HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Player Discussion: Isles fans quote Sharks fans blaming Nabby for playoff failures (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1424605)

niccolo19 05-08-2013 02:29 PM

Isles fans quote Sharks fans blaming Nabby for playoff failures

This Islander fan did some research however. Sharks lack of scoring seem to be the main culprit. Can some of you try to look at this objectively and agree? I understand that he did give up a couple softies that demoralized the team here and there, but the stats speak for themselves.

p.s. He is playing his worst playoff hockey ever right now and we are still tied 2-2.

2001 playoffs. 4 games nabby lost sharks scored 1,1,2,3 goals.

2002 playoffs, the first round every game the sharks won nabby let in only 1 goal. there were two 2-1 win games, one 3-1, one 4-1. 2nd round, the 4 losses nabby got his teams scored 2, 1, 1, 0 goals respectively.

2004 playoffs first round, nabby gave up 0, 1, 1 ,1 in the 4 games the sharks won.
2nd round nabby gave up 6 goals in 6 game series win vs colorado.
conference finals nabby got a 1-0 shutout win and the 4 games the sharks lost his team scored 3, 0, 1 ,1 goals respectively.

2006 playoffs Toskala was hot during the regular season and beat out nabby for starting the playoffs. Sharks didnt play better for him though and they scored 12 goals in 6 games lost in the second round.

2007 playoffs. first round the four games the sharks won nabby let up 4, 1, 2, 2.
second round vs detroit, sharks win 2-1 game, 2-0 game. Lose 3-2, 3-2 4-1 and game seven they lose 2-0. Thats 9 goals in 6 games they scored and he still won 2 of those games!

2008 playoffs, first round he was awesome, second round he was awesome, sharks scored 11 goals in 6 games, they lost.

2009 president winning trophy sharks lose to ducks in 6 games. Shraks get shutout twice, score 3 goals in their 4 losses LOL

2010 playoffs round 1 besides one high scoring 6-5 sharks ot win, nabby lets up 6 goals during the next 5 games, sharks win. round 2 he let up 8 goals combined in the sharks 4 wins. conference finals chicago sweeps sharks 4 games to 0. 2-1, 3-2, 3-2, 4-2.

The Sharks forwards did not come to play. They were shutout twice in a game 7, which is pretty disgusting imho.

Rickety Cricket 05-08-2013 02:35 PM

Sweet.

Graveland 05-08-2013 02:38 PM

I like Nabby he was my first jersey, but now I hope you lose.

cholewhat 05-08-2013 02:38 PM

Overall, he was never brutal in the playoffs that I can recall. I think the biggest knocks were the softies (to go along with some brilliance), and that he never was able to take his game to another level in the postseason.

Officer1473 05-08-2013 02:41 PM

Obviously, given the above data, the Stanley cup is the Islander's to lose.

BillR10 05-08-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cholewhat (Post 65616531)
Overall, he was never brutal in the playoffs that I can recall. I think the biggest knocks were the softies (to go along with some brilliance), and that he never was able to take his game to another level in the postseason.

The game in Detroit where he played the puck to the wrong team for an empty net comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, I loved nabby as a shark, but the one softy here and there was costly especially playing in Ron Wilson's defensive system. No one can completely blame him as its a team effort but it didn't help.

ChompChomp 05-08-2013 02:48 PM

In 2001, Nabby didn't lose four games. Kipper started Games 4 and 5. Kipper won Gm 4, but lost Game 5 (in OT, ugh I still remember), so Nabby only lost 3 games that playoffs.

DominikPavelec 05-08-2013 02:50 PM

Nabby had some good years and some bad years. He of course let in the odd softie and it stung when it happened in the playoffs. Overall he was a good enough and sometimes brilliant playoff goalie, so us not winning the cup wasn't his fault entirely, it was a team thing.

ChompChomp 05-08-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niccolo19 (Post 65615935)
The Sharks forwards did not come to play. They were shutout twice in a game 7, which is pretty disgusting imho.

One Game 7 is the Teemu missing the open net (still ticks me off). What is the other? I don't recall another Sharks team getting shutout in a Game 7 where Nabby played.

Officer1473 05-08-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 65617225)
One Game 7 is the Teemu missing the open net (still ticks me off). What is the other? I don't recall another Sharks team getting shutout in a Game 7 where Nabby played.

Sharks only were shutout in one game 7 in history. Which is the one selanne messed up.

Sharks have been in 7 game 7's.

http://www.sharkspage.com/?page_id=116

Phu 05-08-2013 03:05 PM

I liked Nabby as a Shark but what we are currently getting from Niemi probably surpasses anything Nabby provided. Nabby made spectacular plays with his athleticism, Niemi does it with his battle and positioning.

I watched the last Isles game and after each Isles goal, Nabby let in a questionable goal almost immediately (granted, the Isles cannot defend the Pens very well). And all I could think was, "Man I don't miss that!"

I hope the Isles give the Pens hell and wreck several of their skill players. And lose. We would like the Murray pick to fully materialize. Then the Pens can **** off.

2ndGenIslander 05-08-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juantimer (Post 65618097)
I liked Nabby as a Shark but what we are currently getting from Niemi probably surpasses anything Nabby provided. Nabby made spectacular plays with his athleticism, Niemi does it with his battle and positioning.

I watched the last Isles game and after each Isles goal, Nabby let in a questionable goal almost immediately (granted, the Isles cannot defend the Pens very well). And all I could think was, "Man I don't miss that!"

I hope the Isles give the Pens hell and wreck several of their skill players. And lose. We would like the Murray pick to fully materialize. Then the Pens can **** off.

IMO Nabby isn't playing as well in the playoffs as he did most of the regular season. He was pretty lights out at some points during the year. Yes pittsburgh is one of the most offensively stacked teams in the league, and are going to be tough on any goaltender.

Also, is Murray a very dirty player? He was smashing Cizikas' head into the ice repeadedly last night, which we didn't appreciate very much at the coliseum.

Good luck to you guys moving forward this postseason, it looks like you don't need it very much right now however :yo:

Arrch 05-08-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander (Post 65618529)
Also, is Murray a very dirty player? He was smashing Cizikas' head into the ice repeadedly last night, which we didn't appreciate very much at the coliseum.

You sure that was Murray? I thought it was Morrow.

Hatrick Marleau 05-08-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

IMO Nabby isn't playing as well in the playoffs as he did most of the regular season. He was pretty lights out at some points during the year. Yes pittsburgh is one of the most offensively stacked teams in the league, and are going to be tough on any goaltender.

Good luck to you guys moving forward this postseason, it looks like you don't need it very much right now however :yo:

That doesn't sound like something Murray would do.

Gene Parmesan 05-08-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

That was Morrow. Not Murray. Nabby would play a great game and then let in a back breaking goal. Not to mention calling out his own dmen and cross checking them too. :laugh: he is a good goalie for the most part.

TheJuxtaposer 05-08-2013 03:28 PM

Nabby is a brutal goaltender at this point in his career. IMHO if the Islanders had an average goaltender they'd beat Pittsburgh.

Gene Parmesan 05-08-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 65619477)
Nabby is a brutal goaltender at this point in his career. IMHO if the Islanders had an average goaltender they'd beat Pittsburgh.

Luckily for the Isles...MAF is even worse.

2ndGenIslander 05-08-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrch (Post 65619109)
You sure that was Murray? I thought it was Morrow.

ah yes you were right, my mistake I was pretty drunk by that part in the game :cry:

Goaltending is definitely something that we need to focus on this offseason. The prospects haven't matured yet and we sure as **** won't be seeing DP in the NHL anytime soon :handclap:

Hatrick Marleau 05-08-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander (Post 65619783)
ah yes you were right, my mistake I was pretty drunk by that part in the game :cry:

Goaltending is definitely something that we need to focus on this offseason. The prospects haven't matured yet and we sure as **** won't be seeing DP in the NHL anytime soon :handclap:

You guys should go after Luuuuuongo.

TheJuxtaposer 05-08-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 65619835)

They really should. The Isles and Luongo are a match made in heaven. Lu will be cheap to acquire, Gillis is happen to move him out of the conference, the Isles are a young, up and coming contender, Lu is an elite goaltender.

pappaf2 05-08-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 65619835)

That would be a great pickup for the isles. Nabby seemed to play well for them in the reg season but he is starting to get on in age a bit. Plus Lou's contract is doable form them.

Arrch 05-08-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 65620439)
They really should. The Isles and Luongo are a match made in heaven. Lu will be cheap to acquire, Gillis is happen to move him out of the conference, the Isles are a young, up and coming contender, Lu is an elite goaltender.

From a hockey perspective, sure. The problem is Lu's salary for the next 5 years is higher than his cap hit.

TheJuxtaposer 05-08-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrch (Post 65620745)
From a hockey perspective, sure. The problem is Lu's salary for the next 5 years is higher than his cap hit.

I thought I read somewhere that the Isles are loosening the strings on their wallet next year?

niccolo19 05-08-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 65617225)

May 15 2002 playoffs game 7 vs Colorado 1-0
Game 6 May 17th 2006 vs oilers 2-0

I mean deciding games shut outs sorry not game 7 shutouts

krudmonk 05-08-2013 04:07 PM

Nabokov had lapses at some very bad times but I don't recall any real stretch of multiple games in which he turned in regarly poor performances.