HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Thoughts on Stewart now (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1426639)

Steve Doan 05-11-2013 12:24 AM

Thoughts on Stewart now

Thoughts?

bleedblue1223 05-11-2013 12:25 AM

Don't think anyone should invest in a Stewart jersey.

HooliganX2 05-11-2013 12:27 AM

Honestly I don't think many people are going to change theirs he is just a streaky player. When he's hot he's a difference maker when he's not he is invisible.

I personally would like to see him back for the right price. If he has to be included in a trade for a true impact player then so be it.

bleedblue1223 05-11-2013 12:29 AM

Yep, he's either really, really good or just there.

MattyMo35 05-11-2013 12:30 AM

You can't have that poor of a showing in the playoffs and expect a fat contract off regular season's(well, like 10 games) worth of work. He didn't do anything all series. Nothing.

superblues 05-11-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 65812933)
Don't think anyone should invest in a Stewart jersey.

But it would look sooooo good next to my Boyes, Brewer, and EJ jerseys. :D

DeuceNine 05-11-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve French (Post 65812905)
Thoughts?

Disappearing act worthy of Craig Janney. At least Janney had some assists. Stewie is frustrating because he is a useful second liner, but as we all know usefulness is ultimately judged by playoff performances. Stewart is a soon ex-Blue under those standards. Too bad, like the guy.

Steve Doan 05-11-2013 12:33 AM

I would package berglund and stewart for whatever at this point. Im tired of question marks on our team.

BleedBlue247 05-11-2013 12:55 AM

Bye Bye Stewart.

erderuft 05-11-2013 12:59 AM

Invisible the entire series. He had some nice chances in this last game, I guess. One hit the post. But none of his chances amounted to anything. Too little, nothing, nada. We really needed Stewart (and his entire line) to be a difference maker tonight.

erderuft 05-11-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 (Post 65813929)
Bye Bye Stewart.

I wouldn't mind seeing him dealt either, but we really need his toughness and size. Too bad he's as streaky as he is when it comes to scoring.

oPlaiD 05-11-2013 01:06 AM

I have not changed my opinion of him at any point during this season.

He's not a player that fits the Blues, he isn't a good possession player and his goal scoring ability isn't good enough to justify keeping him on the roster at the prices he will likely command.

He always seems like he should be doing more; really he just isn't a smart hockey player. He doesn't know what to do with the puck when he gets it and he doesn't know how to position himself properly to utilize his physical gifts.

MattyMo35 05-11-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oPlaiD (Post 65814223)
I have not changed my opinion of him at any point during this season.

He's not a player that fits the Blues, he isn't a good possession player and his goal scoring ability isn't good enough to justify keeping him on the roster at the prices he will likely command.

He always seems like he should be doing more; really he just isn't a smart hockey player. He doesn't know what to do with the puck when he gets it and he doesn't know how to position himself properly to utilize his physical gifts.

I think that's his biggest challenge. He does not seem to understand the system at all. He's got all the physical tools in the world, and if you put him in a system like the Pens or Flyers, he would rack up points because he has good speed and a great shot. He just doesn't seem to understand where he's supposed to be, or what he's supposed to do with the puck when he gets it. I really like the guy, and I admire the hell out of his work ethic getting into great shape in the offseason, but his lack of high level hockey experience at a young age really shows when he's counted on to perform in tight checking games.

Robb_K 05-11-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erderuft (Post 65814185)
I wouldn't mind seeing him dealt either, but we really need his toughness and size. Too bad he's as streaky as he is when it comes to scoring.

He doesn't use his toughness and size in crucial games, so, I say, trade him and replace him with someone who plays hard in crucial games. He fights once in a while, and it adds to "team toughness". But his lack of playing 100% in crucial games is bad for a team's comraderie and confidence. Other players, who play all out have had to cover for his mistakes/lack of effort. That has to hurt the team "all for one" feeling.

That hurts a team, at least subconsciously. Better to clear out all players who "coast" to some extent. McDonald will not be re-signed. He's lost a couple steps, and so, is not very effective on offence (that used to make up for his being a liability on defence. Now, overall, he hurts this team. Langenbrunner and Nichol (and probably Leopold) will be gone.

The Blues don't need to get rid of the bulk of their core. They just need to add a couple proven (relatively young) scorers (2 centres or one centre and one scoring winger)(who can also play the 2-way game), and, probably trade Halak, to use his salary to help sign the RFAs, and partly go towards adding the scorers. Too bad they only had the proceeds of 3 home playoff games to help bring in money. Last season they had 5, and that wasn't enough to allow them to sign a defenceman or forward.

But, it's clear that putting enough money into salary to truly compete for The Stanley Cup, and go through at LEAST 2-3 rounds in the playoffs (6-10 home playoff games), is the way to go for ownership, rather than continuing to be very frugal, and never really having a chance to get past Round 1.

canucks95 05-11-2013 01:39 AM

He was having some bad luck the past few games, and I don't think he was best utilized with Sobotka and McDonald and I was surprised Hitchcock didn't make a change there. I think he would've been more effective with Perron and Berglund.

That said he should've been better. If you guys don't want him I'm sure many other teams will be all over him.

STLBLUES44 05-11-2013 01:42 AM

didn't like him when he was scoring... don't like him when he's not... to weak along the boards and an absolute liability in our own zone... He might be the softest "powerforward" in the league except after the whistle lol

BleedinBlueSince1972 05-11-2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve French (Post 65813223)
I would package berglund and stewart for whatever at this point. Im tired of question marks on our team.

I'm tired of our top 3 lines all being of 2 line caliber right now. So a change to add a sniper and a passer to make a difference and strike fear into the opposition. It's time Armstrong.

Both Berglund and Stewart are RFA along with Alex Pie and Shatty right now, just thought I would throw that into the discussion.

I'm sure Armstrong will listen to offers for Stewart, Berglund, Perron and Oshie and Halak over the summer. Of the Forwards I mentioned, I'd part with Berglund and Stewart and my feelings on Halak are well documented.

Of course Stillman has to sign off on any of this. I won't hold my breath.

BleedBlue247 05-11-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erderuft (Post 65814185)

Toughness is nice at all, but he's too streaky to be on this team. I think guys like Sobotka and Schwartz proved you don't need a ton of size to be tough.

SirPaste 05-11-2013 08:43 AM

Pretty much feel the same as all of you, would be surprised if he is still here next year.

LA_Viking 05-11-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooliganX2 (Post 65812981)
Honestly I don't think many people are going to change theirs he is just a streaky player. When he's hot he's a difference maker when he's not he is invisible.

You guys have your own Kopitar. Congrats. ;)

Steve Doan 05-11-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA_Viking (Post 65821225)
You guys have your own Kopitar. Congrats. ;)

Kopitar= Stanley cup Champ, Stewart= ?

Alklha 05-11-2013 11:20 AM

He is a streaky player, if he gets hot at the right time then that is fantastic. He didn't.

If we want Stewart in the team he needs to be more physical when he isn't contributing to the score sheet. If he was more physical, then there is no issue at all with his streaky scoring. Last night, he had the chance to hit Doughty with about 12 seconds left in the second, and just skated up to him. I'm not blaming him for the goal, but if he even looks committed to finishing his damn check then who knows what Doughty does with the outlet pass.

Right now he is worth $4m. I wouldn't give him any more.

PocketNines 05-11-2013 04:09 PM

I'd have traded Berglund and Stewart for Bobby Ryan, who would have finished enough to get by the Kings, at the beginning of last season.

Hopefully Stewart won't be on the team next year, some way shape or form. The guy is an invisible bum when it matters, period.

BlueDream 05-11-2013 05:29 PM

Stewart is one of my favorite players, but I don't see him back. He's just too inconsistent. There's no way the Blues give him a long-term contract after that series he just had where he was one of our worst players. And I highly doubt they will give him another prove-it contract since he already got that. The bottom line is he just can't be counted on, and moving forward we just can't afford to keep carrying guys like that. I think at least 1, and maybe 2, of Stewart/Perron/Berglund will be gone this offseason. Those 3 are the most inconsistent and frustrating players to watch on this entire team. But Stewart when he isn't scoring probably makes the least impact, and really did not show up at all against LA this series.

I think after the regular season he had, by leading our team in points, his value will still be high enough to get something solid in return. And none of our forwards not named Steen had good scoring stats in this series, so his trade value should not be effected much.

He does have size - even though he fails to really use it which is mind-boggling - but that can be replaced by Dmitrij Jaskin.

One thing I will miss about him is his toughness, he's a pretty good fighter. However, there are ways to replace that. Whether it is acquiring another "power forward" type in a trade, free agency (Horton, Clarkson, Clowe, Torres, Ryan Jones, Morrow, Penner, Armstrong are all UFA's - just throwing names out there if we need grit), or we could sign a 4th-line tough guy (Orr, McGrattan, Hendricks, Hordichuk are UFA's) to really handle the fighting. Rotate him with Cracknell, maybe sometimes experiment with Cracknell on the 3rd line, and we'll still have Reaves but he can also focus on rounding out his game some more. Just throwing names out that are available, not suggesting anyone. But there are ways to add this aspect to our roster is what I'm trying to say.

illninofan* 05-11-2013 11:20 PM

There was still part of me holding out hope that he'd show up.

He didn't, I'm done with him. Move him for what you can.