HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Tom Wilson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1425201)

8 ovechstrom 19 05-09-2013 09:40 AM

Tom Wilson

Tom Wilson and Joey Crabb recalled from Hershey. I am very interest in seeing what Wilson can do.

CapitalsCupFantasy 05-09-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8 ovechstrom 19 (Post 65681907)
Tom Wilson and Joey Crabb recalled from Hershey. I am very interest in seeing what Wilson can do.

Likely we'll see him watching from the pressbox.

Hivemind 05-09-2013 09:53 AM

Maybe Wilson sees the ice over Volpatti if Erat can't go, but I wouldn't count on it. These are "black aces" call ups.

strungout 05-09-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy (Post 65682425)
Likely we'll see him watching from the pressbox.

Sadly...this is true.

They just need something else on the 4th line and in general. Sometimes its a young dude willing to throw the body around that creates the spark the rest of the team needs to win battles and fight back. Wilson will do that.

Mojo - Backstrom - Ovie
Fehr - Ribeiro - Brouwer
Chimera - Perreault - Ward
Hendricks - Beagle - Wilson

If Erat can go....scratch Hendricks but Keep Fehr on the 2nd.

Mojo - Backstrom - Ovie
Fehr - Ribeiro - Brouwer
Chimera - Perreault - Ward
Erat - Beagle - Wilson

QuadrupleDeke 05-09-2013 09:57 AM

6th game played would burn a year of his ELC. Not worth it, IMO

Just to double check, that doesn't count AHL games, right?

strungout 05-09-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke (Post 65682705)

It doesn't count AHL games. That was a ATO contract.

Hivemind 05-09-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Playoff games don't impact ELC status, IIRC.

QuadrupleDeke 05-09-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystlyfe (Post 65682949)

False.

strungout 05-09-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystlyfe (Post 65682949)

Very false.

I'd risk it personally...since i think he'll make the opening night roster next season anyways. I dont see him needing AHL seasoning.

RandyHolt 05-09-2013 10:07 AM

Volpatti can bring that thunder instead of Wilson for Game 5.

But will Oates want Pattycake instead? Wolski is hungry

BiPolar Caps 05-09-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8 ovechstrom 19 (Post 65681907)

But no Kundratek, Orlov or Latta.:huh:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 05-09-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

I thought it was 30 games and playoffs didn't count, hence Shea Weber's first year not counting?

QuadrupleDeke 05-09-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 65683289)
I thought it was 30 games and playoffs didn't count, hence Shea Weber's first year not counting?

Isn't the 30 game limit just for rookie status? Like for winning the Calder trophy?

It's usually 10 evaluation games without starting the ELC, but this year it was reduced to 5 because of the lockout. It has always included playoffs, I believe.

brs03 05-09-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 65683289)

The longer limits affect RFA years and rookie status. The 10 game (6 in a shortened season) limit affects burning a year, though, and the playoffs definitely count.

I mean, I don't know if Wilson's second contract will end up costing much more than his ELC, given the bonuses involved. But burning a year would be painful by the time that 3rd contract comes along. He'd have to have an actual impact to justify it.

Hivemind 05-09-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strungout (Post 65683023)
Very false.

I'd risk it personally...since i think he'll make the opening night roster next season anyways. I dont see him needing AHL seasoning.

He can't play in the AHL next year. NHL or CHL.

Let him slow cook. If we want him to become a legitimate scoring threat rather than a 4th line banger/pest, we need to allow him to continue developing his offensive game. Give him another year as a primary offensive threat in the CHL, then let him cut his teeth for at least part of a season in the AHL.

Don't ruin his confidence and let him develop bad habits by throwing him to the wolves.

Liberati0n* 05-09-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 65683255)
Volpatti can bring that thunder instead of Wilson for Game 5.

When has Volpatti ever brought anything close to "thunder"?

Hivemind 05-09-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberati0n (Post 65685069)

He hits harder and more frequently than, say, Hendricks. Does he truck people like Ovechkin? No, but he's certainly physical and he finishes his checks. He's always looking to make contact on the forecheck.

If it weren't for us getting plastered in faceoffs, I'd support Volpatti in for Hendricks regardless of whether or not Wilson plays.

RandyHolt 05-09-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberati0n (Post 65685069)

When has 4th line since he has been scratched the past 4 games. Aside from the odd Hendricks hit, the 4th line has been closer to a lightning bug than thunder.

Watch and see if you doubt Randman

Liberati0n* 05-09-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystlyfe (Post 65685201)
He hits harder and more frequently than, say, Hendricks. Does he truck people like Ovechkin? No, but he's certainly physical and he finishes his checks. He's always looking to make contact on the forecheck.

If it weren't for us getting plastered in faceoffs, I'd support Volpatti in for Hendricks regardless of whether or not Wilson plays.

He finishes his checks, but he's too small for them to have any real impact. I obviously agree with you on Wilson, but **** it...put him in for the rest of the series and tell him to run around crushing everything that moves.

BobRouse 05-09-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberati0n (Post 65685709)
He finishes his checks, but he's too small for them to have any real impact. I obviously agree with you on Wilson, but **** it...put him in for the rest of the series and tell him to run around crushing everything that moves.

This would be...AWESOME! haha Would love to see it and get a glimpse into the future.

More likely he would play 5 or 6 minutes and look tenative

BiPolar Caps 05-09-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberati0n (Post 65685709)

I agree with Wilson only coming so he can observe the games and just get a feel of the NHL playoff atmosphere, but nothing more than that at this time.

As far as Volpatti goes, the Caps forwards need to lay some bodies on the Rangers D-men behind the Rangers net and in the Rangers corners/boards and AV fits that assignment. He's not a heavy weight by any means but he's also not afraid to lay the body on folks. Said it before the fourth line's assignment should be that of a meat tenderizer, if we get any offense from them after that then that's an added bonus.

ChibiPooky 05-09-2013 11:56 AM

For those of you who missed it in the other thread, Wilson took rushes with the 4th line today in practice.

I'm kind of scared. He gets a LOT of penalties.

BobRouse 05-09-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChibiPooky (Post 65688979)
For those of you who missed it in the other thread, Wilson took rushes with the 4th line today in practice.

I'm kind of scared. He gets a LOT of penalties.

As long as he gets his money's worth on the penalties! haha

I'd be ecstatic to see him. Hendricks is sux this series and not providing any energy.

Volpatti will help and I feel Volpatti+Wilson=4th line PROFIT!

ChibiPooky 05-09-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRouse (Post 65689087)
As long as he gets his money's worth on the penalties! haha

I'd be ecstatic to see him. Hendricks is sux this series and not providing any energy.

Volpatti will help and I feel Volpatti+Wilson=4th line PROFIT!

Well, I'm excited about his physicality, and from the few clips I've seen he looks pretty strong and quick on the boards and around the net. I'm just worried that he also has a lot of stupid teenage raging hormones. I do want to see Volpatti in on the 4th. 24 - 26 - 83 like it was, or 24 - 83 - 43.

It sounds like everybody worked in on the 4th today though except 15.

RandyHolt 05-09-2013 12:58 PM

WhyNo dangling a carrot in his story listed TW as our 4th line RW

Since we did move a RW to LW, perhaps indeed Wilson has a greater chance than one would think. I know Oates remembers how good our 4th line VHB was just 2 weeks ago though.

Laich is quickly healing keeping the water muddy

Quote:

@SkyKerstein #Caps Laich "Felt really good. Certainly better than yesterday. More power, more explosion, more range of motion...pretty excited right now"
Looks like a big old southpaw