HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Post Game Talk: Game 1 Thoughts (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1430327)

Filppula 05-15-2013 09:42 PM

Game 1 Thoughts

Unprepared. That's what it felt like to me.

Defense totally manhandled. Turnovers galore, right from the first shift. Smith being totally out of his depth. I think White's effort has been putrid when he's been in this year, but could he be worse than Smith is right now?

Forwards had no energy to skate because they spent all their time in their own zone. Of our top 6 forwards only Datsyuk looked dangerous. Abdelkader gave great effort. The third line looked good in patches and at least Nyquist and Brunner skated hard and at least gave their defense something to think about.

We looked SLOW. I'd love a Tatar-Abdelkader-Mursak 4th line. Bertuzzi is too slow and rusty to be effective against this Chicago team.

Howard was the reason this wasn't a 5+ goal loss.

The Nose 05-15-2013 09:44 PM

Unless we're down in a series/game we play with no urgency.

AlowlyOilersfan 05-15-2013 09:48 PM

Have a few days to forget and reset

Yemack 05-15-2013 09:49 PM

it was one of the tightest game i've ever seen in recent years.

Obviously we turned the puck over way too many times but I think other than turning pucks over Wings did absolute amazing job on D. I've never seen more attention to detail and defensive sort out from Wings than tonight.

only one problem is that they are thinking defence so much that forwards stay around in our zone too long not giving defence any where to really pass other than weak ass nudge which gets picked off. I think they need to trust our D little more and start skating up the ice. otherwise, we can not win. Hawks defense is exceptionally good

Detroit Sports 05-15-2013 09:49 PM

It's only one game. We looked terrible in the 3rd. Howard kept us in the game.Dan Cleary is the worst player in the NHL. I really wish Babcock would sit him and he does not get re-signed next season.Smith is terrible.

1st Line Interloper 05-15-2013 09:49 PM

Typical game coming from the West Coast within a few games.

I should have expected it but I don't expect a 20 minute game in an every game counts situation.

Vladdy84 05-15-2013 09:50 PM

So Helm? Pleeeeeeease.

Good analysis Flippula. Agree with most of it. Except for the Mursak fanboy stuff.

Vladdy84 05-15-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Only because Jimmy was great and kept the Wings in it. The Wings had their chances in the first half of the game and didn't capitalize.

Frk It 05-15-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nose (Post 66122341)
Unless we're down in a series/game we play with no urgency.

+1 and I notice this too. To add more to that we seriously lack consistency over the course of 3 periods in both effort and execution.

Yemack 05-15-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladdy84 (Post 66122665)
Only because Jimmy was great and kept the Wings in it. The Wings had their chances in the first half of the game and didn't capitalize.

Hawks didnt really have that great scoring chances all period. sure the puck was in our zone most of the time but considering how long the puck was in our zone, most of their chances were broken plays.

Filppula 05-15-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yemack (Post 66122535)

Outshot 41-21. Wasn't close really. Howard was the only one responsible for that.

Filppula 05-15-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladdy84 (Post 66122583)
So Helm? Pleeeeeeease.

Good analysis Flippula. Agree with most of it. Except for the Mursak fanboy stuff.

Haha couldn't miss tue opportunity.

What about Eaves-Ferraro-Tatar? Keeps Abby up with Dats.

RedWingzz 05-15-2013 09:57 PM

The following are the positives I saw from the Wings tonight:

Yemack 05-15-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filppula (Post 66122787)
Outshot 41-21. Wasn't close really. Howard was the only one responsible for that.

Wings did a great job not missing their man and did a great job pk. made it very hard to make play for Hawks during PK. If you watch how Hawks score goals it's mostly guys standing all alone side of the net or because they let Hawks play with the puck.

Vladdy84 05-15-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filppula (Post 66122819)
Haha couldn't miss tue opportunity.

What about Eaves-Ferraro-Tatar? Keeps Abby up with Dats.

Since we're playing "things not possible or what babcock would never do!"

4th line

Eaves-Helm-Tatar

:handclap:

dj4aces 05-15-2013 10:01 PM

Howard was the difference maker. It didn't seem like any of our guys were playing smart, and they certainly weren't prepared for a Blackhawks team that had plenty of time to rest up after eliminating the Wild.

We have a little time to reset. Our D needs to settle down and play smarter, and we really needed to bury 'em on the power play. Close isn't good enough.

The Nose 05-15-2013 10:02 PM

Chicago scratched a player that would be playing on our 1st line right now. I thought that pretty much sums it up.

theYman 05-15-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroit Sports (Post 66122537)
It's only one game. We looked terrible in the 3rd. Howard kept us in the game.Dan Cleary is the worst player in the NHL. I really wish Babcock would sit him and he does not get re-signed next season.Smith is terrible.

Yup. I'd rather have Tootoo in his place at this point.

Sameheda 05-15-2013 10:04 PM

Positives:
  • Howard
  • Datsyuk, Z, Abby and the third line
  • Cleary had spurts of speed and physicality
  • We out hit them for large stretches of the game
  • Kept it tight after 2

Negatives
  • HORRID defense
  • ABYSMAL defense
  • PUTRID defense
  • Didn't play a full 60 minute game

Cyborg Yzerman 05-15-2013 10:06 PM

The Blackhawks are really good at hockey.

Yemack 05-15-2013 10:11 PM

I think this game showed we can contain their cycle passing game in our zone at least... well unless we turn the puck over.

biggest problem is breaking through their defense. we are little too eager to get back into our zone or stay in our zone. If Wings want to score they gonna have to take some risk.

Vladdy84 05-15-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg Yzerman (Post 66123181)
The Blackhawks are really good at hockey.

That's what happens when you suck for years get lottery picks, make good trades, draft well, play youth and swoop in a sign a player like Hossa.

P U L L H A R D 05-15-2013 10:24 PM

Really wish DeKeyser was healthy. I think he could be the difference.

Dogkota 05-15-2013 10:25 PM

I like DeKeyser as much as the next guy, but I don't think he would have managed 20 SOG

P U L L H A R D 05-15-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogkota (Post 66124031)
I like DeKeyser as much as the next guy, but I don't think he would have managed 20 SOG

You don't need 20 SOG necessarily, you just need to move the puck up the ice smoothly and efficiently.