. All he seems to be doing is repeating what he said during after hours.

Hey MacT... Talk is cheap! lets get the talking over with and then start doing things

Jimmi Jenkins 04-29-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan (Post 64896389)

Indeed, he's expecting good things from Klefbom, but was trying to temper some hype.

Oilception 04-29-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

I'm glad I really like Marincin. Not saying he should make it next year necessarily but I'm rooting for him

belair 04-29-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

He's still probably a little raw.

IMO this summer we could probably see one of Marincin, Gernat or Musil moved in a deal for a top 4 defenseman.

McRib 04-29-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 64896507)
bah, your right. All he seems to be doing is repeating what he said during after hours.

Hey MacT... Talk is cheap! lets get the talking over with and then start doing things

To defend MacT... what can he do right now?

Jimmi Jenkins 04-29-2013 12:12 PM

He said he plans to improve the Goaltending depth and wants to add a European Goaltending expert to help determine the "next" guy from over there.

I am the Liquor 04-29-2013 12:14 PM

joestevens29 04-29-2013 12:14 PM

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 1m
And a vote of confidence in Dubnyk; MacTavish says he'd like to add 2/3/4 goaltenders.

shiva 04-29-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoobs (Post 64896805)
To defend MacT... what can he do right now?

Atfer watching this team the last few years, excuse me for being impatient. :)

I'm adding stuff to the top post of what he is saying. I hate threads where everything is scattered all over the place.

gonzo11 04-29-2013 12:16 PM

"Edmonton was a place where players want to come in the 80's"

Slight rewriting of history-- players did not care about taxes--they knew that coming to Edmonton could mean winning a cup. But, there were players here in the 80's who could not get out of Edmonton quick enough for whatever reason

McRib 04-29-2013 12:17 PM

Switched to the CHED feed after the Oilers official feed turned into a Skrillex song.

timekeep 04-29-2013 12:18 PM

Who's the other Ryan?

Jimmi Jenkins 04-29-2013 12:18 PM

Whitney's gone

"We'll move on from there, and wish him well"

Sad news

"Ryan Smyth will be back"
:cry:

Moonlapse Vertigo 04-29-2013 12:20 PM

"6 to 8 new players" sounds nice but he's probably counting Klefbom and Marincin... which is ridiculous.

I'm glad that he's starting to question Krueger though. There might be better head coaching options available in the summer and MacT needs to do his due diligence.

Grod 04-29-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 64897273)
Whitney's gone

"We'll move on from there, and wish him well"

Sad news

"Ryan Smyth will be back"
:cry:

Ryan Smyth will be back and Jones' future with the org. Is currently in discussions. Ryan Smyth coming back strikes a deep terror in my heart.

Jimmi Jenkins 04-29-2013 12:21 PM

Mac-T

"Seth Jones is the concensus #1, and whoever picks there is likely to take him"
So the Oilers will take Jones 1st overall

He's looking at moving #7/8 if deal is right.

Jimmi Jenkins 04-29-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grod (Post 64897423)
Ryan Smyth will be back and Jones' future with the org. Is currently in discussions. Ryan Smyth coming back strikes a deep terror in my heart.

I'll say this, if he spends half the season in the Pressbox, then it might work.

BowDangles 04-29-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grod (Post 64897423)

Agreed.. The only way this works in my head is if he plays on the 4th line with two absolute beasts physically.. and our 3rd line has two physical players surrounding Horcoff..

I would also want to see him removed from that #1 PK role and put on the 2nd pairing.

AlowlyOilersfan 04-29-2013 12:22 PM

Vote of confidence for Gagner

CupofOil 04-29-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Lets hope that the 6-8 doesn't consist of rookies and fringe NHLers.