HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NHL Draft - Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Domi Vs. Horvat Vs. Lazar Vs. Gauthier Vs. Wennberg (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1432407)

Bryanbryoil 05-19-2013 02:56 PM

Domi Vs. Horvat Vs. Lazar Vs. Gauthier Vs. Wennberg
 
Sorry for the mother of all Vs. threads, but it seems like there are quite a few quality centers in this draft compared to recent drafts. How would you rank these players from top to bottom in terms of:

Offensive upside

Defensive play

Physicality

Skating (speed, acceleration, and agility)

Passing

Shot selection

Hockey IQ

Bust Potential (from lowest to highest)

McMatthews 05-19-2013 03:20 PM

Offensive upside

Horvat
Domi
Lazar
Gauthier
Wennberg

Defensive play

Horvat
Gauthier
Wennberg
Domi
Lazar

Physicality

Domi
Gauthier
Horvat
Lazar
Wennberg

Skating (speed, acceleration, and agility)

Wennberg
Gauthier
Horvat
Domi
Lazar

Passing

Horvat
Domi
Gauthier
Lazar
Wennberg

Shot selection

Horvat
Domi
Lazar
Gauthier
Wennberg

Hockey IQ

Horvat
Domi
Gauthier
Wennberg
Lazar

Bust Potential (from lowest to highest)

Horvat
Domi
Gauthier
Lazar
Wennberg

boredmale 05-19-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner (Post 66286405)
Bust Potential (from lowest to highest)

Horvat

<Not saying I know much about all the guys mentioned but going off your ratings>

If a guy is the best defensively then his bust potential should be the lowest because it's a case well if his offense doesn't translate to the NHL he could end up a good 3rd line center

J17 Vs Proclamation 05-19-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner (Post 66286405)
Offensive upside

Horvat
Domi
Lazar
Gauthier
Wennberg

Defensive play

Horvat
Gauthier
Wennberg
Domi
Lazar

Physicality

Domi
Gauthier
Horvat
Lazar
Wennberg

Skating (speed, acceleration, and agility)

Wennberg
Gauthier
Horvat
Domi
Lazar

Passing

Horvat
Domi
Gauthier
Lazar
Wennberg

Shot selection

Horvat
Domi
Lazar
Gauthier
Wennberg

Hockey IQ

Horvat
Domi
Gauthier
Wennberg
Lazar

Bust Potential (from lowest to highest)

Horvat
Domi
Gauthier
Lazar
Wennberg

I don't think you have a very good understanding of Wennberg.

17Kurri 05-19-2013 03:42 PM

Offensive upside

Gauthier
Domi
Lazar
Horvat
Wennberg

Defensive play

Horvat
Lazar
Wennberg
Gauthier
Domi


Physicality

Lazar
Domi
Horvat
Gauthier
Wennberg

Skating (speed, acceleration, and agility)

Wennberg
Domi
Lazar
Horvat
Gauthier

Passing

Horvat
Domi
Lazar
Gauthier
Wennberg

Shot selection

Domi
Horvat
Lazar
Gauthier
Wennberg

Hockey IQ

Domi
Horvat
Lazar
Wennberg
Gauthier

Bust Potential (from lowest to highest)

Lazar
Horvat
Domi
Gauthier
Wennberg

France Nielsen 05-19-2013 03:44 PM

Wow. I guess some people really don't like Wennberg.

17Kurri 05-19-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru Meditation (Post 66288363)
Wow. I guess some people really don't like Wennberg.

I think it's probably more likely a case of liking the others more in some categories due to more viewings. I've only seen Wennberg a handful of times online and on TV, but don't recall any particular standout qualities except skating. That said, this is just an opinions based ranking request, so there's bound to be some variance. I've got no doubt whatsoever that there'll be some Euro posters soon enough who'll rank Wennberg at the top of each category. To each their own.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh 05-19-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru Meditation (Post 66288363)
Wow. I guess some people really don't like Wennberg.

well when someone ranks the best passer 5th it means you take random lists with a grain of salt

Emerica 05-19-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation (Post 66287429)
I don't think you have a very good understanding of Wennberg.

Seriously. :laugh:

I am the Liquor 05-19-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner (Post 66286405)
Offensive upside

Horvat
Domi
Lazar
Gauthier
Wennberg

Defensive play

Horvat
Gauthier
Wennberg
Domi
Lazar

Physicality

Domi
Gauthier
Horvat
Lazar
Wennberg

Skating (speed, acceleration, and agility)

Wennberg
Gauthier
Horvat
Domi
Lazar

Passing

Horvat
Domi
Gauthier
Lazar
Wennberg

Shot selection

Horvat
Domi
Lazar
Gauthier
Wennberg

Hockey IQ

Horvat
Domi
Gauthier
Wennberg
Lazar

Bust Potential (from lowest to highest)

Horvat
Domi
Gauthier
Lazar
Wennberg

If you dont have any idea what you are talking about, you shouldnt bother.

The op is looking for informed opinions to help him................not this.:shakehead

Flames 1st pick 05-19-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 66289225)
.

The op is looking for informed opinions to help him................not this.:shakehead

Yeah but this is HFboards;)

arsmaster* 05-19-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 66289225)
If you dont have any idea what you are talking about, you shouldnt bother.

The op is looking for informed opinions to help him................not this.:shakehead

Was thinking the same thing.

Bryanbryoil 05-19-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 66289225)
If you dont have any idea what you are talking about, you shouldnt bother.

The op is looking for informed opinions to help him................not this.:shakehead

If you disagree with him, why don't you chime in with your list?

I am the Liquor 05-19-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 66292361)
If you disagree with him, why don't you chime in with your list?

Because I dont know anything about Wennberg.

I also think it is difficult comparing players from different leagues.

Domi probably has the highest offensive upside.

Lazar/Horvat are the best defensively/two way players and are probably the more physical of the players on the list with Lazar being the most physical, but Domi can hit too. Gauthier isnt physical at all imo but is huge and is also good both offensively and defensively.

That's all Ive got.

Oh, Horvat is a good passer, Lazar has a good shot, Domi is probably the fastest.

Intangiblezzz 05-19-2013 04:49 PM

Suddenly everyone is so high on Horvat and most people really dont know Lazar and Wennberg.:laugh:

Intangiblezzz 05-19-2013 05:14 PM

Offensive upside
Domi
Horvat
Lazar
Wennberg
Gauthier

Defensive play
Horvat
Gauthier
Wennberg
Lazar
Domi

Physicality
Lazar
Domi
Horvat
Gauthier
Wennberg

Skating (speed, acceleration, and agility)
Wennberg
Domi
Lazar
Horvat
Gauthier

Passing
Horvat
Domi
Wennberg
Gauthier
Lazar

Shot selection
Lazar
Domi
Horvat
Wennberg
Gauthier

Hockey IQ
Domi
Horvat
Gauthier
Wennberg
Lazar

Bust Potential
Horvat(Lowest)
Lazar
Wennberg
Gauthier
Domi(Highest)

Intangiblezzz 05-19-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17Kurri (Post 66288235)
Offensive upside

Gauthier
Domi
Lazar
Horvat
Wennberg

Defensive play

Horvat
Lazar
Wennberg
Gauthier
Domi


Physicality

Lazar
Domi
Horvat
Gauthier
Wennberg

Skating (speed, acceleration, and agility)

Wennberg
Domi
Lazar
Horvat
Gauthier

Passing

Horvat
Domi
Lazar
Gauthier
Wennberg

Shot selection

Domi
Horvat
Lazar
Gauthier
Wennberg

Hockey IQ

Domi
Horvat
Lazar
Wennberg
Gauthier

Bust Potential (from lowest to highest)

Lazar
Horvat
Domi
Gauthier
Wennberg

He has the least offensive potential of the bunch. That is the big question mark on him.

Kimahri 05-19-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeHabsMan (Post 66295567)
Offensive upside
Domi
Horvat
Lazar
Wennberg
Gauthier

Defensive play
Horvat
Gauthier
Wennberg
Lazar
Domi

Physicality
Lazar
Domi
Horvat
Gauthier
Wennberg

Skating (speed, acceleration, and agility)
Wennberg
Domi
Horvat
Lazar
Gauthier

Passing
Horvat
Domi
Wennberg
Gauthier
Lazar

Shot selection
Lazar
Domi
Horvat
Wennberg
Gauthier

Hockey IQ
Domi
Horvat
Gauthier
Wennberg
Lazar

Bust Potential
Horvat(Lowest)
Lazar
Wennberg
Gauthier
Domi(Highest)

I like this list. Only change I'd make is switching Horvat and Lazar under 'skating'. And maybe Lazar and Wennberg for offensive upside, but they're so close, IMO, it doesn't really matter.

Intangiblezzz 05-19-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimahri (Post 66297463)
I like this list. Only change I'd make is switching Horvat and Lazar under 'skating'. And maybe Lazar and Wennberg for offensive upside, but they're so close, IMO, it doesn't really matter.

Thanks.

This is very close. I guess it depends how much I see them and which games. Very slight differences though.

Brewster 05-19-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner (Post 66286405)
Offensive upside
Defensive play

Horvat
Gauthier
Wennberg
Domi
Lazar

Physicality

Domi
Gauthier
Horvat
Lazar
Wennberg

I can't claim to have see any of the other four players to any extent, but having watched Lazar on the Oil Kings this year I have a difficult time believing he is at the bottom at both of these categories. Lazar is excellent defensively and has an outstanding ability to lay effective, solid bodychecks onto opponents.

Also, if Lazar also has the least skating ability of the group, those other four are special skaters indeed.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 05-19-2013 06:02 PM

Gauthier is going to be a steal at this draft if he slips like many lists and people suggest. Another name that's been quiet since his injury is William Carrier. He was slated to be a first rounder before being injured. Both are going to be solid NHLers in my eyes..

Intangiblezzz 05-19-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewster (Post 66298601)
I can't claim to have see any of the other four players to any extent, but having watched Lazar on the Oil Kings this year I have a difficult time believing he is at the bottom at both of these categories. Lazar is excellent defensively and has an outstanding ability to lay effective, solid bodychecks onto opponents.

Also, if Lazar also has the least skating ability of the group, those other four are special skaters indeed.

I have seen all of them and he is at least top 2 defensively and physically.

Skating he is behind Wennberg and Domi. He and Horvat are very close. He is ahead of Gauthier.

Intangiblezzz 05-19-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 (Post 66299303)
Gauthier is going to be a steal at this draft if he slips like many lists and people suggest. Another name that's been quiet since his injury is William Carrier. He was slated to be a first rounder before being injured. Both are going to be solid NHLers in my eyes..

Carrier will probably be a mid-2nd round pick.

Gauthier's offensive potential scares me. I think he will be a great 3rd line centre. Kind of like Martin Hanzal is he plays more physical.

DKQ 05-19-2013 06:14 PM

Offensive upside
Wennberg
Domi
Lazar
Gauthier
Horvat

Defensive play
Horvat
Lazar
Gauthier
Wennberg
Domi

Physicality
Lazar
Horvat
Domi
Gauthier
Wennberg

Skating (speed, acceleration, and agility)
Domi
Wennberg
Lazar
Gauthier
Horvat

Passing
Wennberg
Domi
Gauthier
Horvat
Lazar

Shot selection
Lazar
Wennberg
Domi
Gauthier
Horvat

Hockey IQ
Wennberg
Gauthier
Horvat
Domi
Lazar

Bust Potential (from lowest to highest)
Horvat
Lazar
Domi
Gauthier
Wennberg

Edit: Ill add that I don't see Wennberg and Domi making the NHL as centers

I am the Liquor 05-19-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimahri (Post 66297463)
I like this list. Only change I'd make is switching Horvat and Lazar under 'skating'. And maybe Lazar and Wennberg for offensive upside, but they're so close, IMO, it doesn't really matter.

The "defensive" rankings are out to lunch. As are the "skating" rankings. This poster clearly doesnt have a handle on Lazar's game.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.