HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Russian NHL team? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=14224)

Habber 09-25-2003 08:09 AM

Russian NHL team?
 
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=55094

Story about a Russian billionare wanting to buy the Canucks and turn them into an all-russian team. Seems crazy to me unless he's planning to move the team to Russia. Who is going to pay to watch a team of all Russians? If I'm a Canucks fan, I boycott the team if this ever went through.

(If it does happen though, they'll want some russians so I guess we could trade them Markov straight up for Burtuzzi.) :joker:

Corey 09-25-2003 08:25 AM

The Detroit fans were very happy with their Russian players when they won the Cup. I think it would be different in Montréal.

BruinsGirl 09-25-2003 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=55094

Story about a Russian billionare wanting to buy the Canucks and turn them into an all-russian team. Seems crazy to me unless he's planning to move the team to Russia. Who is going to pay to watch a team of all Russians? If I'm a Canucks fan, I boycott the team if this ever went through.

(If it does happen though, they'll want some russians so I guess we could trade them Markov straight up for Burtuzzi.) :joker:

You are crazy!!!

Team full of Russians? This guy already bought English Premiear league team Chelsea and doesn't have any plans to fill it with the Russians.

He also bought one of RSL clubs.

Guy is unbelievable rich and might be the best thing that'll happen to the Canucks(if this happens).

Cosanostra 09-25-2003 08:49 AM

This guy's net worth is 18 billion. Maybe someone should tell him the Expos are for sale. We already have an All-Latino team, I wonder if that would do???

Habber 09-25-2003 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
You are crazy!!!

Team full of Russians? This guy already bought English Premiear league team Chelsea and doesn't have any plans to feel it with the Russians.

He also bought one of RSL clubs.

Guy is unbelievable rich and might be the best thing that'll happen to the Canucks(if this happens).

Apparenetly you didn't read the story. A couple of quotes:

"Russian-born NHL players spending the summer in their homeland heard rumours of a possible purchase by Abramovich of an NHL team that would be stocked entirely with Russian players."

``It wouldn't hurt to have our own, wholly Russian team in the National Hockey League,'' says Fetisov.

Peter Griffin 09-25-2003 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Team full of Russians? This guy already bought English Premiear league team Chelsea and doesn't have any plans to feel it with the Russians.

There are rules in that league which only allow a certain ammount of non-british players per team.

Quote:

He also bought one of RSL clubs.
Avangard Omsk to be exact, who are loaded with Russian players.

Quote:

Guy is unbelievable rich and might be the best thing that'll happen to the Canucks(if this happens).
If he fills the team with Russian players it would be worst thing.

BruinsGirl 09-25-2003 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
There are rules in that league which only allow a certain ammount of non-british players per team.



Avangard Omsk to be exact, who are loaded with Russian players.



If he fills the team with Russian players it would be worst thing.


Of course Pmsk is loaded with Russian players...When you have arenas that fit at most 10,000 people and at most they can pay $20 per game
who do you expect to see there? 5,000,000 players?

Peter Griffin 09-25-2003 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Of course Pmsk is loaded with Russian players...When you have arenas that fit at most 10,000 people and at most they can pay $20 per game
who do you expect to see there? 5,000,000 players?

I fail to see your point... :dunno: What or who are you arguing against?

BruinsGirl 09-25-2003 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I fail to see your point... :dunno: What or who are you arguing against?


All I am saying is that it's really not a surprise that Abramovich's team in Omsk is filled with Russians...It's only natural.

OTOH to be competetive in the NHL Roman will keep NHL caliber roster..I doubt it very much that he would risk to put all Russian-team(I assume they will be from Russia not Russians who is already playing here )

On the other hand this article looks like nothing but a rumor.

danboulie 09-25-2003 01:11 PM

I really hope that doens't Happen.
They have some amazing players who aren't russian (Bertuzzi for example) and to trade them away would be ridiculous.

Peter Griffin 09-25-2003 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
OTOH to be competetive in the NHL Roman will keep NHL caliber roster..I doubt it very much that he would risk to put all Russian-team(I assume they will be from Russia not Russians who is already playing here )

But if he wanted to, he could. Supposedly he's a pretty big hockey fan and being Russian, his dream is probably to see a team comprised of Russian players win the cup. And if he were to make an all-Russian team, it would be filled with NHL stars, not guys from european leagues.

Quote:

On the other hand this article looks like nothing but a rumor.
Probably.

tinyzombies 09-25-2003 03:56 PM

It would be awesome for the NHL for this to happen. I hope it does!

Remember when the Nordiques tried to have an all-French team tho? That didn't work out so good. You still have to take the best player.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.