HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Star: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has his work cut out for him (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1430511)

hockeywiz542 05-16-2013 03:04 AM

Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has his work cut out for him
 
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...t_for_him.html

Quote:

It was the dying moments of Game 7 against the Boston Bruins, about three minutes to go, with the Leafs leading 4-2 and looking ready to move on to the second round.

Dave Nonis was in a hallway of the TD Garden near the Toronto dressing room, and some well-wishers were coming up to the Maple Leafs general manager to congratulate him on a job well done.

Then the bottom fell out. There would be no moving on.

The job was obviously not done well enough.

Nonis indeed has his work cut out for him this summer, trying to figure out what components of this version of the Leafs need to be kept, what ones need to be coddled, and what ones need to be replaced. And if replaced, with whom?

The salary cap comes down next year to $64.3 million from $70.2 million further complicating matters.

zeke 05-16-2013 03:21 AM

Think Nonis has one of the easiest jobs in hockey this summer.

Good young team locked in at most positions.

Really only has to worry about a few things:

1) improving the centre position one way or another
2) replacing Liles with a more defensive defenseman
3) signing Phaneuf and Kessel to extensions

legendinblue 05-16-2013 03:44 AM

Improving our center position for the long-term is no easy task, as far as I'm concerned.

Dreakmur 05-16-2013 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeke (Post 66132417)
Think Nonis has one of the easiest jobs in hockey this summer.

Good young team locked in at most positions.

Really only has to worry about a few things:

1) improving the centre position one way or another
2) replacing Liles with a more defensive defenseman
3) signing Phaneuf and Kessel to extensions

How about re-signing a lot of guys who all deserve raises? Bozak, Kadri, Gunnarsson, Franson, Fraser, Komarov, Colborne...

That doesn't even count the fact that we need to make at least a couple significant additions.

legendinblue 05-16-2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreakmur (Post 66132667)
How about re-signing a lot of guys who all deserve raises? Bozak, Kadri, Gunnarsson, Franson, Fraser, Komarov, Colborne...

That doesn't even count the fact that we need to make at least a couple significant additions.

No kidding, Nonis has a ton of work to do over the summer.

zeke 05-16-2013 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreakmur (Post 66132667)
How about re-signing a lot of guys who all deserve raises? Bozak, Kadri, Gunnarsson, Franson, Fraser, Komarov, Colborne...

That doesn't even count the fact that we need to make at least a couple significant additions.

Don't think that's complicated - you obviously re-sign all the RFAs to market rates. that's a no-brainer. the only complicated one might be the kadri contract.

as for ufa bozak, that's the only ufa he actually has to think about....and it's a choice between signing him or signing another ufa or trafing for a c. that's his one major decisio of the offseason, which us why i listed it as #1.

The second one being somehow replacing liles with a more defensive defenseman.

hotpaws 05-16-2013 05:05 AM

Nonis had a huge job ahead of him .

Building a lower seed/bubble playoffs team isn't hard with the resources this team has . The next step is much harder , how do we go from where we are to where we want to go with no potential impact prospects in the system outside of Rielly .

We have too much money wrapped up avg/mediocre players so on top of having too improve the team he also has to find a way to shed salary .

ACC1224 05-16-2013 05:27 AM

With Burke doing all the heavy lifting a little fine tuning is all that's required, keep moving forward.

I'd bet that's the last time he accepts congratulations before the buzzer though.

Dreakmur 05-16-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeke (Post 66132897)
Don't think that's complicated - you obviously re-sign all the RFAs to market rates. that's a no-brainer. the only complicated one might be the kadri contract.

It's easy to "sigh them at the market rate", but it's a little tougher to actually figure out what that is.

What's market rate for Carl Gunnarson and Cody Franson?

Quote:

as for ufa bozak, that's the only ufa he actually has to think about....and it's a choice between signing him or signing another ufa or trafing for a c. that's his one major decisio of the offseason, which us why i listed it as #1.
There are no #1 centers available through free agency, and we don't really have the assets to bring one in via trade. With Bozak and MacArthur on expiring deals, we just lost our two best expendable assets who actually had value. That's exactly why I wanted them moved during the season.

That's the only big decision for the off-season? What about the disaster area known as our blueline? Many posters think Phaneuf isn't a #1 defensemen, so if they are right, we need one of those. Even the people who think Phaneuf is a #1 point to the fact that he can't do it all alone, so we'll at least need to bring in some very good seconday defensemen.

Then there's the goaltending... Again...

Quote:

The second one being somehow replacing liles with a more defensive defenseman.
He wasn't good enough to play a full-time role for one of the worst bluelines in the league, and he's locked into a relatively big contract. How much value does he have right now.

Another things that's easier said than done.

Stats01 05-16-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotpaws (Post 66133031)
Nonis had a huge job ahead of him .

Building a lower seed/bubble playoffs team isn't hard with the resources this team has . The next step is much harder , how do we go from where we are to where we want to go with no potential impact prospects in the system outside of Rielly .

We have too much money wrapped up avg/mediocre players so on top of having too improve the team he also has to find a way to shed salary .

You trade some of that depth we have for upgrades, not an easy job but the answer is pretty simple IMO.

NigelTufnel 05-16-2013 07:32 AM

Here's what I'd do....

Buy out Liles and Grabo.

Let MacArthur and O'Byrne walk.

Re-sign Bozak and any other FA's.

Throw some money at Clarkson if he makes it to free agency. Also, target some teams up against the cap to see if there's a buy low situation to take advantage of.

I don't think we need to be trading major pieces or anything like that, but I believe Nonis usual patient approach will be the right thing to do here.

I think the guys I mentioned letting go can be replaced internally, and as I said if there's a situation to bring in an upgrade, then you do it. If not, I'm fine with seeing what Gardiner can do with a full, healthy season. Ditto for Colborne and Frattin.

Joey Hoser 05-16-2013 07:34 AM

There's really only two significant tasks for this offseason as far as I can tell.

1) Find a partner for Phaneuf

2) Figure out this whole #1 C thing, as usual.

There's nothing else worth sinking a lot of effort and resources into. Fine on the wings throughout pretty much the entire lineup(maybe get one top six guy to bump Kulemin and Frattin to the third line permanently), goaltending looks fine, and defensive depth is in good shape with Gunnarson, Franson and Gardiner.

hotpaws 05-16-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stats01 (Post 66135185)
You trade some of that depth we have for upgrades, not an easy job but the answer is pretty simple IMO.

What depth do we have that will enable Nonis to trade for these upgrades ?

We need a top 2 center preferably with size and a big tough D who can eat minutes .

It's easy to say what we need but who's going to give up these pieces for bottom end players ?

ACC1224 05-16-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Hoser (Post 66135479)
There's really only two significant tasks for this offseason as far as I can tell.

1) Find a partner for Phaneuf

2) Figure out this whole #1 C thing, as usual.

There's nothing else worth sinking a lot of effort and resources into. Fine on the wings throughout pretty much the entire lineup(maybe get one top six guy to bump Kulemin and Frattin to the third line permanently), goaltending looks fine, and defensive depth is in good shape with Gunnarson, Franson and Gardiner.

#1 is the biggest task. Another year without a #1 C won't be the end of the world.

Wonder Dan 05-16-2013 08:24 AM

Anybody else kind of chuckle at the title? It seems a bit exaggerated 'Nonis has his work cut out for him' makes it seem like he has to revamp the whole team...maybe its only me

Loosie 05-16-2013 08:29 AM

I love all the arm-chair GMs in here. Let Nonis do his job. People saying we jsut need to go get a #1 C and a partner for Phaneuf like it's easy. There's a reason that every season one of the Leafs 'key needs' is a #1 C...they are not being given away for free.

I think they only way the Leafs get a #1 C is through the draft, which means we are a few years away from that. If we trade for a #1 C then what #1 position did we give up for it?

Joey Hoser 05-16-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loosie (Post 66136723)
I love all the arm-chair GMs in here. Let Nonis do his job. People saying we jsut need to go get a #1 C and a partner for Phaneuf like it's easy. There's a reason that every season one of the Leafs 'key needs' is a #1 C...they are not being given away for free.

Those are the hole's in the lineup though. That's what needs to be worked on. Didn't say anything about whether or not I think he'll be able to do it.

Krazy 05-16-2013 09:03 AM

I think Nonis is pretty lucky overall. The team has a few duds and high salaries but so many teams have absolutely no money to work with.

Obviously Komi needs to go. I think ideal world, grabo too. I think trading Coburn for liles would be

Having a core of

Jvr (4.25) _______ Kessel (5.4)
Lup (5.25) Kadri (4) Kule (2.8)
Komo (1) Bozak(4ish)Frattin (1)
Mcla (1) Mcl3m (1.5) Orr (1).

Would be perfect.

Coburn (4.5) Dion (6.5)
Gard (1.5) Franson (4)
Gunn (2.5) Fraser (1)


I think a simple liles for Coburn swap gives a better composition, and Heck Ranger might even be the top 4 D we need. That would make the world a lot easier to deal with.


Franson stepped up in the playoffs and he and Gardiner could be a great 2nd pair.

This is just a first blush. A ton of teams are weak or first round exits with basically no space

Flyers montreal ducks capitals are in a terrible position going forward.

Mess 05-16-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NigelTufnel (Post 66135445)
Here's what I'd do....

Buy out Liles and Grabo.

Let MacArthur and O'Byrne walk.

Re-sign Bozak and any other FA's.

Throw some money at Clarkson if he makes it to free agency. Also, target some teams up against the cap to see if there's a buy low situation to take advantage of.

I don't think we need to be trading major pieces or anything like that, but I believe Nonis usual patient approach will be the right thing to do here.

I think the guys I mentioned letting go can be replaced internally, and as I said if there's a situation to bring in an upgrade, then you do it. If not, I'm fine with seeing what Gardiner can do with a full, healthy season. Ditto for Colborne and Frattin.

What about Komisarek ?

Only so many buyouts to go around to clean up past mistakes so you have to pick wisely.

Big Mike seems like he is also on Nonis to-do list of players to remove this summer.

ACC1224 05-16-2013 09:12 AM

I doubt very much Liles is bought out.

calcal798 05-16-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeke (Post 66132897)
Don't think that's complicated - you obviously re-sign all the RFAs to market rates. that's a no-brainer. the only complicated one might be the kadri contract.

as for ufa bozak, that's the only ufa he actually has to think about....and it's a choice between signing him or signing another ufa or trafing for a c. that's his one major decisio of the offseason, which us why i listed it as #1.

The second one being somehow replacing liles with a more defensive defenseman.

Replacement for Liles would probably be Mark Fraser, just need to find someone that can play on the right side, maybe Blacker if he's ready.

The bigger decision will be if you want to resign Bozak, or find a replacement.

It might be good to start working on getting Kessel and Phaneuf locked up after next year too.

mikedumar 05-16-2013 09:19 AM

Show faith in the team that went to the playoffs for the first time in nine years!

Bring in some strength to bolster team without huge adjustments! This Team went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the league! This series will be a defining strength for the future of the leafs!

Scuderi is a huge must get! His veteran leadership on the back end will prove immensely!

And make financial adjustments to bring in Clarkson or horton, both who are strong team players and will bring much strength to the forward lines

Kessel -bozak-lupul
Jvr -kadri- clarkson/horton
Frattin-garbovski-kulemin
Mclaren-mclement-komorov

Phaneuf -gunnerson
Scuderi-gardiner
Franson -frasor

Reimer
Scrivens

Mess 05-16-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224 (Post 66137921)
I doubt very much Liles is bought out.

He was a healthy scratch under Carlyle for well over a month in a shortened season.

Carlyle also preferred AHLers Fraser and Kostka in the playoffs and Liles in the pressbox, with only injuries allowing him back into the line-up.

He doesn't appear to be apart of the plans going forward, and he still has 3 more years at nearly $4 mil left (2nd highest paid Leaf Dman, 3rd if you include Komisarek) and Leafs oldest player on a young rebuilding team.

Leafs defense also needs an upgrade so someone has to go out to make room.

ErnieLeafs 05-16-2013 09:21 AM

MLSE eats almost 14 million to buy Grabo out this summer?......... ...... :laugh:

Pinto 05-16-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224 (Post 66137921)
I doubt very much Liles is bought out.

Agreed, he is still a good defenseman and his current cap hit is pretty much market value for players of his calibre.

I'd be fine with keeping him, at the very least I think we could get a pick for him. No need to waste an amnesty on him.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.