HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Phil Kessel hurt? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1418351)

TheInsignia 05-02-2013 02:58 PM

Phil Kessel hurt?

Not at today's practice according to Siegel.

Quote:

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 42m
Phil Kessel not at practice today either. Unclear as to why.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

https://twitter.com/jonasTSN1050/sta...22297576558592

Kessel also seemed to be favouring his left wrist last night and only played 13:51 minutes of ice time.

Stephen 05-02-2013 02:59 PM

On paper, losing Kessel for any amount of time would be a huge blow, but in some ways, against the Bruins especially, the impact is kind of minimal. Don't know if that's a criticism of Kessel or trying to be positive... :laugh:

Loosie 05-02-2013 02:59 PM

Nope:

Arash Madani ‏@ArashMadani 2m

Kessel and Kostka had an off-ice workout with #Leafs strength coach, Anthony Belza.

I think we can close this thread.

Pi 05-02-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 65108233)
On paper, losing Kessel for any amount of time would be a huge blow, but in some ways, against the Bruins especially, the impact is kind of minimal. Don't know if that's a criticism of Kessel or trying to be positive... :laugh:

True.

I hate PJ Stock and Healy but what they said is 100% true of Kessel against the Bruins:

He's the sacrificial lamb against the Bruins.

Kessel just needs to show up and get shut down against Chara on ES...the Leafs have to do the rest.

Sergei Berezin 05-02-2013 03:02 PM

Kessel has a wrist injury. Probably why he's not practicing.

Also, maybe it's a loophole for Kessel to be allowed to not to speak to media, as injured players don't speak ;)

TmlHockeyFan 05-02-2013 03:02 PM

Kessel is playing Saturday. Guaranteed.

mapleleaf979 05-02-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheInsignia (Post 65108165)
Not at today's practice according to Siegel.

He had nightmares about CHARA. Kessel will not go within 10 feet of Chara. He is the monster under his bed. Makes me sick watching how terrified he is. He is always terrible against the Bruins, he is defeated before he plays them. He is terrified of Chara. Watching him play against the Bruins is a stark contrast vs any other team. Kessel is the softest player in the league.

Stephen 05-02-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 (Post 65108343)
He had nightmares about CHARA. Kessel will not go within 10 feet of Chara. He is the monster under his bed. Makes me sick watching how terrified he is. He is always terrible against the Bruins. Watching him play against the Bruins is a stark contrast vs any other team. Kessel is the softest player in the league.

That's an exaggeration. How many of the top 20 scorers in the NHL thrive when they play Zdeno Chara?

mapleleaf979 05-02-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin (Post 65108327)
Kessel has a wrist injury.

* EDIT

Kessel has a "Im TERRIFIED OF CHARA INJURY"

mapleleaf979 05-02-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 65108537)
That's an exaggeration. How many of the top 20 scorers in the NHL thrive when they play Zdeno Chara?

Fair point, Chara is the best D man in the NHL but....How many top 20 players, QUIT AGAINST CHARA???

Stephen 05-02-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 (Post 65108607)
Fair point, Chara is the best D man in the NHL but....How many top 20 players, QUIT AGAINST CHARA???

I don't know about quit, but most of them get neutralized all the same.

CanadasTeam 05-02-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 (Post 65108541)
* EDIT

Kessel has a "Im TERRIFIED OF CHARA INJURY"

Quit whining -- Kessel did not play "terrified" last night.

Predaleafs 05-02-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 (Post 65108607)

What are you saying? Kessel took it to the net on multiple attempts last night just couldnt get around Chara and his massive wingspan. Kessel doesnt play afraid, he plays like anyone does against Chara.

Kessel is the main puck carrier on that line. When he gets into the zone he gets surronded. Thats why he cant score. Not because hes scared but because Boston suffocates his offence.

mapleleaf979 05-02-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadasteam (Post 65108731)
quit whining -- kessel did not play "terrified" last night.

Are u kidding me????????????? He is scared out of his mind.

Morlu 05-02-2013 03:13 PM

Kessel played last night??? I didn't see him.

mapleleaf979 05-02-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predaleafs (Post 65108761)
What are you saying? Kessel took it to the net on multiple attempts last night just couldnt get around Chara and his massive wingspan. Kessel doesnt play afraid, he plays like anyone does against Chara.

Kessel is the main puck carrier on that line. When he gets into the zone he gets surronded. Thats why he cant score. Not because hes scared but because Boston suffocates his offence.

Kessel went to the net once. Chara was on the opposite side at that point. He had one shot, was not skating. He is Terrified of Boston. There is no other way to look at it. Look at the stats. Watch closely how Ambitious Kessel is against the Bruins? There is no ambition, its quitting in my eyes. He turns the puck over concentrating on not getting hit hard, he is in survival mode. U go to hit Kessel and the puck to him becomes secondary. Hit him take the puck and the battle is over. Its very disappointing to watching him be a shadow on himself when he is intimidated.

Like I said here months ago. Krecji was quoted after the Kessel trade as saying "Kessel quits when u play him physical" that stuck with me and has showed itself to be true, When I watch.

I Believe 05-02-2013 03:15 PM

Meh, i'm not worried. He had a wrist injury down the stretch last year as well and played through it with cortisone shots, and that was after we had been eliminated.

Dude hasn't missed a game in 3 years and I doubt he'll be missing saturday.

Diatomic 05-02-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morlu (Post 65108931)

Chara's shadow must of covered him

Frelimo 05-02-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

But if Chara's not focused on shutting down Kessel that just leaves him more available to shut down other players. Even if Kessel doesn't score, it would be a loss not having him in the lineup.

mapleleaf979 05-02-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

I didnt either. He had no ambition. Same thing last night as in the previous 23 games aginst the Bruins. I expect similar from him in Game 2 in Boston. When they boo he seems rattled. He will not hold onto the puck against Boston. In Toronto u may see a different KEssel. Playing in Boston is Kessel's worst nightmare. He hates it and underachieves when u need your biggest point producer and best player to shine.

GordieHoweHatTrick 05-02-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Played his part on the 1st goal actually. You must've been drowning in liquor by the 1st to notice

John Stamos 05-02-2013 03:26 PM

Saw him getting his wrist/hand taped up on the bench last night, I would imagine this is related

legendinblue 05-02-2013 03:28 PM

Good thing we have an excuse, just in case. :P

Alflives 05-02-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Kessel eats up Chara's 5 on 5 time. Do you want Chara up against Kadri? The Leafs need Kessel.

smitty10 05-02-2013 03:32 PM

Mapleleaf979 obviously doesn't watch any teams outside of the Leafs. If he thinks any other star player plays differently against Chara than Kessel does, then he's making a fool of himself. Chara shuts down almost every player in the league the exact same way that he does to Kessel. There is no way around it because of his size and wingspan.

When a player has no room with the puck and is suffocated in both his own end and the opposing team's, then he's not going to be able to produce anything. That's the reason that Boston plays him the way they do. They know how dangerous he is offensively and focus almost their entire game on trying to shut him down.

And calling him a 'quitter' and 'the softest player in the league'? The guy hasn't missed a game in 3 years and has scored the fourth (4th) most points of ANY player in the NHL over the last two seasons. Does this sound like a 'quitter' or a soft player? It's pretty hard to get anything going offensively when there are two men on you before you even touch the puck.

Give credit to Chara, but don't hate on Kessel. He's a major, and I mean major, reason that the Leafs are in the playoffs today.