HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Player Discussion: Tyler Bozak (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1428961)

Center Ice Scrum 05-14-2013 02:21 AM

Tyler Bozak

Do we need to re-sign Bozak this off-season?

I had my doubts about the team falling apart without his faceoff prowess and the top line struggling to gel and produce without Bozak centering it. These last 2 games, even as an extremely small sample, it does seem like we suffer greatly in the faceoff department without Bozak, but other then that the team has played extremely well.

Would we be better served hoping that Kadri and Grabovski greatly improve their faceoff abilities and go forward without Bozak or do we pony up 4+ mil to bring back Bozak as the default #1C?

If we let him go, who do we bump up as the #1? Is Kadri ready? Can he improve his faceoff % up towards the low mid 50s? If he can mange to do that, we would be set at #1C for the foreseeable future. If not then is Grabovski the answer?

If we don't promote from within, do we go after other UFAs? Maybe someone cheaper who can win a ton of draws? If we spend money on Bozak, might as well chip in a little more and try to get a more experienced center? Do we pursue Derek Roy? Stephen Weiss? Mike Ribero?

Personally, I'd like to let Bozak go unless he's willing to sign for 3-3.5 mil.

Without Bozak,

Weiss (3-4 mil)
Kadri
Grabo
McClement

With Bozak,

Bozak
Kadri
Grabo
McClement

What do you guys think? Who lines up for us down the middle next year?

Teeder9 05-14-2013 02:23 AM

If we sign Weiss, Grabs is gone and Bozak is offered the difference between what he wants and what he deserves. If we don't sign Weiss, we have no choice but to give Bozak what he wants.

agropop 05-14-2013 02:23 AM

I think he walks, and I'm ok with that.

Offspring 05-14-2013 02:24 AM

Colborne deserves a little bit of lovin'. And personally, at 3mil, I'd rather keep Bozak and pass on Weiss. Weiss is most definitely not our answer for a #1 center.

Teeder9 05-14-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offspring (Post 66014831)
Colborne deserves a little bit of lovin'. And personally, at 3mil, I'd rather keep Bozak and pass on Weiss. Weiss is most definitely not our answer for a #1 center.

Nope, because he's a #2, but a better number two than our current #1

4evaBlue 05-14-2013 07:14 AM

You should have made the poll answers a bit more biased.

The Blue Devil 05-14-2013 08:34 AM

If he signs for less then 3.5 then we should ink him up. As seen in the past 2 games Kessel has shown that he can produce without our "superstar" center who apparently made Kessel a PPG player. We could've used his FO's, but our team as a whole didn't look much different without him, the PK was still great. No sense in blowing our load on a player just for FO's.

SprDaVE 05-14-2013 08:37 AM

It really depends on the price. I like him but we can't spend too much on him.

Al14 05-14-2013 08:56 AM

Right now, I could care less. Bozak, and his injury, helped us choke!!!

Rob Brown 05-14-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al14 (Post 66021059)
Right now, I could care less. Bozak, and his injury, helped us choke!!!

How did Bozak help us choke? He missed two games, one we won and the other we should have. The players on the ice choked, not him. Injuries happen every single playoffs, doesn't mean they help teams choke.

Get out of here.

jmart21 05-14-2013 09:32 AM

You think Weiss will go for 3-4M? Not even close my friend.

noway 05-14-2013 09:34 AM

Try to trade Grabo and if you can trade Grabo, keep Bozak.

TmlHockeyFan 05-14-2013 10:06 AM

I'd rather trade Grabo and keep Bozak. That way we don't have too many centres getting a huge salary. I would like to try Kadri as our #1 centre. He did play that role nicely in game 6 and 7. Hopefully he can improve his faceoffs over the summer.

Mess 05-14-2013 10:06 AM

Bozak is a versatile handy player to have around.

I think this all comes down to the asking price in the end.

Also if Bozak re-signs then I believe you have to move Grabovski out to make room for him in the top 6.

Radomon 05-15-2013 03:06 AM

I think we should go with:

Kadri
Colborne
Grabovski (untradable)
McClement

Then sign Clarkson + trade for a defenceman and trade for/sign another winger.

CreeksideStrangler 05-15-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radomon (Post 66081319)
I think we should go with:

Kadri
Colborne
Grabovski (untradable)
McClement

Then sign Clarkson + trade for a defenceman and trade for/sign another winger.

Eww do not want Clatkson. Currently NJ fans say he lost his scoring touch and he doesnt play tough anymore... I tend to agree he is not very skilled either. overpaid 4th liner

Kyle Doobas* 05-15-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler (Post 66083541)
Eww do not want Clatkson. Currently NJ fans say he lost his scoring touch and he doesnt play tough anymore...

Look back at Kulemin's seven-goal season and a lot of people around here were saying the same kinds of things about him. Clarkson is a bit older, mind you, but I'd be willing to take a risk on him for $3-4M. If he doesn't pan out, then he more or less replaces MacArthur (in terms of roster spot + cap hit) while being a more versatile player who can be effective in a bottom-six role as well.

If he does pan out, then we may have one of the best groups of wingers in the league, with four or five guys all capable of putting up 30+ goals.

As far as Bozak is concerned, it's a tough choice. On the one hand, he doesn't play with half the heart of Grabovski, on the other, he often seems like a more effective player despite that, in particular because of his faceoff and PK ability. It was a little painful to watch him in the series against the Bruins, though - letting up on checks, not getting involved on the forecheck and generally looking kinda tentative/scared out there. Grabovski's performance was inspiring, but at the end of the day, was his play really making that much of a difference? Tough call. Do you sign a guy for $4M to win faceoffs and kill penalties? The best option might be to let both Bozak and Grabovski go and pursue Weiss.

Either way, I think Colborne deserves his shot next season. Since recovering from his wrist injury, he's been great with the Marlies and looked very good centering the Leafs' third line in the playoffs. Leave him up with the big club and let's see if Carlyle can start molding him into that two-way, Martin Hanzal-type player he has all the tools to be.

Tarmore 05-15-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Stallone (Post 66083661)
Look back at Kulemin's seven-goal season and a lot of people around here were saying the same kinds of things about him. Clarkson is a bit older, mind you, but I'd be willing to take a risk on him for $3-4M. If he doesn't pan out, then he more or less replaces MacArthur (in terms of roster spot + cap hit) while being a more versatile player who can be effective in a bottom-six role as well.

If he does pan out, then we may have one of the best groups of wingers in the league, with four or five guys all capable of putting up 30+ goals.

As far as Bozak is concerned, it's a tough choice. On the one hand, he doesn't play with half the heart of Grabovski, on the other, he often seems like a more effective player despite that, in particular because of his faceoff and PK ability. It was a little painful to watch him in the series against the Bruins, though - letting up on checks, not getting involved on the forecheck and generally looking kinda tentative/scared out there. Grabovski's performance was inspiring, but at the end of the day, was his play really making that much of a difference? Tough call. Do you sign a guy for $4M to win faceoffs and kill penalties? The best option might be to let both Bozak and Grabovski go and pursue Weiss.

Either way, I think Colborne deserves his shot next season. Since recovering from his wrist injury, he's been great with the Marlies and looked very good centering the Leafs' third line in the playoffs. Leave him up with the big club and let's see if Carlyle can start molding him into that two-way, Martin Hanzal-type player he has all the tools to be.

You mean like a player with a shoulder injury?

Duke Silver 05-15-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarmore (Post 66084547)
You mean like a player with a shoulder injury?

Wasn't a shoulder injury.

veedubn1 05-15-2013 08:45 AM

People need to get Weiss out of their heads. That guy is not a true #1C and he's just putting up empty stats in Florida.

He's marginally better than Bozak, and therefore not worth his asking price.

Duke Silver 05-15-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler (Post 66083541)
Eww do not want Clatkson. Currently NJ fans say he lost his scoring touch and he doesnt play tough anymore... I tend to agree he is not very skilled either. overpaid 4th liner

You can quote me as saying we will regret signing Clarkson.

Tarmore 05-15-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprDaVE (Post 66020557)
It really depends on the price. I like him but we can't spend too much on him.

This is my thought too.

Tarmore 05-15-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke Silver (Post 66084621)
Wasn't a shoulder injury.

What was it?

ErnieLeafs 05-15-2013 08:54 AM

Bicep.

Duffman955 05-15-2013 09:13 AM

If he can be signed below 3.5mil, then I say resign him. A penny more and we should dump him