HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Hawks Wild post mortem (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1425829)

Crazy_Ike 05-10-2013 12:06 AM

Hawks Wild post mortem

Now that this series is done and the Wild can head to the MASH unit or triage staging area where they probably belong we can take stock of the performance of the Hawks so far.

Toews/Hossa/Saad: Well, Hossa is playing well. Toews isn't having a good series. I think Koivu did a pretty decent job against him, but they needed to do more than decent to have a chance since they really weren't any kind of threat in return. I think his non-performance offensively kind of dragged Saad down a bit too since he's too inexperienced to be carrying anything himself just yet. They weren't great, but they were good enough. After all, the Wild's top line, matched against them, was absolutely horrible and arguably lost them the series by themselves by non-production. Also, Toews still swears with the camera on him more than the next ten players in the league combined.

Handzus/Kane/Sharp: Sharp and Kane carried two games. Handzus was awful, just awful. Giveaways and poor positioning all over the place. I don't blame him for his craptacular faceoff percentage since the linesmen are virtually randomizing faceoffs in every series since the playoffs started, but everywhere else... well, Sharp and Kane are good enough to play with a pylon out there and they proved it. The two of them were needed to come through with the top line kind of quiet, and they came through.

Shaw/Stalberg/Bickell: Man this is a great energy line. None of them really need a skill guy to make something happen for them. They produced above and beyond what could have been expected of them, cycling and banging until something frees up. Stalberg is so much better at RW, he just seems to see the ice better on that side; I think he likes the shooting angle more. He didn't get rewarded by numbers for some reason but I think the line's goals were a platoon effort regardless. Is there some reason Bickell's jaw/chin takes up two thirds of his face? He certainly did everything we could ask of him. He gets like this, sudden spurts of goalscoring. Key goals, key effort, this line was the best the Hawks had on a consistent basis.

Frolik/Kruger/whoever: Did Carcillo ever see the ice again in game 4 after his idiotic early penalty? Man. But whatever. The line is Frolik and Kruger play defense and keep the puck away for everyone else to get rested. They did this job as well as they could have. Even some flashes of brilliance, Frolik early on and Kruger tonight. I thought Frolik was great. I sure wish Kruger would learn some offensive instincts. :(

The defense: Let's be honest, the Wild were so offensively inept there really wasn't a lot to see. The Hawks always had the puck. All six of them were either strong, or in Roszival's case at least acceptable.

Crawford: He was good enough despite the occasional soft goal. The Wild, like I said, just plain didn't have the players to actually mount a threat. The real test starts next round when it's either Detroit or San Jose. CBC really liked to talk about his gruesome rebounds, I haven't decided if he's doing it on purpose or those giant pads just make the puck bounce that far. A team with more than one scoring threat might make him pay for those, but then maybe not.

On to the next team. Thank god the Canucks got bounced so there's no chance of having to play the Blues or Kings; let's leave the pound your face in teams to the third round if possible. It looks like it will be San Jose unless there's a major Anaheim meltdown. We can beat the Sharks. I think we match up either well, or better, than them in most categories. They aren't going to be able to sit on one line like they could against the hapless Canucks.

Good series but honestly the Wild would have been outmatched even if they were healthy, they weren't even close to that and they were playing a half a dozen players who probably should have been in the AHL still including the goalie! This one wasn't going to be close no matter what.

On to the first real challenge. See you after we win.

http://i.imgur.com/iuI2ukF.jpg

HawksFan74 05-10-2013 12:09 AM

Hey, it's Crazy Ike.. I'm not going to read all that though, I'll just assume it's good.

Blackhawkswincup 05-10-2013 12:11 AM

Wow been forever since I saw you post

MadhouseOnMadison 05-10-2013 12:12 AM

Ike giving Stalberg props? Wtf?

HockeySensible 05-10-2013 12:13 AM

The gif made the thread worth clicking on.

BronYrAur 05-10-2013 12:22 AM

Crawford was Hawks' MVP of the series, no doubt about it. Kane & Sharp 2nd & 3rd stars.

Toews didn't have much production but he had a very good game tonight and it's always good to win when your captain and #1C isn't producing offensively.

Hawks need to shore it up in the D zone, for sure. They still get running around a bit and making dangerous plays instead of just getting the puck out. Though, that's part of what sets them apart, is making those great breakout plays that can be very dangerous plays if you are a little off.

Tayvaan 05-10-2013 12:26 AM

Solid but unspectacular effort from the hawks, they did enough to win handily and I guess you can't ask for more than that. Hope they're prepared to ratchet up the intensity in the next round

ChiGuySez 05-10-2013 12:28 AM

Ill say this about Carcillo... He neutralized the Wilds aggressiveness early when they looked like they wanted to continue from game 3 imo.

Cullksinikers 05-10-2013 12:34 AM

Kruger had a hell of a game. In my opinion, that was his best game in a Hawks sweater. Crawford kept us in that game early. The offense and puck possession game took over and helped us dominate down the stretch.

That series didn't have the feel of a playoff one, but I am sure things will be notched up a few levels with Detroit or San Jose.

xX Hot Fuss 05-10-2013 12:45 AM

Minnesota really turtled whenever they weren't winning. I think thats why the games got so boring (for lack of a better word) tonight and in Games 2+4.

Looking forward to next round though! Very much liking Wild fans by the way. Not snooty or ridiculous like some other fanbases around here.

LarmerSavardSecord 05-10-2013 01:00 AM

Nice summary. I'm not big poster and I had my problems with you in the past over Stalberg, but it's nice to see you back. This board needs smart guys like you. Massivegoonery was carrying the water for too long.

BC Boy 05-10-2013 01:04 AM

Congratulations guys and I hope your Hawks lift the cup again. Yeah, I know, crazy coming from a Canucks fan, but I admire your organization's continuing dedication to a fast, skill-based transition game over mind-numbing and overly defensive play that seems to plague the Western Conference.

Rivet52 05-10-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC Boy (Post 65743319)
Congratulations guys and I hope your Hawks lift the cup again. Yeah, I know, crazy coming from a Canucks fan, but I admire your organization's continuing dedication to a fast, skill-based transition game over mind-numbing and overly defensive play that seems to plague the Western Conference.

Wow. Thanks! :) It's a rare thing to see a Canucks fan such as yourself come in and applaud us. Makes me feel better that there are some knowledgeable and down-to-earth Vancouver fans in existence after all. Like I said, it's a rare sight.

RFIP 05-10-2013 05:36 AM

4 down, 12 to go...

Bubba88 05-10-2013 10:02 AM

wtf? Ike has something good to say about Stalberg?

Krüger showed offensiv instincts, just isn't good enough yet

IU Hawks fan 05-10-2013 10:04 AM

I didn't think Handzus was terrible. He does what I expect of him.

massivegoonery 05-10-2013 04:11 PM

Hey everybody, Ike's back!
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...px-Larry_2.jpg

Tommy Hawk 05-10-2013 09:49 PM

I do not recall crawford letting in any really soft goals. Heck, he only allowed 7 goals in 5 games. a "few" would be at least 3 goals or half the goals scored.

Crawford did very well in all the games. The defense turning the puck over in their own zone and not clearing out the front of the net were the biggest reasons that the Wild scored any goals.

HawksFan74 05-10-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba88 (Post 65752577)
wtf? Ike has something good to say about Stalberg?

Krüger showed offensiv instincts, just isn't good enough yet

I think somebody just hacked his account. :laugh:

LarmerAmonteSeabrook 05-11-2013 12:25 AM

There wasn't much suspense or animosity in this series, so I was the most at-ease while watching these games than I ever have been watching any playoff series. I am looking forward to next series, where we can see our transition-heavy gameplan unleashed again. Detroit or SJ should both present fast match-ups.

giza 05-11-2013 12:25 AM

Postmortem thoughts

The Wild actually try to play a similar game to the Hawks. They simply didn't have the depth, experience or overall skill to do it nearly as well. They had to change their game a bit and be more physical, but this was the perfect opponent for the Hawks to have an easy first round. That said, this opponent did not prepare them for what's coming unless Detroit is the next opponent who, once again, plays a similar style game as the Hawks. It was fine for the Toews' line to not score as long as Koivu's line didn't as well which is exactly what happened. The Hawks have more scoring depth and better lines and the top lines more or less canceled each other out which worked out best for the Hawks, ultimately. Getting Bolland back healthy would help a lot even though he still doesn't do well in the face off circle. I could see Sharp-Bolland-Harp as a premiere shut down line and let Saad-Toews-Kane run with the offense in a series down the road. Keep the 3rd line as is and put the big Slovak on the 4th, I guess. I have to say though that defense wins Cups more often than not and the Hawks team D is good enough to win it this year. Roszival was an outstandingly quiet acquisition, Leddy has progressed and if Hjallmarsson can start to emulate Kronwall just a little, they'll be ready for all suiters. I hope Detroit takes out Anaheim as Anaheim probably has a lot of confidence after taking all 6 points from the Hawks in the regular season. I still think the Kings are the team to beat in the West.