HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   An All-Russian NHL team? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=14221)

Yammer 09-25-2003 06:55 AM

An All-Russian NHL team?

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/stor...5-94182EB82CB1

In the event that Roman Abramavitch buys an NHL team and stocks it with Russian NHLers --

- how feasible is it to populate a team entirely with Russians? Assume that payroll is unlimited but that normal trading rules apply.

- how would that team be accepted by its fans?

- how successful or not would that team be?

Triple Klutz 09-25-2003 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yammer
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/stor...5-94182EB82CB1

In the event that Roman Abramavitch buys an NHL team and stocks it with Russian NHLers --

- how feasible is it to populate a team entirely with Russians? Assume that payroll is unlimited but that normal trading rules apply.

- how would that team be accepted by its fans?

- how successful or not would that team be?

It's an interesting concept, but I can't see the league allowing it if he's up front about wanting only Russians. If a guy wanted to buy a baseball team and stock it only with white players, or blacks, how far do you think he'd get? I'm not sure the league would also stand for the fire sale that would follow him buying the Canucks. It's pretty hard to justify trading guys likes Naslund and Bertuzzi just because they're not Russian. Of course, there's probably nothing stopping him from buying a team and over time quietly going with Russians through the draft, free agency and trades. Wait a minute, that's already happening in Chicago!

Foppa 09-25-2003 07:44 AM

If he buys a team, he'll go after the best players, period. He's brought in only one Russian for Chelski, Alexei Smertin...and he was immediately loaned out. Granted, there are a higher number of world class Russian hockey players than soccer players. And I could see him staffing the club with a lot of Russians. But a star player is a star player and that's who Roman is going to go after.

But in the NHL you cannot simply buy players off of other teams of course, which means he isn't likely to have the same drastic, immediate impact on an NHL team as he did on Chelski. His finanical might would no doubt prove powerful over the course of a few years though.

As much as I despise Chelski and as much as people in general despise rich owners who splash cash left and right with no concern for the well-being of the game...if he did buy the Canucks or another team...it would be very interesting to say the least.

Yammer 09-25-2003 08:54 AM

Yes, wouldn't it.

Ethically, professionally, culturally, sociologically, and financially, this would be an incredible circus, media event, commentary on the sport, commentary on sport, commentary on business.

I doubt that it would happen as alleged in the Russian press, but part of me hopes that it would, just to see.

Out of curiousity, if one were to be a GM with a mandate of assembling a Russian (-esque) team out of the Canucks, with cost no object but value the other way being reasonable, how would it look?

Kovalchuk = Bertuzzi + salary?
Yashin = Naslund?

Who plays goal?

Peter Griffin 09-25-2003 08:58 AM

Quote:

Who plays goal?

Khabibulin or Nabokov. There isn't anyone else who is good enough.

tmg 09-25-2003 09:02 AM

Personally, I'd love to see it.

I don't think he could do it overnight (in one summer trade off all nonrussians), but as a general draft strategy and selective free agent signing make the team predominantly russian inside a decade while being competitive all the way along.

I think the ideal candidate would be one of the New York City area teams. There is enough of a Russian population in the New York area that there should be a significant market for people who could really show up and consider this their 'home team'. Television broadcast rights back to Russia would surely be a major source of revenue for the club.

monster_bertuzzi 09-25-2003 10:06 AM

Samsonov-Yashin-Kovalev
Mogilny-Fedorov-Kovalchuk
Kozlov-Zhamnov-Kozlov
Saprykin-Antropov-Perezhogan

Gonchar-Mironov
Kasparaitis-Zubov
Markov-Vishnevsky

Khabibulin

^That team would kick some serious a$$.

RoyIsALegend* 09-25-2003 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Kasparaitis-Mironov
Markov-Zubov
Markov-Vishnevsky

Khabibulin

Surely Sergei Gonchar would be there.

monster_bertuzzi 09-25-2003 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Surely Sergei Gonchar would be there.

I knew I forgot someone...

Peter Griffin 09-25-2003 10:30 AM

Quote:

Samsonov-Yashin-Kovalev
Kozlov-Zhamnov-Kozlov

Gonchar-Mironov
Kasparaitis-Zubov
Markov-Vishnevsky

Khabibulin

Or get their ***** kicked...

Beukeboom Fan 09-25-2003 10:35 AM

Quote:

Samsonov-Yashin-Kovalev
Kozlov-Zhamnov-Kozlov

Gonchar-Mironov
Kasparaitis-Zubov
Markov-Vishnevsky

Khabibulin

Quick question though, how is the CCCP team going to acquire all the non-UFA's? I can't see Samosonov, Kovalchuk, Atnoropov, Markov & Gonchar getting traded for peanuts. And the Russian billionare would still have to outbid anyone else for the UFA's services. What's he going to do have a $100M payroll?

HF2002 09-25-2003 10:36 AM

It would be an interesting situation. That being said, I don't see him trading away players such as Naslund or Bertuzzi if the return isn't good enough.

What would really make this interesting is if he bought a struggling team(fan wise) such as Atlanta or Florida or some southern American team and then wanted to move it to Moscow. It could be the start of NHL Europe. I'm not saying it'll happen but it would be interesting. Does anyone know if NHL rules prohibit teams from moving outside North America? I know that a certain % of the other owners have to approve of any relocation move, but I'm sure he could buy them off with a huge Russian tv contract.

Just a thought....

Looger 09-25-2003 10:37 AM

i can see one serious disadvantage:

if a team makes it publicly known they would only draft russians, then teams drafting ahead of them would scoop them up and make outrageous trade demands.

might also see a stable of undrafted, home-grown talent back home that would 'sneak' in as free agents.

it all sounds very seedy, and scandalous.

bring it on!

Foppa 09-25-2003 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
What's he going to do have a $100M payroll?

He has the pockets and ambition to go MUCH higher than that if need be.

Yammer 09-25-2003 10:59 AM

Thanks for the interesting replies.

Regarding NHL interference, I don't see how this would bring the image of the NHL into disrepute. It's not about hoarding the best players, nor is it about deliberately tanking to get the highest picks.

Regarding payroll, it would seem likely that the team would obtain its grinders, enforcers, and other no-namers from Russia or other leagues abroad, and have a few (or more) star NHL Russians.

Regarding motivation, I'm not Russian but am given to understand that they are fervent nationalists. I mean, fanatical. Their history, pride in culture, the achievements in science and art, their triumphs as a grand tapestry of blood and iron, the sacrifices at Stalingrad, and all that. Not for nothing was the old Soviet anthem the most sentimental, hummable, and powerful around.

This Abramovitch character is quite the overachiever. Did you notice the part where he's also the governor of some eastern province or another? The more I think about it, the more I think that this is GOING to happen...

Beukeboom Fan 09-25-2003 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foppa
He has the pockets and ambition to go MUCH higher than that if need be.

Well, if he's willing to flush the cash, and the league doesn't have some sort of salary cap, he could sign as many of the Russian UFA's as he wanted.

I'm not a "euro-phobe", but it seems I'm not sure if the team as constituted would have the nastiness & defensive committment to be a serious contender. Only 3 forwards (Federov, Zhamnov & Antropov) have a defensive conscience, and only Kasparitis has a real physical presence on the blueline.

That being said, that team has a scary amount of skill. I think it's success would depend on how many of the non-UFA players listed they could acquire.

Foppa 09-25-2003 11:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the interesting replies.

Regarding NHL interference, I don't see how this would bring the image of the NHL into disrepute. It's not about hoarding the best players, nor is it about deliberately tanking to get the highest picks.

Well, my point is that while there is speculation that he would have this super-Russian team...it is far more likely and logical that he WILL simply try to horde the best talents out there regardless of price or nationality, becasue that is exactly what he has done with his soccer club.

It might be a "Russian Revolution" of sorts and he might go after one or two marquee Russian stars (annd hire veteran Russians in coaching and managing positions) but the notion of an all-Russian team in Vancouver or anywhere in the current NHL in the near future is about as likely as one of the top Russian teams simply 'joining' the league.

My opinion, at least...he's eccentric but he seems the type who would rather have a sure-fire winner loaded with all kinds of stars than an odditity.

Looger 09-25-2003 11:27 AM

anyone remember that aftershave commercial (i think) where don cherry is drifting off, and he's daydreaming, "the russians have won the stanley cup! the russians have won..."

could become a reality. i for one can't wait to hear grapes sound off on this one!

Chevy Cheveldae 09-25-2003 02:07 PM

Quote:

Samsonov-Yashin-Kovalev
Kozlov-Zhamnov-Kozlov

Gonchar-Mironov
Kasparaitis-Zubov
Markov-Vishnevsky

Khabibulin

and what if he'd like to add some physical presence (sp?) and some stars to actually go for the cup .....

Mogilny-Fedorov-Kariya
Heatley-Forsberg-Kovalchuk
Bertuzzi-Sundin-Näslund
Satan-Thornton-Jagr

Gonchar-Kasparaitis
Blake-Lidström
Pronger-Stevens

Brodeur

you can replace them with better guys if u have, but this is just to prove a point that this guy actually can sign and trade for a team like this - he just need to ask these guys if they want to be in a team to win the Cup .......it would be like an All-stars lineup out there every night

Kevin Forbes 09-25-2003 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweden
and what if he'd like to add some physical presence (sp?) and some stars to actually go for the cup .....

Mogilny-Fedorov-Kariya
Heatley-Forsberg-Kovalchuk
Bertuzzi-Sundin-Näslund
Satan-Thornton-Jagr

Gonchar-Kasparaitis
Blake-Lidström
Pronger-Stevens

Brodeur

you can replace them with better guys if u have, but this is just to prove a point that this guy actually can sign and trade for a team like this - he just need to ask these guys if they want to be in a team to win the Cup .......it would be like an All-stars lineup out there every night

I don't get what you're saying
the first roster was just an example of russian depth in the league
this one is just like an all-star roster, how will that accurately represent this team?
firstly: just having a lot of money and the desire to sign people doesn't equal getting the player or even equal cup (examples are players staying with one team through good times and bad and also the New York Rangers free-spending..)
Also: the player has some say and some players would have to be traded, thus the other teams have some say too. No matter how many first round draft picks you promise atlanta, I doubt you could pry Heatley and Kovalchuk away from them...

Buffaloed 09-25-2003 02:35 PM

I don't think the NHL Board of Governors would approve an ownership bid by Abramovitch. They've had more than their share of owners who have turned out to be criminals after they bought teams who brought shame and embarrassment to the NHL. Would they even consider a guy who has so many allegations of involvement in organized crime that's out in the open media? Wouldn't the current owners consider him a threat? The CBC would have a field day doing a documentary on this guy.

Chevy Cheveldae 09-25-2003 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forbesy
I don't get what you're saying
the first roster was just an example of russian depth in the league
this one is just like an all-star roster, how will that accurately represent this team?

firstly: just having a lot of money and the desire to sign people doesn't equal getting the player or even equal cup (examples are players staying with one team through good times and bad and also the New York Rangers free-spending..)
Also: the player has some say and some players would have to be traded, thus the other teams have some say too. No matter how many first round draft picks you promise atlanta, I doubt you could pry Heatley and Kovalchuk away from them...

i agree with u, maybe i've been watching football too much, where u can just buy a player just as u get the right price, that's not the thing in hockey....my bad

maximil 09-25-2003 02:43 PM

I say if he owned the team it's his call. I would applaud him for his audacity. I don't think we will see this anytime soon though.

Freudian 09-25-2003 06:10 PM

I don't think this will ever happen. Building a team in the NHL takes a long time. And judging by his actions as Chelsea owner he wants quick results.

Darth Vitale 09-25-2003 08:24 PM

Hope it doesn't happen. BS way to run a team if it did...

regarding this quoted D pairings
Quote:

Gonchar-Mironov
Kasparaitis-Zubov
Markov-Vishnevsky
Are you on drugs or something? Mironov?! He's not even as good as the four guys listed below him. Boris is average at best. Inconsistent for sure... how bout we replace him with Tverdovsky. He's Russian, right?

Boris can be the #7 guy on that list....

;)