HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Possible role players for next season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1427001)

The Nuge 05-11-2013 06:28 PM

Possible role players for next season
 
First off, I know there's a free agent thread. This was already approved.

We all know our secondary guys need a major makeover, but with how top heavy our team is, we can't necessarily have a Brandon Prust making $2.5 million to play on the 4th line. The solution would be to get some "unsung heroes" from other teams who could potentially be had for much less. There are lots of guys on the free agent market that still have potential. For the sake of this staying on topic, lets say guys that can potentially be had for under $2 million only, and no guys like Bickell, Clifford, etc.

a couple of mine are

Patrick Bordeleau - He's a hulk that can throw 'em with anyone, but he's not just a "goon". He lead Colorado in hits this season, and had nearly DOUBLE any of our forwards

Kyle Chipchura - Possible 4th line center. Gordon would be the ideal guy from Phoenix, but he's likely not going to be available or cheap. Although he's not the best faceoff guy, he is a decent 4th line center and can contribute a bit offensively. He's also a good character guy, and willing to drop the glove (Bordeleau - Chipchura - Brown would be a nightmare to play against)

Thomas Greiss - With everyone talking about Khudobin, I feel as though Greiss could fly under the radar a bit and be picked up quite reasonably. He's performed very well with San Jose and is just entering his prime. He's the exact type of guy we should be looking at to push Dubnyk.



Thoughts? Who else is there?

Mr Sakich 05-11-2013 06:45 PM

Dustin Penner is an underrated defensive player. Pay him 2 mill and put him on a line with Horcoff and MPS and you have a decent shutdown line.

OilDrop37 05-11-2013 07:40 PM

Still think we have a need for a Brian Boyle. 1.7M cap hit, UFA in 2014-15.

145 hits
56% in the FO
6'7
28 years old.
3rd Most minutes SH on the Rangers

Lawson624 05-11-2013 08:04 PM

Ben lovejoy and Grant Clitsome could both come lower than 2 million and would give us an above average 3rd pairing.

The Nuge 05-11-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson624 (Post 65846511)
Ben lovejoy and Grant Clitsome could both come lower than 2 million and would give us an above average 3rd pairing.

Lovejoy is a guy I'm interested in. He's played a fairly significant role for Anaheim

Petro Points 05-11-2013 09:34 PM

Clutterbuck...
Minny has no cap room to sign him... And we are not in the same division anymore..

Hartikainen for Clutterbuck?

McDNicks17 05-11-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petro Points (Post 65853543)
Clutterbuck...
Minny has no cap room to sign him... And we are not in the same division anymore..

Hartikainen for Clutterbuck?

I think you would have to add one of our 2nd rounders at a minimum to even get talks started.

The Perfect Human* 05-11-2013 09:50 PM

Clitsome is a great choice. Another player is Beagle out in WAS.

Bryanbryoil 05-11-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnicks17 (Post 65854351)
I think you would have to add one of our 2nd rounders at a minimum to even get talks started.

What could we offer him so that the compensation is only a 2nd rounder in 2014? I'd definitely be willing to go there. He'd be a staple on our 3rd line for years to come.

Bryanbryoil 05-11-2013 10:55 PM

I didn't see much of the St. Louis series, but is Cracknell worthwhile in a 4th line role?

Musicman798 05-12-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 65856897)
I didn't see much of the St. Louis series, but is Cracknell worthwhile in a 4th line role?

Watching that series, I want St. Louis' whole 4th line.

oilinblood 05-12-2013 12:24 AM

some good choices. I hadnt even thought about Greiss.

wolfpackxvx 05-12-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicman798 (Post 65859339)
Watching that series, I want St. Louis' whole 4th line.

I agree 100% the way they sustain pressure in the offensive zone was incredibly entertaining. I personally think Reaves is the player off the line I enjoyed the most.

Bryanbryoil 05-12-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicman798 (Post 65859339)
Watching that series, I want St. Louis' whole 4th line.

Reaves is a gem, I didn't watch enough to key in on Cracknell, but Reaves is one tough hombre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpackxvx (Post 65860231)
I agree 100% the way they sustain pressure in the offensive zone was incredibly entertaining. I personally think Reaves is the player off the line I enjoyed the most.

Yeah Reaves is a force out there.

oilers2k10 05-12-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 65856897)
I didn't see much of the St. Louis series, but is Cracknell worthwhile in a 4th line role?

Cracknell? That guy is a Cracka!

WaitingForUser 05-12-2013 12:58 AM

I'd want Sobotka off STL if we're talking role players.

McDNicks17 05-12-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enlighten (Post 65860375)
I'd want Sobotka off STL if we're talking role players.

I'd give up some good pieces to get him too.

Exactly the type of player we could use.

I am the Liquor 05-12-2013 02:15 AM

Raffi Torres please.

Mowzie 05-12-2013 02:40 AM

I really think buying out Horcoff needs to be considered. It's not far fetched to assume we could bring in 3 players, essentially a whole line of quality players at his cap hit of 5.5 million. Buy out him and Belanger and that's 7.25 million.

I know there are lots of arguments to made about Horcoff and his intangibles, but the numbers don't lie, he is at best a 3rd line center, and with a declining cap, even his 4m salary is hard to justify at this stage when there are 2 million dollar players out there who can do his job.

I'd love to offersheet Clutterbuck and sign Bordeleau, add Boyle and you've got about 11 more hits per game from your bottom six.

Mentallydull 05-12-2013 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Sakich (Post 65841505)
Dustin Penner is an underrated defensive player. Pay him 2 mill and put him on a line with Horcoff and MPS and you have a decent shutdown line.

The guy has a history of lazy ineffective play though. He had it here and he still has it in LA (not including the playoffs).

Our team isn't strong enough that we can afford to bench Penner for 50+ games per year then just bring him out for the playoffs.

thinlizzy 05-12-2013 03:15 AM

Penner produced here when we sucked pretty bad. 25 goals with basically no help. Give him an offer sheet and I think he would be one player that would come here.

I like Clutterbuck in that he plays with grit. Not fighting grit but hit grit.

Chris Stewart is another guy that is well rounded that I think we need.

I think we could pry Steve Ott out of Buffalo

Mentallydull 05-12-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinlizzy (Post 65862487)
Penner produced here when we sucked pretty bad. 25 goals with basically no help. Give him an offer sheet and I think he would be one player that would come here.

I like Clutterbuck in that he plays with grit. Not fighting grit but hit grit.

Chris Stewart is another guy that is well rounded that I think we need.

I think we could pry Steve Ott out of Buffalo

I dunno man, he has 37 TOTAL points over the past 3 years (117 games played) on a good team with good linemates.

He has only played in 117 because he has been benched so often, not just because of injury.

I am the Liquor 05-12-2013 03:46 AM

No sense even talking about Penner as long as Mact is gm.

Bryanbryoil 05-12-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 65862673)
No sense even talking about Penner as long as Mact is gm.

Good call, they can't stand each other.

JJTopper 05-12-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 65861723)
Raffi Torres please.

100% on board with this. We need someone who can instill fear in opponents and chip in a few goals while he does it. I would assume he re-ups with San Jose though. Bleh


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.