HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Prospect Info: Toni Rajala (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1430657)

nando2392 05-16-2013 11:38 AM

Toni Rajala

Is a beast! Give him a spot in trainning camp :handclap:

Mr Forever 05-16-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nando2392 (Post 66143507)
Is a beast! Give him a spot in trainning camp :handclap:

What is his defensive play like?

I've honestly never seen him play and I never considered him anything as a prospect until this year, but I'm still skeptical.

nando2392 05-16-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Forever (Post 66143961)
What is his defensive play like?

I've honestly never seen him play and I never considered him anything as a prospect until this year, but I'm still skeptical.

He has a really high hockey sense, great speed, quick hands, not the best on defense but plays the three zones and his has a good deceptive shot

Mr Forever 05-16-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nando2392 (Post 66144265)
He has a really high hockey sense, great speed, quick hands, not the best on defense but plays the three zones and his has a good deceptive shot

He seems like the kind of player who could potentially play on a multidimensional line such as:

Paajarvi-Horcoff-Rajala (This season)

or

Hartikanen-Lander-Rajala (Not NHL ready yet)

In order to provide some kind of offensive spark to a checking line. That's what I saw Reider doing before they traded him. Filling in on a third line and providing offense, while not being a slug defensively.

nando2392 05-16-2013 12:09 PM

I don't think he will be ready next season but bringing him to traning camp is going to make him hungrier

misfit 05-16-2013 12:10 PM

Don't worry, he'll definitely get a spot in training camp. A spot on the roster is another story altogether.

nando2392 05-16-2013 12:16 PM

Let's see hope the playoff end up. His value should go up

BackhandToeyJoey 05-16-2013 12:33 PM

Rajala > Smyth?

KenLinsemanFanClub 05-16-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackhandToeyJoey (Post 66146105)
Rajala > Smyth?

At this stage of his career, Roll of hockey tape > Smyth.

Skm 05-16-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenLinsemanFanClub (Post 66146327)
At this stage of his career, Roll of hockey tape > Smyth.

In fairness to the tape, if you rolled it hard enough it would definitely get down the ice faster than Smyth.

ManByng 05-16-2013 01:01 PM

it's my belief that Rajala's play was what made Rieder expendible. pleasently surprised at how he's played in the AHL.

Bryanbryoil 05-16-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit (Post 66144973)
Don't worry, he'll definitely get a spot in training camp. A spot on the roster is another story altogether.

Exactly. It will be interesting to see how he does in camp. Not having training camp and the rookie tournament were definitely two of the worst parts of the lockout.

Karsa Orlong 05-16-2013 01:40 PM

I have watched quite a few Barons games since the Oil went down, and i am very impressed with Rajala. His defensive play is surprisingly good, despite his size he will go in and get the puck out of the corners, mostly with great stick work.

Last nights game he had 4 shots in his first shift. I also remember him stealing the puck from Oleksiak a few times, and made it look really really easy. It was a pretty cool sight, since Rajala barely comes up past his waist.

One thing that stands out to me the most is that his size does not often look like a detriment. When he has to battle against bigger players he just uses his skill and speed to beat them.

Most games i have watched he has been on a line with Hartikainen, and one of VV or Lander, with Hartikainen taking the right wing, and Rajala on the left. Perhaps part of his good play is playing with bigger and more defensive minded players, but that would really be perfect if the plan is to ease him in on the 4th line eventually to add some scoring there.

Anyways just some thoughts i had about this kid, i am interested to see if he can make it to the NHL!

oilerbear 05-16-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karsa Orlong (Post 66149367)
I have watched quite a few Barons games since the Oil went down, and i am very impressed with Rajala. His defensive play is surprisingly good, despite his size he will go in and get the puck out of the corners, mostly with great stick work.

Last nights game he had 4 shots in his first shift. I also remember him stealing the puck from Oleksiak a few times, and made it look really really easy. It was a pretty cool sight, since Rajala barely comes up past his waist.

One thing that stands out to me the most is that his size does not often look like a detriment. When he has to battle against bigger players he just uses his skill and speed to beat them.

Most games i have watched he has been on a line with Hartikainen, and one of VV or Lander, with Hartikainen taking the right wing, and Rajala on the left. Perhaps part of his good play is playing with bigger and more defensive minded players, but that would really be perfect if the plan is to ease him in on the 4th line eventually to add some scoring there.

Anyways just some thoughts i had about this kid, i am interested to see if he can make it to the NHL!

Perfect!

He has been top 10 draft FINN prospects last three years.

Broke Ovechkins U18 WHC point record

Played in brandon in his 18Yr season.
Was on 3rd line behind; Calvert, Schenn, Glennie, Wiebe, Fehr, Lewadniuk.
or would have produced more.
As you will constantly see when it counts he
Led brandon in scoring at mem cup @18 7 point from brandons 9 goals.

just behind
18 year old T. Hall 9 points from windsors 19 goals
19 yr old henrique 8 points form windsors 19 goals.

this year started the first 7 games in the AHL but was behind Hall, Eberle, RNH, MP, Hartikainen, Arcabello, House, Green, Hamilton, pitlick.
He was sent down to ECHL were he was 4th in league scoring.

he was called up.
Has been a 1.1PPG in the AHL since.
Top 5 right there with nyquist and Granlund.

6th in AHL playoff scoring.

The best part is 70-80% of his scoring each year comes from even play.
Since his draft year all his play reflects an 32-40 EVP player.

Would love that count in our bottom 6 instead of Hemsky
A diffrent small forward @ 4M less.

DousedInOil 05-16-2013 03:31 PM

Better lock him up. 5 years at 5 million per. Get er done MacT.

:sarcasm:

ManByng 05-16-2013 04:38 PM

^good deal for the team, not so much for Rajala. :laugh:

BarDownBobo 05-16-2013 04:46 PM

Someone suggested this somewhere else, but of Hopkins isn't ready for the start of the season I could see the top 6 being:

Rajala-Hall-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov

Small, yes I know, but that would be fun to watch.

nando2392 05-16-2013 11:10 PM

Are we seeing some light at the end of the tunnel with some of our draft picks?

nando2392 05-16-2013 11:49 PM

2 more assist tonight! So much talent

AlowlyOilersfan 05-16-2013 11:58 PM

Looking forward to seeing him play in some exhibition games, at the very least.

Up the Irons 05-17-2013 12:18 AM

Listed as 5'10", 163LBS (which means he's 5'9", 158)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nando2392 (Post 66188497)
Are we seeing some light at the end of the tunnel with some of our draft picks?

that would be no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nando2392 (Post 66190883)
2 more assist tonight! So much talent

who cares. see LA vrs. SJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan (Post 66192161)
Looking forward to seeing him play in some exhibition games, at the very least.

looking forward to the Oilers organization realizing that they are in NHL not the SEL.

WAKE UP!!! NO MORE SMURFS!!!!!

s7ark 05-17-2013 12:19 AM

3G 10A in 10 GP in the playoffs. Quite the playoffs so far for Rajala.

I remember being happy with the pick just because of his high skill level and the fact that he broke that Ovechkin scoring record. But then he didn't do much for a few years. Good, but nothing special. So I am pleased that he seems to be coming around.

Assuming a team doesn't request him in a deal, it'll be fun to watch him at training camp in the fall.

thadd 05-17-2013 12:23 AM

I still doubt that he turns into an NHL player, but it's nice seeing our prospects make big contributions to our farm team.

The Perfect Human* 05-17-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark (Post 66193639)
3G 10A in 10 GP in the playoffs. Quite the playoffs so far for Rajala.

I remember being happy with the pick just because of his high skill level and the fact that he broke that Ovechkin scoring record. But then he didn't do much for a few years. Good, but nothing special. So I am pleased that he seems to be coming around.

Assuming a team doesn't request him in a deal, it'll be fun to watch him at training camp in the fall.

Considering the dud that is Olivier Roy, Rajala is all we have left from that Brodziak trade. :shakehead

Panda Bear 05-17-2013 01:46 AM

For a 21 year old with his draft position, I really don't think Roy's stats are that bad.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=106601