HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   OT: Any way to turn off the video ads on this site? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1427379)

Jeff Lebowski 05-12-2013 12:56 PM

Any way to turn off the video ads on this site?

It was bad enough with the lottery ads that would turn on whenever I accidentally scroll the mouse over it, but now they have video ads that play every time you open a new webpage. I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the ad and mute it. It's driving me crazy. If there is no way to turn it off then I'm done with this site.

McRpro 05-12-2013 01:00 PM

I disabled Javascript. Screws up other things but no BS video adds playing anymore ><

Koto 05-12-2013 01:07 PM

this is the most ******** thing ever.

Jeff Lebowski 05-12-2013 01:08 PM

Awesome, that worked. Thanks Rpro.

Wretched Oil 05-12-2013 01:24 PM

Thanks as well, those ads make this place like 118th Ave

dem 05-12-2013 01:27 PM

I was forced to use an ad blocker.. Which I wanted to avoid because I understand websites need ad revenue.

The video ads are absolutely ridiculous here.

Wretched Oil 05-12-2013 01:31 PM

Ya on second thought, this is BS.

Nice timing though, put these intrusive ads up during the playoffs when things are busy.

I wonder when marketing advertisers/clients will figure out that pissing off consumers with annoyances doesn't work in their favour.

I'll be here less, and I know that means nothing.

40oz 05-12-2013 02:19 PM

yup. *******.

If you didnt want me to use it, you wouldnt have allowed such invasive ads.

edit: apparently the name of the ad'block'ing app is a bad word.

McDNicks17 05-12-2013 02:41 PM

Being a sponsor allows for an ad-free option(among a bunch of other benefits).

Hockey Buddha 05-12-2013 02:48 PM

No need for sound on this site. Mute your computer. I mean, become a sponsor.

IBleedOil247 05-12-2013 02:50 PM

The video adds are the dumbest thing ever. Ever time you go to the next page on the thread they start over even after you mute...

Im not gonna pay to use a website to have no adds, I just wont use the website anymore

The Bored Man 05-12-2013 02:54 PM

Get ad block for your browser. Haven't had to deal with the dumb ads here for years.

OilerNut* 05-12-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bored Man (Post 65877763)
Get ad block for your browser. Haven't had to deal with the dumb ads here for years.

I had to finally installed it and use it, and I hate having extra addons on my browser. But this site forced me to do it.

Vdhawan89 05-12-2013 05:14 PM

It is the ****ing worst. Really intrusive and obnoxious.

OneMoreAstronaut 05-12-2013 05:49 PM

******* Plus for Firefox.

edit: Ha, what? "Ad block" with no space is filtered out?

Dooman 05-12-2013 07:11 PM

For Google Chrome users :

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d.../related?hl=en

Starbuds 05-12-2013 07:17 PM

When was the last time I saw an ad on my computer? Years ago. Ad Block Plus, Brahs.

The Nuge 05-12-2013 07:37 PM

Just go on the mobile site. I can't think of that last time I used my computer on here. It's really not that much to be a sponsor either and then you don't have to worry about it (I have it mostly for the extra 200 PMs)

missinthejets 05-12-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dem (Post 65874485)
I was forced to use an ad blocker.. Which I wanted to avoid because I understand websites need ad revenue.

The video ads are absolutely ridiculous here.

same here, i never use an ad blocker because I'm ok with ads showing up... until they become autoplaying videos. Then it's forcing me to use an adblocker so that my browsing experience isn't ruined by audio playing when it was never requested.

Hoogaar23 05-12-2013 08:57 PM

If any of you are advertisers, know this: any company that throws those annoying ads at me loses my business if they had it (and are guaranteed to not get it if they didn't) Start blaring an ad for Gillette, you go on my blacklist and next time around I buy Schick. I'm petulant that way and get mild amusement enacting my silent protests at the grocery store.

Wretched Oil 05-12-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 (Post 65903313)
If any of you are advertisers, know this: any company that throws those annoying ads at me loses my business if they had it (and are guaranteed to not get it if they didn't) Start blaring an ad for Gillette, you go on my blacklist and next time around I buy Schick. I'm petulant that way and get mild amusement enacting my silent protests at the grocery store.

I'm the same way.

I'll never go to East Side Marios because of that annoying run of ads they did, :)

I also get great enjoyment from turning the Enquirer magazines around in the grocery checkout. :yo:

Mc5RingsAndABeer 05-12-2013 10:27 PM

I never see ads on anything (even YT) ever due to *******.

However, sites like HF need ad revenue to survive so I usually turn it off. Unfortunately, the video ads are forcing me to leave it on

Peter Zezel 05-13-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nuge (Post 65896825)
Just go on the mobile site. I can't think of that last time I used my computer on here. It's really not that much to be a sponsor either and then you don't have to worry about it (I have it mostly for the extra 200 PMs)

There are ads on the mobile site now. Last night I kept on clicking them and it pulls up the app store. So frustrating.

jumptheshark 05-13-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 65873347)
It was bad enough with the lottery ads that would turn on whenever I accidentally scroll the mouse over it, but now they have video ads that play every time you open a new webpage. I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the ad and mute it. It's driving me crazy. If there is no way to turn it off then I'm done with this site.

easy become a sponsor

The Human Torch 05-13-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missinthejets (Post 65897623)
same here, i never use an ad blocker because I'm ok with ads showing up... until they become autoplaying videos. Then it's forcing me to use an adblocker so that my browsing experience isn't ruined by audio playing when it was never requested.

Ad Blocker can be configured on a site-by-site basis. I have it installed but turned off by default, and only enable it on sites where the ads become intrusive and annoying.