HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   John Tavares vs Jonathan Toews (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1428287)

MichaelDelNotto 05-13-2013 04:12 PM

John Tavares vs Jonathan Toews

Who would you take on your team for the future?

Vankiller Whale 05-13-2013 04:15 PM

Tavares fairly easily.

Anth93 05-13-2013 04:15 PM

Tavares is the better hockey player in my opinion. The famous "intangibles" and defense (which is hard to measure) of Toews aren't enough to make up for the offense of Tavares.

Benny FTW 05-13-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth93 (Post 65956583)
Tavares is the better hockey player in my opinion. The famous "intangibles" and defense (which is hard to measure) of Toews aren't enough to make up for the offense of Tavares.

Yup.

Trance Kuja 05-13-2013 04:28 PM

I absolutely love John Tavares, and he's a superstar. If this question didn't involve a scenario where I had to choose between the two for my team, I would have picked Tavares. I don't really have a reason other than Toews is currently on my favorite team, and I wouldn't want him anywhere else.

Musashi 05-13-2013 04:52 PM

There's only one Johnny Hockey and it's Jonathan Toews

skillhockey 05-13-2013 04:55 PM

League has about 30 forwards that are same level as Tavares. Dunno where this hype is coming from, i guess because he was so elite as junior, he must be greater than he is.

FishManSam 05-13-2013 05:01 PM

Toews would be a better fit for Toronto imo, but Tavares will be the better player imo.

crazy Kassian 05-13-2013 05:15 PM

As someone that has seen both in the playoffs and regular season... John Tavares

I was hyping Toews up like mad during the 2010 Olympics as well

LeHabsMan 05-13-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skillhockey (Post 65958369)
League has about 30 forwards that are same level as Tavares. Dunno where this hype is coming from, i guess because he was so elite as junior, he must be greater than he is.

Oh really? 30 Hart Candidates? Name me the 30 players like him.

I say Tavares. He makes his linemates better. He is someone who can carry a team.

EscapeGoat 05-13-2013 05:31 PM

Tavares.

WangMustGo 05-13-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skillhockey (Post 65958369)

HAHAHAHA I guess you have never really watched Tavares play, there are not 10 forwards in this league that are as good as he is. Take Tavares off the Isles and they are picking Seth Jones this year.

Machinehead 05-13-2013 05:51 PM

Toews, but just barely.

Regal 05-13-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth93 (Post 65956583)

Defense and intangibles aren't worth -1 points?

MarleauApologist 05-13-2013 05:54 PM

I always try to vote against Toews for polls as I don't like him and think he's overrated, but Tavares is officially more overrated. He's a center who was 17th in scoring, he's not a top 5 player in the league like some say he is. Toews, statistically speaking, is better offensively, and when you factor in that he may very well be a top-5 defensive forward, it's not really close.

WarriorofTime 05-13-2013 05:56 PM

Toews is pretty easily better than him right now. Similar offense with Toews being significantly better in every other aspect of the game. That begin said, Tavares is 2 1/2 years younger than Toews and probably has the potential to be the best player in the world outside of Crosby so I'll say it's him moving forward.

Evincar 05-13-2013 05:57 PM

Toews would be the safer choice but Tavares has huge potential.

LatvianTwist 05-13-2013 05:59 PM

Anyone saying Toews is even close offensively has never watched Tavares play.

Chelios 05-13-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LatvianTwist (Post 65961451)
Anyone saying Toews is even close offensively has never watched Tavares play.

Can someone please explain this to me? If you want to say Tavares is slightly better offensively, than fine. But there is simply nothing thus far in his career that shows he is significantly better offensively. Toews has a higher PPG over the last 3 seasons. He outscored him this season. He has averaged more goals per game over his career. He has significantly outscored him at even strength. People love to point out that Toews has much better linemates, but they never mention that he outscored those superior linemates by way more than Tavares outscored his this season. There is simply nothing that Tavares has done to date that suggests he is significantly better offensively than Toews.

Regal 05-13-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chelios (Post 65961901)
Can someone please explain this to me? If you want to say Tavares is slightly better offensively, than fine. But there is simply nothing thus far in his career that shows he is significantly better offensively. Toews has a higher PPG over the last 3 seasons. He outscored him this season. He has averaged more goals per game over his career. He has significantly outscored him at even strength. People love to point out that Toews has much better linemates, but they never mention that he outscored those superior linemates by way more than Tavares outscored his this season. There is simply nothing that Tavares has done to date that suggests he is significantly better offensively than Toews.

But he doesn't look as pretty doing it

Chelios 05-13-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regal (Post 65962025)
But he doesn't look as pretty doing it

Honestly, this is probably the only reason.

STC 05-13-2013 06:09 PM

Toews AINEC.

STC 05-13-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chelios (Post 65961901)

Chelios, I love how you've been beating this same drum for about 2 weeks now on this message board and yet NO ONE has even come remotely close to responding to you with a legitimate reason why Tavares is better than Toews.

It's comical how no one will step up and respond to your challenge.

Chelios 05-13-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STC (Post 65962329)
Chelios, I love how you've been beating this same drum for about 2 weeks now on this message board and yet NO ONE has even come remotely close to responding to you with a legitimate reason why Tavares is better than Toews.

Typical HFBoards. People love to regurgitate the same old preconceptions of certain players time after time, and yet aren't able to construct a reasonable argument to back it up.

Sojourn 05-13-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STC (Post 65962329)

How about Tavares has to do more with less? Toews wasn't even considered the best player on his team through the majority of the season, because of Patrick Kane. No one had any doubt whatsoever where Tavares fit, or that the Islanders had no chance of making the playoffs without him.