HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   JVR or Seguin? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1427315)

Leafs For Life* 05-12-2013 09:30 AM

JVR or Seguin?

Simple. One's a LW, one's a RW (no indication of switching back to centre). JVR is a playoff performer, Seguin only has points in 4 of his 25 games. Boston fans say he has a better defensive game now than before but I see it as more of a product of Selke Bergeron. Close PPG %s. Your choice of these 2nd overalls?

bobbyflex 05-12-2013 09:31 AM

the non-leaf one wins

broad 05-12-2013 09:32 AM

JVR is a better player now but let's give Seguin another 3 years to figure it out, just like JVR had.

JVR's career high in points is 40. Seguin's is 67.

doubledown99 05-12-2013 09:38 AM

Seguin is going to make a lot of people look stupid very soon. Both are good players but I think Seguin will be the better player going forward. I think he's a better (and a bit smarter) Duchene. Duchene struggled in his 3rd year as well.....

Frank Drebin 05-12-2013 09:45 AM

Seguin, not close.

Not close at all.

FrozenJagrt 05-12-2013 10:01 AM

Which one do I prefer? JVR. Because he's a Leaf and I'm a Leafs fan, and because he's a big bodied winger who drives the net, is strong along the boards, throws some hits, is good offensively and defensively. Plays the kind of game I like.

Who is better? Seguin.

Paradoc 05-12-2013 10:36 AM

Homer vote JVR, but its obviously Seguin. Though, love JVR game style.

Chieftans22* 05-12-2013 10:39 AM

Seguin easily. Having a bad year and it's on par with JVR's career year so far.

3 years younger, lead team in points/goals as a 20 year old, almost 30 goals(29) in his sophomore season, etc. etc.

NEC

BudMovin* 05-12-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyflex (Post 65866587)
the non-leaf one wins

Well, he should win. This poll would be even more of a beat-down last year when JVR was on the Flyers.

marioni 05-12-2013 10:41 AM

Seguin

Trap Jesus 05-12-2013 10:48 AM

Thanks for that very unbiased comparison. One important thing you forgot to mention though was that JVR had an amazing 15 blocked shots this year compared to a paltry 6 blocked shots from Seguin.

Lebanese Leaf 05-12-2013 10:52 AM

Leaf fan saying Seguin.

Pi 05-12-2013 10:53 AM

In the playoffs? JvR. The guy has showed up every game, upped his physical play, stays in front of the net, and battles hard.

For the regular season, Seguin. Not as much intensity in the playoffs and Seguin can use his speed well in the regular season.

Hockey IQ...they both need to get better.

Finnish your Czech 05-12-2013 10:56 AM

Seguin always. He's a few years younger too.

Anth93 05-12-2013 10:59 AM

Well maybe I'm too focused in on this playoff series, but JVR please.

Count Von Grabo* 05-12-2013 11:05 AM

Seguin

Dellstrom 05-12-2013 11:08 AM

Seguin had a horrible year this year and had the same amount of points as JvR.

sharks9 05-12-2013 11:34 AM

Easily Seguin, already better than JVR and he's 3 years younger.

Lion 05-12-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaffan16 (Post 65866563)
Simple. One's a LW, one's a RW (no indication of switching back to centre). JVR is a playoff performer, Seguin only has points in 4 of his 25 games. Boston fans say he has a better defensive game now than before but I see it as more of a product of Selke Bergeron. Close PPG %s. Your choice of these 2nd overalls?

JVR has 18 points in 44 career playoff games... Yeah he had 1 playoff run where he was hot for 5 games but that doesn't make him a "playoff performer".

I'd take Seguin because hes already put up better numbers, hes younger and has more upside.

Fearless Leaf* 05-12-2013 12:11 PM

A little too early to tell in my opinion but I don't these two are as far apart some people seem to think and I don't think they will be far apart in the future as well( regardless of their age difference).

I would prefer Seguin slightly over JVR because he can play C position but otherwise JVR is a solid player as well and he is being heavily underrated if people think he can't be compared with Seguin at this moment.

Just my two cents.

Fearless Leaf* 05-12-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharks9 (Post 65870379)
Easily Seguin, already better than JVR and he's 3 years younger.

I would argue that, he is not EASILY better than JVR.

Mainehockey33 05-12-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf (Post 65871545)
I would argue that, he is not EASILY better than JVR.

Please do

iPunch 05-12-2013 12:58 PM

Pretty hard to argue against JVR during the playoffs.

Fearless Leaf* 05-12-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 (Post 65871963)
Please do

Well for a start, just as how some people said this Seguin's third full year in the league, You can also argue that this is JVR third full year in the league as well( remember he broke into the league after 2 years of development).

Secondly, JVR has shown very solid progression playing on 3rd and 4th line on Flyers as opposed to Seguin playing on Bruins first line. Seguin did have a solid year last year but as you can JVR was also on a verge of having of a very good season if it hadn't for his injuries( I believe he had like 16 points in 24 games last year) and then he got a foot injury and struggled a little.

This year was his first full season with some elite talent to play alongside him and he did a solid job by producing 18 goals and 32 points, same as Seguin.

With that being said, I would say Seguin is and has still been a better player offenisvely but not by a wide margin.

And lastly, when you factor in size, physicality, and defensively play, I would give the nod to JVR because even though he is not a gritty or physical player for his size, he does use it to his advantage in front of the net, plays a more physical game than Seguin, and he is also quite solid defensively and plays on the PK regularly( something I haven't seen at all from Seguin from my viewings).

Again, I don't think it wrong to say to say Seguin isn't the better player but easily or AINEC shouldn't be used right now.

Mainehockey33 05-12-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf (Post 65874081)
Well for a start, just as how some people said this Seguin's third full year in the league, You can also argue that this is JVR third full year in the league as well( remember he broke into the league after 2 years of development).

Secondly, JVR has shown very solid progression playing on 3rd and 4th line on Flyers as opposed to Seguin playing on Bruins first line. Seguin did have a solid year last year but as you can JVR was also on a verge of having of a very good season if it hadn't for his injuries( I believe he had like 16 points in 24 games last year) and then he got a foot injury and struggled a little.

This year was his first full season with some elite talent to play alongside him and he did a solid job by producing 18 goals and 32 points, same as Seguin.

With that being said, I would say Seguin is and has still been a better player offenisvely but not by a wide margin.

And lastly, when you factor in size, physicality, and defensively play, I would give the nod to JVR because even though he is not a gritty or physical player for his size, he does use it to his advantage in front of the net, plays a more physical game than Seguin, and he is also quite solid defensively and plays on the PK regularly( something I haven't seen at all from Seguin from my viewings).

Again, I don't think it wrong to say to say Seguin isn't the better player but easily or AINEC shouldn't be used right now.

I don't know how good JVR is defensively but Seguin has turned into a really good back checker. Seguin also started on the fourth line at a younger age.

It's JVR's 4th year in the league and he's 3 years older then Seguin.He's also never scored over 40 points, although I think he would have if this was a regular season.

JVR wil be a good goal scorer but I think Seguin will be quite a bit better in his prime.