HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Globe and Mail: Mirtle: Leafs’ central weakness exposed by Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1418511)

R McD 05-02-2013 06:55 PM

Mirtle: Leafs’ central weakness exposed by Bruins

A great article by James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail illustrating key weaknesses that the Bruins all too obviously exposed last night.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...board/follows/

sommervr 05-02-2013 07:04 PM

Great article

agropop 05-02-2013 07:11 PM

Good article, as usual...

Mess 05-02-2013 07:12 PM

Very informative and difficult to dispute on its merits.

7even 05-02-2013 07:25 PM

Unfortunately, Mirtle is dead on, as per usual.

LeafOfBread 05-02-2013 07:26 PM

Solid article, it's hard to take in but I agree with everything he's saying.

Frattin really needs to be in, he is a bull on the puck and looked good alongside Kadri. I was really pissed when I found out he was scratched for McLaren yesterday.

Diatomic 05-02-2013 07:29 PM

WOW.

The Leafs outshot their opponents marginally (29.9 to 28.6) in January but were out shot in subsequent months 32.6 to 26.7 in February, 32.4 to 27.1 in March and an incredible 33.4 to 22.9 in 12 April games.

7even 05-02-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley (Post 65121451)
WOW.

The Leafs outshot their opponents marginally (29.9 to 28.6) in January but were out shot in subsequent months 32.6 to 26.7 in February, 32.4 to 27.1 in March and an incredible 33.4 to 22.9 in 12 April games.

Those numbers are just crazy. They're so much worse than like, anything. I have no idea what's going on with this team; it's mindboggling.

achtungbaby 05-02-2013 07:44 PM

Good article by Mirtle. A great read to get your feet wet for anyone who wants to understand what advanced stats are all about. Hopefully the Leafs can pull it together and stick it in the advanced stats guys ear a little longer.

Budsfan 05-02-2013 07:45 PM

It is a good article and it does sum up the short comings of the team, we really do have to upgrade the defence.

Our forwards have had to do a complete about face, going from a "Run and Gun offense", that Ron Wilson used, to a "Defense First system", employed by Carlyle and probably this one of the reasons, for fewer shots per game.

4uston Matthews 05-02-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7even (Post 65122285)
Those numbers are just crazy. They're so much worse than like, anything. I have no idea what's going on with this team; it's mindboggling.

Coaching.

Caesium 05-02-2013 07:53 PM

I've been saying this for the past month.

Didact 05-02-2013 07:53 PM

surprised Carlyle doesn't see this and shoves it to the side.

achtungbaby 05-02-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 (Post 65123447)
Coaching.

It's not just coaching, it's easy to say that. Because of better coaching, then Rotten Ronnie anyways, we are where we are right now. It's about talent, talent and experience. We're improving but we're just not there yet. Are you telling me you read that article and came away with, "bah, it's just coaching"?

egd27 05-02-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achtungbaby (Post 65123843)
It's not just coaching, it's easy to say that. Because of better coaching, then Rotten Ronnie anyways, we are where we are right now. It's about talent, talent and experience. We're improving but we're just not there yet. Are you telling me you read that article and came away with, "bah, it's just coaching"?

Of course it is.

Carlyle doesn't play Gardiner, Carlyle does play Kostka.

Hockey is very simple, play Gardiner, don't play Kostka. Problems solved.

At least that's what I got from reading the bulk of the "analysis" over the past 20 hours. :sarcasm:

Ari91 05-02-2013 08:33 PM

Great article by Mirtle and hard to dispute. Bruins exposed their weakness not by putting the pressure on them and forcing them to make stupid plays, they exposed their weakness by letting them know that against a great and seasoned team, you can't keep making those mistakes all throughout the game and not get burned.

Jeebs 05-02-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achtungbaby (Post 65123843)

So Florida and NJ have far more talent than the Leafs?

Cause the way they have completely dominated possession against us in the past would seem to indicate that.

How many teams can you name that didn't completely dominate us in possession over the last month?

SeenSchenn2 05-02-2013 08:39 PM

Dead-on.

Because we collapse towards the centre of the ice, we get hemmed in when their defensemen come up the wall and pinch down - after the puck is rung around the boards.

If we do get there first, there's NO puck support from another C or winger - and if their dmen is successful with his pinch; no one is covering their winger in the corner well enough.

There's jsut too many things that cause us to get hemmed in/attribute to our inability to break out.

It's really sad sometimes :laugh:.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that half the wingers chop at the puck and don't take a hit to pass the puck.

achtungbaby 05-02-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeebs (Post 65128725)
So Florida and NJ have far more talent than the Leafs?

Cause the way they have completely dominated possession against us in the past would seem to indicate that.

How many teams can you name that didn't completely dominate us in possession over the last month?

Huh? :dunno:

FlareKnight 05-02-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achtungbaby (Post 65130203)
Huh? :dunno:

There was nothing there too complicated to understand. If coaching isn't a factor and talent is, then you are saying Florida and New Jersey have far more talent and that's why they've dominated possession against us in previous games.

Stephen 05-02-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 (Post 65129523)
Dead-on.

Because we collapse towards the centre of the ice, we get hemmed in when their defensemen come up the wall and pinch down - after the puck is rung around the boards.

If we do get there first, there's NO puck support from another C or winger - and if their dmen is successful with his pinch; no one is covering their winger in the corner well enough.

There's jsut too many things that cause us to get hemmed in/attribute to our inability to break out.

It's really sad sometimes :laugh:.

Yep. Collapsing to the center of the ice in that besieged mentality seems to cause a lot of systematic problems. I guess the reason why they do that in the first place is if you restrict the area in which a knocked kneed defenseman like Fraser needs to cover, the more effective he can be in blocking guys out, clearing the slot, blocking shots and defending in general.

But the problem is you leave the boards vulnerable to cycles and their defensemen pinching, which extends the life of the opponent's stay in your end, as well as a bunch of shots from all sorts of wide angles.

A guy like Fraser isn't completely useless by any means, but if you pair him with a speedy guy, which we have in reserve, that guy can just use his speed and skill to execute a higher skill play to get the puck out when fanning on the puck fails. Franson is also slow-ish, so you're just making things worse for yourself.

achtungbaby 05-02-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egd27 (Post 65127021)
Of course it is.

Carlyle doesn't play Gardiner, Carlyle does play Kostka.

Hockey is very simple, play Gardiner, don't play Kostka. Problems solved.

At least that's what I got from reading the bulk of the "analysis" over the past 20 hours. :sarcasm:

:laugh: He also forgot to tell the team to shoot the puck. We can't forget that. :sarcasm:

LeafOfBread 05-02-2013 08:49 PM

It's a personnel issue. When the defense is fixed, which I presume it will be with off-season moves (sign Scuderi, please), a healthy Gardiner, and possibly one of our prospects coming up, it'll make a world of difference.

Some tweaks on forward will also help.

achtungbaby 05-02-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlareKnight (Post 65130925)
There was nothing there too complicated to understand. If coaching isn't a factor and talent is, then you are saying Florida and New Jersey have far more talent and that's why they've dominated possession against us in previous games.

Did you read the article? There have been a few crappy teams who have dominated possession against us for the past month. That was kind of the point. I assumed there was nothing there too complicated for people to understand but you're making me rethink that assessment. Surely you can put two and two together from here on out yes?

Diatomic 05-02-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didact (Post 65123749)
surprised Carlyle doesn't see this and shoves it to the side.

'Stats are for you guys'

AND

'We don't criticize a win'

Those are his 2 go-to saying when Reporters bring up shot-differentials or chance-differentials