HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Speculation: MacKinnon vs Drouin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1423243)

Android 16 05-07-2013 12:35 PM

MacKinnon vs Drouin

Assuming both players live up to their hype in the future, which player do you think would create a more effective duo when paired with Jonathan Huberdeau? And why? Also, by "more effective", I mean more goals, assists, scoring chances, odd-man rushes, offensive zone pressure, back-checking, chemistry; which duo that would be harder to handle with both players in their prime.

A. MacKinnon / Huberdeau
B. Drouin / Huberdeau

Discuss..

:)

PanthersRule96 05-07-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts (Post 65507321)
Assuming both players live up to their hype in the future, which player do you think would create a more effective duo when paired with Jonathan Huberdeau? And why? Also, by "more effective", I mean more goals, assists, scoring chances, odd-man rushes, offensive zone pressure, back-checking, chemistry; which duo that would be harder to handle with both players in their prime.

A. MacKinnon / Huberdeau
B. Drouin / Huberdeau

Discuss..

:)

The answer to this, without question, is Huberdeau with MacKinnon. Drouin can score, but he's more of a playmaker who needs to have the puck on his stick until the last second when he dishes it off. Huberdeau is not a pure sniper, such as a Stamkos, rather more of a playmaker as well. He certainly can score, but is as good at setting others up (or better) as anything else. MacKinnon projects as more of a shooter than Drouin, so for that reason alone, he would pair better with Huby. They could all pair up with each other to do well, but ideally, you need a great shot to pair with Huby, which is MacKinnon. You could have both Huby and Drouin on a winning team, especially on separate lines, or on the same powerplay. Juniors is a lot different, which is where the argument against this will come from. People with cite how Huby and Drouin also had great chemistry etc. but at the NHL level, they won't be toying with defenders and goalies like they did in the super series. When there's only a split second to get the shot off, I want it going from Huby to MacKinnon or vice versa, rather than from Drouin to Huby, or Huby to Drouin.

gudzilla 05-07-2013 01:22 PM

mack/huberdeau due to the easier task of finding a good winger, aswell as we have a few EVENTUAL high-end wingers in grimaldi and howden

Panthers607 05-07-2013 01:50 PM

Dale would be outta his mind if not picking Mac.

Marchessault Good 05-07-2013 01:53 PM

There is no doubt, both combos would be AWESOME. But the right choice is MacK!

AwesomePanthers 05-07-2013 02:05 PM

There is no doubt that MacKinnon completes Huberdeau, more than Drouin. Drouin is very similar to Huberdeau, while MacKinnon is a goalscorer. And the way todays NHL are going, speed is so important. And the speed of MacKinnon is unbelievable, some of the best I've seen.

Howboutthempanthers 05-07-2013 02:44 PM

Drouin won't have the time and space to pull off those dangles in the NHL. And he doesn't have a power game or blazing speed to fall back on. MacK all the way. Drouin is a good player and will put up a lot of points with Stamkos, but that doesn't mean the Panthers would have been better off choosing him over MacKinnon.

SoupyFIN 05-07-2013 02:51 PM

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1416177

Chino Oscar 05-07-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dej (Post 65510237)
mack/huberdeau due to the easier task of finding a good winger, aswell as we have a few EVENTUAL high-end wingers in grimaldi and howden

Don't think Howden is looked as a future "high-end" winger and from what we have seen so far, that is accurate. Third, maybe second line at best.

Grimaldi maybe, if his 5'-6" frame holds up and he can somehow be effective at the NHL level. One would hope he can do it like Theo Fleury did.

gudzilla 05-07-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chino Oscar (Post 65516093)
Don't think Howden is looked as a future "high-end" winger and from what we have seen so far, that is accurate. Third, maybe second line at best.

Grimaldi maybe, if his 5'-6" frame holds up and he can somehow be effective at the NHL level. One would hope he can do it like Theo Fleury did.

sure, but thats also why i said EVENTUAL

howden might take longer to develop, but he can skate and create stuff to become a top6 forward. howden have played with horrible players all year and he got close multiple times. think its as much confidence as anything, i like him. he+mack+huberdeau would be a fast&skilled line

pb1300 05-07-2013 05:07 PM

Mac and Huby for me. I know the whole top line center thing has been played to death by me, but I will reiterate it again...the only way this team is going to find a top line center is via the draft. An elite top line center is probably the hardest position to fill, evident by us not having one in our 20 year history. Mac has all the tools to become an elite centerman, and his finishing ability is exactly what a playmaker like Huberdeau needs. You pair those two with a grittier, meat and potatoes guy (as Lindsay says), and you have the making of a very successful top line. Even if Huby was more of a sniper, I would still go with Mac, because again, those top line centers are a ****** to find. Just the thought of having two 70+ point players on the same team, let alone the same line, gives me goose bumps.

Howden would be a good choice to play with those two. Not only would his speed, paired with MacKinnon's, be such a tough matchup, but both he and Mac seem to be good two way players. I thought Howden's forechecking was very good this year, and with that much speed and awareness on that line, you can take more chances offensively, without giving up much defensively. But for the time being, if we were to draft Mac, I would love to see Bergy paired with them, because I see him as the perfect compliment to those two, mainly because he is an agitator, and drives the nets relentlessly.

PanthersHockey1 05-07-2013 05:12 PM

Mackinnon. But i'll tell you what when it comes time to fantasy draft next year and drouin is wearing a tampa sweater, you better believe I'll be looking for him in the draft. Crazy to think that offense is adding another gifted weapon.

Dread Clawz 05-07-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 (Post 65521891)
Mackinnon. But i'll tell you what when it comes time to fantasy draft next year and drouin is wearing a tampa sweater, you better believe I'll be looking for him in the draft. Crazy to think that offense is adding another gifted weapon.

I won't be scared of them until they have solid defense and goaltending. They had the 3rd best offense in the league and it didn't help them one bit.

PanthersHockey1 05-07-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 65522757)
I won't be scared of them until they have solid defense and goaltending. They had the 3rd best offense in the league and it didn't help them one bit.

I agree with you, but drouin paired with stamkos is a fantasy hockey dream. He will get a ton of points.

FlaPnthrsPunk 05-07-2013 07:25 PM

MacKinnon is the easy choice since we have a player similar to Drouin in Huberdeau. It's going to be absolutely sick seeing them play together for years to come. I hate that Drouin will likely going to Tampa because he should thrive there. It's exactly the kind of player that they need for the future on offense once Lecavalier and St. Louis retire.

coopdaloop123 05-07-2013 09:26 PM

Mackinnon by a landslide, him and Huberdeau as the Panthers' 1-2 punch for the next 10 years would be outstanding. Mack's scoring ability from the center position would help Huberdeau flourish more as a facilitator and the two would see a linked rise to stardom.

Android 16 05-07-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk (Post 65534411)
MacKinnon is the easy choice since we have a player similar to Drouin in Huberdeau. It's going to be absolutely sick seeing them play together for years to come. I hate that Drouin will likely going to Tampa because he should thrive there. It's exactly the kind of player that they need for the future on offense once Lecavalier and St. Louis retire.

It's not necesarilly a bad thing that they will likely draft Drouin and get better. The FLA / TB rivalry doesn't mean anything unless both teams are consistently good. Hopefully, Tallon's plan comes to fruition sooner than later and you know TB will always have a shot at the playoffs with a player like Stamkos on the roster for lot's of years. Maybe we can be the east coast version of LA and Anaheim.

Madhatter73 05-08-2013 12:21 AM

Florida would benefit most from MacKinnon and Tampa would definitely benefit more from Drouin.

Hubby is a phenomenal playmaker with a great shot and MacKinnon is the finisher this team desperately needs.

Drouin is a superb playmaker with a scoring touch. Him sharing a line with Stamkos makes a VERY nasty pairing for a LONG time.

Those two additions should tighten the new division up quite a bit.

Going to be fun to watch these kids grow...

p9ers 05-08-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers (Post 65515181)
Drouin won't have the time and space to pull off those dangles in the NHL. And he doesn't have a power game or blazing speed to fall back on.

So basically, the same things that were said about Huberdeau.

pb1300 05-08-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madhatter73 (Post 65580015)
Florida would benefit most from MacKinnon and Tampa would definitely benefit more from Drouin.

Hubby is a phenomenal playmaker with a great shot and MacKinnon is the finisher this team desperately needs.

Drouin is a superb playmaker with a scoring touch. Him sharing a line with Stamkos makes a VERY nasty pairing for a LONG time.

Those two additions should tighten the new division up quite a bit.

Going to be fun to watch these kids grow...

Being in this new division is definitely going to be a challenge early on, but once our top prospects get settled in, I feel we will be able to compete for one of those top three spots. Im just happy we arent in the other division, which I certainly think is the toughest of the two.

Howboutthempanthers 05-08-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p9ers (Post 65581595)

Ha. Well played sir. But I still Mac would be a better fit for the Panthers since we have no #1 center.

King Mapes 05-08-2013 05:31 AM

Leafs fan here but Mooseheads fan as well,

How good is Huberdeau in his own end? Makes a big difference as Mac is much better in that aspect. Drouin has more offensive skill and his hockey IQ is through the roof. Mac is still good offensively but can play at both ends. I think Drouin fits in more with Tampa, given he's a LW and Mack might fit in better in Florida

Laus723 05-08-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapes (Post 65590529)
Leafs fan here but Mooseheads fan as well,

How good is Huberdeau in his own end? Makes a big difference as Mac is much better in that aspect. Drouin has more offensive skill and his hockey IQ is through the roof. Mac is still good offensively but can play at both ends. I think Drouin fits in more with Tampa, given he's a LW and Mack might fit in better in Florida

Thanks. Think Mac will be our pick for all the reasons mentioned, plus our need for top center.

PanthersHockey1 05-08-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p9ers (Post 65581595)

I strongly believe that given the right linemates huderdeau can consistently be a 20 + 40 guy.

FlaPnthrsPunk 05-08-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts (Post 65570925)
It's not necesarilly a bad thing that they will likely draft Drouin and get better. The FLA / TB rivalry doesn't mean anything unless both teams are consistently good. Hopefully, Tallon's plan comes to fruition sooner than later and you know TB will always have a shot at the playoffs with a player like Stamkos on the roster for lot's of years. Maybe we can be the east coast version of LA and Anaheim.

I see and agree with what you're saying. Pretty much throughout both teams lifespans, both have been successful at different times, which is why besides in maybe the mid-late 90s, the rivalry hasn't spawned much. I just wish the rivalry would brew without the Lightning being successful since I can't stand them, but a playoff matchup between the two teams would be nuts I'm sure.