HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   NHL working out details to have its players in Sochi (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1426003)

LadyStanley 04-06-2013 10:29 PM

More meetings on NHLers to Olympics 4/12

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comme...ostove-tonight

Starting about 6:00, panel talks about Sochi Olympics. Not a "done deal" by any means. CBC's sponsors getting very concerned.

There's a meeting scheduled for 4/12. IIHF, IOC, NHL, NHLPA involved. "That's when the insurance $$ is dropped."

Players looking for IOC to pay insurance. Insurance bill for Crosby, Perry, Getzlaf based on guaranteed salary for just those 3 guys is ~$800k. Hundreds of millions of NHL contracted salary involved in probable participants for Olympics. Russians had no insurance coverage for their camp.

There's also 700 guests of the players with no ground transportation to venue. (35 minute walk in snow? I don't think so.) Compared to insurance, this sounds like a relatively simple fix.

EbencoyE 04-07-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 63470273)
http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comme...ostove-tonight

Starting about 6:00, panel talks about Sochi Olympics. Not a "done deal" by any means. CBC's sponsors getting very concerned.

There's a meeting scheduled for 4/12. IIHF, IOC, NHL, NHLPA involved. "That's when the insurance $$ is dropped."

Players looking for IOC to pay insurance. Insurance bill for Crosby, Perry, Getzlaf based on guaranteed salary for just those 3 guys is ~$800k. Hundreds of millions of NHL contracted salary involved in probable participants for Olympics. Russians had no insurance coverage for their camp.

There's also 700 guests of the players with no ground transportation to venue. (35 minute walk in snow? I don't think so.) Compared to insurance, this sounds like a relatively simple fix.

It snows in Sochi?

Wonder if the CBC has enough pull with the NHL to cause any sway on their part. NBC probably does, but NBC probably doesn't care enough. Hockey isn't that big of a ratings draw down here. As long as figure skating is fine, NBC is probably happy.

Jussi 04-07-2013 12:48 PM

I was under the impression the national federations pay for the insurances? That's how it is at Worlds.

Watch for the Yeti 04-07-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EbencoyE (Post 63483335)
It snows in Sochi?

Wonder if the CBC has enough pull with the NHL to cause any sway on their part. NBC probably does, but NBC probably doesn't care enough. Hockey isn't that big of a ratings draw down here. As long as figure skating is fine, NBC is probably happy.

I'm pretty sure USA hockey was the biggest draw at the Olympics television wise. Not to mention 32M viewers watched the Gold Medal game.

Kane One 04-07-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 (Post 63516325)
I'm pretty sure USA hockey was the biggest draw at the Olympics television wise. Not to mention 32M viewers watched the Gold Medal game.

I think figure skating was bigger overall.

Jussi 04-08-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker McDonald (Post 63535309)

If there were an American medal contender, hockey wouldn't stand a chance.

kdb209 04-08-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker McDonald (Post 63535309)

Figure skating is a bigger overall draw - only the Gold medal hockey game pulled in large ratings.

In a rare reversal, the Men's figure skating finals (w/ USA Gold medalist Evan Lysacek) drew higher ratings than the women's (with no US contenders) - 28.4 million, 16.2/25 vs 25 million, 14.6/22.

The USA/Canada Gold Medal game pulled in 27.6M viewers - higher than the Women's figure skating, but less than the Men's.

Fugu 04-08-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 63537319)
Figure skating is a bigger overall draw - only the Gold medal hockey game pulled in large ratings.

In a rare reversal, the Men's figure skating finals (w/ USA Gold medalist Evan Lysacek) drew higher ratings than the women's (with no US contenders) - 28.4 million, 16.2/25 vs 25 million, 14.6/22.

The USA/Canada Gold Medal game pulled in 27.6M viewers - higher than the Women's figure skating, but less than the Men's.

Not targeted at you, but this is almost splitting hairs in the larger context of whether or not men's hockey can be a huge draw. It's right up there with the historically largest ratings draw-- in the US. I also can see why CBC and their sponsors would be concerned because the combined US and Canada ratings were quite large.

Kane One 04-08-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 63537319)

I know. That's what I said. ;)

Dado 04-08-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 63537539)
Not targeted at you, but this is almost splitting hairs in the larger context of whether or not men's hockey can be a huge draw. It's right up there with the historically largest ratings draw-- in the US. I also can see why CBC and their sponsors would be concerned because the combined US and Canada ratings were quite large.

I think one difference is that the figure skating will draw comparable numbers with a wide range of contending skaters, whereas the hockey game will take a huge ratings hit if either Canadian or US teams don't make it to the final game, and may well get near-zero ratings (in NA) if both happen to miss the final.

Fugu 04-08-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dado (Post 63538665)
I think one difference is that the figure skating will draw comparable numbers with a wide range of contending skaters, whereas the hockey game will take a huge ratings hit if either Canadian or US teams don't make it to the final game, and may well get near-zero ratings (in NA) if both happen to miss the final.

Of course, but the odds are very good. Realistically, the top four are Sweden, US, Canada, and Russia. Finland often gives everyone a run for their money. Czech Rep has declined. With that said, I think the sponsors and broadcasters prefer the option over one where the NHLers aren't in the mix at all.

Dado 04-08-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 63538937)
Of course, but the odds are very good.

2010 had both.

2006 had neither.

2002 had both.

1998 had neither.

Looks like a coin toss to me...? Plus the pattern says "neither"...? I certainly do agree that broadcasters want the big names there, regardless.

Fugu 04-08-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dado (Post 63539403)
2010 had both.

2006 had neither.

2002 had both.

1998 had neither.

Looks like a coin toss to me...? Plus the pattern says "neither"...? I certainly do agree that broadcasters want the big names there, regardless.

I don't like calling it a pattern (eh, trend) with four data points. :D

Especially since the mix of NHLers by country has changed quite significantly from the 90s to the 2002+ era.

We agree on the final sentence.

Dado 04-08-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 63539531)
I don't like calling it a pattern (eh, trend) with four data points. :D

I prefer to think of it as using 100% of the available data. :P

There is also the "continental" pattern that suggests neither Canada nor US will make the gold medal game, so technically, we're now up to 8 data points. :)

Fugu 04-08-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dado (Post 63540117)
I prefer to think of it as using 100% of the available data. :P

There is also the "continental" pattern that suggests neither Canada nor US will make the gold medal game, so technically, we're now up to 8 data points. :)

The NHL should only go to NA-hosted Olympics, which they might actually prefer. :laugh:

Anyway, the insurance costs may become the bigger issue.

LadyStanley 04-08-2013 05:06 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420229

Canadian PM Harper asks Bettman to allow "NHL stars" to participate in Sochi.

Dado 04-08-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 63540323)
Anyway, the insurance costs may become the bigger issue.

I've heard all kinds of crazy numbers - is there a reliable estimate on what the insurance bill would actually be? What's your sense?

LadyStanley 04-08-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dado (Post 63568479)
I've heard all kinds of crazy numbers - is there a reliable estimate on what the insurance bill would actually be? What's your sense?

Capgeek the top 23 Canadian and 23 US players, the top Russians, Swedes, ... and add all their guaranteed $$s for the remainder of contract.

My guess is in the tens of millions (for all NHLers) -- if the $800k for Crosby, Perry and Getzlaf alone is accurate.

Mightygoose 04-08-2013 09:26 PM

Hockey Canada expects a decision by the NHL before the men's worlds May 3-19

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420249

But not a deadline.

Section337 04-10-2013 12:25 PM

Some thoughts from Elliotte Friedman:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ome-cheap.html

Quote:

...For that whole (Canadian) team, you're looking at $700 million. So if you use the conservative estimate of 0.3 per cent to protect these contracts, the figure is $2.1 million to insure Team Canada alone. It sounds ridiculous and it is possible that figure is too high. It's never that simple when it comes to insurance since there are so many variables. Because many contracts need coverage, there could be some kind of group discount.

Also, it will depend on how much of each deal everyone wants to protect. Will it be everything? Just a certain term? Some who went overseas during the NHL lockout chose that method. Others who may not yet have signed extensions -- Bergeron, Giroux and Letang could do it this summer, Toews after next season -- may want to insure future earnings.

This doesn't include summer camps. The various federations tend to say the cost shouldn't be prohibitive because they are relaxed environments, but the insurance companies don't buy it...

LadyStanley 04-12-2013 04:45 PM

dshoalts 1:34pm via TweetDeck Was told player insurance estimates received by NHL, NHLPA, IIHF, IOC today run to the $10-million ballpark. Travel is "$2-million-plus."

IIHFHockey 12:14pm via Web
IIHF President after today's Olympic meetings in NY: "Good, constructive meeting. We took a step forward, but still homework to do."
IIHFHockey 12:16pm via Web
Fasel: "I remain cautiously optimistic, still believe a deal can be in place before the World Championship. Logistics remains main issue."
IIHFHockey 12:17pm via Web
Fasel: "Discussions with some stakeholders will continue next week in Sochi at IIHF U18 Worlds which is the Olympic test event."
IIHFHockey 12:19pm via Web
Fasel: "The meeting today lasted four hours and progress was made. But as I said before, we are not there yet." /END

LadyStanley 04-13-2013 08:36 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420576

Daly statement
Quote:

"We had a good working session and were able to discuss all of the issues involved in the possibility of having NHL Players participate in the 2014 Sochi Games," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement following the meeting. "The parties are committed to continuing to work through the process, but there remains work to be done on all sides."

Kane One 04-17-2013 11:56 AM

Could these outdoor games be a good sign for participation in the Olympics? The outdoor games are apparently going to be when the NHL is usually on their All-Star break.

tony d 04-17-2013 12:34 PM

Hoping this gets resolved soon but I think that we will see NHLers participating in the Olympics again this year.

RJ8812 04-17-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker McDonald (Post 64116937)
Could these outdoor games be a good sign for participation in the Olympics? The outdoor games are apparently going to be when the NHL is usually on their All-Star break.

There is no ASG during Olympics years. They're actually before and after when the Olympic break would be

The Olympics start Feb 7th and go until the 23rd.

These oudoor games will take place late January and early March.

So it's a good sign