HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Greatest Leaf of All Time ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=142281)

Leaf Lander 05-07-2005 12:37 PM

Greatest Leaf of All Time ?

Syl Aps

Turk Broada

Johnny Bower

Darryl Sittler

Tim Horton

Carl Brewer

Mats Sundin

Borge Salming

Dave Keon

George Armstong

Tedder Kennedy

Charlie Conacher

Rick Vaive

Wendle Clark

Doug Gilmour

Wetcoaster 05-07-2005 01:20 PM

Syl Apps by a nose over Charlie Conacher

Apps:
Quote:

He is the only member of all three Hockey Halls of Fame, the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame and the Canadian Amateur Athletics Hall of Fame, and in 1993 his number was honoured at Maple Leaf Gardens, one of only six so designated in franchise history.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...io&list=ByName

Conacher:
Quote:

With his linemates' help, Conacher became the best right wing in the game over the next half-decade. He was a daring and explosive scorer who used his size 6'1" and 200 pounds in his heyday - to his advantage. He could beat goalies equally well with his booming shot or with a deft move from close range. Once he got moving, he was famous for bowling over anyone between him and the net - and then often the net itself as he crossed the goal line just a few seconds after the puck.

Five times between 1930 and 1936, Conacher either led or tied for the league lead in goal-scoring. He was a Second Team All-Star in his second and third years in the league and a First Team selection for three consecutive seasons beginning in 1933-34. He also helped the Leafs win the Stanley Cup in 1932.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...io&list=ByName

TML 05-07-2005 04:50 PM

We've had too many of these polls lately.

Leaf Lander 05-07-2005 10:49 PM

too hard for all of yah young ones notto pick your swedes sundin or salming :D

Augustus 05-08-2005 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TML
We've had too many of these polls lately.

I quite agree.

But they should do no harm and reflect our desperation for anything remotely connected to nhl hockey.

Trivial, sure. Redundant, yes.

But no harm no foul. :dunno:

Volcanologist 05-08-2005 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Lander

Your Canadian bias is idiotic.

Patty Lee 05-08-2005 08:24 AM

Quote:

Nationality has nothing to do with a person's ability to play hockey. The fact that Brewer and Horton were born in Canada had nothing to do with the fact they were great hockey players beyond the fact they were exposed to the game. Was Grant Fuhr a lesser goalie because he was African American? You may want to keep the bigot comments in your head instead of on these boards.

Leaf Lander 05-08-2005 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Around in 67
Nationality has nothing to do with a person's ability to play hockey. The fact that Brewer and Horton were born in Canada had nothing to do with the fact they were great hockey players beyond the fact they were exposed to the game. Was Grant Fuhr a lesser goalie because he was African American? You may want to keep the bigot comments in your head instead of on these boards.

hey now thats a lilttle harsh my opinion is in the minority; however, I don't
think im wrong.

Mocking your love of the swedes doesnt make me a bigot im a big fan of mats salming was at the end of his career when i was a kid but i seen him play from 1980 on every saturday night on tv.

Horton would be the scot stevens of his time.

Salming would be the Gonchar of his day

Mess 05-08-2005 11:14 AM

Quote:

There isn't a single thing similar style wise between Salming and Gonchar.

Leaf Lander 05-08-2005 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
There isn't a single thing similar style wise between Salming and Gonchar.

apples and oranges

Mess 05-08-2005 11:39 AM

Quote:

apples and oranges

That's better ..

Perhaps still too close .. maybe apples and airplanes in comparison is better style wise.

Leaf Lander 05-08-2005 11:40 AM

Quote:

That's better ..

Perhaps still too close .. maybe apples and airplanes in comparison is better style wise.

whatever works

im all for apeasing the masses if you are :D

Mess 05-08-2005 12:23 PM

Quote:

whatever works

im all for apeasing the masses if you are :D

To be fair to you .. I can't think of a modern day player who's style is similar to what Borje brought to the game.

Salming was absolutely fearless on the ice .. He would slide face first to block a shot in his own zone, and was great defensively and would log 35+ minutes a game easily in all situations.

He would QB the PP and play nearly the full PK often taking the puck and going for a skate to play keep away as the time would run down.

He was a fluent skater that glided on the ice and could change direction on a dime.

Also offensively gifted in his playmaking ability more so as a playmaker then true goal scorer.

He wouldn't back down from no one, and even when the leagues toughest team Philly and their Broadsteet Bullies tactics could not take him off his game via insults " Chicken Swede" or intimidation. They left the game saying they underestimated his character.

The NHL has seen lots of players with styles similar to Tim Horton, and I give him his dues as surprisingly he was built the same as Ian White is only 5'10" 180 lbs.. He made a lot out of that

The NHL has seen very few players that resemble Salming past or present .. he was truly unique in his on ice abilities. All this playing under the shadow of Owner Harold Ballard who despised Euro players, well maybe all except one who wore #21 for his own Toronto Maple Leafs .. Same owner who commented on fellow Swede and Borje's team-mate Inge Hammerstrom "He could go into the corner with a pocket full of eggs and come out and not break a single one"

King Salming stands alone IMO

Patty Lee 05-08-2005 06:56 PM

Quote:

hey now thats a lilttle harsh my opinion is in the minority; however, I don't
think im wrong.

Mocking your love of the swedes doesnt make me a bigot im a big fan of mats salming was at the end of his career when i was a kid but i seen him play from 1980 on every saturday night on tv.

Horton would be the scot stevens of his time.

not harsh at all when one of the criteria for determining who the better player is where they are from. What would you call that?

For the record, I don't have a love or hate for Swedes, or any other nationality, in determining if someone is a good hockey player or not. I base it on their ability to play hockey, funny as that sounds.

Not sure how you can think Salming would be like Gonchar if he were playing today. Usually your comments have some thought to them, but that sounds like a frankie comment. You've got more hockey knowledge that so I'm not sure the reason for it. :dunno:

Leaf Lander 05-08-2005 11:37 PM

Quote:

not harsh at all when one of the criteria for determining who the better player is where they are from. What would you call that?

For the record, I don't have a love or hate for Swedes, or any other nationality, in determining if someone is a good hockey player or not. I base it on their ability to play hockey, funny as that sounds.

Not sure how you can think Salming would be like Gonchar if he were playing today. Usually your comments have some thought to them, but that sounds like a frankie comment. You've got more hockey knowledge that so I'm not sure the reason for it. :dunno:

hmmm how about putting thought into a post b4 calling me a bigot
all because im pro canadian greats!

timlap 05-09-2005 12:11 AM

I will go with my Dad's choice. He has watched the Leafs since 1939. He says Sittler, although that came after a little reflection. At first he said Apps.

I went with his choice because I found it very difficult to choose, In my mind, Sittler, Apps, Salming, Gilmour (huge impact in a short time), and yes even Sundin have legitimate claims.

And I haven't even begun to think about goalies (Jiri Crha?).

Mess 05-09-2005 01:03 AM

Quote:

In fact Ian Turnbull ..Salming defense partner is a much closer match to Gonchar ..

LeafErikson* 05-09-2005 01:21 AM

Quote:

To be fair to you .. I can't think of a modern day player who's style is similar to what Borje brought to the game.

Salming was absolutely fearless on the ice .. He would slide face first to block a shot in his own zone, and was great defensively and would log 35+ minutes a game easily in all situations.

He would QB the PP and play nearly the full PK often taking the puck and going for a skate to play keep away as the time would run down.

He was a fluent skater that glided on the ice and could change direction on a dime.

Also offensively gifted in his playmaking ability more so as a playmaker then true goal scorer.

He wouldn't back down from no one, and even when the leagues toughest team Philly and their Broadsteet Bullies tactics could not take him off his game via insults " Chicken Swede" or intimidation. They left the game saying they underestimated his character.

The NHL has seen lots of players with styles similar to Tim Horton, and I give him his dues as surprisingly he was built the same as Ian White is only 5'10" 180 lbs.. He made a lot out of that

The NHL has seen very few players that resemble Salming past or present .. he was truly unique in his on ice abilities. All this playing under the shadow of Owner Harold Ballard who despised Euro players, well maybe all except one who wore #21 for his own Toronto Maple Leafs .. Same owner who commented on fellow Swede and Borje's team-mate Inge Hammerstrom "He could go into the corner with a pocket full of eggs and come out and not break a single one"

King Salming stands alone IMO

If we're talking fearless, maybe we can compare him to Jason Smith. One thing I never understood was the trade that sent him to Edmonton, just because quinn didn't like his skating style. I know it was more than his style, before someone jumps on me for that one, lol.

Patty Lee 05-09-2005 07:09 AM

Quote:

hmmm how about putting thought into a post b4 calling me a bigot
all because im pro canadian greats!

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to call you a bigot. You are just a guy who thinks a players nationality should be used as a criteria for determining who was a better player.

Its great you're pro canadian. So am I.

Wetcoaster 05-09-2005 12:52 PM

Players missing from those provided in the poll include Red Kelly and the Big M - Frank Mahovolich.

They clock in on the 1998 THN Top 100 NHL players at #22 and #26 respectively - well ahead of any other Leafs player. Syl Apps is #33 and Charlie Conacher is #36. Other Leafs on the list include:

13 Jacques Plante
31 Dickie Moore
43 Tim Horton
48 Max Bentley
52 King Clancy
55 Harvey "Busher" Jackson
57 Ted Kennedy
58 Andy Bathgate
59 Pierre Pilote
60 Turk Broda
63 Bernie Parent
69 Dave Keon
70 Grant Fuhr
71 Brian Leetch
74 Borje Salming
83 Cecil "Babe" Dye
87 Johnny Bower
89 Mike Gartner
90 Norm Ullman
91 Sweeney Schriner
92 Joe Primeau
93 Darryl Sittler
96 Babe Pratt

Here is a list of Leafs in the HHOF:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...to+Maple+Leafs

ULF_55 05-09-2005 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
13 Jacques Plante
31 Dickie Moore
43 Tim Horton
48 Max Bentley
52 King Clancy
55 Harvey "Busher" Jackson
57 Ted Kennedy
58 Andy Bathgate
59 Pierre Pilote
60 Turk Broda
63 Bernie Parent
69 Dave Keon
70 Grant Fuhr
71 Brian Leetch
74 Borje Salming
83 Cecil "Babe" Dye
87 Johnny Bower
89 Mike Gartner
90 Norm Ullman
91 Sweeney Schriner
92 Joe Primeau
93 Darryl Sittler
96 Babe Pratt

Here is a list of Leafs in the HHOF:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...to+Maple+Leafs

Of course some of these players made their mark on teams other than the Leafs, Ullman, Gartner, Plante, Fuhr, Parent amongst them.

Volcanologist 05-09-2005 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55
Of course some of these players made their mark on teams other than the Leafs, Ullman, Gartner, Plante, Fuhr, Parent amongst them.

I thought Dickie Moore was more of a hab great, wasn't he? :dunno:

ULF_55 05-09-2005 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I thought Dickie Moore was more of a hab great, wasn't he? :dunno:

I always mixed up Dick Duff and Dickie Moore, but I think I put both of them through the spokes of my bike.

Great sound when you're a kid.

Volcanologist 05-09-2005 02:16 PM

Ya, I looked it up and Moore only played 38 games as a Leaf.

Leaf Lander 05-10-2005 03:48 AM

Quote:

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to call you a bigot. You are just a guy who thinks a players nationality should be used as a criteria for determining who was a better player.

Its great you're pro canadian. So am I.

i just noticed a trend so descided to jolt you all with a different position

Horton was thebetter player thats all yhat matters :D

its a message board no harm no foul:)