HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers: Tough choices await (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=14178)

KING 09-25-2003 04:25 AM

Rangers: Tough choices await

http://www.nj.com/rangers/ledger/ind...6788379870.xml

Melrose_Jr. 09-25-2003 05:48 AM

Ya know what? AFter last night, I'm going to vomit of Stals or Moore make the team. If you bench a kid for no reason in a preseason game, what freakin' hope do they ever have to get in and make a contribution once the season starts?

kazo 09-25-2003 07:41 AM

You guys are really beating a dead horse when it comes to all this complaining about penalties. There are two reasons why they can't kill penalties, IMO.

First, the team doesn't play hard enough. Too many players too often don't try hard enough.The result is our guy is behind the play and he has to pull somebody down. How many times do they get called for hooking and holding in the neutral zone.

Second, I've come to the conclusion that this team just doesn't have the kind of PK talent they need to be successful in that area. Remember Mess and Graves in their heyday? Quick, smart, and aggressive. I'm not sure there's anyone on this roster, especially the forwards, who can say they're in their element when killing penalties.

Fletch 09-25-2003 09:56 AM

Kazo...there's a third reason..

because they have to kill so many. It tires you out having to kill so many. As you get to PK #5 or 6, there becomes a greater chance of letting one in, thus lowering your overall PK percentage.

Brooklyn Ranger 09-25-2003 10:16 AM

I actually think the toughest choices await on defense. Assuming that Malakhov is ready to start the season and Leetch is not (not 100% sure that's true in either case), there will be 6 defensemen with NHL on the roster and at least one (if not two) rookies who have never played an NHL game. In a perfect world, at least one of those rookies would get some significant playing time until Leetch comes back. However, since we know that the Ranger organization is not living there, that most likely means that the kids sit and the veterans play.

If anyone gets picked up in the waiver draft, it's a journeyman defenseman, who can provide "stability" in case there are injuries to the experienced d-men. Sather isn't going to rely on complete rookies in the case he needs a call-up due to injuries.

Barnaby 09-25-2003 10:20 AM

Yea, Id love to see Tytutin bring his game up a notch and make Sather keep him with the club and get some quality minutes, but it looks like the odds are good that he'll need a year with the Pack first.

kazo 09-25-2003 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
because they have to kill so many. It tires you out having to kill so many. As you get to PK #5 or 6, there becomes a greater chance of letting one in, thus lowering your overall PK percentage.

Couldn't disagree more.

Most teams give up probably 4 or 5 PP's per game. The Rangers have way too many games where they have gone 2-4 or 3-5 on the kill. You can't tell me that the only reason the Rangers are not good on the PK is because they give up too many chances.

Shadowtron 09-25-2003 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazo
Couldn't disagree more.

Most teams give up probably 4 or 5 PP's per game. The Rangers have way too many games where they have gone 2-4 or 3-5 on the kill. You can't tell me that the only reason the Rangers are not good on the PK is because they give up too many chances.

Kazo, you misread a bit I think. The title of Fletch's reply to you was "Kazo...there's a third reason". He didn't say it was the only reason, just another reason to add to your list.

Fletch 09-25-2003 11:00 AM

Only reason?

no, not the only reason, but it is a reason. If they weren't killing an excessive amount of penalties then we wouldn't cry about discipline. So my guess is that they have their fair share of 5,6,7 penalty kills per game, too, and too many 5-on-3s, often within the same game. This team would never have a good/great PK, most likely, but I think they can be average with an average amount of penalties.

kazo 09-25-2003 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowtron
Kazo, you misread a bit I think. The title of Fletch's reply to you was "Kazo...there's a third reason". He didn't say it was the only reason, just another reason to add to your list.

Oops, sorry. Didn't see the beginning of that post. What am I doing wrong?

Anyway, Fletch now I agree.

JCProdigy 09-25-2003 11:29 AM

Well, I'll say that it wasn't the reason last night as the BJs scored on their first two chances. All teams take penalties. All teams take bad penalties almost every game. Of course not as much as the rangers do but if the Rangers only gave up two penalties last night then their PK would have been 0-2. That's just horrible.

Brooklyn Ranger 09-25-2003 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowtron

Hey, I don't see any title on any post (except the first one in the thread). What's going on here???

RANGERDIEHARD 09-25-2003 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazo
Couldn't disagree more.

I would be thrilled if the Rangers gave up on average 4 or 5 penalties a night, the truth is that they give up like 6 - 8 a night. Looking at last years stats right now and the Rangers ranked 24th out of 30 teams in penalty minutes allowed (1308 min's). The league average was 1200 min's, and that was an improvement from the year before. The team takes way too many penalties.

donpaulo 09-25-2003 08:53 PM

I would tend to think that one of the rangers problems has been an attraction to PP type players, and not enough attention on PK type players.
Thus the competition is for PP time, and PK is something to be "avoided"
I still think Arvedson would have been perfect for NYR.

I felt the best PK forward last year was Nedved. Hopefully they give this job to Lundmark for more ice time. I guess we will probably see the speed merchants on the pk such as Kovalev, Nedved etc.