HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Rick Jeanneret to return for 13-14 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1424679)

New Sabres Captain 05-08-2013 04:02 PM

Rick Jeanneret to return for 13-14

Didn't see this posted, if it was and I missed it mods can do their thing.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130509420/1004

Quote:

The 70-year-old Jeanneret, who has been calling Sabres games almost from the team’s inception, ended any speculation about his future Tuesday and confirmed that he plans to be back next season.

“I don’t know how many games I am going to do,” said Jeanneret, who added he has a year left on his contract. “I’ll do most of them. It depends on the schedule. There are several variables. There could be three trips to Florida, which I could handle if I’m already there.”
Quote:

Jeanneret’s return would appear to put an end to speculation that the Sabres are considering having different announce teams work radio and TV.

Greg Ried, the vice president and general manager of WGR and other Entercom stations in town, said a few weeks ago that having separate announce teams would be a consideration only if Jeanneret left the booth and even then it would depend on who would replace him. That is no longer a concern.

“Since Rick said he is coming back, our plan is to have him back on the radio,” Ried said Tuesday.

Rob Paxon 05-08-2013 04:11 PM

Good, but they better be putting more work into finding his eventual TV/radio replacements than they put into finding their next head coach. The time is unfortunately nearing.

couture23 05-08-2013 04:59 PM

Find Ray's replacement, that's all I care about.

Dixon Ward 05-08-2013 05:05 PM

good god i hope they don't extend his contract beyond next season

jBuds 05-08-2013 05:17 PM

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Stop Winnin 05-08-2013 05:19 PM

Will never forget this call as long as I live.

ZZamboni 05-08-2013 05:35 PM

Awesome news. I want him behind the mic, but I also want the organization to get a handful of potential suitors to do PxP for some away games. There needs to be a plan in place for when "that time" sadly happens.

BUCKSHOT 05-08-2013 06:15 PM

everyone knows how I feel on this subject !

Havok89 05-08-2013 07:13 PM

I don't like it, but who else whould they use?

5 Minute Major 05-08-2013 07:33 PM

Amazing how bitter Sabres fans have become.

Moskau 05-08-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major (Post 65636811)
Amazing how bitter Sabres fans have become.

Please the guy has been terrible at calls for 4+ years now.

aceface33 05-08-2013 08:29 PM

RJ is still awesome. I don't understand the hate.

Better Call Saul 05-08-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZamboni (Post 65625781)
Awesome news. I want him behind the mic, but I also want the organization to get a handful of potential suitors to do PxP for some away games. There needs to be a plan in place for when "that time" sadly happens.

This is the Sabres you're talking about. They'll just call Sylvester and install him when RJ goes because they don't believe in interviewing candidates for jobs. They simply settle for the closest mediocre guy they can find.

(Yes, I am bitter about the Rolston situation.)

Stop Winnin 05-08-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceface33 (Post 65644847)

Refer to my earlier post for evidence to the contrary.

aceface33 05-08-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop Winnin (Post 65646571)
Refer to my earlier post for evidence to the contrary.

??
What's the issue?

Vito_81 05-08-2013 09:50 PM

Have to say I'm a little disappointed the Sabres are letting him return. He's not what he used to be. It's almost sad to hear him these days.

It's like watching 60 year old Hulk Hogan tear off his t-shirt and try to wrestle like it's still 1980. It's so bad that it almost starts to tarnish what he was.

Is he a legend, Yes.
Is he the best play by play guy I've ever heard, Yes
But is he well past his best before date, unfortunately yes.

They should end his tenure and start fresh. If he really wants to call games then give him a few games here and there. Maybe set up something where he calls a few Friday or Saturday night home games as kind of a retro/throw-back kind of thing. But to have to hear him struggle through calls for a full 82 game season, it won't be pleasant.

The article does have a quote from RJ saying he doesn't know how many games he'll do. HOPEFULLY, they go with a split between RJ and another play by play guy(not K-Sly)

SundherDome 05-08-2013 10:00 PM

Thank God...he is the best,games will be enjoyable I loathe the day rick hangs him up. Now ray on the other he has to go.

VaporTrail 05-08-2013 10:03 PM

unreal fans are turning on RJ.......His replacement won't even be in the same arena as Rick....He has a job as long as he wants as far as I'm concerned.

VaporTrail 05-08-2013 10:04 PM

I'm assuming the fans that want him gone are newer fans ? have to be.

LongWayDown37 05-09-2013 02:00 PM

RJ is still an excellent play by play guy. Some of these comments to the contrary are foolish.

joshmo65 05-09-2013 02:25 PM

I think people have to listen to other radio broadcasts before they start knocking RJ. I absolutely love RJ and can easily follow the play on the radio. It will be great if the radio and TV get split as I think those really are two different mediums and deserve two different announcers.

Listening to the Pens broadcast, I rarely can follow the play. I loved the call where there was a penalty and I didn't even know they dropped the puck because the announcers were talking about something useless.

ZZamboni 05-09-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshmo65 (Post 65696895)
I think people have to listen to other radio broadcasts before they start knocking RJ. I absolutely love RJ and can easily follow the play on the radio. It will be great if the radio and TV get split as I think those really are two different mediums and deserve two different announcers.

Listening to the Pens broadcast, I rarely can follow the play. I loved the call where there was a penalty and I didn't even know they dropped the puck because the announcers were talking about something useless.

What I've noticed (listening to a lot of radio broadcasts of games via Tune in app) is there are few who sound passionate. They do PxP in a "matter of fact" info supplying way. The only time the pace or sound of their voice punctuates the play is a goal or a huge hit/save. It's rather boring at times and has lead to losing my attention for several minutes. RJ, although declining, holds my attention from puck drop to end buzzer. It's the product on the ice that has lead to losing my attention for a few minutes from time to time :laugh:

HockeyH3aven 05-09-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceface33 (Post 65650271)
??
What's the issue?

It takes him about 30 seconds to figure out who scored. :laugh:

He's over the hill. I'm not upset with this, we can also do much worse than RJ.

Stop Winnin 05-09-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven (Post 65698861)
It takes him about 30 seconds to figure out who scored. :laugh:

He's over the hill. I'm not upset with this, we can also do much worse than RJ.

That's not even my problem with it, he completely butchers the call. I mean I get messing it up a little but no announcer in the NHL would butcher a call that badly. And this isn't the first time he's done it.

I get it, he's been one of the biggest symbols of Buffalo Sabres hockey but it's time to move on.

Takeo 05-09-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceface33 (Post 65644847)

It's not hate. It's the reality that when I can't watch a game on television and instead tune in the radio feed, I have no idea what's happening on the ice. Nevermind the obnoxious forced calls.