HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Free Agent Frenzy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NHL Draft:Oilers Canes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1423461)

oilersfan11 05-07-2013 06:10 PM

NHL Draft:Oilers Canes
 
What would it take for the Oilers to trade up, and acquire the 5th overall pick?

Dr Quincy 05-07-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilersfan11 (Post 65524991)
What would it take for the Oilers to trade up, and acquire the 5th overall pick?

It's not a matter of value, it's a matter of interest. So your question really can't be answered unless we knew who the Canes' rankings. If there was a guy they really liked, and they didn't think he'd be there at 7 I doubt they'd trade down without a total overpayment. If they had 2 or 3 guys rated fairly equally, or if they thought the guy they wanted might still be there at 7, they'd be more open to it.

But basically, as I keep saying in these "My team wants to trade up" threads: There are far more threads being made about teams wanting to trade up than trade down, so I'm thinking the interest in trading down just isn't there.

Roboturner913 05-07-2013 07:49 PM

Would pretty much have to involve Smid, assuming Schultz is off the table. I do believe the Canes would be happy at #7 with one of Monahan, Nichushkin or Lindholm available.


:canes

Smid + #7 overall

:edmonton

#5 overall + Jay Harrison.

JSC 05-07-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roboturner913 (Post 65537525)
Would pretty much have to involve Smid, assuming Schultz is off the table. I do believe the Canes would be happy at #7 with one of Monahan, Nichushkin or Lindholm available.


:canes

Smid + #7 overall

:edmonton

#5 overall + Jay Harrison.

Lol doubt the Oilers are going to give away Smid to move up 2 spots.

jumptheshark 05-07-2013 08:16 PM

if the oilers move up it will be into the top 3-- to move up 2 spots is not worth it

lakai17 05-07-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roboturner913 (Post 65537525)
Would pretty much have to involve Smid, assuming Schultz is off the table. I do believe the Canes would be happy at #7 with one of Monahan, Nichushkin or Lindholm available.


:canes

Smid + #7 overall

:edmonton

#5 overall + Jay Harrison.

Ryan Whitney or Nick Schultz maybe, not Ladislav Smid.

jumptheshark 05-07-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakai17 (Post 65540979)
Ryan Whitney or Nick Schultz maybe, not Ladislav Smid.

I do not think a soon to be UFA gets the oilers up two spots

Joey McMoss 05-07-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roboturner913 (Post 65537525)
Would pretty much have to involve Smid, assuming Schultz is off the table. I do believe the Canes would be happy at #7 with one of Monahan, Nichushkin or Lindholm available.


:canes

Smid + #7 overall

:edmonton

#5 overall + Jay Harrison.

You can't be serious..

Soli 05-07-2013 09:05 PM

Brief recent history of trading Top-10 picks...

- TOR traded 7th OV + 2nd and 3rd for 5th OV in 2008.
- NSH traded 9th OV + 2nd for 7th OV in 2008.
- SJS traded 13th OV + 2nd and 3rd for 9th OV in 2007.
- CAR traded 8th OV + 2nd for 4th OV in 2004.

Definitely takes two to tango. It has to be worth it for Carolina to make the deal. From what I gather from Caniacs, Rutherfords looking for immediate help to bolster the lineup for next season. So essentially, we'd need the make up the value of a 2nd round pick in roster personnel.

Based off this, I'd say 5th OV + Ales Hemsky/Nick Schultz + EDM 5th '13 is a respectable offer to get it done.

Roboturner913 05-07-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Moss (Post 65542527)
You can't be serious..

Carolina has no reason to make the deal otherwise. They're very happy staying at 5.

Djp 05-07-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roboturner913 (Post 65554393)
Carolina has no reason to make the deal otherwise. They're very happy staying at 5.


If Carolina has interest n one of the Dmen or a forward not in the top 8 they will make a deal to add something. It's too much PR flack if they felt player X was better than the others but many had X going at 11. So them picking him at 5 would be considered a reach.

Since this team wants to compete for something next season..if they can get a veteran who could help them all the more better.

Roboturner913 05-07-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djp (Post 65556373)
If Carolina has interest n one of the Dmen or a forward not in the top 8 they will make a deal to add something. It's too much PR flack if they felt player X was better than the others but many had X going at 11. So them picking him at 5 would be considered a reach.

Since this team wants to compete for something next season..if they can get a veteran who could help them all the more better.

The pick is either 5 or 7, where they would take either Monahan, Lindholm, or Nichushkin either way. I think they would be very happy with any of those guys. Just depends on who falls there. FWIW, I don't think it makes any sense for the Oilers to trade up unless they are going top 3.

I wouldn't be shocked if Carolina traded the pick away entirely if the right player with the right cap hit was offered, but teams aren't looking to give away talented players on sweetheart deals. Especially not this year when so many teams will be scrambling to get under the cap.

TylerSVT* 05-07-2013 09:29 PM

Its not the draft unless the Oilers have a top 5 pick.

Aceonfire 05-08-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soli (Post 65551893)
Brief recent history of trading Top-10 picks...

- TOR traded 7th OV + 2nd and 3rd for 5th OV in 2008.
- NSH traded 9th OV + 2nd for 7th OV in 2008.
- SJS traded 13th OV + 2nd and 3rd for 9th OV in 2007.
- CAR traded 8th OV + 2nd for 4th OV in 2004.

Definitely takes two to tango. It has to be worth it for Carolina to make the deal. From what I gather from Caniacs, Rutherfords looking for immediate help to bolster the lineup for next season. So essentially, we'd need the make up the value of a 2nd round pick in roster personnel.

Based off this, I'd say 5th OV + Ales Hemsky/Nick Schultz + EDM 5th '13 is a respectable offer to get it done.

I agree completely.

Carolina needs a LHD in a stay at home role. With Mcbain, Faulk etc.. always jumping into the rush.

Carolina is also very top heavy with Skinner, the Staals, Semin and Ruutu.

They can trade back for N.Schultz + a pick and draft Nurse who could be a franchise D in a few years.

Calgary is 100% on taking a center. So there is little risk for them to do this.

internetdotcom 05-08-2013 06:45 AM

There is a noted dropoff after the top 3 and the top 5, so to trade into the top 5 would require a large payment, regardless of where you are trading up from.

Remember how Oilers fans said this every year when they were picking first overall? Well, it applies when you are trying to trade up too, Oilers fans.

McDoused 05-08-2013 08:20 AM

If the canes want to draft Nurse or Nuchuskin I don't see why they wouldn't trade down 2 spots while picking up a second rounder or something. If they want Lindholm or Monahan, I don't see them moving.

It all comes down to who they like.

Petro Points 05-08-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 65540907)
if the oilers move up it will be into the top 3-- to move up 2 spots is not worth it

moving up spots guarantees them a C.. If CAR prefers Nurse over the C prospects they might consider moving down a couple spots.

N.Schultz or a 2nd rounder is what I would offer if I was EDM GM.

Lethargic 05-08-2013 09:27 AM

Carolina is not taking a D in the 1st unless its Seth Jones.

JR said he is looking for 1 or 2 Veteran Defenseman.

So our draft pick will be one of Barkov if he is there at 5, Monahan, Nichushkin, or Lindholm.

Petro Points 05-08-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misfit Semin (Post 65596859)
Carolina is not taking a D in the 1st unless its Seth Jones.

JR said he is looking for 1 or 2 Veteran Defenseman.

So our draft pick will be one of Barkov if he is there at 5, Monahan, Nichushkin, or Lindholm.

one of them will be available at 7 ;)
Nick Schultz is a vet Dman ..

my above proposal still makes sense

Lethargic 05-08-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petro Points (Post 65597077)
one of them will be available at 7 ;)
Nick Schultz is a vet Dman ..

my above proposal still makes sense

Just the Nurse thing.

I'm not opposed to Shultz +7th for 5th.

But I don't know who the Canes want. I just know JR is shy about taking D in the first round. I think Nichushkin is a stretch for him even. The only saving grace is Semin and Nichushkin have the same agent.

Boom Boom Anton 05-08-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petro Points (Post 65597077)
one of them will be available at 7 ;)
Nick Schultz is a vet Dman ..

my above proposal still makes sense

It makes sense only if you assume that the Canes value each of those 4 equally (which none of us know). If they really want either Barkov or Monahan but aren't as enamored with Nichushkin or Lindholm, then it doesn't make sense.

zeus3007* 05-08-2013 10:56 AM

Moving to 5 makes little sense. Barkov is almost certainly going to go 4th, and after that, the players are ranked pretty closely from 5 - 9. No need for either team to really consider this.

tarheelhockey 05-08-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus3007 (Post 65601531)
Moving to 5 makes little sense. Barkov is almost certainly going to go 4th, and after that, the players are ranked pretty closely from 5 - 9. No need for either team to really consider this.

Exactly. Both the Oilers and the Canes would be exposing themselves to an unnecessary level of risk that this blows up in their faces.

roboninja 05-08-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by internetdotcom (Post 65591383)
There is a noted dropoff after the top 3 and the top 5, so to trade into the top 5 would require a large payment, regardless of where you are trading up from.

Remember how Oilers fans said this every year when they were picking first overall? Well, it applies when you are trying to trade up too, Oilers fans.

If we were trying to acquire the #1 pick you would have a point, But we are not, so you don't.

BowDangles 05-08-2013 11:27 AM

Hmm I like the Nick Schultz and 7OV for 5OV but it is a risky move from Edmonton's side in respect to their blue line for next year.
If Edmonton can not trade for another D man or sign a couple come UFA time than they are royally screwed..

Smid-Petry (both not top two D man...yet..)
J.Schultz-???
Potter-???

The thing that worries me is the Oilers will get either Nich/Monahon/Lindholm at 7th anyway so is losing a veteran Dman worth the upgrade to choose from Lindholm/Monahon when Bobby Mac has Nich rated at #5 anyway??

I don't think any of these players have an immediate impact on next year so I can't see Edmonton doing it unless it was Nick Schultz+ for the 4th overall pick...

It would be sweet to pick in front of Calgary though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.