HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Will Karlsson ever be the same? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1425655)

Rals 05-09-2013 08:31 PM

Will Karlsson ever be the same?

Reduced minutes tonight lackluster player. makes me very worried.

Caje 05-09-2013 08:32 PM

With a full off-season of rehab, yes.

CanadianHockey 05-09-2013 08:32 PM

Yes. Give him time. Other players who have had this kind of injury have stated it takes up to a year to get back to normal, in terms of skating.

BK201 05-09-2013 08:33 PM

He came back 6 weeks early....

Rals 05-09-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK201 (Post 65726559)
He came back 6 weeks early....

Right, I'm scared he's doing damage to it.

BigEyedPhish 05-09-2013 08:34 PM

I'm not worried at all... he looks like **** and still has 6 points in 5 games...
if I just got my Achilles cut I would be taking it slightly easy... Especially skating wise..

Luckily Karlsson's talent isn't just because he has otherworldly skating, he is also one of the the most rediculously smart young players I have ever seen...

I don't expect the real Karlsson to show up until, next season.

I'd compare it to Adrian Peterson's ACL graft surgery, he comes back after an injury that 10 years ago would have probably ended his career.

Magix 05-09-2013 08:34 PM

Give it time. Lots of time.

EddieDingle 05-09-2013 08:38 PM

Yeah, I'm worried about Karlsson too. Although it's nice to be sitting here while the Sens are still playing and griping about Karlsson. The Habs just folded their tents.

The media should really start calling him out on it. I think the good news is it's mostly his decision making. I mean, I can't speak to whether his speed will ever be the same, but mostly he's making some terrible first passes. He's fighting it a little and it's probably a combination of the injury and all the hype. Like he's trying to do something amazing rather than just playing.

The decision making will probably come back. I don't know about the skating.

Chip Chipperson 05-09-2013 08:45 PM

Jumping the gun a bit up in this thread OP lol

He came back from an injury that was supposed to take 6 months just to be able to play again.

Players that have had that injury say about a year for full recovery.

If there was any risk of further damaging it, the doctors would not have cleared him. The Sens aren't stupid, they aren't going to risk their 22 year old superstar for 1 playoff run.

Iamok 05-09-2013 08:53 PM

Absolutely. They've said all along that it's going to take time for him to reach 100%.

EddieDingle 05-09-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rattler280 (Post 65728865)
If there was any risk of further damaging it, the doctors would not have cleared him. The Sens aren't stupid, they aren't going to risk their 22 year old superstar for 1 playoff run.

I don't think it's a question of him being rushed back. I can't speak for the OP but that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about how you feel nervous when he plays the puck. Whether it's that first pass out of their zone or a slapshot from the point that might bounce off a Hab and cause a breakaway or 2 on 1... I've been nervous when the puck is on his stick -- that's probably why his minutes were reduced. MacLean was too.

The decision making will come back, though. He's fighting it probably because he feels expected to do something amazing and it ain't there yet.

Push540 05-09-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rals (Post 65726319)
Reduced minutes tonight lackluster player. makes me very worried.

I asked a surgeon this and if he takes care of himself, 100% yes.

OmniSens 05-09-2013 08:56 PM

Holy hell, yes he'll be fine.

IranCondraAffair 05-09-2013 08:58 PM

Selanne said he took over a year to come back. Karlsson will be fine, but we can't expect him to be 'karlsson' in the playoffs for us.

Anaxagoras 05-09-2013 08:58 PM

Honestly, his straight skating speed isn't that laboured, it's any kinds of turns or pivots that are holding him back.

As a result he's not skating at his maximum velocity because he won't be able to make the turns necessary to elude defenders or hit open guys with passes.

It will take time for him to strengthen the Achilles sufficiently for him to perform those high intensity turns and pivots. I think it will take at least a full off season for him to regain that ability. He may be back at full capacity some time in March next year.

Kezia 05-09-2013 08:58 PM

It takes anywhere from 4-7 months, AFTER being able to play again, to be 100%

DylanSensFan 05-09-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rals (Post 65726769)
Right, I'm scared he's doing damage to it.

It is fully healed, no damage can be done. He just needs to keep strengthening and stretching. He will be back 110%.

DylanSensFan 05-09-2013 09:05 PM

I have already seen flashes of Karlsson before injury, so it will not be too long.

NyQuil 05-09-2013 09:05 PM

Guys who had similar surgeries with worse injuries (e.g. Salo and Bieksa) said that it takes months to almost a year before they felt completely normal again.

HavlatMach9 05-09-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanSensFan (Post 65731299)
I have already seen flashes of Karlsson before injury, so it will not be too long.

Yes he's definitely shows a bit of early Karlsson from time to time.

Lenny the Lynx 05-09-2013 09:09 PM

What a dumb thread.
He's playing less than 100%, and doctors have said he isn't doing damage, but fans always want to speculate he is for some reason

salomonster 05-09-2013 09:10 PM

OMG face palm, as if.

L'Aveuglette 05-09-2013 09:11 PM

This thread is lack of rispeck.

JeffMangum 05-09-2013 09:13 PM

He's been back for, what, seven games?

It took Malkin awhile to heal from the achilles tear, but he sure seemed fine last season. This isn't a concussion/broken bone, just a bit of a fluke play that seemed to heal at a very, very quick rate.

Remember, he hasn't played consistently for months, and he hasn't been skating all too long. He's probably a little out of shape right now.

HockeySens 05-09-2013 09:13 PM

Easily yes, IQ, playmaking, vision were all there, only thing he didnt have was explosiveness which is because of lack of strength which can be fixed through off-season training. He is also playing "safer" if I may say that. If karlsson ddint make good passes, good reads,patience or didnt produce points then Id be worried, but he showed that hes more than a fast skating dman, if anything he has improved the way he reads the game and his game(mentally) has improved.