HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Elliott vs Fleury (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1424937)

illpucks 05-08-2013 10:11 PM

Elliott vs Fleury

Both of these goalies have been criticized for cracking under pressure. Elliott - last year vs Kings, this year midseason. Fleury - last year vs Flyers, this year vs Isles.

Who would you rather have as your teams starting goalie?

Milan the God* 05-08-2013 10:15 PM

As an Ottawa Senators fan, this is a nightmare decision. I either take the crappy goalie who lets in non-stop weak goals, or the goalie who was the worst goalie in the NHL when he played here.

I'd take my chances with Elliott and hope he can be at least decent.

radapex 05-08-2013 10:15 PM

Elliott was a sub .900 goaltender until he fell in the arms of St Louis and Hitchcock's system. As bad as Fleury's been in the playoffs, he's never been on that level of bad throughout the course of an entire regular season.

It's going to take a lot to convince me his improvement isn't just a product of that system, just like Smith's incredible improvement isn't a product of Phoenix's system. To me, they (Elliott and Smith) are the poster boys for system goaltenders. Neither looked good before the got into their respective systems, and there's a good chance that neither will look good once their out of those systems. As such, fans of whatever team pays Smith a fortune in the off-season have my sympathy.

SchennSational1022* 05-08-2013 10:21 PM

Fleury. Elliot is hinestly terrible.

Gritzky98 05-08-2013 11:04 PM

Not sold on goalies like Elliot and Smith

BudMovin* 05-08-2013 11:09 PM

Oh god... Neither! I'd rather take the 4th line goon who plays 2 min a game and strap some pads on him.

SchennSational1022* 05-08-2013 11:29 PM

Lol that OT goal Elliot just gave up makes me feel glad I have Bryzgalov as my goalie. Kind of sad actually

stlblues9 05-09-2013 02:00 AM

Elliott has a sub 2.00 GAA in these playoffs and Fleury is losing his series on his own.

3074326 05-09-2013 02:04 AM

I don't know how anyone can take Fleury right now.

If we're talking for the future, Fleury. Right now, anyone but.

KingKopitar11* 05-09-2013 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 (Post 65667699)
Lol that OT goal Elliot just gave up makes me feel glad I have Bryzgalov as my goalie. Kind of sad actually

Lol Bryz ducking on a shot.. I lol

danishh 05-09-2013 02:48 AM

both completely unreliable. Hard to choose, but right now elliott is a lot closer to "on his game" than fleury is, so i guess him.

Malkin112 05-09-2013 02:53 AM

This is Easy, Fleury has cup and Elliot is one of the worst goalies in league.

FloydTheBarber 05-09-2013 03:50 AM

Fleury, he'd have Elliot numbers in that system.

Remember folks, this is the same coach who got Steve Mason a Vezina trophy nomination.

Elliot was also used to secure a top pick for the Avs, he did that job well and was let go immediately.

Can't believe Elliot is winning this, and I'm not a Fleury supporter at all, I scoffed at anyone who had him penciled in to start for Canada at the Olympics.

SenateReform 05-09-2013 07:38 AM

Elliott has never been capable of being the #1 goalie on a winning team.

Stats watching at its finest.

tony d 05-09-2013 07:54 AM

Fleury. Say all you will about the guy he does have a Stanley Cup.

domaug* 05-09-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenateReform (Post 65677495)
Elliott has never been capable of being the #1 goalie on a winning team.

Stats watching at its finest.

BINGO.

i'm not a Fleury fan at all. that said, he's at least proven more than Elliott has. unfortunately neither goalie is elite by any means. on HFBoards of all places (what a shock), they are probably the most hated goalies outside of maybe Luongo because all people want to acknowledge is their mistakes.

underneath their sometimes monstrous mistakes is talent to be above average. however, that talent is inconsistent at best.

basically, i'm picking Fleury because he's at least achieved glory when it mattered, whether it was because of his own play or not. say what you will about the Pens' defense during their Cup runs. you still need a half-decent goalie to keep you in the game no matter how good your defense is. until Elliott can get in those opportunities, i'm sticking with Fleury here.

radapex 05-09-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domaug (Post 65678043)
BINGO.

i'm not a Fleury fan at all. that said, he's at least proven more than Elliott has. unfortunately neither goalie is elite by any means. on HFBoards of all places (what a shock), they are probably the most hated goalies outside of maybe Luongo because all people want to acknowledge is their mistakes.

underneath their sometimes monstrous mistakes is talent to be above average. however, that talent is inconsistent at best.

basically, i'm picking Fleury because he's at least achieved glory when it mattered, whether it was because of his own play or not. say what you will about the Pens' defense during their Cup runs. you still need a half-decent goalie to keep you in the game no matter how good your defense is. until Elliott can get in those opportunities, i'm sticking with Fleury here.

In the interest of honesty, I wonder how many people around here believe that Fleury is terrible because he just isn't good or that he's terrible because he's completely inconsistent and unreliable. I'm of the latter, of course. I think he's as talented as any goalie in the league, but that he's just as likely to lose a game for you as he is to win one - or perhaps even more likely to lose one than win one.

Le Magnifique 66 05-09-2013 09:28 AM

Elliot, had enough with Fleury

trentmccleary 05-09-2013 09:39 AM

Fleury because of the higher upside.

I would choose Fleury because he's extremely talented in the hopes that I could find a goalie coach who could teach him to play the position.

Elliott has better fundamentals, but not much talent. Ottawa had Alex Auld right before and alongside Elliott... the difference between them is negligible.

My bias:
I think that Fleury is crap, always have. Whenever my team has faced him; I've always thought that his flopping around, over-reacting to shots and mental meltdowns would give us a chance no matter how good Pittsburgh was at the time.

Elliott was an adequate 1B / 2A for much of his time in Ottawa. Compared to a real starter, Elliott was consistently mediocre. He was so bad in his last 20 games in Ottawa, that I believed we'd never win another game with him in net again.

klozge 05-09-2013 09:44 AM

I'm an Avs fan. No chance I pick Elliott.

bleedblue1223 05-09-2013 01:54 PM

Elliott will never be liked on HF.

hattrick3518 05-09-2013 01:58 PM

Maf, ainec.

tp71 05-09-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 65695297)
Elliott will never be liked on HF.

It's because he's not that good. Everywhere but St Louis he's been awful. There's a reason for that.

I take Fleury without blinking.

gifted88 05-09-2013 02:23 PM

I think the fans would at least appreciate a former cup winner. I'd take MAF

dr robbie 05-09-2013 02:26 PM

Which MAF? Regular season, he does fine. Playoffs... well, you're better off just suiting up another forward.