HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Pittsburgh @ Chicago in Soldier Field|1/3/14| Outdoor series (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1417393)

Shrimper 05-01-2013 11:14 AM

Pittsburgh @ Chicago in Soldier Field|1/3/14| Outdoor series
 
I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere but;

Quote:

NEW YORK (May 1, 2013) – The Chicago Blackhawks will play host to the Pittsburgh Penguins in a regular-season outdoor NHL® game at Soldier Field on Saturday, March 1, 2014, at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT, the National Hockey League announced today.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=668719

So. 8pm start.

SUBdrewgANS 05-01-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimper (Post 65024459)
I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere but;



http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=668719

So. 8pm start.

whatever.. a now diluted publicity stunt..

Shockmaster 05-01-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUBdrewgANS (Post 65025411)
whatever.. a now diluted publicity stunt..

The Winter Classic already lost its novelty before the Stadium Series rumors came out. The NHL is just cashing out now. Can't say I blame them. Fans will ***** about it, but they'll still spend their money on it.

HandshakeLine 05-01-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockmaster (Post 65025537)
The Winter Classic already lost its novelty before the Stadium Series rumors came out. The NHL is just cashing out now. Can't say I blame them. Fans will ***** about it, but they'll still spend their money on it.

I'd go see it (and may if I'm in the States then). Chicago is always a great town to see a game in, and outdoor games have good atmosphere.

There's always something diluting the purity of the game. Helmets. Visors. The instigator rule. Two line passing.

In the grand scheme of things, getting more people to watch the sport is a good thing.

DoktorZaius 05-01-2013 12:24 PM

This is just a bit different and kind of interesting. I'm amazed at how negative the reactions have been towards something that will generate revenue, and hopefully more fans, for the NHL.

HandshakeLine 05-01-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoktorZaius (Post 65027405)
This is just a bit different and kind of interesting. I'm amazed at how negative the reactions have been towards something that will generate revenue, and hopefully more fans, for the NHL.

Fans here are the purity trolls of hockey. I mean, who else cares about prospects and CBA minutia outside of HF? :laugh:

People are gonna be mad no matter what the league does to expand its base. Hell, people are STILL mad in some circles that the NHL expanded in '67. :laugh:

Fire Shero* 05-01-2013 12:40 PM

I don't understand all the *****ing. It will be a fun game to watch in person. People just like to complain.

Le Magnifique 66 05-01-2013 12:42 PM

The NHL really needs to stop this crap. 1 game a year is more than enough(winter classic) Even that should stop, it's terrible hockey anyways

BrunoPuntzJones 05-01-2013 12:50 PM

I think it's weird to complain about the "quality of play" at the outdoor games. It's not the point.

MetalheadPenguinsFan 05-01-2013 12:58 PM

I've said before and I'll say it again.

After the overhyped rain-soaked mess that was the 2011 Winter Classic between the Pens and Caps, I had hoped the Penguins would never play in an outdoor game ever again.

So what'll be the plan??? Sit Crosby, Geno, Flower, Tangers (if we still have him), Neal, etc.? Because knowing our luck you just know one of our stars will be hurt at this slushfest.

#66 05-01-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones (Post 65028691)
I think it's weird to complain about the "quality of play" at the outdoor games. It's not the point.

Then why don't they just wear roller blades and play in the summer. Its bad hockey, gimmicky and will quickly wear out its welcome.

The big point to me is that the NHL can't do its job and it takes an outside game to garner interest in the NHL. That's down right pathetic.

When is the last time we've seen Sid, AO, Malkin, Patrick Kane or Parise outside of NHL Network or the odd commercial when a games on? You don't because the NHL is run like a lemonade stand.

Also what does all these outside games mean for the Olympics?

BrunoPuntzJones 05-01-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #66 (Post 65029599)
Then why don't they just wear roller blades and play in the summer. Its bad hockey, gimmicky and will quickly wear out its welcome.

The big point to me is that the NHL can't do its job and it takes an outside game to garner interest in the NHL. That's down right pathetic.

When is the last time we've seen Sid, AO, Malkin, Patrick Kane or Parise outside of NHL Network or the odd commercial when a games on? You don't because the NHL is run like a lemonade stand.

Also what does all these outside games mean for the Olympics?

If it were an empty novelty destined to wear off quickly, that would have already happened. They're adding games because they know it's a marketing success.

And yeah, the gimmick and spectacle is the point, but why is that inherently bad? The level of play (which is a nebulous concept anyway) might not be the highest, but are the games not exciting? Are you not entertained?

Also if the NHL put on a roller game I would absolutely watch it. Remember Pro Beach Hockey or whatever it was on ESPN 2 in the late '90s? I loved that ****. I've already said I hope the potential Anaheim-LA game is roller hockey.

And I really don't care about the NHL's marketing effectiveness and brand building. Who cares? Really? All I want is to be amused and excited by hockey because it's a beautiful game under almost every circumstance. The NHL does that for me and that's all I expect. The ability of billionaires to make themselves more money and the authenticity or intelligence of their methods does not concern me one bit.

BrunoPuntzJones 05-01-2013 02:14 PM

Also I really hope anyone who complains about the NHL not building its brand effectively NEVER complains about there being teams in Miami or Phoenix etc. And I also hope you're pissed that they lost the Atlanta market.

Darth Vitale 05-01-2013 04:09 PM

Said it the first time this came up... March 1st in Chicago is just dumb. Nothing else is going on at Soldier Field in February... why not schedule a date where you are virtually *assured* of good ice-weather??

Part of me wants them to luck out and have perfect weather. Part of me is wishing 42 and rain on them because it's highly likely. Another part of me wants tickets. :laugh: Otherwise a great matchup and a pretty good venue for outdoor hockey (it may look like a toilet bowl sitting on top of the old Soldier Field, but there are few bad seats in teh house).

Ugene Malkin 05-01-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale (Post 65039119)
Said it the first time this came up... March 1st in Chicago is just dumb. Nothing else is going on at Soldier Field in February... why not schedule a date where you are virtually *assured* of good ice-weather??

Part of me wants them to luck out and have perfect weather. Part of me is wishing 42 and rain on them because it's highly likely. Another part of me wants tickets. :laugh: Otherwise a great matchup and a pretty good venue for outdoor hockey (it may look like a toilet bowl sitting on top of the old Soldier Field, but there are few bad seats in teh house).

We need an Xmas day outdoor game. Hockey and new toys.

BrunoPuntzJones 05-01-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin (Post 65045181)
We need an Xmas day outdoor game. Hockey and new toys.

The NBA has Christmas Day locked down. I doubt the NHL wants to compete directly with that. Also Bettman might still have some loyalty to the NBA and wouldn't want to step on their toes. Regardless of conspiracy theories that Stern sent him specifically to tank the NHL.

I do agree that a March 1 date is a gamble. Weren't chunks of the Midwest and Northeast in the 80s earlier this March? I think there was a stretch where it was actually cooler here in Arizona.

SirBrad 05-01-2013 10:40 PM

would be interested in this, but by the time I book a flight for 2 ($670), get a hotel ($350) and hopefully tickets at face value ($350+) it's just too much ****ing money for me to fly out from NJ for this. Just priced the flight and hotel and that's not bad, but man, not worth it. It's just a regular season game outside.

AZPenguins 05-03-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBrad (Post 65076959)
would be interested in this, but by the time I book a flight for 2 ($670), get a hotel ($350) and hopefully tickets at face value ($350+) it's just too much ****ing money for me to fly out from NJ for this. Just priced the flight and hotel and that's not bad, but man, not worth it. It's just a regular season game outside.

I am going to try and get tickets to the LA game. I love the idea of the 2 games in NY during Super Bowl week too, should be great.

bathroomSTAAL 05-03-2013 08:12 AM

Someone should change the kooky European/Commie date format in the title.

seabs926 05-03-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale (Post 65039119)
Said it the first time this came up... March 1st in Chicago is just dumb. Nothing else is going on at Soldier Field in February... why not schedule a date where you are virtually *assured* of good ice-weather??

Part of me wants them to luck out and have perfect weather. Part of me is wishing 42 and rain on them because it's highly likely. Another part of me wants tickets. :laugh: Otherwise a great matchup and a pretty good venue for outdoor hockey (it may look like a toilet bowl sitting on top of the old Soldier Field, but there are few bad seats in teh house).

My guess is they don't want to be overshadowed by the Olympics, at all. Coverage of the games will pick up probably a few days before the opening ceremonies and continue for a few days after. That doesn't leave a lot of time in February.

Warm Cookies 05-03-2013 08:39 AM

Can't wait to see who gets a long-term injury!

Coach Travis 05-03-2013 08:54 AM

Let's face it, we're all going to be looking forward to this once it happens. Pittsburgh vs. Chicago is a marquee match up that seemingly deserves a big venue.

That said, I do feel like this franchise is a little Winter Classic'd out.

Lastly, this has to be the year where they do the 1992 Pens jersey as this was the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals.

#66 05-03-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones (Post 65033385)
Also I really hope anyone who complains about the NHL not building its brand effectively NEVER complains about there being teams in Miami or Phoenix etc. And I also hope you're pissed that they lost the Atlanta market.

Why? Trying to build up hockey interest in those locations is one thing but not when the league has the backbone of a cripple. Look whats happened since expanding into those areas.... lockouts and insane ticket prices. IMO they should have built up the west coast before going to the south or at least round out a trial team by going into two stronger hockey markets too. Its just another case of the NHL thinking they're bigger than they are.

I am pissed that the NHL didn't work in Atl... again. The thing is I blame the NHL and not the city.

Darth Vitale 05-03-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin (Post 65045181)
We need an Xmas day outdoor game. Hockey and new toys.

WFM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seabs926 (Post 65174445)
My guess is they don't want to be overshadowed by the Olympics, at all. Coverage of the games will pick up probably a few days before the opening ceremonies and continue for a few days after. That doesn't leave a lot of time in February.

THAT's what it is. I thought the Olympics ended around the 17th or 18th but it's later than that this year for some reason. Otherwise would've left plenty of time. Even going 7 or 8 days earlier could make a big difference around here.

That said it could be 15 degrees and snow on March 1st too.

SHOOTANDSCORE 05-03-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL (Post 65173881)
Someone should change the kooky European/Commie date format in the title.

:laugh:
It fooled me for a second too. That date format is also soft and uninspired


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.