HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Post Game Talk: ECQ SERIES DISCUSSION | (1) Penguins vs. (8) Islanders | #BeLIeve (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1416659)

Homeland Security 04-30-2013 01:26 PM

ECQ SERIES DISCUSSION | (1) Penguins vs. (8) Islanders | #BeLIeve

Continue on...

Previous thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1411705

1 Timer 04-30-2013 01:35 PM

If Strome plays could he be this years Adam Henrique? Why not get him a game and see what he does. Most likley we are not winning the cup so get him on the ice for a game.

13th Floor 04-30-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveat (Post 64954137)
Even though the Pens have more exp...I still think they are not as experienced as we think they are. Did you see them fall apart last year against the flyers? They seriously got under Crosby's skin...they fell apart...they get easily agitated. We can totally use this to our advantage. I just hope they keep Fleury in for all the games. We seem to have a hell of a time against Vokoun.

What's interesting is citing they have lack of experience because of what happened last year -- but they have gained experience from that, right?

Also, don't forget that they added TWO captains to their team this year. That will help them keep their composure.

I think the only way we win this series is if we are physical. It is something I think we got away from in the last 3 games of the season, which I think becomes somewhat natural playing on the road for 5 straight games. Something about the crowd roaring when there is a loud collision on the boards motivates the next line to do the same. Hopefully with another two games on the road, they go with a strategy of hitting everything that moves. It is a double win because it is easily when we are at our best, and it is the easiest way to knock the Penguins star players off their game (as Philly did last year).

And, just a hunch: I think it is next to impossible to win this series without seeing Vokoun. I don't think this Penguins team that dominated the EC will look at an elimination game against the inexperienced 8th seed Isles and not put in Vokoun and his amazing numbers against us when Fleury isn't cutting it (based on them facing elimination). The only way that I can see this not happening is if we are down 3-2 and then win game 6. Then the only elimination game that the Pens face is game 7, which makes it a tough decision to go against the goalie you are claiming to be 'the guy', who also has good game 7 numbers. If the Pens face elimination in games 4, 5, or 6, I predict Vokoun in that game.

Fantom 04-30-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13th Floor (Post 64961871)
What's interesting is citing they have lack of experience because of what happened last year -- but they have gained experience from that, right?

Also, don't forget that they added TWO captains to their team this year. That will help them keep their composure.

I think the only way we win this series is if we are physical. It is something I think we got away from in the last 3 games of the season, which I think becomes somewhat natural playing on the road for 5 straight games. Something about the crowd roaring when there is a loud collision on the boards motivates the next line to do the same. Hopefully with another two games on the road, they go with a strategy of hitting everything that moves. It is a double win because it is easily when we are at our best, and it is the easiest way to knock the Penguins star players off their game (as Philly did last year).

And, just a hunch: I think it is next to impossible to win this series without seeing Vokoun. I don't think this Penguins team that dominated the EC will look at an elimination game against the inexperienced 8th seed Isles and not put in Vokoun and his amazing numbers against us when Fleury isn't cutting it (based on them facing elimination). The only way that I can see this not happening is if we are down 3-2 and then win game 6. Then the only elimination game that the Pens face is game 7, which makes it a tough decision to go against the goalie you are claiming to be 'the guy', who also has good game 7 numbers. If the Pens face elimination in games 4, 5, or 6, I predict Vokoun in that game.

UNLESS MAF lets in like 8 Goals w or there is a INJURY I HIGHLY doubt Vokoun Plays

Bones45 04-30-2013 02:08 PM

the more you read on this series, the more pressure is put on the Pens.

if the Isles take one game --itll be "whats wrong with the penguins"

LOL

reminds me of the mid 80's Isles teams, where nobody in our hockey seat share wanted to go to the early rounds -- they wanted their seats to be in the semi's or cup finals..

"Oh, the patrick division semis??? No thanks. You can have those.."

hard to believe, but its true. We were so spoiled back in the day.

NYI JT91 04-30-2013 02:32 PM

Things that need to happen if want to upset.

1 physical ( throw them off there game and get under their skin - make them take penalties )
2 No turnovers in the Neutral zone
3 keep Pittsburgh to the outside
4 Tight man on man coverage
5 Crowd Fleury all the time. Get in his crease and don't leave. Get under his skin and get rebounds.
6 last but not least.. This one is kind of a given though, do not get stuck watching them. Win the little battles, finish hits (make them afraid to make the perfect play and wait, go after them and make them rush plays) will result in turnovers etc...

Wouldn't hurt: If we set tone early I.e. Martin drops Cooke and we score first (this would be bigger then most realize) if we can get to NVMC tied 1-1 and we score first in our building...the momentum is ours.

If they do all these things and nabby is nabby and JT steps up along with 2nd line staying hot we can force 7. I wish grabner would turn in to the beast he can be.

RMimagery 04-30-2013 02:35 PM

Regarding Strome... I wonder if two games go by and we don't produce enough offense and it's 5-1 and 4-0 with no points for the first line, maybe he puts in Strome to try and spark something.

But I still say we come home tied 1-1!

steveat 04-30-2013 02:39 PM

We also have to shut Crosby down. He has a field day against us.

to win this series, we will have to play all 7 games.

NYI JT91 04-30-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveat (Post 64965501)
We also have to shut Crosby down. He has a field day against us.

to win this series, we will have to play all 7 games.

I assumed this was a given lol

SLAPSHOT723 04-30-2013 03:04 PM

Strome shouldn't play at all.

Brooklyn Americans 04-30-2013 03:13 PM

My body is ready.

That is all.

seafoam 04-30-2013 03:14 PM

Everyone is listing things that need to go right for the Isles to win the series. I think it's fair to say that everything needs to go right and luck needs to be on their side to win the series.

JJmcD 04-30-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYI JT91 (Post 64965113)
Things that need to happen if want to upset.

1 physical ( throw them off there game and get under their skin - make them take penalties )2 No turnovers in the Neutral zone
3 keep Pittsburgh to the outside
4 Tight man on man coverage
5 Crowd Fleury all the time. Get in his crease and don't leave. Get under his skin and get rebounds.
6 last but not least.. This one is kind of a given though, do not get stuck watching them. Win the little battles, finish hits (make them afraid to make the perfect play and wait, go after them and make them rush plays) will result in turnovers etc...

Wouldn't hurt: If we set tone early I.e. Martin drops Cooke and we score first (this would be bigger then most realize) if we can get to NVMC tied 1-1 and we score first in our building...the momentum is ours.

If they do all these things and nabby is nabby and JT steps up along with 2nd line staying hot we can force 7. I wish grabner would turn in to the beast he can be.

Yes, but if the Islanders can't score on the Powerplay then what? When the Islanders lost to Pitt 2-0 a few weeks ago, Islanders had that five minute PP and the 5 on 3 PP and did not score. 5-5 play is generally more important, but I truly believe that the Islanders will not win a single game unless they can find their PP scoring touch again.

NYI JT91 04-30-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seafoam (Post 64967589)
Everyone is listing things that need to go right for the Isles to win the series. I think it's fair to say that everything needs to go right and luck needs to be on their side to win the series.

I didn't list what needs to go right, I listed what the Islanders need to do. You cant control luck...only how you play, so no point in including that.

NYI JT91 04-30-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plague (Post 64967987)
Yes, but if the Islanders can't score on the Powerplay then what? When the Islanders lost to Pitt 2-0 a few weeks ago, Islanders had that five minute PP and the 5 on 3 PP and did not score. 5-5 play is generally more important, but I truly believe that the Islanders will not win a single game unless they can find their PP scoring touch again.

Yes the power play need to get going. If we can be average...that's good enough. If Pitts takes a lot of penalties it will make it hard for them to get in to an offensive groove

Baby Punisher 04-30-2013 03:35 PM

Good luck in this series! Take these guys out!

LET'S GO ISLANDERS!

Bones45 04-30-2013 03:39 PM

We should be finding out soon if Crosby is cleared to play in Game 1. Thinking that the longer it takes, the worse info it should be.

NYI JT91 04-30-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones45 (Post 64968943)
We should be finding out soon if Crosby is cleared to play in Game 1. Thinking that the longer it takes, the worse info it should be.

I think he will be. Can't wait to listen to 4-7 games of how great Crosby is. The NBC announcer's knee's will be riddled with arthritis after this series :shakehead

enigmatic 04-30-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyi jt91 (Post 64969065)
i think he will be. Can't wait to listen to 4-7 games of how great tavares is. The nbc announcer's knee's will be riddled with arthritis after this series :shakehead

fixed

NYI JT91 04-30-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigmatic (Post 64969333)
fixed

:handclap:

enigmatic 04-30-2013 03:55 PM

i really feel jt is going to carry us on his back this series....i see a 5 goal 5 assist type of performance in a 7 game series

NYI JT91 04-30-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigmatic (Post 64969693)
i really feel jt is going to carry us on his back this series....i see a 5 goal 5 assist type of performance in a 7 game series

We all hope so.

GilliesGirlie 04-30-2013 03:59 PM

The isles will win this just for the simple fact that I leave for England on the 13th, with my bad luck the Isles will advance and I will be overseas in a house with no Internet!

bvon44 04-30-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYI JT91 (Post 64969065)
I think he will be. Can't wait to listen to 4-7 games of how great Crosby is. The NBC announcer's knee's will be riddled with arthritis after this series :shakehead

Well...we've got Butch and Howie for at least games 1, 2, and 4...and I'll be at game 3....so no NBC for me as of yet! Plus we know how much Howie despises the Pens, takes shots at them whenever he can.

StrongIslanders90 04-30-2013 04:14 PM

PLAY HARD and give them one Helleva fight!!!