HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Newbie learning to skate (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1417159)

Avitech 04-30-2013 11:21 PM

Newbie learning to skate

So I'm in my late twenties and just now starting to start playing hockey and just learning to skate too. I plan to join my local D league this winter which gives me plenty of time to learn the fundamentals of skating and playing. Right now I go to my rinks open skating twice a week. My question is about stick and puck though. Should I wait until my skating is more proficient before starting to go to stick and puck or just go for it? The reason I ask is because I've gone a few times already and am by far the worst skater on the ice. I'm not worried about embarrassing myself, I just don't want to be a liability to anyone else that's skating because of my inexperience. I should ad that I think I skate better when I'm concentrating on something else other than skating, such as following my puck and trying to keep control of it. Also i skate harder when I have full pads on because I'm not so worried about falling. So how do you more experienced guys feel about having a complete noob on the ice during stick and puck? Any advice to help my not ruin stick and puck for the other guys on the ice?

Stanello 05-01-2013 12:38 AM

Just go for it, stick times are great for learning/practicing stuff and they're generally a pretty relaxed atmosphere.

cbjbluejackets61 05-01-2013 12:39 AM

when i began doing stick and pucks, whilst not being able to skate as fast as the others.. i would go into the neutral zone, where the two benches are and just skate to the glass on the opposite side stickhandling, and then back towards the benches.

after about a half hour of trying different techniques, i would ask anybody if they would wanna pass with me or practice feeding each other shots. most everyone who goes to stick and pucks are there to learn new techniques and feel how it feels to handle a puck and shoot without pressure. this really allowed me to learn many new things.

if that doesnt work out, then just mimic what everyone else is doing. the ones i have played with never judge me or make fun of me and most of the time, they end up giving me pointers or showing me new things

nystromshairstylist 05-01-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avitech (Post 65005417)
So I'm in my late twenties and just now starting to start playing hockey and just learning to skate too. I plan to join my local D league this winter which gives me plenty of time to learn the fundamentals of skating and playing. Right now I go to my rinks open skating twice a week. My question is about stick and puck though. Should I wait until my skating is more proficient before starting to go to stick and puck or just go for it? The reason I ask is because I've gone a few times already and am by far the worst skater on the ice. I'm not worried about embarrassing myself, I just don't want to be a liability to anyone else that's skating because of my inexperience. I should ad that I think I skate better when I'm concentrating on something else other than skating, such as following my puck and trying to keep control of it. Also i skate harder when I have full pads on because I'm not so worried about falling. So how do you more experienced guys feel about having a complete noob on the ice during stick and puck? Any advice to help my not ruin stick and puck for the other guys on the ice?

Go to the S&Ps but only with a plan to do specific drills, like working on cross-overs, hockey stops on both sides, etc. Everyone, and I mean everyone was a beginner at some point and could barely move on the ice, so don't feel subconscious about what others think. I was helped tremendously by many people during my S&Ps, especially when they saw me working on specific drills I'd seen on youtube that I wanted to focus on during the S&P.

As a noob, you should forget the puck for the time being and work on skating fundamentals, since until you can comfortably move on the ice you are not going to be a "part of the action" on the ice during a scrimmage or game. The order of your efforts should be: skating, passing/receiving passes, stickhandling, then shooting. For skating specifically: forwards cross-overs right/left, stopping both sides (equally without favoring one side), sharp turns, backwards skating (even if you want to play forward), transitions (hugely important), etc. Drills for all of these are on youtube, pick 3-4 of them, write them down if need be, and focus for 20 minutes on each during every S&P. You will get better, and look back (as I do when I see a newbie out there) and feel pride in the time/effort you put in after a few years when you are dangling people/racing up ice and scoring/setting up nice plays. In one word: PATIENCE.

Darlon 05-01-2013 01:10 AM

Greetings fellow noob. I started a little over a month ago. I went to public skates for the first week then the next week, I hopped right into stick and pucks. Best way to get better at skating for hockey is to skate with full pads and a stick in your hand. That way, you don't have the fear of hurting yourself. Also if you go to public skates, I recommend at least wearing your shin pads in a pair of track pants and elbow pads inside a loose fitting jacket/sweater.

Trl3789 05-01-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist (Post 65010465)
Go to the S&Ps but only with a plan to do specific drills, like working on cross-overs, hockey stops on both sides, etc. Everyone, and I mean everyone was a beginner at some point and could barely move on the ice, so don't feel subconscious about what others think. I was helped tremendously by many people during my S&Ps, especially when they saw me working on specific drills I'd seen on youtube that I wanted to focus on during the S&P.

As a noob, you should forget the puck for the time being and work on skating fundamentals, since until you can comfortably move on the ice you are not going to be a "part of the action" on the ice during a scrimmage or game. The order of your efforts should be: skating, passing/receiving passes, stickhandling, then shooting. For skating specifically: forwards cross-overs right/left, stopping both sides (equally without favoring one side), sharp turns, backwards skating (even if you want to play forward), transitions (hugely important), etc. Drills for all of these are on youtube, pick 3-4 of them, write them down if need be, and focus for 20 minutes on each during every S&P. You will get better, and look back (as I do when I see a newbie out there) and feel pride in the time/effort you put in after a few years when you are dangling people/racing up ice and scoring/setting up nice plays. In one word: PATIENCE.

I have to agree. I went to public skates pretty much exclusively until i felt comfortable with everything mentioned above (minus maybe sharp turns). I also wasn't worried about embarrassing myself, so i went in full gear and pushed myself at public skate. If you fall you fall, just try to avoid the heavy traffic areas when you're trying something difficult. My thought process was that if i was having trouble skating with out the puck, getting to the puck, and then skating with it, would be even more difficult.

Ultimately, i don't think anyone will care (for the most part) at SP as long as you aren't taking people out. But i would still say get comfortable skating without the puck before you try to focus on controlling the puck. I should add that my puck handling skills have gotten significantly better from just playing since i joined my first league, but again, that was all made possible by being a competent (relatively) skater without the puck prior to joining. Just my opinion though.

mistrhanky 05-01-2013 09:38 AM

I would say a few SP's cannot hurt you. In paticular, I would spend time just doing laps and turns with a puck on your stick. One of the toughest things to learn is to feel the puck on your stick instead of seeing it. Get used to the feel and get used to moving with the puck. Start slowly and work your way up. The more time you can bank doing that, the more it will help you in the long run.

ZajacsShakes 05-01-2013 09:50 AM

Don't ever feel embarrassed either. Everyone starts somewhere. Just do your thing. Also, never be afraid to ask someone to give you suggestions.

Avitech 05-01-2013 01:22 PM

Thanks for all the positive support fellas. I think I'm gonna try splitting my time between public skates and stick and puck. Maybe do each one once a week so I get a little bit of both.