HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Tyler Seguin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1425407)

Afam* 05-09-2013 02:59 PM

Tyler Seguin

To say i'm disappointed in the way he is playing so far would be an understatement.

(1) He thinks he can go 5 vs 3 when he brings the puck across the neutral zone to the attacking zone and tries to deke every defender who tries to poke check him. Maybe it's about time he realizes that hockey is a 5 vs 5 game and start looking to pass to his teammates .

(2) Scoring: What happened to his scoring ability. It has disappeared all of a sudden and it seems like he forgot how to be a goal scorer. No play vision what so ever. Phil kessel has looked like a better play this series and i feel dirty saying it. For whatever reason Tyler seguin refuses to go to the dirty areas being the boards, around the net area/ crashing the net etc.

Danton Heineken 05-09-2013 03:02 PM

He played physical in this series for the first time in his life. He's been contributing in other ways besides points. That being said, he and his 2 linemates need to pick it up. The Bruins were able to ride LKH in this series because it was a terrible matchup for the Leafs. The next opponent will be different.

GodTukka* 05-09-2013 03:05 PM

He's been underwhelming (outside of the hitting, that's a big surprise)

I suggest he learns to pass as you suggest and maybe work on his shot a bit...that one backhand chance he had in game 3 (i think it was 3) would have been a goal if it was someone else

Gee Wally 05-09-2013 03:08 PM

Seguin needs to learn how to use his body to protect the puck. He can't always rely on his slick hands. He d be better served watching Jagr then ************ with Marchand when they are on he bench.

In the off season he needs to bulk up a bit.

All things considered, he' ll be fine over the long haul.

KrejciMVP 05-09-2013 03:08 PM

sigh.. definitely does not look anywhere close to being a #2 pick. I really hope he changes back to the player from last year

GodTukka* 05-09-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee Wally (Post 65699117)
Seguin needs to learn how to use his body to protect the puck. He can't always rely on his slick hands. He d be better served watching Jagr then ************ with Marchand when they are on he bench.

This. It's only his 2nd full year with the team correct? (Not even full i guess since the lockout) so still plenty of time to work out the kinks

patty59 05-09-2013 03:10 PM

Maybe he's fat and lazy:sarcasm:

Kaoz* 05-09-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afam (Post 65698695)
To say i'm disappointed in the way he is playing so far would be an understatement.

(1) He thinks he can go 5 vs 3 when he brings the puck across the neutral zone to the attacking zone and tries to deke every defender poke check him. Maybe it's about time he realizes that hockey is a 5 vs 5 game and start looking to pass to his teammates .

(2) Scoring: What happened to his scoring ability. It has disappeared all of a sudden and it seems like he forgot how to be a goal scorer. No play vision what so ever. Phil kessel has looked like a better play this series and i feel dirty saying it. For whatever reason Tyler seguin refuses to go to the dirty areas being the boards, around the net area/ crashing the net etc.

So has Marchands, and Phil Kessel has looked like one of the most dangerous offensive threats on the ice... because he is.

Kessel is a good example to hold up before getting on Seguin. He was run out of town because his lack of a complete game, propensity to use one drag and curl move, and a raw skillset offensively that people mistook for a finished product. Now you see what that matures into. Seguin is not the offensive player Kessel is now, but he's better then Kessel was at the same age and has a far more complete game.

The issue with Seguin is people expecting him to carry the Bruins offensively. He's been engaged, he's worked defensively and is really the only one on that line getting any type of chances 5 on 5. Marchand has been completely ineffective as Phaneuf and Gunnarsson are able to just throw him off the puck when he starts his cycle game and Bergeron hasn't looked right offensively since coming back from the latest concussion.

Add to that he has been key part to at least two goals (one being called back).

All that said, the Bergeron line is being shutdown by the Leafs top pairing... but on the flip side that has pitted the Krejci line against Franson and Fraser... one of who at this time last year was in the AHL and the other who was fighting for a 3rd pairing spot.

Afam* 05-09-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee Wally (Post 65699117)

I agree with that statement. Well said Wally. He needs to learn how to use his body to protect the puck. Maybe Berg can mentor him on that. Furthermore he needs to start going to the dirty areas and stop playing a perimeter game by sitting in the corners waiting for the puck to come to him. If im wrong on the bold part definition, someone please correct him.

CanadianBruinsFan 05-09-2013 03:13 PM

Still time. He played great the first 2 games, just couldn't finish. Guy's still got all the tools. It does seem like he's rushing everything though. I'm not worried about his overall game.

Besides, how much is it his fault anyway. He and Marchand play on a doughnut line. No centre.

Mainehockey33 05-09-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoz (Post 65699241)
So has Marchands, and Phil Kessel has looked like one of the most dangerous offensive threats on the ice... because he is.

Kessel is a good example to hold up before getting on Seguin. He was run out of town because his lack of a complete game, propensity to use one drag and curl move, and a raw skillset offensively that people mistook for a finished product. Now you see what that matures into. Seguin is not the offensive player Kessel is now, but he's better then Kessel was at the same age and has a far more complete game.

The issue with Seguin is people expecting him to carry the Bruins offensively. He's been engaged, he's worked defensively and is really the only one on that line getting any type of chances 5 on 5. Marchand has been completely ineffective as Phaneuf and Gunnarsson are able to just throw him off the puck when he starts his cycle game and Bergeron hasn't looked right offensively since coming back from the latest concussion.

All that said, the Bergeron line is being shutdown by the Leafs top pairing... but on the flip side that has pitted the Krejci line against Franson and Fraser... one of who at this time last year was in the AHL and the other who was fighting for a 3rd pairing spot.

Well said, it looks like he and Marchand are really being keyed on. I think they'll break out next series.

patty59 05-09-2013 03:19 PM

I think he's been OK, he's leading the team in shots and has had a pile of chances. The only problem I have with his game is that he's not using his speed to burn guys wide, rather he's trying to stick handle in their feet. That doesn't work with NHL D-men.

KrejciMVP 05-09-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoz (Post 65699241)

true, if he only buried a couple of those chances (like the one at the end of regulation last night) this post would not exist.

CanadianBruinsFan 05-09-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patty59 (Post 65699699)
I think he's been OK, he's leading the team in shots and has had a pile of chances. The only problem I have with his game is that he's not using his speed to burn guys wide, rather he's trying to stick handle in their feet. That doesn't work with NHL D-men.

Hope Mike Lundin doesn't read this.. haha.

Shaun 05-09-2013 03:26 PM

He'll be fine. In round 2 I wouldn't be surprised if Krejcis line gets shutdown and the Bergeron line carries the team.

DKH 05-09-2013 03:30 PM

This should be a great learning lesson for him; if he wants to be great this series is a gold mine for areas he can improve on

That said, he has played physical, he's still had his chances, but overall he and that line this series has been underwhelming

KnightofBoston 05-09-2013 03:33 PM

He goes 100 mph 100% of the time when he should be doing it about 50% of the time

Slow down, think, stop short, look for support...

TCL40 05-09-2013 03:34 PM

Game 4 aside-I thought his play away from the puck has mostly looked good-he was also taking shots (not scoring but at least shooting).

I thought he looked awful in last nights game.

I think he has some habits I wish he would stop-first trying to carry the puck through 2 or 3 defensemen. Second skating into the zone and shooting as soon as he crosses the blue line.

His physical game is getting better although he still loses a lot of board battles.

His back checking is very good and he uses his speed well.

I just think he is hitting a slump and is having trouble transitioning from the slightly sheltered player to the guy other teams want to shut down.

I haven't got a clue why he can't bury his chances though-snake bit maybe and hopefully it will come. We all know he can shoot and score-he was doing it last season. Hopefully it will click soon.

smithformeragent 05-09-2013 03:35 PM

Great Expectations

I think that they were so desperate to replace Kessel, that they have tried to mold Seguin into him. Speedy center, high draft choice, starting out on the wing. Last night, Seguin looked a lot more eager to dish than to snipe. Maybe they're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I think it was obvious that Hall was always their first choice and they would have flipped picks with Edmonton if they could have.

He hasn't earned the contract that he's set to begin next year IMO. In terms of production and pedigree, he reminds me a lot more of Horton than Tavares or Stamkos. Having said that, it's not his fault he was drafted second overall.

He has the luxury of being part of a club that is greater than the sum of its parts. He doesn't have to be Ovechkin or Malkin here. I'm disappointed in him at this juncture and do not see him budding into a tier one super star in the league, but that's ok. They're good enough where he doesn't have to be Sidney Crosby. He can just be Tyler Seguin.

C77 05-09-2013 03:36 PM

Sometimes guys have a bad series and (hopefully if the Bruins advance) the guys that didn't score too much will play better in the next one.

I'm all about the wins right now.

BaBaBruins 05-09-2013 03:40 PM

My only gripe is the fact that he consistently looks to "running man flashy hands" his way through 2 or more opposing players as he crosses the blue line with the puck.

If it were once in a while I would be fine with it but it seems that he never tries to go wide and let the other guys get in a better position to receive a pass or be there for a rebound.

I will say however that his play down low has looked pretty good and he has quite the ability to get the puck near the net when in the corners.

smithformeragent 05-09-2013 03:43 PM

The more I think about it, the more I think it's time to say **** it and let him sink or swing at center next year. Use the regular season as a dress rehearsal. They're good enough to make the playoffs regardless. If it doesn't work out, you move him back to the wing for the last 25 games or so and go with your playoff line-up.

CanadianBruinsFan 05-09-2013 03:53 PM

I think people sometimes forget that prospects aren't always crazy good right away. We've had a string of prospects that were tops in the league within 3 years. Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, P Kane, Toews, Tavares...

However some take longer. Joe Thornton took a few years to be a high point producer. Lecavalier took til his 5th season to come close to a point a game guy. JVR has yet to live up to his billing, 2nd overall pick. Duchene hit some bumps.

If Seguin had come into a team that was in the bottom of the league and told to use his pure offensive talents and don't worry about defence I'm sure he'd be a 40/40 guy by now. But he plays the same system as his teammates, and that makes it hard to reach huge point totals. Not ******** on Claude's system, but you have to defensively responsible and he rolls 4 lines. His talent isn't going anywhere, I think he'll figure it all out, slow down and be just fine. He'll learn to pay the price a little more, and once he sees that leading to points the sky's the limit. Might not be this series, but quite soon he'll put it all together.

Bmessy 05-09-2013 03:53 PM

I think when he is carrying the puck into the zone he should really try and put the puck in the defenders feet. Him being so fast and skilled he should be able to confuse and blow by guys. Even if it doesn't work after 317 tries I think he should keep on trying until it works.

Bi Coastal Bawse* 05-09-2013 03:57 PM

He's obviously washed up at 21 trade him :sarcasm: