HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Bruins' Luck (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1422919)

TonsofPuppies* 05-06-2013 11:01 PM

The Bruins' Luck

This series has been very frustrating for me to watch at times, particularly tonight's loss. The main reason for this has been Boston's ridiculous luck in this series. Allow me to give examples in each game:

Game 1:

After a fairly even 1st period, in which both teams carried the play at times, resulting in a 1-1 score in the final minute, James van Riemsdyk roars in and after making a nice move to get past the Bruins' defence, he rips a shot off the crossbar. No less than 15 seconds later, The Bruins move down the ice and score on a double deflection to take a 2-1 lead. This was a lead that they would not relinquish. Having said that, the Bruins were dominate in the final two periods and deserved this win. It thought be noted though, we also hit 2 goalposts in this game.

Game 2:

While we won this game, it was a war, a game I think we should have won by a higher spread if not for the Bruins getting every single bounce imaginable. We hit the goalposts/crossbar at least 3 times, not to mention that ridiculous scramble where the puck somehow managed to stay out. On top of that, both of Boston's goals were lucky. The first one, a rebound off of Riemer hits Lucic in the skate and goes in. The second one, a shot from the point that hits Bozak's glove and deflects into the net.

Game 3:

Where oh where to start with this one. While our giveaways that resulted in Bruins goals were no one's fault but our own, we had our share of bad luck in this one too. The 2 goalposts are the first thing that come to mind, but the thing that really irritated me about this game, was that I thought we played well offensively. We had so many chances to score that hopped over our sticks, missed the net, did everything but go in. And the Bruins didn't have all that many shifts where they sustained a high amount of offensive zone pressure, just every single chance they got, the buried it. Very frustrating. The Leafs could be up 2-1 instead of down 2-1 in this series if they had gotten half the bounces Boston has. If you reversed the roles, and gave Boston zero bounces and us all the bounces, we could be up 3-0. Again, very very very frustrating.

Now, before any Bruins fans come in here and whine about me taking anything away from their team, I'm not. The Bruins are a very solid team, a cup contending team. They have a wealth of depth in both their forwards and on the blueline, and an elite goaltender in net. They've got a coach who brought them to a championship less than 2 years ago and that core is largely still in place. Having said all of that, the Leafs can beat Boston in this series, but if Boston continues to get every single bounce and bit of puck luck, the Leafs will be out in 5.

EDIT:

Game 4:

Overtime, Frattin hits the post, Krejci scores a weak one on Reimer. Leafs carried the play ALL overtime. Nothing else needs to be said.

ITM 05-06-2013 11:07 PM

In championship matters, as the saying goes, gotta be lucky to be good, good to be lucky...

Didact 05-06-2013 11:09 PM

Leafs have no one but themselves to blame. They make their own luck, we cause our own demise.

BayStBullies 05-06-2013 11:10 PM

They benefit from having traffic in front of the Leafs net.

You make your own luck in hockey. The Leafs need to want it more and get into the middle section of the offensive zone. The Bruins will be more than happy to leave you along the outside with no traffic in front of their net.

Even Lupul and Grabo struggled to get into the middle; which they have shown they were capable of doing in the past (granted, neither will stay there). JVR at least tried; but it was not enough pressure.

I'm not sure why Frattin never finds himself in this area; or Kulemin. Two guys who have the balance of a tree.

They also have to cut out the easy giveaways. You're just asking for trouble.

The problems are fairly simple; but unless they look to improve themselves; it will not be consistently addressed. I expect them to show up next game; similar to game 2. What happens for Game 5? Do we see another repeat of tonight?

Sometimes you have to stop taking it "game by game" and remember that is is in fact a series. Stop "getting over a loss and moving along"; learn from your damn mistakes. If you have to forget a game to progress; you have a mentally weak group. This starts and ends with the Captain.

Schenn 05-06-2013 11:13 PM

You have to be good to be lucky. Plain and simple.

7even 05-06-2013 11:15 PM

Don't they give an award to the team that gets the most bounces?

Starts with an 's,' I think :sarcasm:

TonsofPuppies* 05-06-2013 11:17 PM

Perhaps the Leafs should all shove horseshoes up their arses like the Bruins have obviously done before each game. :sarcasm:

Stephen 05-06-2013 11:38 PM

I've noticed this tendency in the Bruins ever since the 2011 run when they beat Montreal, Tampa Bay and Vancouver in those tight seven game playoff series that they don't flat out dominate you very often by any stretch of the imagination, and to some degree they do have a bit of luck, but they do play a solid game that puts them in the situation to exploit. They're definitely beatable, and it will be up to the Leafs to continue that third period level of play in Game Four.

TMLife 05-06-2013 11:46 PM

We have to play better, that is all.

Penalty Kill Icing* 05-07-2013 12:02 AM

No luck excuses. Bruins were better in 2 games and they won those 2.

Tie Domi Esquire 05-07-2013 12:25 AM

Game 3 was frustrating but I still think the Bruins were the better team. They also consistently go to the right areas and make smart plays which contributes to their "luck".

HellasLEAF 05-07-2013 12:27 AM

We've given the puck away at times but they been very lucky at key moments.

AvroArrow 05-07-2013 12:59 AM

The Bruins luck is extremely frustrating to me too, but it's not just luck. Were giving them those chances. The post shots are just misses on our part. Beat the goalie but bad accuracy on a shot. It's no different than shooting wide on an open net. Beat the goalie, but still inaccurate. But the bruins luck on offense is directly related to our play. We give them chances and opportunities and they can convert. They have gotten lucky bounces here and there, but their "luck" is a direct result of our mistakes. Limit turnovers, their luck will decrease.

Luck usually travels with experienced and hardworking teams. That's whats happening in this series.

pooleboy 05-07-2013 01:44 AM

Gotta be lucky to be good, and good to be lucky

Bernier the Boats 05-07-2013 01:48 AM

There's a difference between "luck" and Mark Fraser and Ryan O'Byrne making bad plays.

tooncesmeow 05-07-2013 05:57 AM

I wouldn't say they've been lucky. They've won their games taking advantage of Leaf turnovers (and blown blue-and-white tires) and rarely looked dominant at all. Its our fault we're losing this series. Less turnovers = more wins. Its Toronto that has had the dominant stretches, especially in the 3rd.

SprDaVE 05-07-2013 06:28 AM

We gave them luck by giving them 2 goals almost gift wrapped.

Leafs haven't had those chances too many times this series so far. They've had about 8 or 9 posts though.

Either way, you have to be good to be lucky in this league.

Daisy Jane 05-07-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooncesmeow (Post 65492473)
I wouldn't say they've been lucky. They've won their games taking advantage of Leaf turnovers (and blown blue-and-white tires) and rarely looked dominant at all. Its our fault we're losing this series. Less turnovers = more wins. Its Toronto that has had the dominant stretches, especially in the 3rd.

I think tonsofpuppies is talking about the fact that generally RIGHT BEFORE that we usually clobber a post.
(daisy, needs to stop posting so early and before work).... generally, they score after we've clobbered a post. and then yeah turnover city, but both losses, puck goes in, tied game or we lead, and it's totally different. maybe we still lose, but.. (shrug).

Drew311 05-07-2013 08:02 AM

Hitting a post isn't unlucky. It means that the shooter didn't shoot the puck with enough accuracy for it to go in the net.

Scoring a goal off of a turnover isn't lucky. The Bruins have capitalized off of multiple bonehead plays/giveaways by the Leafs.

Don't make excuses for why the Leafs are losing, they have basically handed over the series lead. Luck has little to nothing to do with the current outcome.

TonsofPuppies* 05-07-2013 08:34 AM

Don't know what teams you guys have been watching, but the Bruins haven't looked like a dominate team in this series except for the 2nd and 3rd periods of game 1. So only in 2 periods of the 9 in the series thus far have we been badly outplayed. 1st period of game one was a wash, with both teams controlling the play for about 10 minutes a piece. We played better than they did in game 2. I also think that we played better than they did last night. Yes, the turnovers were absolutely brutal, but the Bruins hardly controlled the play last night. We had more sustained pressure in their zone and generated far more chances than they did. Difference last night was that they capitalized on their chances, where we didn't. Rask was brilliant and Reimer was very average.

Like I said, this isn't to excuse the Leafs turnovers. Their sloppy play is costing them the series. Totally agreed. However, with any little bit of puck luck that the Bruins are getting night in and night out, we could easily be up 2-1 in this series instead of being down 2-1. Also, I don't agree with the notion that hitting the posts/crossbar is not unlucky. These are NHL players and they obviously can shoot with good accuracy, however, the difference between ringing a puck of the post and scoring can be as little as an inch. The Leafs shooters have been beating Rask cleanly, but again, absolutely no luck. We've hit 8 posts/crossbars in 3 games. We score on half of them, we're even with goals in the series at 11 a piece.

The annoying thing is that Boston is a better team than us at this point, I think that we can all agree to that. They certainly don't need luck on their side in order to win the series, but if they continue to get it anyway, we don't have a chance. The Leafs are likely the ones that are going to have to get some luck the rest of the way if they hope to win (and yes, obviously far less turnovers).

yakfish 05-07-2013 08:39 AM

This isn't a game of luck. Its a game of skill and inches. So far the Bruins have been the better team. As much as I hate it that is the way it has turned out so far. It has nothing to do with luck. But there is still a lot of hockey to be played so there's no reason to give up on them.

TonsofPuppies* 05-07-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakfish (Post 65495377)
This isn't a game of luck. Its a game of skill and inches. So far the Bruins have been the better team. As much as I hate it that is the way it has turned out so far. It has nothing to do with luck. But there is still a lot of hockey to be played so there's no reason to give up on them.

Ask any hockey analyst, or I guess an analyst in any sport for that matter. When a team wins a championship, everything generally has to go right at the right time for them to be successful (including getting lucky at times). In the case of hockey, your forwards have to be scoring, your defence has to be extremely sharp and you need elite goaltending. But a lot of the time, that's not enough. You also need a bit of luck on your side to pull it off (whether that be your opposition hitting a post, your team getting a goal off of someones skate, the refs missing a call or making a bad one, or whatever the case may be).

I Am The Stig 05-07-2013 08:53 AM

I wouldn't say the Bruins have luck, they're just the better team right now, capitalizing on mistakes by us and dictating the pace of the game.

TonsofPuppies* 05-07-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Am The Stig (Post 65495965)
I wouldn't say the Bruins have luck, they're just the better team right now, capitalizing on mistakes by us and dictating the pace of the game.

I agree with your first point (capitalizing on our mistakes), totally disagree with the second one. Bruins outplayed us in game 1, we outplayed them in game 2 and we outplayed them in game 3 (minus the turnovers). I must be watching a different team than everyone else here. :laugh: Anyone who seriously believes the Bruins 'dictated the pace of the game' last night needs to get their eyes checked. They scored every time we made a mistake but hardly had any sustained offensive zone pressure, whilst we had lots of it.

Gobias Industries 05-07-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies (Post 65496043)
I agree with your first point (capitalizing on our mistakes), totally disagree with the second one. Bruins outplayed us in game 1, we outplayed them in game 2 and we outplayed them in game 3 (minus the turnovers). I must be watching a different team than everyone else here. :laugh: Anyone who seriously believes the Bruins 'dictated the pace of the game' last night needs to get their eyes checked. They scored every time we made a mistake but hardly had any sustained offensive zone pressure, whilst we had lots of it.

You can't "minus the turnovers".