HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Bob Murray named finalist for GM of the Year (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1428057)

mightyquack 05-13-2013 10:05 AM

Bob Murray named finalist for GM of the Year

Alongside Ray Shero (Pittsburgh) and Marc Bergevin (Montreal)

Link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Is this real life? :sarcasm:

Congrats to BM!

quentez 05-13-2013 10:08 AM

Cool.

McDonald19 05-13-2013 10:11 AM

For doing what?

Keeping Getzlaf and Perry with huge contracts?

In all seriousness he has made some smart moves:

Cogliano trade
Was willing to overpay on contract to get Winnik, a very good third liner.
Got Steckel and Lovejoy for nothing.
Signed Fasth.

I won't mention anything from the drafts because he isn't the decision maker there.

AngelDuck 05-13-2013 10:38 AM

Lol.

ShadowDuck 05-13-2013 10:41 AM

He deserves it, idk if I would place him in the top 3, but he's been an excellent GM for what it's worth.

He doesn't deserve the hate he's about to get in this thread though lol.

Wayfarer 05-13-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonald19 (Post 65935135)
For doing what?

Cogliano trade
Signed Fasth.

I won't mention anything from the drafts because he isn't the decision maker there.

Also got rid of an excellent coach and a friend in Randy Carlyle because the team needed a new voice. Replaced him with one of the most succesful coaches in the last five years in Bruce Boudreau. That, I think, was Murray's best move excluding the Getzlaf/Perry deals. The more I think about it, it was just what the team needed to move forward. Murray already had a plan to make us a four line team and Carlyle clearly wasn't able to coach that way. Murray went and got Boudreau who always believed in balanced scoring and look what happened to our 3rd and 4th lines. We're seeing the same thing in Toronto, Burke wanted to see tough hockey but Wilson wasn't the right coach for that type of hockey. Burke went and got Carlyle and see what happened. Having the right kind of head coach IMO is just as important as player signings.

Exit Dose 05-13-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonald19 (Post 65935135)
For doing what?

Cogliano trade
Signed Fasth.

He doesn't do the scouting, most of it anyway, but he is very much a decision maker in the process.

jiggsawpuzzle35 05-13-2013 11:25 AM

Congrats bar stool.

Vipers31 05-13-2013 12:04 PM

This will come in handy. "What, why would you want anyone want to fire a top-3 GM in the league...?!" :)

Congrats to Bob. It's a bit of a weird award, as it seems more dependent on the teams' performances (including coach) than anything the GM really does, looking at the nominees. He has made some good decisions, though, unquestionably.

The best thing and the biggest accomplishment about this might be the fact that it comes so relatively early in our building process.

mightyquack 05-13-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipers31 (Post 65939747)
This will come in handy. "What, why would you want anyone want to fire a top-3 GM in the league...?!" :)

All part of the plan, all part of the plan..... ;)

douglast5 05-13-2013 01:05 PM

I think its between bm and mtls gm. Both did horrible last year and with a few changes are near top this year.

kducks 05-13-2013 01:05 PM

Yay? :laugh:

Bender66 05-13-2013 02:51 PM

Hope they don't have barstools at the award ceremony

QuackAttack90 05-13-2013 03:55 PM

I oppose this only because we are now stuck with terrible Souray and Allen for 2 more years at too high of a cap hit.

However Based solely on the improvement in team play from last season to this one, he deserves it.

Gibson Les Palms 05-13-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kducks (Post 65942887)
Yay? :laugh:

My thoughts exactly :laugh:

Suddenly7 05-13-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuackAttack90 (Post 65951993)
I oppose this only because we are now stuck with terrible Souray and Allen for 2 more years at too high of a cap hit.

However Based solely on the improvement in team play from last season to this one, he deserves it.

We could always buy them out or trade them at the draft. Both Allen and Souray can bring in at least something.

Vipers31 05-13-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly7 (Post 65955121)
We could always buy them out or trade them at the draft. Both Allen and Souray can bring in at least something.

Well, those are dramatically different options, obviously. Buying them out costs valuable money. I agree that I don't think we're stuck with them just yet. I'm fairly positive that Allen could be moved. And I don't think we'll even want to move Souray just yet. After all, he's had a good season overall, and still brings some elements that he was brought in to address, that he did address, and that we'd still be lacking without him. I also agree with whoever pointed out that he wouldn't be surprised to hear (or not hear, but it being the case nonetheless) that he's been playing injured in the later stages of the year. That obviously was an inherent risk with his signing given his history and age, though. But I'd be surprised to see him on the move.

IDuck 05-13-2013 07:21 PM

good for him...i have always wished he was a more vocal GM but i guess when you have burke (a GM who is a spokesman) but murph has been great.....even some of the bad move's (whitney) he turned into a positive (viz), has gotten our guys signed, but his best assest IMO is his ability to evaluate talent....good for him and i hope he wins

AngelDuck 05-13-2013 07:23 PM

How do you get nominated for this award if you failed to make your team better at the trade deadline?

Ducks DVM 05-13-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelDuck (Post 65963613)
How do you get nominated for this award if you failed to make your team better at the trade deadline?

By dramatically improving the team the previous summer, locking up not one but both of the next year's prized free agents when most pundits questioned if even one would be retained, signing then extending a starter caliber goaltender who's never played in the NHL previously, signing a number of prized college and junior free agents, and improving your team before the trade deadline (Steckel/Dvorak).

Paul4587 05-13-2013 07:45 PM

Good for him. I don't think it's particularly deserved - it seems more a reflection of how we went from a bottom 5 team to a top 5 team but I pin that to everything going wrong last season and a lot going right this season.

I was happy with how he upgraded the defense last season (still has work to do there IMO) and liked the Winnik signing but we have still only won 1 round of hockey since his arrival. He's a middle of the pack GM in my eyes - there are far worse but also far better.

AngelDuck 05-13-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks DVM (Post 65965325)
By dramatically improving the team the previous summer, locking up not one but both of the next year's prized free agents when most pundits questioned if even one would be retained, signing then extending a starter caliber goaltender who's never played in the NHL previously, signing a number of prized college and junior free agents, and improving your team before the trade deadline (Steckel/Dvorak).

That's all fine and dandy, but after all of these "good" additions, we still can't advance past the first round under him. He should get two more years, and if he continues to fail, fire his ass

Ducks DVM 05-13-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelDuck (Post 65966427)
That's all fine and dandy, but after all of these "good" additions, we still can't advance past the first round under him. He should get two more years, and if he continues to fail, fire his ass

I think it's pretty hard to pin this loss on the GM. Look at the stars not named Getzlaf and at the coach for some interesting decisions. There's pretty much zero excuse (unless some significant injuries come to light) for this roster to have not made the 2nd round. Regardless, you get a GM award for assembling the team, and how it performs in the regular season. Voting for the awards is all done prior to the playoffs, so the 1st round loss is irrelevant to this discussion anyway.

douglast5 05-13-2013 08:28 PM

This was never Anaheims year to run at the cup. Some patchwork on D while they wait for some prospects to mature and a couple of additions on forwards to fill spaces.

Seems like this 2nd overall finish made people forget that they were 13th last year, and every addition BM did helped this team. Go from a loser into a team that won.

I think he did a great job this year to get this team to this point, I can't wait to see what he does to get this team to even the next level.

pesko 05-14-2013 05:06 AM

Agreed, we're about 2 seasons away from being true contenders.