HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   All Purpose Avalanche Head Coach Discussion l Part II (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1424693)

RockLobster 05-08-2013 04:22 PM

All Purpose Avalanche Head Coach Discussion l Part II
 
Continue here

S E P H 05-08-2013 04:24 PM

From last thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015
I wonder if we could entice Housley to take an assistant role with the team.
Housley would do absolute wonders with our breakout and powerplay, but I get the feeling he's waiting for that head coach position. Which Avs probably won't want him.

Also I want no part of Tippett.

Boys we need an offensive style of coach that plays a puck possession game.

AV is absolutely that, but I have my doubts on him as his motivation factor for the the players has been seriously lacking. That is why I and RL think that Eakins and Johnston are the best for this. I don't know how many of you watch Portland, but they play like what the Avs should play.

CobraAcesS 05-08-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S E P H (Post 65622345)
From last thread.


I wonder if we could entice Housley to take an assistant role with the team.
Housley would do absolute wonders with our breakout and powerplay, but I get the feeling he's waiting for that head coach position. Which Avs probably won't want him.

Also I want no part of Tippett.

Boys we need an offensive style of coach that plays a puck possession game.

AV is absolutely that, but I have my doubts on him as his motivation factor for the the players has been seriously lacking. That is why I and RL think that Eakins and Johnston are the best for this. I don't know how many of you watch Portland, but they play like what the Avs should play.

It's interesting how many people are scared of Tippet, especially with all the positives surrounding his history. I personally think Sakic taking over a larger role and the hire of Tippet would signify a move in a better direction.

A hire outside of the organization, and a management face for the franchise. Tippet, Eakins, and Roy are my favorites in that order.

You can't deny what Tippet has done with Phoneix, and there has been plenty of young players that have thrived under him just fine. It's just like how peoples fear of Roy's temper is a bit over blown IMO. Especially since people still seem to think that young players would have a problem with Roy despite his actual coaching history.

Lonewolfe2015 05-08-2013 05:26 PM

Man would it be awesome to bring a Eakins, Housley, whomever group together. Housley needs to get exposure at the NHL-level (or at least AHL head coach) before he will get a head coaching gig, can't imagine it would hurt him to be an assistant for our club if he's given certain assurances he can either take over LEM or COL depending on how he does.

Don't want Tippet, don't want Roy, AV, Ruff, etc. I like experienced guys like Carlyle, but people who leave their clubs due to weak performance on a top club rather than their team giving up on them make me less interested. Tippet would hurt our development imo and Roy would wear out on the team as quickly as Sacco did.

I know nothing of Johnston, so I'll take people's word on him.

I just like the way Housley works special teams, in the WC and WJC he knew how to build a solid PP and PK. He needs more experience to be a head coach though.

Elever 05-08-2013 05:49 PM

What's this talk I hear about Tippet? Man that would be boring even if it was effective.

bohlmeister 05-08-2013 05:53 PM

The issue that I have with Tippett is that his teams play on their heels. They defend first, and capitalize on turn overs. It really isn't much different than Sacco's system.

I think this team needs a fresh new start.

Nzap 05-08-2013 05:53 PM

I'd basically be happy with anyone if the Avs can explain their reasons for hiring this coach.
I won't buy any "family" or "long time serving in organization". (i.e. means no Chynoweth, Granato, Army, Sacco (again))
Anything else and I'm fine, it being someone in the CHL, the NHL, or someone else competent.
This would be the perfect stepping stone to start some great things here, so let's just hope they won't screw this up by taking an easy way out.

CalderKing21 05-08-2013 05:54 PM

as i said before. Roy,Eakins and Vigneault(if he's fired) are my top 3 guys for the job. hopefully we get one of them. Tippett would be up there as well. Ruff is on the back end.

icesniper 05-08-2013 06:21 PM

If Sakic takes on a larger role, as speculated, it will be interesting to see who he pursues for the coaching position.

PeterTheGreat 05-08-2013 06:37 PM

You guys realize that Pheonix OUTSCORED the Avs the last couple years.

Tippetts team plays the way they do because of the lack of offensive talent on their roster. Given our roster im sure we'd see a slightly more open style.

Freudian 05-08-2013 06:40 PM

I'm not a fan of Foote as assistant coach for now. Mostly because he was a team mate of so many of the players on the team and also because he is too green.

If he wants it bad enough, he can go to Monsters/Cutthroats and learn it there.

expatriated_texan 05-08-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freudian (Post 65630489)
I'm not a fan of Foote as assistant coach for now. Mostly because he was a team mate of so many of the players on the team and also because he is too green.

If he wants it bad enough, he can go to Cleveland and learn it there.

And if Duncan really does start next season there I'd be a happy camper for him to have Footer giving him advice on how to clear the trash from the crease and direct traffic in the corners at the pro level.

Lonewolfe2015 05-08-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freudian (Post 65630489)
I'm not a fan of Foote as assistant coach for now. Mostly because he was a team mate of so many of the players on the team and also because he is too green.

If he wants it bad enough, he can go to Monsters/Cutthroats and learn it there.

Foote prolly wants to stay in Denver, but I don't think we can appoint the Cutthroats staff (correct me if I'm wrong), so that would leave him coaching his kid's team. Seems good to me.

I agree with your post above, keep him away from the team. He's not ready to coach yet, maybe in the future.

CalderKing21 05-08-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat (Post 65630169)
You guys realize that Pheonix OUTSCORED the Avs the last couple years.

Tippetts team plays the way they do because of the lack of offensive talent on their roster. Given our roster im sure we'd see a slightly more open style.

ok, i'm only going to say this once...
Joe Sacco was our coach.

Allen Degenerate 05-08-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 65631021)
Foote prolly wants to stay in Denver, but I don't think we can appoint the Cutthroats staff (correct me if I'm wrong), so that would leave him coaching his kid's team. Seems good to me.

I agree with your post above, keep him away from the team. He's not ready to coach yet, maybe in the future.

I'm sure Foote would welcome a return to Ohio.

Colorado Avalanche 05-08-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohlmeister (Post 65626731)
The issue that I have with Tippett is that his teams play on their heels. They defend first, and capitalize on turn overs. It really isn't much different than Sacco's system.

I think this team needs a fresh new start.

You think Tippett is going to play with same tactic as with Coyotes? He's not an idiot. We are not strong defensively, we need to rely on offense more than Coyotes, he would know this and would change his tactics with Colorado. Bring him in!

shadow1 05-08-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat (Post 65630169)
You guys realize that Pheonix OUTSCORED the Avs the last couple years.

Tippetts team plays the way they do because of the lack of offensive talent on their roster. Given our roster im sure we'd see a slightly more open style.

More to your point, Tippett uses what he has. When he coached the Dallas Stars, they were a productive offensive team save for 2003-2004.

Foppa2118 05-08-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat (Post 65630169)
You guys realize that Pheonix OUTSCORED the Avs the last couple years.

Tippetts team plays the way they do because of the lack of offensive talent on their roster. Given our roster im sure we'd see a slightly more open style.

This is a big part, but it's also due to Tippet's system. It's not a bad system, it's much better suited to winning a cup, and Tippet is one of the best in the league, but as long as PL is here, he will not be.

My gut tells me Sakic might have similar sensibilities as well if the decision was left to him.

Mouse21* 05-08-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos Engine (Post 65641379)
I'm sure Foote would welcome a return to Ohio.

cleveland is very far from columbus.

InjuredChoker 05-09-2013 12:51 PM

Doesn't Eakins use a very defensive system as well?

I think Tippett is very smart coach.

He uses whatever system brings the best out of his players.

In Phoenix it is what it is. He didn't have much to work with. Best offensive player he's had was 39yr old Ray Whitney. Or Shane Doan.

That's how I see it.

Tippett's Stars were three times in top ten for goals per game during his tenure for what it's worth.

Personally I don't give a crap if it's 'boring', I want to win. Losing from year to year is more boring to me.

Pierce Hawthorne 05-09-2013 02:13 PM

Roy would be an exciting choice. Not sure its the best though.

I have heard a lot of very good things about Eakins from all around the league. I guess he would be my #1 option based on the word of others. Seems like a good puck possession type of coach.

If Bylsma or AV get fired they would be good options to IMO. Same thing with Laviolette.


Regardless. Any coach that we hire will be a significant improvement over Sacco. There are a good few coaches available for us to hire.


Between the new head coach, Seth Jones, and the management changes that have happened or seem to be happening I am starting to become cautiously optimistic about this team heading into next year.

I think we could see a complete 180 in terms of not just our on ice performance, but the way things are run next year.

Crisp Breakout 05-09-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse21 (Post 65666063)
cleveland is very far from columbus.

Meh... it's only a two hour drive. I've made the drive after OSU football weekends for 8am class in Cleveland. But Columbus is a much nicer city than Cleveland unless you're a fan of the arts or love horrible professional sports.

Hesher 05-09-2013 02:33 PM

Isn't Tippett bad in developing young players?

Avs For Life 05-09-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hesher (Post 65697327)
Isn't Tippett bad in developing young players?

OEL has come along pretty well...

Lefty9420 05-09-2013 02:36 PM

Honestly see Roy hanging out a few more years to see if Quebec gets the Nords back. If so it's 100% he becomes GM/ Coach or both. If he waits and Q doesn't get a team, well reality is NHL coaches usually last what 3-4 years. So statistically (and based on the AVS history of never keeping a coach longer than 4 years) the Avs will probably be looking again sooner rather than later and he can slide in then.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.