HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Skate Problem ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1432663)

Brindy87 05-19-2013 10:01 PM

Skate Problem ?
 
Hi all! I've recently been having a little trouble with some skates I bought back last September. They are the Bauer x7.0 Vapor model, I play recreational hockey and I know those skates are probably a tad advanced for me, but a friend of mine strongly recommended them. The skates have been fine for the most part since I purchased them until just recently. I'm getting an extremely sharp pain in my lower in my right foot after about 15-20 minutes of skating during games. I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing the pain. I have never really had any ankle trouble until now and did not sustain any injury of any sort in that area, so naturally i'm very confused as to what I should do next. My first idea was to try and have them baked again at my LHS, I called them and they said they would bake them for free even though the skates were not originally purchased through them. I was also planning on purchasing the SuperFeet yellow insoles, many of my teammates have raved about the support they offer and how they feel their skating has improved since putting them in. My big question is, would I really be able to bake them this far down the road when in about 3 months they will be one year old? Part of me has always wanted to bake them again because I felt I did not do a good enough job contouring them to my foot when I first purchased them, I'm just unsure if going through this process will help at all since I thought most of the pain felt from skates is in the initial break in period. I would really hate to have this problem continue and worry about making another investment into another pair of skates, but it's simply too hard to play through the pain in my lower ankle. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much for reading.

AIREAYE 05-19-2013 10:20 PM

Where does it hurt? Were you ever fitted properly for those skates or did you just pick a size and bought them?

Yes they can be re-baked, slide the SF in place after they come out of the oven.

AIREAYE 05-19-2013 10:20 PM

edit : double post

Brindy87 05-19-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 66319651)
Where does it hurt? Were you ever fitted properly for those skates or did you just pick a size and bought them?

Yes they can be re-baked, slide the SF in place after they come out of the oven.

I'm sorry for not being more specific, the pain is just slightly below my ankle bone on my right foot. I don't think I was properly fitted for the skates, I was going off the size I wore from my previous skates (CCM 09). Weird thing is, they were fine for a while, but now are giving me lots of problems. I went to a Hockey Giant when I purchased them and they had one sales associate working the skate room and he was pretty overwhelmed with parents and other customers getting skates fitted for their kids. I should have been much more meticulous with a skate that was awfully expensive, i'll definitely know better next time.

AIREAYE 05-19-2013 10:46 PM

You got that right. Get them re-baked and see if that helps. Get fitted for Superfeet this time.

Regular insoles out, into the oven and trimmed Superfeet in once they come out.

Brindy87 05-19-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 66322119)
You got that right. Get them re-baked and see if that helps. Get fitted for Superfeet this time.

Regular insoles out, into the oven and trimmed Superfeet in once they come out.

Thank you so much for your help, I'll post back if the problem persists.

danisonfire 05-19-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brindy87 (Post 66320465)
I'm sorry for not being more specific, the pain is just slightly below my ankle bone on my right foot. I don't think I was properly fitted for the skates, I was going off the size I wore from my previous skates (CCM 09). Weird thing is, they were fine for a while, but now are giving me lots of problems. I went to a Hockey Giant when I purchased them and they had one sales associate working the skate room and he was pretty overwhelmed with parents and other customers getting skates fitted for their kids. I should have been much more meticulous with a skate that was awfully expensive, i'll definitely know better next time.

It could be one of two things:

1) They need remolded and were done incorrectly
2) The boot itself can be defective. I had skates growing up that were top of the line at the time (900$) which were giving me a similar problem. I tried remoulding and they were still causing a lot of pain. After another few times on the ice I took them back and received a brand new pair. They found when they looked closer the mold on the boot was defective and the reason for the pain. After receiving the new pair, I never experienced this issue again.

AIREAYE 05-20-2013 12:02 AM

Mmm, no, it would be more likely that the boot not fit at all rather than defective.

danisonfire 05-20-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 66325167)
Mmm, no, it would be more likely that the boot not fit at all rather than defective.

The mold at the side of the boot was defective, the shape was not remaining the same after molding it. Was only effecting my right ankle, after getting the new pair (same size as before), no ankle had a problem. If the boot was the wrong size, I wouldn't have used the same size for 2 years with 0 issues.

wondeROY 05-20-2013 09:37 AM

Man I would NEVER buy a skate that I wasn't able to try on. Buying sticks and other gear sight unseen is one thing, but skates you should never buy without being fitted first. Yes you can have them baked and punched out in the area that is bothering you, but if that doesn't work you simply might have to sell those and go find some that fit your feet.

I've tried on the Vapor series for years, and they have never fit my feet, I'm way to flat footed for those. The supreme line however fits me better. If nothing, you've at least learned a lesson I hope.

AIREAYE 05-20-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danisonfire (Post 66326225)
The mold at the side of the boot was defective, the shape was not remaining the same after molding it. Was only effecting my right ankle, after getting the new pair (same size as before), no ankle had a problem. If the boot was the wrong size, I wouldn't have used the same size for 2 years with 0 issues.

Understood, but you said that it could only have been one of two things, of which the second is unlikely, whereas an ill-fitting skate given how he bought the skates is much more likely, which you didn't mention.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.