HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Player Discussion: Chris Kelly needs to show up (NOW) or ship out this summer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1421145)

Colt.45Orr 05-05-2013 11:51 AM

Chris Kelly needs to show up (NOW) or ship out this summer

Stat line:
Last 5 games: 0pts, -3

15 games before that: 4pts, -7

3 goals all season.
6 assists.

Flip the Switch:
OK, so the guy has a nightmare of a season --just a complete black hole of offense and whomever is on his line just produces absolutely nothing. I'm not about to give him a free pass because of the injury because he played poor before and after it (even when the rest of the team was hot, he was not).

Now, obviously, he was not the only Bruin to struggle this season by their standards --but there was much talk about the playoff do-over and Horton, Lucic and Krejci have all jumped on that opportunity.

Kelly brings speed to a series where we do not have much and the opposition does. We really need Kelly to step up on both sides of the puck, and so far we have not seen it like we did in the past.

What is worse, we really need Jagr to get going and while it is easy to go back to the beloved hfboards "effort" angle --that is not the problem. Anybody that doubts Jagr's desire is delusional... he needs to play with talent that can play and think the game on his level; too many times I just see Kelly standing around watching him rather than moving to the space Jagr creates by holding the puck and drawing guys too him.

He is a good defensive forward who was great for us in the 2011 playoff run by adding scoring ability to the resume and then followed that up with a career year where he nearly doubled his average production from previous seasons. So Chia either panicked over losing him or thought he was a late-bloomer and proceeded to overpay him to the tune of 3milliion a year.

This year he is back to his 20ish pt pace and it is killing us right now. We need 3 lines rolling and scoring and, as much as I would LOVE for him to reform to 2011 form, we cannot afford to gamble our season on it.

I get that he is as much of a Claude guy as there is. A defensive vet who never tries anything risky/creative will never be in Claude's doghouse but we need to move him off Jagr's line ASAP --or continue to waste one of the greatest talents ever to come through Beantown.

The Dogman, who brings many of the same elements as Kelly at 1/4 the cost --is not the answer. The answer looks, to me, to be moving Kelly down to C the 4th line for Campbell and putting the big-bodied Euro's together. Soderberg looked much more comfortable up the middle and led the 2nd best league in the world in scoring for a reason --this is a team that could really use his finishing (and size) up front.

Lucic--Krejci--Horton
Marchand--Bergeron--Seguin
Raptor--Soderberg--Jagr
Paille--Kelly--Thornton

I realize that Julien wouldn't make this move, but it is more about switching Kelly for Soderberg, it is about getting Jagr going and making us a dangerous scoring team.

To me, this post-season is also an audition for Kelly (and Raptor) to keep his/their job in Boston next year (NTC be damned). As for Kelly, do we really need his role anchoring (literally) a line when Krejci and Campbell are defensively responsible and Bergeron is a Selke winner?

I just re-read this before posting and I realize it sounds like a Kelly hack job and that was not my intent originally but I suppose much of this wrote itself following my thoughts on him. We need his speed, but if he cannot bring some offense too then we need to move him out --both in the short and long term. Dropping Kelly and Raptor this year would not have hurt us one bit and that is 6+m in salary alone. With the cap dropping next year this will only become more relevant --regardless of how the Leafs series turns out.

BNHL 05-05-2013 11:53 AM

Kelly,Peverley,Thornton,Ference,Horton........

Bi Coastal Bawse* 05-05-2013 11:55 AM

Ship out Peverley before Kelly
I have been on Ference all season but he has shown up a lot lately
Thornton needs to start doing his job and neutralize other teams tough guys

Orr keeps running around out there

PatriceBergeronFan 05-05-2013 11:55 AM

He and Peverley need to be the team's priorities -- of getting rid of them.

Kelly never was close to worth his extension, even scoring his 20 goals. We knew he'd never come close again as a typical 30 point bottom six forward. He's great defensively but worse than bad offensively. Nice seeing him drop the gloves the other night, at least.

Colt.45Orr 05-05-2013 11:55 AM

For the Kelly defenders --please name me the teams that would want to trade actual assets for him next year so they can pay him 3,500,000

Yeti34 05-05-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNHL (Post 65330783)

Horton has been scoring, Ference has been solid, and Thornton is doing his job.

CLC* 05-05-2013 11:56 AM

grow some nuts, Play Yetti on the first, haha

BNHL 05-05-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeti34 (Post 65331083)
Horton has been scoring, Ference has been solid, and Thornton is doing his job.

Horton's as good as gone as is Ference and Peverley. Thornton? What is his job?

CLC* 05-05-2013 12:01 PM

oh...by the way, I love the Bruins

bostonphoenix 05-05-2013 12:01 PM

Kelly peverley are playing poorly.

But the discussion about what needs to change next season begins with shipping Milan Lucic.

If this team does not get out of this round, big things needs to change.

Colt.45Orr 05-05-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse (Post 65331021)
Ship out Peverley before Kelly
I have been on Ference all season but he has shown up a lot lately
Thornton needs to start doing his job and neutralize other teams tough guys

Orr keeps running around out there

We need a big 4th liner that can actually throw a friggen bodycheck so that other teams are actually worried about us for once and not the other way around.

I'd love to have Kaleta or Rinaldo in a series like this.

Also, it would be really nice to have a big body to wear opposing D down. Hell, Orr is a UFA this summer...

TCL40 05-05-2013 12:01 PM

Peverly is just as bad.

I think the fact that both are struggling this season has just made it harder for that line to be productive.

Colt.45Orr 05-05-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostonphoenix (Post 65331565)
(1)Kelly peverley are playing poorly.

(2) But the discussion about what needs to change next season begins with shipping Milan Lucic.

(3)If this team does not get out of this round, big things needs to change.

(1) Agreed.
(2) Dead wrong.
(3) Agreed.

BigBadBruin8 05-05-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr (Post 65331065)
For the Kelly defenders --please name me the teams that would want to trade actual assets for him next year so they can pay him 3,500,000

Not a Kelly defender, but that's a short list: Ottawa.

BigBadBruin8 05-05-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr (Post 65331573)
We need a big 4th liner that can actually throw a friggen bodycheck so that other teams are actually worried about us for once and not the other way around.

Also, it would be really nice to have a big body to wear opposing D down. Hell, Orr is a UFA this summer...

Would LOVE Rinaldo as a Bruin. LOVE it. Kids hits anything that moves, twice.

Orr may be a UFA, but I'd rather have Frazer McLaren. He's an RFA though and could quite easily be the replacement for Orr.

Bruinswillwin77 05-05-2013 12:12 PM

The whole season alot of players have blown. Even Seguin, he creates so many "almost" goals. Its like listening to baseball on the radio "ITS HIT FAR AND DEEEP ITS GOING ITS GOING.... ANDDDD... foul."

Colt.45Orr 05-05-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 (Post 65331743)
Not a Kelly defender, but that's a short list: Ottawa.

I disagree (after this season) --they have moved on with younger/ cheaper/ better.

Bi Coastal Bawse* 05-05-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 (Post 65331913)
Would LOVE Rinaldo as a Bruin. LOVE it. Kids hits anything that moves, twice.

Orr may be a UFA, but I'd rather have Frazer McLaren. He's an RFA though and could quite easily be the replacement for Orr.

Would LOVE Orr as a Bruin Mclaren would be good too.

I always wanted the team to claim Mcgrattan but it seems he can't stay healthy

Rinaldo would also be good

Kaleta..........no

and people still saying ship out Lucic :laugh:

Mpata 05-05-2013 12:25 PM

Just last week Artemis was saying how Jagr shouldn't think he is better than Kelly.

I honestly don't think Kelly has been good at any point in the last two seasons. Something happened at the start of last season and he put up a lot of goals. After that, he hasn't done anything.

Peverly can't score.

We need scorers.

Bruinswillwin77 05-05-2013 12:34 PM

Wade Redden's their best goal scorer as of late it seems. That's a problem. :help:

WBC8 05-05-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNHL (Post 65330783)

Would be nice if Bergeron contributed more than one assist in his past 12 games.

whatsbruin 05-05-2013 12:42 PM

Clode has to get Soderberg in the line up, but I doubt he does.
Sit either Kelly or Pevs, and play Soderberg wtih Jagr.
It's maddening the lines Clode puts together.

WBC8 05-05-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr (Post 65331573)

Bruins will make a run at Orr. For all saying how bad he Sucks what do you think about Carlyle keeping him out consistently vs the Jagr line? He has helped shut them down.

bb74 05-05-2013 12:44 PM

I'd go with this instead.

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Marchand-Campbell-Jagr
Peverly-Bergeron-Seguin
Paille-Soderberg-Kelly

March / Soup / Jagr were playing very well a bit back. LKH is doing fine. Ask Bergie to be the shutdown guy and look to spring Seguin if the opportunity arises. Tell the 4th line they are North / South and just needs to maintain possession and crash the net.

As for next year, let's see what these guys have in their bellies before offing people.

WBC8 05-05-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr (Post 65332609)
I disagree (after this season) --they have moved on with younger/ cheaper/ better.

And they are absolutely loaded with big time skilled prospects.