HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Top 5 Defensemen (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=142541)

DaveMatthew 05-09-2005 09:10 PM

Top 5 Defensemen
 
If you had to start a hockey team tomorrow, one that would have a one year window to win the cup, which defenseman would you select?

Here are my top 5:

1. Chris Pronger
2. Zdeno Chara
3. Scott Niedermayer
4. Nik Lidstrom
5. Wade Redden

silver_made* 05-09-2005 09:14 PM

If Pronger gets a spot, so does Blake. Any spots for Aucoin and/or Ohlund?

Heaton 05-09-2005 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCoach
If you had to start a hockey team tomorrow, one that would have a one year window to win the cup, which defenseman would you select?

Here are my top 5:

1. Chris Pronger
2. Zdeno Chara
3. Scott Niedermayer
4. Nik Lidstrom
5. Wade Redden

1. Lidstrom
2. Pronger
3. Niedermayer
4. Stevens
5. Gonchar

Chilly Willy* 05-09-2005 09:16 PM

Rob Blake
Adrian Aucoin
Wade Redden
Niklas Lidstrom
Scott Niedermayer
Chris Pronger

7th - Zdeno Chara
8th - Mattias Ohlund


I would take Gonchar but if i have Aucoin (hard shot and has gotten VERY good at defence) and Niedermayer (speed baby, speed)i don't need him anymore. Stevens with a year off, i'm not sure how much of a hit he is gonna take in terms of his body and mind after sitting out a year, the guys i listed are younger than him and would bounce back, but Scott is one of my favourite defensemen, toughest SOB on defense.

Epsilon 05-09-2005 09:21 PM

Under the parameters layed out in the first post:

1. Niklas Lidstrom: 3-time Stanley Cup champ, Conn Smythe trophy winner, 3-time Norris trophy winner

2. Scott Niedermayer: 3-time Stanley Cup champ, current Norris trophy holder

3. Scott Stevens: 3-time Stanley Cup champ, Conn Smythe trophy winner

4. Adam Foote: 2-time Stanley Cup champ

5. Chris Pronger: Hart and Norris trophy winner, decent playoff performances

6. Brian Leetch: Stanley Cup champ, Conn Smythe trophy winner, 2-time Norris trophy winner

This defense has the right mix of offensive players, defensive players, and general all-around great defensemen. There is an appropriate level of experience without reaching for players who are over the hill (such as Chris Chelios).

norrisnick 05-09-2005 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon
Under the parameters layed out in the first post:

1. Niklas Lidstrom: 3-time Stanley Cup champ, Conn Smythe trophy winner, 3-time Norris trophy winner

2. Scott Niedermayer: 3-time Stanley Cup champ, current Norris trophy holder

3. Scott Stevens: 3-time Stanley Cup champ, Conn Smythe trophy winner

4. Adam Foote: 2-time Stanley Cup champ

5. Chris Pronger: Hart and Norris trophy winner, decent playoff performances

6. Brian Leetch: Stanley Cup champ, Conn Smythe trophy winner, 2-time Norris trophy winner

This defense has the right mix of offensive players, defensive players, and general all-around great defensemen. There is an appropriate level of experience without reaching for players who are over the hill (such as Chris Chelios).

Those would be the ones I go with.

Thornton97 05-09-2005 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norrisnick
Those would be the ones I go with.

I concur. If you're going for the cup, hard to argue with that list.

Habsfan 32 05-09-2005 10:02 PM

1.Lidstrom
2.Niedermayer
3.Pronger
4.Chara
5.Foote

Chilly Willy* 05-09-2005 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
1.Lidstrom
2.Niedermayer
3.Pronger
4.Chara
5.Foote


Imagine having a defense corps consisting of Stevens, Foote, Chara, and Pronger. :amazed: :eek: :amazed:

s7ark 05-09-2005 10:09 PM

Right now,

Lidstrom
Pronger
Niedermeyer
Chara
Blake

If I am picking for the future

JayBo
Pitkanen
Phaneuf
Brewer
Allen

monster_bertuzzi 05-09-2005 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
Right now,

Lidstrom
Pronger
Niedermeyer
Chara
Blake

If I am picking for the future

JayBo
Pitkanen
Phaneuf
Brewer
Allen

Brewer? Allen?

Bouwmeester
Pitkanen
Stuart
Phaneuf
Hannan

AnThGrt 05-09-2005 10:56 PM

We had this short while ago but how about Norstrom for consideration

RoyIsALegend* 05-09-2005 11:02 PM

My top 5 is rather distinct, and then there's a huge scatter for 6-10 with about 10 deserving players. Anyhow...

1. Nicklas Lidstrom
2. Chris Pronger
3. Scott Niedermayer
4. Rob Blake
5. Adam Foote

FLYLine24 05-09-2005 11:08 PM

1. Chris Pronger
2. Nicklas Lidstrom
3. Scott Niedermayer
4. Rob Blake
5. Zdeno Chara

Shareefruck 05-09-2005 11:08 PM

1. Niklas Lidstrom
2. Chris Pronger
3. Scott Niedermeiyer
4. Scott Stevens
5. Zdeno Chara ( Tough spot. Could easily be Blake, Foote, Leetch. Does MacInnis count? )

LuckyLUC20 05-09-2005 11:53 PM

In no particular order:

Niklas Lidstrom
Scott Niedermayer
Scott Stevens
Adam Foote
Brian Leetch

anguscertified 05-09-2005 11:55 PM

In order.

1. Lidstrom
2. Pronger
3. Niedermayer
4. Foote
5. Ohlund

arrbez 05-10-2005 01:14 AM

Pronger
Lidstrom
Blake
Niedermayer
Chara

no offense to Adrian Aucoin, but he really shouldn't be mentioned on this list above these guys and a number of others IMO

Matty 05-10-2005 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
My top 5 is rather distinct, and then there's a huge scatter for 6-10 with about 10 deserving players. Anyhow...

1. Nicklas Lidstrom
2. Chris Pronger
3. Scott Niedermayer
4. Rob Blake
5. Adam Foote

The most sensible list. I'd even keep the order :D These are the guys who are at the top year in and year out. Chara deserves honorable mention but needs to have at least one more season like his last in order to really knock out one of these big boys. Whether or not he ever has as dominating a season again is anyone's guess.

And I'd agree that there is a huge scatter for 6-10.

NFITO 05-10-2005 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon
Under the parameters layed out in the first post:

1. Niklas Lidstrom: 3-time Stanley Cup champ, Conn Smythe trophy winner, 3-time Norris trophy winner

2. Scott Niedermayer: 3-time Stanley Cup champ, current Norris trophy holder

3. Scott Stevens: 3-time Stanley Cup champ, Conn Smythe trophy winner

4. Adam Foote: 2-time Stanley Cup champ

5. Chris Pronger: Hart and Norris trophy winner, decent playoff performances

6. Brian Leetch: Stanley Cup champ, Conn Smythe trophy winner, 2-time Norris trophy winner

This defense has the right mix of offensive players, defensive players, and general all-around great defensemen. There is an appropriate level of experience without reaching for players who are over the hill (such as Chris Chelios).

good list, and great reasoning.

I would probably make a few changes to it though. I'm not so sure about Leetch anymore... he would be at the top of my list near when he won the Conn Smythe and Norris, but right now - if I'm betting the farm on next season, he wouldn't make my top 6.

Because of the risk, neither would Stevens. Definitely a guy that any team would want, especially for playoff type hockey, but the risk factor - whether he'll be healthy for a season and playoff run, and the durability through that, would concern me. There are a few other great dmen in the league that are safer picks IMO.

The 6 I'd go with:

Lidstrom - Pronger
Niedermayer - Foote
Chara - Blake

I think right now, Blake is a better option than Leetch. He also brings more of a physical presense, while not giving up anything offensively. And a right handed shot as well on the blueline (a better option for the PP than the RH Foote).

I'd also take Chara over Stevens. Better chances that he'll stay durable through the playoff run, while not really giving up anything defensively/physically...

4check22 05-10-2005 02:23 PM

As a staunch Devils fan and mighty supporter of Scott Stevens, I'd love to believe he is still elite . . . but he is old, and recent concussion issues have to keep him off a list of players to start a team with.

I'd go . . .

Pronger - Niedermayer
Chara - Lidstrom
Foote - Redden

I like the pairing of a physical defenseman with a fleet-footed, offensive defenseman. There are probably a lot of choices that could be on this list. I don't see how you could go wrong with any combination of about 10-12 guys. For me though, the top 4 should probably be on most people's lists.

King'sPawn 05-10-2005 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnThGrt
We had this short while ago but how about Norstrom for consideration

He's a great defensive defenseman, but when combining all assets, he's a step below those being mentioned.

RoyIsALegend* 05-10-2005 03:30 PM

Let us all keep in mind that prior to his injury in 2003-04, Rob Blake was running away with the Norris trophy and Scott Niedermayer was a distant second.

It's incredible how he's not even a top 6-7 D on most people's lists. :shakehead

12# Peter Bondra 05-10-2005 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
The 6 I'd go with:

Lidstrom - Pronger
Niedermayer - Foote
Chara - Blake

Imagine the payroll :amazed: .

Over 40 million.

Ajacied 05-10-2005 03:57 PM

When all on their game;

1) Niklas Lidstrom
2) Chris Pronger
3) Scott Niedermayer
4) Rob Blake
5) Sergei Zubov


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.