HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: WAS/STL: Backstrom for Backes+ (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1429051)

Harvey Specter 05-14-2013 07:00 AM

WAS/STL: Backstrom for Backes+
 
Caps fan. Like the Blues. Backstrom's my favorite player. IMO: Caps need a big-time shakeup and the shift needs to be towards the two-way player. The Blues need to add scoring.

Backstrom has elite offensive ability and is more than good enough defensively to fit in St. Louis.

Backes is a decent step down offensively but adds much more size and grit - maybe that would work better with Ovechkin in the playoffs than the current top line.

The plus would need to be fairly decent, I think, but I'm not sure what. But I do think this could help both teams, in no small part because of St. Louis' depth of assets across the board.

:help:

Roboturner913 05-14-2013 07:07 AM

Backes may be the better player here. Considering he is their team captain and face of their franchise, I'm not sure why St. Louis would add anything. In fact, I don't believe they would do this trade at all.

frostyflo 05-14-2013 07:17 AM

No. In the WC a team like ours won't survive without a great 2-way guy like Backes.

Yes we need a #1 centre and such a player won't come cheap and Backstrom would be great but losing Backes would hurt us extremely down the middle.

I don't even want to discuss the significant + you are talking

pld459666 05-14-2013 07:24 AM

While Backstrom is the better offensive player, I believe that what Backes brings to the table in terms of defensive play, physicality and leadership more than make up for the talent disparity.

If I'm the Blues, I'm not making this trade.

I'm damn sure not adding anything to get it done.

fedfed 05-14-2013 08:36 AM

Backstrom's defense is underrated. He's very good defensively, he's an elite penalty killer and he doesn't get pushed around that easily.

The only way I can see a deal here though is if Mike Ribeiro stays. Someone needs to be a true playmaker on this team.

And Backstrom is going nowhere if Caps don't get a first line center back.

QuadrupleDeke 05-14-2013 08:37 AM

As a Caps fan, I might do this without the +

SirPaste 05-14-2013 09:09 AM

As much as I want Backstrom I just dont think we could give up Backes, he fits our system/style perfectly and is our captian. Just dont see it happening.

BackesInBlue 05-14-2013 09:43 AM

No to Backes.

Now, Berglund+ and we're talking here.

fedfed 05-14-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackesInBlue (Post 66025509)
No to Backes.

Now, Berglund+ and we're talking here.

And the Caps' first line center is... who? Mathieu Perreault?

stokes84 05-14-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackesInBlue (Post 66025509)
No to Backes.

Now, Berglund+ and we're talking here.

If that plus is Tarasenko.

CapitalsCupFantasy 05-14-2013 09:46 AM

Send another top 6 C or the Caps laugh and move on....

Daley Tarasenkshow 05-14-2013 09:55 AM

Backstrom and a 1st for backes Stewart and a 2nd. Done.

HooliganX2 05-14-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by your jaskin too much (Post 66026149)
Backstrom and a 1st for backes Stewart and a 2nd. Done.

You are the only Blues fan that would agree to this most likely...

TerminatorBlue 05-14-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackesInBlue (Post 66025509)
No to Backes.

Now, Berglund+ and we're talking here.


Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 66025647)
If that plus is Tarasenko.

How about Berglund and Stewart?


Quote:

Originally Posted by your jaskin too much (Post 66026149)
Backstrom and a 1st for backes Stewart and a 2nd. Done.

No way, Keep in mind that 1st is 22nd overall.

The Big D 05-14-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Click Here (Post 66019751)
Caps fan. Like the Blues. Backstrom's my favorite player. IMO: Caps need a big-time shakeup and the shift needs to be towards the two-way player. The Blues need to add scoring.

Backstrom has elite offensive ability and is more than good enough defensively to fit in St. Louis.

Backes is a decent step down offensively but adds much more size and grit - maybe that would work better with Ovechkin in the playoffs than the current top line.

The plus would need to be fairly decent, I think, but I'm not sure what. But I do think this could help both teams, in no small part because of St. Louis' depth of assets across the board.

:help:

I'm not one who thinks a star 1c is the leafs biggest need (top 4 D & goalie) but, what from Toronto would interest you for backstrom?

fedfed 05-14-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big D (Post 66028109)
I'm not one who thinks a star 1c is the leafs biggest need (top 4 D & goalie) but, what from Toronto would interest you for backstrom?

Since Toronto doesn't have 1C, nothing.
The only trade that could theoretically get you Backstrom is when you give us a legitimate first centerman of the lesser level and some nice plus.

The Big D 05-14-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 66028179)
Since Toronto doesn't have 1C, nothing.
The only trade that could theoretically get you Backstrom is when you give us a legitimate first centerman of the lesser level and some nice plus.

What about a 2c and some nicer plus? Grabbo, Kulie, gunnarson/franson?
Top 6 C top 6/9 W who's strong both ways and a good 3-5 D man

Kresnik 05-14-2013 10:39 AM

Bäckström for Tarasenko.

Harvey Specter 05-14-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big D (Post 66028109)
I'm not one who thinks a star 1c is the leafs biggest need (top 4 D & goalie) but, what from Toronto would interest you for backstrom?

Not a lot - not because they have nothing to offer, but because what the Caps need Toronto doesn't have. I'm sure they could make it work value wise but the point for the Caps is to get big-time two-way playoff guys and absolutely rock-solid Cup-quality D-men.

Honestly, in my mind's eye if ever this kind of trade happened, the Caps would be labelled losers in it, but perhaps they'd be a better PLAYOFF TEAM in the long run. (And by NO means am I scapegoating Backstrom here, just that the's the guy with the kind o value who'd return a lot, while not being named Ovechkin. It's all well and good saying Erat or Green or whoever is on the block, but to SHAKE UP a team, you need to make bigger moves than that.)

BackesInBlue 05-14-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by your jaskin too much (Post 66026149)
Backstrom and a 1st for backes Stewart and a 2nd. Done.


Oh heck no.

and to the previous comment of that + needing to be Tarasenko...:laugh: *click*

Berglund + Stewie though would be a very good package going back the other way for Backstrom that I'd probably be swayed into doing.

Blues fans are down on Berglund, but in a more open offensive system he'd surely thrive and put up terrific numbers.

Harvey Specter 05-14-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big D (Post 66028331)
What about a 2c and some nicer plus? Grabbo, Kulie, gunnarson/franson?
Top 6 C top 6/9 W who's strong both ways and a good 3-5 D man

Horrible, and I suspect you know it.

Backstrom is a PPG #1 center who plays good to great defense. In reality, he's pretty much untradeable, but this thread exists because the team keeps choking, and personally I'd be a fan of shaking it up. And I'd rather trade Ovechkin, but those threads are a disaster.

Harvey Specter 05-14-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackesInBlue (Post 66028677)
Oh heck no.

and to the previous comment of that + needing to be Tarasenko...:laugh: *click*

Berglund + Stewie though would be a very good package going back the other way for Backstrom that I'd probably be swayed into doing.

Blues fans are down on Berglund, but in a more open offensive system he'd surely thrive and put up terrific numbers.

Swayed? You'd have to beg the Caps.

Again, people - Backstrom's not going for 2 cents on the dollar. This is a hypothetical to see if the Caps could trade an elite offensive player with a good defensive game for an elite defensive/grit game and plus offense.

fedfed 05-14-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big D (Post 66028331)
What about a 2c and some nicer plus? Grabbo, Kulie, gunnarson/franson?
Top 6 C top 6/9 W who's strong both ways and a good 3-5 D man

1C is probably the biggest part of the NHL team right now. You don't trade them for depth though I like Kulemin and Gunnarsson.

The Big D 05-14-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Click Here (Post 66028679)
Horrible, and I suspect you know it.

Backstrom is a PPG #1 center who plays good to great defense. In reality, he's pretty much untradeable, but this thread exists because the team keeps choking, and personally I'd be a fan of shaking it up. And I'd rather trade Ovechkin, but those threads are a disaster.

I know quality over quantity but I'm at least offering quality quantity not the usual throw ins, also I know it's a starting point, basically everyone is fair game minus gardiner, lupul (new contract) kessel, kadri, Rielly in my eyes

The Big D 05-14-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 66028833)
1C is probably the biggest part of the NHL team right now. You don't trade them for depth though I like Kulemin and Gunnarsson.

Obviously, Toronto has been looking for one since 08, I'm well aware. I'm not the one asking for your dollar in exchange for my 4 quarters. Your fans started the thread so I'm gauging what we might have that can work.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.