HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What constitutes "high trade value"? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=14327)

Jon Burke 09-25-2003 02:38 PM

What constitutes "high trade value"?

I was just wondering what you guys figure constitutes high trade value? It seems that there are a lot of trade proposals nowadays and I think it would be interesting to hear some people's input on what makes a player have high trade value. Here's my view...

I'd say someone with high trade value should be relatively young or in their prime. Generally people on "the wrong side of thirty" are beginning to decline and thus aren't as good as they used to be. Thanks to improved conditioning, this isn't necessarily the case anymore. Some players who are thirty have very good trade value, so there are a few exceptions.

Also, the player should have proven he can generate offense or that he can play good defense. Being solid in both areas is a tremendous bonus that boosts trade value fairly significantly.

Another key thing in high trade value is upside. If a player still has his best years ahead AND has already proven to be either a competent offensive player or a competent defensive player, he will have very good trade value. For example, a player like Dany Heatley who already has scored 87 points and is just 21 or 22 (I'm not sure admittedly) has immeasurable trade value.

Another key factor in trade value is intangibles such as leadership and work ethic. If a guy is a good leader who works his butt off every shift, then he's going to be coveted by a lot of teams and thus have high trade value. It is also a very big boost in trade value when a player shows up in clutch situations - i.e. the playoffs.

What's your thoughts?

Gee Wally 09-25-2003 02:47 PM

I agree with the list you have started..
I would add "contract" or "salary" since we are on the cusp of contracts really do/will matter , IMO.

incawg 09-25-2003 02:48 PM

In today's NHL I would say that salary plays a huge role in trade value as well.

Jon Burke 09-25-2003 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee Wally
I agree with the list you have started..
I would add "contract" or "salary" since we are on the cusp of contracts really do/will matter , IMO.

Dang, I forgot that! I meant to add that, but completely forgot. I'm losing it and I'm not even 20! :D

zoidberg 09-25-2003 03:18 PM

Gee Wallys like 200 so thats a burn man.

Mike8 09-25-2003 04:04 PM

Danrik, off-topic question for you: did you go by a different name here in the past?

On-topic: some aspects such as size, strength, conditioning levels, contract situation are very important and often aren't included in the 'thought process' when people make proposals here.

Another important determinate in evaluating a player's trade value is their position and the depth of that position around the league. By way of example, I would say goaltender is the most important position for a team to enjoy contending status (and eventually win the Cup), but goaltenders have less trade value than say a number one defenseman or number one center simply because there are more quality goaltenders in the league than there are number one defensemen.

This is also what makes Gauthier, who is a #4-5 defenseman, more valuable on the trade market than a player like Zednik in my mind. There's simply more Zednik-types than there are punishing hitters in the league. And given the amount of big forwards, it's never a bad thing to have punishing hitters that can get under the opposition's skin and shadow opponents well. This is why Kasparaitis fetched a decent amount in his deadline deal and eventual contract, and why Gauthier is worth more than most people here seem to give him credit for.

Trottier 09-25-2003 04:38 PM

In order:

1) Player's contract: length, salary, arbitration, FA rights.

2) Supply (are there other similar players available?); and

2B) Demand (are there other teams pursuing the player in a trade?)

steveburfoot 09-25-2003 06:42 PM

Has Injury history been mentioned?

andora 09-25-2003 07:04 PM

joke telling abilities and ability to withstand from affairs

Jon Burke 09-25-2003 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Danrik, off-topic question for you: did you go by a different name here in the past?

I'm most ashamed to admit that I went by the nick of my initials (JB) for a very long time. What a boring nick, huh?

Jon Burke 09-25-2003 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andora's box
joke telling abilities and ability to withstand from affairs

Very underrated aspects of a player's trade value indeed...

Mike8 09-25-2003 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danrik
I'm most ashamed to admit that I went by the nick of my initials (JB) for a very long time. What a boring nick, huh?

JB! I had wondered where you had gone. It's a fine nick, no more boring than mine. :p

Jon Burke 09-25-2003 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
JB! I had wondered where you had gone.

I suppose you were relieved that I disappeared... :p

MVP 09-25-2003 08:44 PM

Young, good size, obvious above average skill set, tough and under value contract.

Ajacied 09-25-2003 08:51 PM

1a) Potential (age)
1b) Contract
2) Current production and hype
3) Durabillity
4) Position
5) Rareness
6) Style

KOMO_ROCKS 09-26-2003 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP
Young, good size, obvious above average skill set, tough and under value contract.

along with potential and character

#37-#93-#27* 09-26-2003 03:26 PM

A player's importance to their respective team.
ie: De Vries on the Rangers

How valuable he is to that team.
ie: Linden on the Canucks

Quantity or availability of a replacement to that player.
ie: Rangers lacking prospects, Norstrom on the Kings - no adaquate replacement

Gee Wally 09-26-2003 03:34 PM

one more addition in a GM placing a value..

is who is the player's agent..

Trottier 09-26-2003 07:13 PM

Personally think it is limiting to necessarily include "potential" among the list of things that constitute trade value. Without question, in a majority of deals, yes. but often, come trade deadline time, for a contending team making a move, the future is the last thing on their minds. They want a player who can contribute right now. So it all depends on the situation.

Ironchef Chris Wok* 09-27-2003 07:06 PM

(in no particular order)
1. Contract
2. Age
3. Skill set
4. Attitude
5. Production
6. Durability
7. Size (The Bob Clarke theory) (Seriuosly the big guy has some advantages the little guy can NEVER get. Size matters, and you can't teach it. But it's not the be all and end all. GO DINO!!)