HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Plekanec news! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=14218)

Subban Fan 09-25-2003 06:32 AM

Plekanec news!

According to Canadian Press, Tomas Plekanec could mix things up! Claude Julien has only good words when he talks about Pleks: "He is a very talented player who's not afraid to go in the corners..." "He's the kind of player who can score big goals in important situations..."

With the injuries of Koivu, Kilger and Gratton, do you think he has a chance to make the big club?

mcphee 09-25-2003 06:39 AM

Oh God no, the poster will be unbearable. Joking Plekanec, really. it would be interesting to see someone make it who wasn't expected to.

Munchausen 09-25-2003 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komi#1
According to Canadian Press, Tomas Plekanec could mix things up! Claude Julien has only good words when he talks about Pleks: "He is a very talented player who's not afraid to go in the corners..." "He's the kind of player who can score big goals in important situations..."

With the injuries of Koivu, Kilger and Gratton, do you think he has a chance to make the big club?

The coach will likely have good words about a lot of rookies (he did for Higgins and Perezhogin too) but that doesn't mean they have more of a chance to make it. He just acknowledges the fact that he likes what he sees in them and probably thinks they'll become good players one day but their place is likely in the AHL for now.

I'm not saying this to be a party pooper but we have loads of unmovable bodies in Montreal. Unless the NHL decides they'll allow a 25 player roster this year, it's not gonna happen (IMO)...

Subban Fan 09-25-2003 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
The coach will likely have good words about a lot of rookies (he did for Higgins and Perezhogin too) but that doesn't mean they have more of a chance to make it. He just acknowledges the fact that he likes what he sees in them and probably thinks they'll become good players one day but their place is likely in the AHL for now.

I'm not saying this to be a party pooper but we have loads of unmovable bodies in Montreal. Unless the NHL decides they'll allow a 25 player roster this year, it's not gonna happen (IMO)...

I know it sounds strange but the journalist seems to think there is a possibility to see him in the starting lineup...

danboulie 09-25-2003 11:20 AM

Quote:

Even if we had a 25 man roster, i wouldn't want him there unless he was going to get a decent amount of minutes a night. With all prospects, it's always best for them to get lots of minutes in the AHL as opposed to getting a few in the NHL.

Top Corner2 09-25-2003 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphotic
Even if we had a 25 man roster, i wouldn't want him there unless he was going to get a decent amount of minutes a night. With all prospects, it's always best for them to get lots of minutes in the AHL as opposed to getting a few in the NHL.

If I'm not mistaken he's already played in the Czech extraligue and the AHL...I think he has games under his belt....I don't know that minutes are as important to him as they are to perrogies and Higgs.

RichardZednik#20 09-25-2003 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plekanec
I read an article no long ago that was saying Pleks maybe could make it but it's very unprobable... We just dont have room for him at the moment...

Pleks will be there next season, nothing more obvious than that!

I would not say that. In fact I don't think he is in long terme plan for MTL. And I'm not saying that to pissed you off but thats what I think.

1-Koivu
2-Zednik
3-Perezhogin
4-Bulis
5-Ribeiro or another bigger C out of FA or trade
6-Kastitsyn
7-Ryder
8-Ward
9-Kilger or another big guy with same style
10-Hossa
11-higgins
12-Sundstrom

Other like Ferland, Urquhart, etc.... are coming also. Plekanec is very good but small. We have alot like this and our best prospect are small also. With Koivu on center we need bigger body too fill the 2nd line in long terme plan. If Ribeiro works out we will need to find a ery solid 3rd line sized center. On left wing we have Bulis, Higgins, Hossa and Kastitsyn ahead of him. On RW Zednik, Perezhogin, Ward, Ryder, Sundstrom and Ferland.

pup 09-25-2003 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
With the speed and talent Plekanec has... he is DEFINATELY in our plans, what you're saying is just STUPIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

P.S for saying that but it frustates me to see how people can be so wrong.

Plekanec is another small Euro that the Habs DO NOT NEED .

Gritty ,Big North Americans need apply only.
Garbage.
:rant:

gohabsgo2010 09-25-2003 03:29 PM

Quote:

With the speed and talent Plekanec has... he is DEFINATELY in our plans, what you're saying is just STUPIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

He was in Savard's plans, yes. Is he in Gainey's plans? I would tend to think Gainey would be more inclined to have a bigger body down the middle, despite the skill that Plekanec brings.

PS - Comparing him to Chistov is like comparing Archer to Chara.

Boutmania 09-25-2003 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plekanec
I read an article no long ago that was saying Pleks maybe could make it but it's very unprobable... We just dont have room for him at the moment...

Pleks will be there next season, nothing more obvious than that!

There won't be a season next year. Nothing is more obvious than that!

Maithz 09-25-2003 03:37 PM

I just want to say that Plekanec could be a surprised , If he don't start the season with the Habs he will be the #1 center in Hamilton . Plekanec have impress me in Training camp.

RichardZednik#20 09-25-2003 03:38 PM

Quote:

Small and soft: Koivu, Perezhogin, Kastsitsyn, Riberio, Sundstrom, Plekanec.

Big but soft: Hossa, Kilger (60 games on 82)

Small with grit: Zednik, Bulis, Ryder, Higgins

Big with grit: Ward, Ferland

Don't you think we should look to get some more muscle. Alot of veteran will be gone but our team will become weaker in grit. Anyway thats my opinion.

Dutchy 09-25-2003 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20

Don't you think we should look to get some more muscle. Alot of veteran will be gone but our team will become weaker in grit. Anyway thats my opinion.

I would actually think that Koivu has more grit than Zednik... :dunno:

gohabsgo2010 09-25-2003 03:50 PM

Bulis is gritty and Koivu is not? Unless Bulis drank your shrinking potion, he's 6 foot 2, far from small.

Brisebois 09-25-2003 03:57 PM

Quote:

Man, we could use some big, gritty centres.

Munchausen 09-25-2003 05:55 PM

Quote:

Correction: Koivu is not soft (how you can one come to that conclusion is beyond me). Bulis and Ryder are not small and Kastsitsyn is actually touted according to Timmins as a gritty fiesty player that is relentless on the ice. Also, if you're talking about the future, Ryder, Ward, Higgins, Koivu, Zednik, Kastsitsyn, Ferland, Lapierre, Urquhart, Bulis is not what I consider a soft team, especially considering the monsters we have at D (Souray, Komo, Archer, O'byrne).

nilan1 09-25-2003 06:35 PM

I like plex esspecially when I saw him on sportsnet in the playoffs last yr.For those who think he might not make it remember he is already better then Ribs he can skate grind and put up good numbers.Ribs is not guarenteed anything and might be put in the minors to make room if someone else is not moved so he does have a chance.

Marmax 09-25-2003 06:57 PM

Quote:

Let me guess... you don't even have a clue about what you are talking about.

Koivu is a gritty forward, Perezhogin was a good two way player in Russia, we saw slim to none about Kastsitsyn except U-18 where he was playing with grit (have you ever saw him play??) and Sundstrom his not gritty nor soft.

Zednik 6" 200 lbs Ryder 6"1 200lbs and Bulis 6"2 201lbs are not what I would call small

Mike8 09-25-2003 08:22 PM

Quote:

Also, if you're talking about the future, Ryder, Ward, Higgins, Koivu, Zednik, Kastsitsyn, Ferland, Lapierre, Urquhart, Bulis is not what I consider a soft team, especially considering the monsters we have at D (Souray, Komo, Archer, O'byrne).

I don't know, I don't see it as a particularly gritty team. I think there is still a huge need for grit among the prospect list. Ward, Lapierre, Ferland and Higgins impress me with their grit, but only Lapierre really focuses on that style of play. Maybe Ward as well.

I may not be the best judge of what an adequate amount of grit is as that's the type of hockey I enjoy. Ideally I would like to see a team similar to the St.Louis Blues. Fast-paced hockey; one mucker/grinder/agitator on every line, one sniper, and one playmaker. I absolutely love Scott Mellanby's game, as well as Jackman, Mayers, Danton, Drake, Weight, Tkachuk, Salvador. The team is loaded with grit and talent.

If we look at Colorado in their peak, they had Drury, Forsberg, Deadmarsh, C.Lemieux, Foote, and a good cast of grit among their depth. I just don't see the potential Foote or Deadmarsh here. The players with talent that focus on mixing it up a lot.

In Detroit, they have Shanahan. Yzerman was as gritty as anyone. The Grind Line. Now Chelios and Hatcher.

In NJ, they set the tone as far as developing pesky shadowers. Madden, Holik, Stevens, Colin White, Daneyko, Langenbrunner, Arnott, etcetera.

With the players you mentioned.. I just don't see the comparable talent. Who will emerge as a top 6 forward that can focus on the grittier aspect of the games? Higgins is not the answer there. Lapierre is strictly a depth pest (but I'm excited about him!). Eneqvist is flying under the radar but is much in the same role as Lapierre with more refined offensive skills.

I'd like to see some players drafted for their work ethic, skating, mean streak, character first and foremost from now on. Those are the types of players that can build a foundation for a club.

Sorry for the long post.. it's an interesting topic, and I can't wait until hockey season starts! :D Preseason is such a tease time of year. I hate Septembers. :p

Munchausen 09-26-2003 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
I don't know, I don't see it as a particularly gritty team. I think there is still a huge need for grit among the prospect list. Ward, Lapierre, Ferland and Higgins impress me with their grit, but only Lapierre really focuses on that style of play. Maybe Ward as well.

I may not be the best judge of what an adequate amount of grit is as that's the type of hockey I enjoy. Ideally I would like to see a team similar to the St.Louis Blues. Fast-paced hockey; one mucker/grinder/agitator on every line, one sniper, and one playmaker. I absolutely love Scott Mellanby's game, as well as Jackman, Mayers, Danton, Drake, Weight, Tkachuk, Salvador. The team is loaded with grit and talent.

If we look at Colorado in their peak, they had Drury, Forsberg, Deadmarsh, C.Lemieux, Foote, and a good cast of grit among their depth. I just don't see the potential Foote or Deadmarsh here. The players with talent that focus on mixing it up a lot.

In Detroit, they have Shanahan. Yzerman was as gritty as anyone. The Grind Line. Now Chelios and Hatcher.

In NJ, they set the tone as far as developing pesky shadowers. Madden, Holik, Stevens, Colin White, Daneyko, Langenbrunner, Arnott, etcetera.

With the players you mentioned.. I just don't see the comparable talent. Who will emerge as a top 6 forward that can focus on the grittier aspect of the games? Higgins is not the answer there. Lapierre is strictly a depth pest (but I'm excited about him!). Eneqvist is flying under the radar but is much in the same role as Lapierre with more refined offensive skills.

I'd like to see some players drafted for their work ethic, skating, mean streak, character first and foremost from now on. Those are the types of players that can build a foundation for a club.

Sorry for the long post.. it's an interesting topic, and I can't wait until hockey season starts! :D Preseason is such a tease time of year. I hate Septembers. :p

I do beleive we have enough grit in the system and the team as it is, but not enough toughness up front and that's maybe what you were getting at. Playing with grit for me is being relentless on the ice, being fearless and not shying away from contact (but not necessarily initiating it) while keeping the wheels in high gears at all times.

All the players I mentioned are playing this way to various extend. But very few, Ward and maybe Ryder being the closest ones, play a tough and physical game by throwing their bodies around and creating some room on the ice for their linemates.

So this leads us toward the power-forward discussion and that, I would agree, we don't have enough (which would be one or two dominant ones maximum, like Shane Doan for example).