HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   An interesting Ref's comment. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1432849)

varanger94 05-20-2013 10:53 AM

An interesting Ref's comment.

I watched the game late last night. I don’t know if it was discussed, but I was livid at what Dan O’Hallaran said to Torts at the end of the second period. After Callahan checked Boychuk, Boychuk retaliated by punching Callahan in the face, right in front of the Rangers bench and O’hallaran. Torts was screaming at O’hallaran and Maguire said O’hallaran’s response was “ Hey, what are you mad at, that’s the way you like the game played.” Boston scores in the first minute of the third period. We should have been on the PP . So is that why he didn’t make the call. Or is there a rule book that dictates when a call should be made. O’Hallaran sounds like he has a personal grudge against Torts. Maybe Dan shouldn’t be able to Ref any Ranger games in the future, if calling a game is determined by what a Ref thinks of a Coach. Of coarse there was no comment from NBC in between periods. Two seconds on the game analysis , 5 min. on the rest of the playoffs and usually followed by a story on Cindy Crosby for the remainder of intermission.

CostaTheCrazyGreek 05-20-2013 01:44 PM

One more reason why I REFUSE to give the NHL any of my money.

adam graves 05-20-2013 01:47 PM

same exact thoughts. Torts should send recording to NHL... oh who am I kidding.

Green Blob* 05-20-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varanger94 (Post 66333849)
I watched the game late last night. I don’t know if it was discussed, but I was livid at what Dan O’Hallaran said to Torts at the end of the second period. After Callahan checked Boychuk, Boychuk retaliated by punching Callahan in the face, right in front of the Rangers bench and O’hallaran. Torts was screaming at O’hallaran and Maguire said O’hallaran’s response was “ Hey, what are you mad at, that’s the way you like the game played.” Boston scores in the first minute of the third period. We should have been on the PP . So is that why he didn’t make the call. Or is there a rule book that dictates when a call should be made. O’Hallaran sounds like he has a personal grudge against Torts. Maybe Dan shouldn’t be able to Ref any Ranger games in the future, if calling a game is determined by what a Ref thinks of a Coach. Of coarse there was no comment from NBC in between periods. Two seconds on the game analysis , 5 min. on the rest of the playoffs and usually followed by a story on Cindy Crosby for the remainder of intermission.

Everytime O’hallaran refs a Rangers game i cringe. Guy always call a terrible game. Easily one of of my most disliked referees.

Dactyl* 05-20-2013 02:25 PM

that comment proves he saw cally get punched and blatantly chose to not call it. this leagues refs are such bs its a joke.

Clowes Line 05-20-2013 02:27 PM

The greatest part about yesterday's game was Brassard having his stick chopped right in front of the goal line referee, who was staring right at the play. The blue line referee made the call. Incredible.

SnowblindNYR 05-20-2013 02:27 PM

Yeah I heard that but didn't post how disgusting it was. Sounds like it's an agenda that he has. Basically calling it that way because the Rangers supposedly do those things and it also seems like he has something against Torts.

Dactyl* 05-20-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clowes Line (Post 66340771)
The greatest part about yesterday's game was Brassard having his stick chopped right in front of the goal line referee, who was staring right at the play. The blue line referee made the call. Incredible.

was that o'hallaran who didnt make the call?

Clowes Line 05-20-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blooblood (Post 66341001)
was that o'hallaran who didnt make the call?

After google imaging O'Hallaran, yes it was. :shakehead

Dactyl* 05-20-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clowes Line (Post 66341131)
After google imaging O'Hallaran, yes it was. :shakehead

wtf? those 2 calls should be enough to make a strong case for the league holding refs responsible and allowing challenges from coaches

Machinehead 05-20-2013 02:43 PM

I'm not saying O' Halloran is right, but this is the kind of stuff that happens when you have a coach that just about everyone in the league hates.

TheTakedown 05-20-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR (Post 66340789)
Yeah I heard that but didn't post how disgusting it was. Sounds like it's an agenda that he has. Basically calling it that way because the Rangers supposedly do those things and it also seems like he has something against Torts.

That ref should be fired... seriously... I think even Chara knew he was going to get called, and it took an extra 3-5 seconds for the CENTER ICE REFEREE to make the call..

****ing dickhole. The guy should never ref another game these playoffs

Megustaelhockey 05-20-2013 02:54 PM

The only way to make on-ice officials irrelevant... Play better ******* hockey.

mullichicken25 05-20-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 66341493)
I'm not saying O' Halloran is right, but this is the kind of stuff that happens when you have a coach that just about everyone in the league hates.

im pretty sure that by most accounts Torts actually has a very good relationship with the refs

Sam and joe have spoken about it on more than one occasion.

Tawnos 05-20-2013 03:00 PM

On the Brassard stick call...

if the ref looked away at something else, even for a second, to see what was going on in the slot, he would've missed that the stick was broken. It immediately wedged back to the point where it looked whole. I had to see the replay to realize that the stick actually broke right in the middle, having assumed it was one of those ones up by the hands when Brassard picked it up.

bucckevin 05-20-2013 03:00 PM

play better. refs didn't make them lose. they were 0-5 on the pp in game 2. the hit by the rangers player was high and super late, the retaliation was nothing, so the ref let it go.

varanger94 05-20-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullichicken25 (Post 66342123)
im pretty sure that by most accounts Torts actually has a very good relationship with the refs

Sam and joe have spoken about it on more than one occasion.

Sam and Joe often comment about it. You really don't hear Torts say anything bad about the Refs in his Press conferences. Even yesterday he didn't say anything about O'Hallaran.

Clowes Line 05-20-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 66342245)

if the ref looked away at something else, even for a second, to see what was going on in the slot, he would've missed that the stick was broken. It immediately wedged back to the point where it looked whole. I had to see the replay to realize that the stick actually broke right in the middle, having assumed it was one of those ones up by the hands when Brassard picked it up.

And upon watching the replay, he was watching the play the whole time.

Clowes Line 05-20-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucckevin (Post 66342257)
play better. refs didn't make them lose. they were 0-5 on the pp in game 2. the hit by the rangers player was high and super late, the retaliation was nothing, so the ref let it go.

It's not about winning and losing. It's about the principle. The refereeing in this league is ****ed.

Callagraves 05-20-2013 03:08 PM

Once he didn't make the initial call, he COULDN'T turn around and call it once Torts started yelling at him. For an official to change his decision based on a coach yelling at him would be end of the official. The opposing coach would start getting on him, and every single call would be challenged and questioned.

He should have made the call. He shouldn't have said anything back to Torts, and if he did, it should have been "I didn't see a punch", or "It wasn't a penalty". By saying what he said, he invited doubt into his officiating.

At this point, it's a nonissue. We're not Caps fans.

varanger94 05-20-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Nobody is saying that the Refs made them lose. The comment is the problem. The retaliation was a punch in the face.

haveandare 05-20-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 66341493)

Just about everyone on HFNYR =/= Just about everyone in the NHL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callagraves (Post 66342565)
Once he didn't make the initial call, he COULDN'T turn around and call it once Torts started yelling at him. For an official to change his decision based on a coach yelling at him would be end of the official. The opposing coach would start getting on him, and every single call would be challenged and questioned.

He should have made the call. He shouldn't have said anything back to Torts, and if he did, it should have been "I didn't see a punch", or "It wasn't a penalty". By saying what he said, he invited doubt into his officiating.

At this point, it's a nonissue. We're not Caps fans.

I agree with this. The ref made a dumb comment, but no ref is going to change a call based on getting yelled at, doesn't matter by who.

NYROrtsFan 05-20-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Even if the Rangers won, you don't think what the Ref said is a huge problem? What's the point in watching the damn game if the Refs just dictate how the game is going to be played based on their mood?

adam graves 05-20-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Irrelevant.

the issue of the thread is.

MTrangers 05-20-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 66342245)

Well that would be his mistake too. That would be the other refs job to be picking up the play away from the puck. Not sure why he would look away when a player is looking for a takeaway on the puck carrier.