HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Eastern Conference Finals: Philadelphia Phantoms vs. Providence Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=143117)

GKJ 05-14-2005 08:33 PM

Eastern Conference Finals: Philadelphia Phantoms vs. Providence Bruins

Bruins beat Lowell tonight 5-2 to advance to the Eastern Conference Finals. Only 1 team had less points during the season that made the playoffs.

Game 1 - Fri., May 20 - Providence 2 Philadelphia 4
Game 2 - Sat., May 21 - Providence 0 Philadelphia 3
Game 3 - Mon., May 23 - Philadelphia 1 Providence 2 (OT)
Game 4 - Wed., May 25 - Philadelphia 2 Providence 1
*Game 5 - Fri., May 27 - Philadelphia 4 Providence 6
*Game 6 - Sun., May 29 - Providence 1 Philadelphia 4

pelts35.com 05-14-2005 08:37 PM

This should be a very entertaining series. Goals are going to be very tough to come by against Toivonen. I predict a bunch of 2-1, 3-2 type games. Series will probably go a minimum of 6.

It will be interesting to see if Niittymaki can shake off his less than stellar outing in game 5. If there are any signs that he hasn't, I don't think John Stevens would hesitate to put Little in.

GKJ 05-14-2005 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com
This should be a very entertaining series. Goals are going to be very tough to come by against Toivonen. I predict a bunch of 2-1, 3-2 type games. Series will probably go a minimum of 6.

It will be interesting to see if Niittymaki can shake off his less than stellar outing in game 5. If there are any signs that he hasn't, I don't think John Stevens would hesitate to put Little in.

I don't think we'll have to worry about Niittymaki. He was a bit shaky in Game 5, but so was the whole team. Nittymaki also made some excellent saves and 2 of the goals he had no chance on.

Roger's Pancreas* 05-14-2005 09:07 PM

Quote:

You don't need to worry about Antero at all. His play was in part due to starting the last eleven games and being relied on heavily. I saw we take the series in six games because of outstanding depth.

Vic Rattlehead* 05-14-2005 09:28 PM

Toivonen vs. Ward was very good.

Nittymaki vs. Toivonen should be even better.

Best of luck for the series.

FlyersFan10* 05-14-2005 09:52 PM

Is it just me, or has this been a fun post season to watch? Carter has been looking extremely good, Richards has been everything that he's been advertised to be, Umberger looks like he's finally coming around, Joni seems to be ready to kick it up another notch, and Antero has been very very good. It's a good progression that our prospects are going through and most importantly, there is some cohesion and chemistry amongst the ranks. This might be the most solid group of prospects we've had in some time. More importantly, these kids know how to score and they don't need someone to teach them that. To me, what Carter and Richards have done has been most impressive.

GKJ 05-14-2005 10:06 PM

Carter is one of the few people in this organization who isn't looking to pass when he gets the puck. The kid is a scorer, he wants to score and he will score a lot of goals.

swflyers8* 05-15-2005 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Is it just me, or has this been a fun post season to watch? Carter has been looking extremely good, Richards has been everything that he's been advertised to be, Umberger looks like he's finally coming around, Joni seems to be ready to kick it up another notch, and Antero has been very very good. It's a good progression that our prospects are going through and most importantly, there is some cohesion and chemistry amongst the ranks. This might be the most solid group of prospects we've had in some time. More importantly, these kids know how to score and they don't need someone to teach them that. To me, what Carter and Richards have done has been most impressive.

It would be a fun postseason if we could actually watch some of the darn games on tv! :madfire:

GoneFullHextall 05-15-2005 12:45 AM

Phantoms in 6

I dont think Providence can deal with the Philly depth. IMO.

Vikke 05-15-2005 07:08 AM

Will Phantoms go all the way and capture the Calder Cup?
We do have the ability :handclap:

GKJ 05-15-2005 07:39 AM

Phantoms will have to play 3 games in Providence in a row, if necessary. It would be wise to do what it takes to take the first 2 at home. Providence, being the 2nd lowest seed in the playoffs, has obviously been able to steal road games.

IronMarshal 05-15-2005 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Carter is one of the few people in this organization who isn't looking to pass when he gets the puck. The kid is a scorer, he wants to score and he will score a lot of goals.

Here is hoping Ruzicka and Potulny are the same way.

FearTheFlyers 05-15-2005 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMarshal
Here is hoping Ruzicka and Potulny are the same way.

Don't worry about Rosie. He looks for his shot.

pelts35.com 05-15-2005 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
Phantoms in 6

I dont think Providence can deal with the Philly depth. IMO.

IMO, Manchester had as much depth, if not more, than the Phantoms and the P-Bruins did quite well. The same could be said for Lowell.

The first two games are key with 3 in a row being played in Providence.

Assuming they get past this, the Calder Cup finals will be tough as both Manitoba and Chicago are very good. It would be nice if an AHL team (as opposed to a former IHL team) could win the cup this season.

It will be curious to see if anybody decides to start showing up at the Phantoms games. The fact that they have drawn so poorly in the playoffs is rather sad. Quite frankly, it just proves the point that Philadelphia is not a hockey town, but just a Flyers town.

GoneFullHextall 05-15-2005 01:45 PM

Quote:

IMO, Manchester had as much depth, if not more, than the Phantoms and the P-Bruins did quite well. The same could be said for Lowell.

The first two games are key with 3 in a row being played in Providence.

Assuming they get past this, the Calder Cup finals will be tough as both Manitoba and Chicago are very good. It would be nice if an AHL team (as opposed to a former IHL team) could win the cup this season.

It will be curious to see if anybody decides to start showing up at the Phantoms games. The fact that they have drawn so poorly in the playoffs is rather sad. Quite frankly, it just proves the point that Philadelphia is not a hockey town, but just a Flyers town.

Being a Manchester fan as well as a Phantoms fan, the Monarchs lack something that Philly has and Lowell even had. heart. The Monarchs have not been a playoff team all 4 seasons they have been in Manchester. Providence was able to shutdown the top line in Lowell and took advantage of the shaky goaltending Lowell had in that series. Andy Murray insisted from LA that Garon start every game when Hauser had the better numbers vs. the Bruins this season, hence the reason for that. Garon has been and allways will be OVERRATED.
I just dont think Providence matches up well with Philly, especially now with Carter and Richards on the team. Maybe im a bit biased twords Philly but i saw enough of Providence this season to know that i dont think they have enough to deal with Philly. Not to take anything away from what Providence has done. They have a great run so far. I just think it comes to an end in this series.

pelts35.com 05-15-2005 02:23 PM

Quote:

Being a Manchester fan as well as a Phantoms fan, the Monarchs lack something that Philly has and Lowell even had. heart. The Monarchs have not been a playoff team all 4 seasons they have been in Manchester. Providence was able to shutdown the top line in Lowell and took advantage of the shaky goaltending Lowell had in that series. Andy Murray insisted from LA that Garon start every game when Hauser had the better numbers vs. the Bruins this season, hence the reason for that. Garon has been and allways will be OVERRATED.
I just dont think Providence matches up well with Philly, especially now with Carter and Richards on the team. Maybe im a bit biased twords Philly but i saw enough of Providence this season to know that i dont think they have enough to deal with Philly. Not to take anything away from what Providence has done. They have a great run so far. I just think it comes to an end in this series.

You certainly make valid points. Although I agree that Manchester has yet to show that they have any heart when it comes to the post season, I don't think you can say the same for Lowell. Quite frankly, Toivonen was amazing in that series as, many have said, that Lowell outplayed Providence in at least 2 of Providence's wins.

The one thing you can never discount is a hot goaltender. Although Nittymaki has played well, Toivonen has been spectacular in the playoffs.

Regardless of who makes it out of the east, I still think that one of the old IHL teams will claim yet another Calder Cup.

Roger's Pancreas* 05-15-2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Is it just me, or has this been a fun post season to watch?

Haven't been able to see any of the games but after listening to more than three quarters of the games I have to agree. This post season has everything that anyone could ask for; multiple overtimes, game seven tension, rivalries, come from behind victories, unexpected upsets and that's just off the top of my head. Thank god for the lockout (never thought I would say that.)

GKJ 05-15-2005 05:24 PM

Quote:

Being a Manchester fan as well as a Phantoms fan, the Monarchs lack something that Philly has and Lowell even had. heart. The Monarchs have not been a playoff team all 4 seasons they have been in Manchester.

I don't know if you can call a team with some Kings on it, a team without heart. Granted, I didn't see any of the Monarchs this year, you would know more than I do. I think Garon tends to be overrated because he was on the Canadiens. I am one of the people who think he can be the next Giguere/Irbe/Hedberg/Theodore who will find a way to pick up his team

GoneFullHextall 05-15-2005 06:25 PM

Quote:

You certainly make valid points. Although I agree that Manchester has yet to show that they have any heart when it comes to the post season, I don't think you can say the same for Lowell. Quite frankly, Toivonen was amazing in that series as, many have said, that Lowell outplayed Providence in at least 2 of Providence's wins.

The one thing you can never discount is a hot goaltender. Although Nittymaki has played well, Toivonen has been spectacular in the playoffs.

Regardless of who makes it out of the east, I still think that one of the old IHL teams will claim yet another Calder Cup.

Toivonen has played well so this far in the playoffs. Im not saying that the Phantoms are going to roll over Providence by any means. What i meant by Lowell was is that they did show the heart to do well in the playoffs. I didnt mean to perceive that Lowell lacked heart.

Quote:

I don't know if you can call a team with some Kings on it, a team without heart. Granted, I didn't see any of the Monarchs this year, you would know more than I do. I think Garon tends to be overrated because he was on the Canadiens. I am one of the people who think he can be the next Giguere/Irbe/Hedberg/Theodore who will find a way to pick up his team

The Monarchs were a very good regular season team, however they lacked the heart to be a playoff team, they had the heart during most of the regualr season, but when it came time for the playoffs, they folded up the tent and went home. My opinion of Garon has nothing to do with him being a former Canadien. He is an average goalie at best, IMO,

GKJ 05-15-2005 07:19 PM

Quote:

The Monarchs were a very good regular season team, however they lacked the heart to be a playoff team, they had the heart during most of the regualr season, but when it came time for the playoffs, they folded up the tent and went home. My opinion of Garon has nothing to do with him being a former Canadien. He is an average goalie at best, IMO,

I'm talking about the hype though. So many people for a while had been screaming he is better than Jose Theodore and just never got a chance to prove it.

budscweizer16 05-15-2005 10:18 PM

Anyone know where i can get good tickets for game 1 or 2. I want row 1 ice level seats, but on phantoms.com(ticketmaster) there all gone. If u have any info bout this please let me know.

GoneFullHextall 05-15-2005 10:51 PM

i am only hoping for the slim chance cn8 would telivise the games. living in NH thou I am not holding my breath. Its too bad the games in Providence are during the week next week or i would consiter making the drive down there.

CharlieGirl 05-15-2005 11:11 PM

Can anyone tell me if the games are going to be broadcast? And while we're on the subject.... why aren't the Phantoms games on the radio?

Thanks!

GKJ 05-15-2005 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
Can anyone tell me if the games are going to be broadcast? And while we're on the subject.... why aren't the Phantoms games on the radio?

Thanks!

Phantoms don't have a home radio staff. All games can be heard through the other teams websites

Vikke 05-16-2005 08:10 AM

Quote:

Phantoms don't have a home radio staff.

I volounteer!