HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Where can Miller go? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1418531)

kenfury 05-02-2013 07:20 PM

Where can Miller go?

I have been trying to come up with a trading partner for Ryan Miller but it seems we do not have a good one. The only two teams in the playoff that do not have top notch net minders are Washington and perhaps Detroit. I know that many here would like to move Miller from an asset management standpoint. Where do you see him going?

sba 05-02-2013 07:35 PM

Detroit just gave Jimmy Howard like 30mil over 6 years or something like that, they're out.

sba 05-02-2013 07:36 PM

You need a team like Chicago to get run out early due to poor goaltending, a scenario like that might open up a destination or two.

sabrecrazy57 05-02-2013 07:42 PM

Doesn't Philly have a goalie problem? I dont want Miller gone...but I was also wondering who needs a starter.

tsujimoto74 05-02-2013 07:57 PM

-Philly if they decide to buy out Bryz?
-Whichever team's goalie has a meltdown that ruins their playoff run?

Doesn't look like a great market to move a veteran goalie in right now. Maybe something will stir up in the summer, but I'm not getting my hopes up for Miller to net us a spectacular return.

enrothorne 05-02-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 (Post 65124025)
-Philly if they decide to buy out Bryz?
-Whichever team's goalie has a meltdown that ruins their playoff run?

Doesn't look like a great market to move a veteran goalie in right now. Maybe something will stir up in the summer, but I'm not getting my hopes up for Miller to net us a spectacular return.

It's almost never a great market for goalies. Especially high priced ones. That is one of the large reasons I'm not of the opinion that teams need to have that type.

Jacob582 05-02-2013 08:03 PM

It just seems like this summer will be tough to trade any high priced talent with the salary cap going down next year. Unless you take on half their salary.

ohheyimmark 05-02-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob582 (Post 65124399)
It just seems like this summer will be tough to trade any high priced talent with the salary cap going down next year. Unless you take on half their salary.

We're definitely in a position to do that.

Digable5 05-02-2013 08:38 PM

Even though Miller can only protect himself from 8 teams, he can essentially pick his destination or essentially block the Sabres from trading him altogether. If there is even 8 teams you could come up with that would want Miller, he should be able to figure out who they are and put them on his list. It will be very tough to get good value for him, but I'd rather take a little for him then to overpay him with a contract to keep him. As much as we won't need that cap space next year, removing that commitment for several years is more important to me then the return.

Bearbait 05-02-2013 11:44 PM

I'm keeping my eye on Edmonton, but then again, they may be on his list of 8 for all I know. They have the assets to give, and the natives are restless,add that to the fact that MacTavish may want to make a statement as the new GM, thats a recipe in the making

jBuds 05-02-2013 11:53 PM

To me, New Jersey has always been a prime destination for Miller

jBuds 05-02-2013 11:54 PM

NJ is perennially in "win now" mode and would likely want the heir apparent to Marty - which miller could be for the next five or six years.

Zip15 05-02-2013 11:56 PM

Winnipeg should want him. Pavelec sucks against pretty much everyone except the Sabres. But I'm not sure Miller would want to go there.

La Cosa Nostra 05-03-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jBuds (Post 65157157)
To me, New Jersey has always been a prime destination for Miller

For who? Obviously Larsson is off limits in a trade for Miller and they really don't have anything that attractive to trade. Lou has drafted terribly since 2005, Henrique is nice but he would be no more then our 3rd best center behind Cody and Ennis.I got no interest in Merrill as the centerpiece for Miller either. Hopefully no one mentions Zubrus or Tallinder :laugh: Guys like Tedenby, Josefson etc are pretty unattractive in a trade for a top 10 goalie.

I think the Isles would be a good spot for him if he doesn't have them on his list, Nabokov is on his last legs and they have no one else even close to Millers level . He could team with Tavares as the face of the franchise when they move to Brooklyn.

Either

Kyle Okposo + 2nd

Or

Josh Bailey + 1st

jBuds 05-03-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Layne Staley (Post 65164027)
For who? Obviously Larsson is off limits in a trade for Miller and they really don't have anything that attractive to trade. Lou has drafted terribly since 2005, Henrique is nice but he would be no more then our 3rd best center behind Cody and Ennis.I got no interest in Merrill as the centerpiece for Miller either. Hopefully no one mentions Zubrus or Tallinder :laugh: Guys like Tedenby, Josefson etc are pretty unattractive in a trade for a top 10 goalie.

I think the Isles would be a good spot for him if he doesn't have them on his list, Nabokov is on his last legs and they have no one else even close to Millers level . He could team with Tavares as the face of the franchise when they move to Brooklyn.

Either

Kyle Okposo + 2nd

Or

Josh Bailey + 1st

Remember the Isles have Montoya and Tim Thomas, and Poulin and Nilsson are young. They're probably not going to add someone into the mix for next year...so while I don't disagree that they may be a good fit, I don't think the timing is right.

NJ: I'd take both Larsson and Henrique, as they'd certainly be welcomed additions to a rebuild...Matteau is appealing as a prospect, though his Armada debacle has me appropriately questioning his maturity, drive, compete level, and whether or not I want a diva thrown into the mix during the rebuild...

any trade with them would also have Wedgewood (or Kinkaid, a bit older) coming to us for young depth between the pipes, though he's far from an elite prospect (another reason why they'd want Miller...zero "elite" goalie prospects in the pipe)

Certainly Jon Merrill is appealing...Reid Boucher is a guy I'd take in a trade... Alex Urbom would certainly be a name they'd move before most of the others listed...

So while there aren't any "blow you away" prospects, you could gather a nice stable of them plus draft picks and hope that a couple of them pan out... It's not as ideal as getting some immediate help on the roster now, but if the pickings are slim regarding partners to trade with for Miller, I'd entertain whatever is out there. You aren't going to keep him and have him walk for nothing...

BCS 05-03-2013 02:43 AM

Montoya's a Jet, FWIW.

jBuds 05-03-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Better Call Saul (Post 65168391)
Montoya's a Jet, FWIW.

That's right... Not sure what I was thinking. I'm out of it

Squantosawuss 05-03-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enrothorne (Post 65124175)
It's almost never a great market for goalies. Especially high priced ones. That is one of the large reasons I'm not of the opinion that teams need to have that type.

Relying on a great, high paid goalie is nothing but trouble. Waaaay too much is hinging on one guy's performance--and if he starts to suck, you're stuck with quite a financial burden.

Isles and Philly come to mind.

wunderpanda 05-03-2013 07:33 AM

Coyotes would be perfect if they had an owner, GM and coach. Out of the conference, nearer his family, good defensive prospect pool, and Mike Smith is a UFA this summer.

Maloney had Darcy as his Ast. GM with the Islanders too.

We could get some good pieces and they could fill 2 needs; starting goalie and marquee name to sell tickets. What better way for a new owner to show a commitment to a fan base that has been abused than acquiring a Vezina winning Silver medalist.

jBuds 05-03-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squantosawuss (Post 65170855)
Relying on a great, high paid goalie is nothing but trouble. Waaaay too much is hinging on one guy's performance--and if he starts to suck, you're stuck with quite a financial burden.

Isles and Philly come to mind.

Vancouver paying $10m to their backup fits the bill as well. Howard has signed quite the extension in DET for a slightly-above-average keeper who has not proven anything worth while.

Seems that teams who keep lower profile goalies and build elsewhere are trending. See SJ, Anaheim, StL, OTT, WSH

SabresAreScaryGood 05-03-2013 08:10 AM

The Florida Panthers. A year removed from a division title. Brian Campbell.

Chainshot 05-03-2013 08:14 AM

It might be easier to look at who likely wouldn't want him:

- Rangers have Lundqvist
- Canucks have both Luongo and Schneider
- Detroit signed Howard to a big money deal
- Kings have Conn Smythe winner Quick
- Pens have MAF
- Minny has Backstrom
- Montreal has Price
- Boston has Rask
- The Sens have the Anderson/Lehner combo
- Carolina has Ward
- Nashville has Rinne
- Columbus has a resurrected Bobrovsky
- San Jose has Niemi and on a bargain deal too

Then there are the destinations who might be on his list of 8. I would speculate the following might be on his list due to a number of factors:

- Toronto (has stated a personal hatred for the fans/team)
- Edmonton (low standings, hard winters)
- Winnipeg (fringe team, hard winters)
- Colorado (bad team, internal problems)
- Calgary (bad team, hard winters)

Then there are the teams who have invested something else to solve their goaltending:

- Colorado (again, and with a first rounder invested in acquiring Varlamov)
- Tampa (Lindback and Bishop deals, all those goaltending draft picks)
- Florida (Markstrom)
- Dallas (dealt for Lehtonen)

Then there are possible destinations that require something else to make it happen:

- Chicago, with the idea that someone has to fall down badly when they have two guys to lean on. Add in that the Hawks are probably already looking at another round of cap casualties to useful guys like Bolland, Bickell, or Stahlberg and it seems unlikely they will look to Miller even if the aforementioned mystical goaltending failure occurs.
- Philadephia, with the idea that they're buying out Bryzgalov which publically at least they recently denied they would do. They also have cap issues to look at too.
- The Devils, contingent on Brodeur retiring
- St. Louis, much like Chicago, the idea that their Halak/Elliot/Allen trifecta falls apart in the playoffs. They don't have the cap issues the Hawks do to take on the salary.
- Anaheim who have a capable pair with Fasth and Hiller but would have to be convinced they need Miller as an upgrade.
- Washington who have gotten good, cheap goaltending from a variety of prospect/young netminders for two years now.
- Islanders who have Nabakov un-signed and are a budget team right now who have a stated goal of building through youth and not spending much money.

That leaves :

- Phoenix... who are still a budget team and may (would) need Buffalo to hold salary to make it work if they are not willing to sign Smith.

So the market that would drive a big return is just not there, no matter how many "just wait until you see the return Ryan Miller gets!!" posts people make on the trade board. Saying (typing) something over and over and over again doesn't make it any closer to true. There is a limited market and more supply (like Luongo or Schneider as well as Miller) to meet the demand.

kenfury 05-03-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunderpanda (Post 65171729)
Coyotes would be perfect if they had an owner, GM and coach. Out of the conference, nearer his family, good defensive prospect pool, and Mike Smith is a UFA this summer.

Maloney had Darcy as his Ast. GM with the Islanders too.

We could get some good pieces and they could fill 2 needs; starting goalie and marquee name to sell tickets. What better way for a new owner to show a commitment to a fan base that has been abused than acquiring a Vezina winning Silver medalist.

I thought about that but I have doubts the ownership (read:NHL) would do the deal and resign him because like Vanek if you are looking at maximizing his value the deal becomes a sign and trade type proposition. Ideally, I think, Buffalo resigns Miller on Jun 1, to a 3 or 4 year deal with a big signing bonus and moves him on Jun 2 while eating 50% of his cap hit.

stokes84 05-03-2013 08:56 AM

Phoenix would work on a number of levels. It's a goaltender friendly system where Miller can boost his stats going into FA. Say what you will about how important proximity to his wife is, but a flight from Phoenix to LA is MUCH more palatable than Buffalo to LA. It also give Phoenix some badly needed star power.

I wonder if a trade could be made based around Miller and Yandle?

Chainshot 05-03-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 65173461)
Phoenix would work on a number of levels. It's a goaltender friendly system where Miller can boost his stats going into FA. Say what you will about how important proximity to his wife is, but a flight from Phoenix to LA is MUCH more palatable than Buffalo to LA. It also give Phoenix some badly needed star power.

I wonder if a trade could be made based around Miller and Yandle?

So Miller and #8 for Yandle?